Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
They effed up the emblem drops too. Their announcement said 30 minutes and 2 hours across all three, Twitch says one hour and three hours, and today's only officially lasted 55 minutes. :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

They also have the trashed tower environment that hasn't been used since Zero Hour, they could pull that out for a quick hit

They're talking about Onslaught right now, and it seems like, finally, a traditional horde mode. Kill waves of enemies to earn currency, spend the currency on upgrades including traps and defense gadgets, keep going as things get harder

Dang it. Will I have to buy a season for this?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Failson posted:

Dang it. Will I have to buy a season for this?

Nope it's free, drops April 9

Kammat posted:

They effed up the emblem drops too. Their announcement said 30 minutes and 2 hours across all three, Twitch says one hour and three hours, and today's only officially lasted 55 minutes. :doh:

I was wondering about this...

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Onslaught looks fun gamers

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

The Ghostbusters pack is out, and it's $25. No shader, just the kickass ship, a very meh sparrow, and a Slimer ghost shell that's done in the FotL style of "Construction paper taped together" so it doesn't even glow. Fuckin bummer man. I might spend :10bux: for that Ecto-1 ship but that's about it.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

T1g4h posted:

The Ghostbusters pack is out, and it's $25. No shader, just the kickass ship, a very meh sparrow, and a Slimer ghost shell that's done in the FotL style of "Construction paper taped together" so it doesn't even glow. Fuckin bummer man. I might spend :10bux: for that Ecto-1 ship but that's about it.

As much as I love the ship, $25 is asking a bit much for that.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Mesadoram posted:

As much as I love the ship, $25 is asking a bit much for that.

You can buy it, the shell, and the sparrow individually thankfully. Ship by itself is only 1k silver / $10, so that's my plan.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

T1g4h posted:

You can buy it, the shell, and the sparrow individually thankfully. Ship by itself is only 1k silver / $10, so that's my plan.

While still expensive, that is much more reasonable :colbert:.

Anyone else still not pre order the expansion yet? I am the only one out of my friends to not get it yet.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

naw, im dragging my feet on getting it. I'll probably still end up playing day 1, but just haven't felt like shelling out for it - the pre-order exotic just didnt seem exciting enough to rush and grab it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Oxyclean posted:

naw, im dragging my feet on getting it. I'll probably still end up playing day 1, but just haven't felt like shelling out for it - the pre-order exotic just didnt seem exciting enough to rush and grab it.

:same:

There's still time for me to be convinced to preorder it, especially if the Into the Light content drops are fun

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

haveblue posted:

:same:

There's still time for me to be convinced to preorder it, especially if the Into the Light content drops are fun

I'm just not going to get it. It cannot possibly be good, or even just fine. And if I ever feel the desire to know just how big a failure the story turns out to be, well, YouTube exists.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Yeah this is the first destiny expansion I haven't preordered, and gotten the deluxe edition for. I'm gonna let them sweat. And if they're not announcing a new subclass I'm straight up not buying it. That's my proof they're actually overdelivering promise.

But into the light does look fun. I'll give it a try.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mesadoram posted:

Anyone else still not pre order the expansion yet? I am the only one out of my friends to not get it yet.
I am going to continue my streak of:

a) Work out buying the basic version + season passes individually comes out more expensive than just buying the deluxe version, realise I am going to buy the seasons anyway, buy the deluxe version, the seasons are poo poo and I regret it,

b) just buy the basic version because it was (a) last time and then everyone says the seasons absolutely slap and I buy them anyway

c) goto a

I'm thinking (b) this time?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Just buy tfs basic and see what's up imo bc so much is unknown.

Disclaimer: I got the deluxe for the tower, but if you don't want that I'd def take a wait and see for episodes

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Waroduce posted:

Disclaimer: I got the deluxe for the tower

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
https://twitter.com/BungieHelp/status/1770189914627579947?s=20

They can't unfuck the twitch drops, so they'll be staying live until 11:30 AM PT for the next two streams so people can make up the time.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Mesadoram posted:

I'll probably get it launch day at this point.

They have me for the campaign because recognizing the sunk cost fallacy I'm lodged in doesn't let me escape it, and they have me for the raid that will be attached to the campaign because even at their worst, Bungie still makes raids worthwhile experiences and there remains basically nothing remotely like them in the FPS genre. They don't have me for anything else after that yet, and it is 100% on them and what they release in the expansion on if I'll consider sticking around for anything after that.

I am hoping that the sales patterns of Lightfall will convince them both to release a better product and to be more up front about what is coming in all the time after launch to retain players, but it's a dim hope. We are still far off but I am noting no announcement of a second raid, new or returning, in the next year, which is pretty depressing.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Yeah this is the first destiny expansion I haven't preordered, and gotten the deluxe edition for. I'm gonna let them sweat. And if they're not announcing a new subclass I'm straight up not buying it. That's my proof they're actually overdelivering promise.

But into the light does look fun. I'll give it a try.

I mean, they've been pretty clear there is no new subclass.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Yeah this is the first destiny expansion I haven't preordered, and gotten the deluxe edition for. I'm gonna let them sweat. And if they're not announcing a new subclass I'm straight up not buying it.

