Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I did not enjoy Bullet Train at all and turned it off halfway through. Guy Richie/Quentin Tarantino at home is a pretty accurate description. Some people like it, but I just found it irritating and, most importantly, not funny. ATJ reminded me of Tim Roth but minus any charisma, so he was just kind of stupid and annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot
I thought Guy Ritchie was Guy Ritchie at home tbh

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
oh it gets worse

https://twitter.com/pooroldrolotony/status/1770093102646067630?s=46&t=YuqSROOCXrcRx1gn_5vV7Q

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s not like the Bond films have a heritage of hiring good directors. Also a Nolan Bond film would be incredibly up its own rear end.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Oh, this is going to be a train wreck.

:yeshaha:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Didn't he just direct one of the worst spy movies in recent memory

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I like the composition of this tweet because it makes it look like the little gun is shooting him in the head

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I haven’t seen a Kingsman movie since the first, and thought it was fine. But every time I hear he’s further expanding the ‘universe’ I wish he’d stop.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
The running Thomas the Tank Engine bit in Bullet Train was no where near as funny or cute as the movie seemed to think it was

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Casimir Radon posted:

I haven’t seen a Kingsman movie since the first, and thought it was fine. But every time I hear he’s further expanding the ‘universe’ I wish he’d stop.

He’s basically been remaking die another day level bond films ever since

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I genuinely liked the first Kingsman and thought that it was a fun Bond subversion idea that was solid even if it wasn't high cinema or necessarily "good." I thought that the second was messy but fine and had some really good dumb fights and style even if the movie was eh and it made some really lovely decisions with the overall plot.

The King's Man is pretty garbage. On the small pile of movies that I regret bothering to watch. I know "It's like X movies stapled/spliced together" is kind of a bad or lazy take...but it's about 3 movies stapled together and they're all bad. They have a little fun with the Rasputin section but that's about it. It takes a detour to be a serious War Is Hell movie and it kills the pacing. It tries to be fun at times but has a bunch of sad baggage. It starts to do silly, fun alternative history and then runs away scared from it and turns into really awful Forrest Gump poo poo going "Remember this? Lol, it's sort of like Thing that happened! Rasputin survives the poisoning and then gets shot!" It tries to do nuance and then runs away from it and can't pull it off anyway. It has weirdly bad politics. Like weirdly off. For example, canonically they go into the Boer War and the concentration camps and set up Kircher as a bad dude along with Britain being a lesser evil by a hair...then eulogize the hell out of his death and they make the whole central conflict with the villain about saving the British empire. Just messy.

I didn't see Argylle but I heard that it was even worse, so lol.

Or just this...

CelticPredator posted:

He’s basically been remaking die another day level bond films ever since

I guess liking the car chase through the ice hotel as a kid is the equivalent of liking the Rasputin dance fight.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 20, 2024

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Just remembering they were so confident about that movie they were planning to make a spinoff series featuring halle berry's character lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

“Yo mama!”

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

It takes a detour to be a serious War Is Hell movie and it kills the pacing.

Literally the only war is hell thing, other than Das Boot, that I felt accomplished the job.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
When the stitched oner trench warfare scene started I became absolutely convinced that someone should forbid Vaughn from using the device ever again

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Charismatic Bond is dead. Give me uncharismatic Bond!

It's my opinion that Bond is symbolic of the 2nd Elizabethan Era and should probably stay there.

In the Post-Brexit, New Carolean Age, I cannot see Bond as anything but an uncharismatic Bond whose home nation is clearly in decline.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

That's what makes him qualified to do Bond.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I liked bullet train. It was stupid

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Richard Ayoade should be Bond for pure representation reasons. We haven't had a Norwegian Bond yet and he's half-Norwegian.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Vegetable posted:

It’s not like the Bond films have a heritage of hiring good directors. Also a Nolan Bond film would be incredibly up its own rear end.

Nolan Bond would be redundant. Inception, Dark Knight Rises, and Tenet all had obvious Bond influences, while in turn Skyfall clearly was drawing from Nolan. The circle is already complete.

What makes him good to do Bond, the Broccolis can control him in a way they wouldn't be able to do for Boyle or Nolan.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
John Waters is apparently back directing again, they should of gotten him to do the next bond.

Ah well, maybe the one after.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Would be absolutely fascinated with what John Waters would do with a $200 million budget and free reign of an IP.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Does this mean they’ll actually make James Bond a rapist?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Monica Bellucci posted:

Literally the only war is hell thing, other than Das Boot, that I felt accomplished the job.

you've either seen exactly 2 war movies or this is the wildest thing ever posted here

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Chairman Capone posted:

Nolan Bond would be redundant. Inception, Dark Knight Rises, and Tenet all had obvious Bond influences, while in turn Skyfall clearly was drawing from Nolan. The circle is already complete.

What makes him good to do Bond, the Broccolis can control him in a way they wouldn't be able to do for Boyle or Nolan.

Was gonna say, Batman is already basically American Bond. Come to think of it he's basically raised by retired Bond.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

you've either seen exactly 2 war movies or this is the wildest thing ever posted here

It's a common sentiment. The idea is that no matter how anti-war the intent of the filmmakers, most war films inadvertently and inherently glorify violence, and the protagonists almost always come off as heroic and noble. Whether it's making an explosion have a visceral impact or the fetishization of the machinery of war or the thrilling intensity of an aerial dogfight, even if the message is "this is all horrific and traumatizing for the characters" the audience is still titillated and thrilled, consciously or subconsciously. Maybe it's apocryphal, but they say military recruitment always goes up after big films release, no matter how anti-war the message at its heart.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

feedmyleg posted:

It's a common sentiment. The idea is that no matter how anti-war the intent of the filmmakers, most war films inadvertently and inherently glorify violence, and the protagonists almost always come off as heroic and noble. Whether it's making an explosion have a visceral impact or the fetishization of the machinery of war or the thrilling intensity of an aerial dogfight, even if the message is "this is all horrific and traumatizing for the characters" the audience is still titillated and thrilled, consciously or subconsciously. Maybe it's apocryphal, but they say military recruitment always goes up after big films release, no matter how anti-war the message at its heart.

So The King's Man avoids this by being too bad to glamorize anything? :psyduck: It's a novel approach I guess.

mycot fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 20, 2024

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh. I didn't see what it was in reference to. Yeah that's nuts.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 minutes!
Idk I think The Thin Red Line manages to show that war is hell without glamorizing it

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Shageletic posted:

Haven't seen it! Is it worth watching?

Did you see Smoking Aces? If no watch that instead.

Did you like the aforementioned?

Yes: see Bullet Train instead of Smoking Aces 2.

No: Don't see Bullet Train.

And put me down for thinking that the bit with the single shot of French countryside turning into a quagmire was good. As was the one with the improbably large pile of artillery casings. Shame about the rest of the movie.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Vegetable posted:

Nolan bond would be worse than Quantum of Solace and Spectre

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Nolan has already done his cool Bond bits in Inception and Tenet, no need for any more

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

mycot posted:

So The King's Man avoids this by being too bad to glamorize anything? :psyduck: It's a novel approach I guess.

elem klimov eat your heart out

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://x.com/ew/status/1770451761431462317?s=46

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I know it's been said before but with that title, if they don't get to do a third there's something wrong with this world.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Zero_Grade posted:

Spends the entire runtime of the movie having an exhaustive internal monologue about all the various foods and drinks he's consuming, then gets captured and does nothing of use while the Bond Girl saves the day.

The Dr. Otto and the Riddle of the Gloom Beam we deserve

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

dr_rat posted:

I know it's been said before but with that title, if they don't get to do a third there's something wrong with this world.

"we here at Warner are so sorry about the lack of consent so b2 is woke we promise"

*B³ is cancelled*

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Chairman Capone posted:

I thought the OP was referring to Nolan because Tenent was loving horrendous.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Just remembering they were so confident about that movie they were planning to make a spinoff series featuring halle berry's character lol

LOL I remember this

Still, Die Another Day is is crap but it's like 10,000x better than Argylle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I haven’t seen it but the scenes I’ve seen put them at about the same length