?????

If there was a new subclass, you don't think they wouldn't have been screaming about it as loud as possible for the last seven months?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

MJeff posted:

?????

If there was a new subclass, you don't think they wouldn't have been screaming about it as loud as possible for the last seven months?

Yes. Absolutely. But since Joe's announcement of re-attempt in April those are my terms for believing they're actually putting in the work to exceed expectations. Otherwise it's clear it's all talk and will never get better.

https://www.ign.com/articles/bungie-shakes-up-marathon-leadership-removes-chris-barrett-as-game-director

Especially when it's clear the team believes they're going to be laid off (why put in hard work if so?) and plan to move to Marathon anyway.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 20, 2024

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Those are really bad terms!

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Nah. I can set expectations however I want actually. If Bungie wants to sell me on the idea that this is going to be better than Forsaken, which is what I require to purchase the next expansion, that's where I'm at right now.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Forsaken, the expansion that...also didn't have a new subclass?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Yes because it would be "better than Forsaken" as they claim. So, yep. That checks out.

You're not going to win this one. That's a completely reasonable expectation, seeing as this is the absolute final leg of the story and potentially the franchise.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Well Lock, Thundercrash, and Blade Barrage count as a new class if you ask me. They certainly added more to the game than Stasis (in the long run)

EDIT: christ I forgot that they added a new variant to all 9 subclasses. Forsaken had soooo much stuff in it.

Double Edit: a lot of it sucked and a ton of its legacy is just that it was better than D2Y1, but you certainly got your money's worth from that SKU

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 20, 2024

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Yes because it would be "better than Forsaken" as they claim. So, yep. That checks out.

You're not going to win this one. That's a completely reasonable expectation, seeing as this is the absolute final leg of the story and potentially the franchise.

Bungie posted:

To us the path forward is clear: We need to make The Final Shape an unforgettable Destiny experience. We want to build something that will be regarded alongside the best games we’ve ever made – a fitting culmination that honors the journey we’ve been on together for the past ten years. Forsaken, The Witch Queen, and The Taken King – these are the standard bearers we aim to live up to.

I see "live up to". I don't see "better than". I also don't see any expansions with a new subclass that they're saying they're trying to match, here.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Well Lock, Thundercrash, and Blade Barrage count as a new class if you ask me. They certainly added more to the game than Stasis (in the long run)

I mean by that logic the new supers and aspects would certainly count, although I don't think Solar Buddy, Twilight Arsenal or :flashfact: are gonna be quite as relevant as Middle Solar Warlock or Middle Solar Hunter were out of the box (Middle Arc Titan was a lot fun but actually pretty weak until Cuirass, Middle Void Warlock was insanely powerful in PvP and everything else was varying levels of mid-to-good, except Middle Arc Hunter, which was just totally useless until Arc 3.0).

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
No good point has ever followed 'By that logic' so I didnt read BUT I think TFS can be good even if it doesn't have a subclass. Or it can be bad even it does have a subclass, it aint matter

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
You're lying. You read it. You love reading my posts.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm still wondering what the deal was with that one dev leak that had red subclass. There was too much odd about it to be faked, but I suppose its something that just didn't make it for TFS' dev cycle or something.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's hard to compare the annual destiny expansions like they're apples to apples

Forsaken was an expansion but it was also tasked with dousing the dumpster fire of year 1.

Shadowkeep had effectively no budget or resources, and there was nothing broken that they needed to Fix, so they just threw spaghetti at the wall with things like Finishers (& simultaneously getting rid of OHK primaries since they were incompatible), Armor 3.0, Champions, Artifacts, etc., and had to skimp on things like a new planet, new strikes, etc

Beyond Light was cucked and hosed by the pandemic but was a solid effort by an effectively reborn and stable Bungie

Witch Queen was the almost literally the first time Bungie was able to put out content without any ongoing crisis. Across D1 and D2. And it shows!

Lightfall wasn't supposed to exist and is a Bottle Episode while they figure out TFS. Everything worth saying about Lightfall has long since been said

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Beyond Light was cucked and hosed by the pandemic but was a solid effort by an effectively reborn and stable Bungie

I was ready to quit at the end of Beyond Light vanilla but decided to give them one more chance with Season of the Chosen. And that was a good loving season. And it just kept getting better from there up until Witch Queen launch. Honestly I think Beyond Light's seasons were the best ones.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
On balance I prefer WQ and LF's seasons, WQ was just really really consistent, particularly from a story perspective and LF's seasons did some really neat experimentation with difficulty and the roguelike stuff. I don't look back on Splicer super fondly -- it had cool weapons, a great aesthetic and a good story with good themes (although the final cutscene made one absolutely tragic whiff in that Saint didn't use his Ward to shield the civilian Eliksni and bring that whole thing full circle) but the gameplay of the two activities was soooooooo boooooooooring. Hunt was a perfectly fine season though and Chosen and Lost are two of my favorites. Shattered Realm was so loving cool and I wish we got another super exploration-heavy activity like that sometime.

Incoming Chris post about how you can't compare Seasons to one another. 😔

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Honestly seasons are all the same. The ones I've liked have been when I was in the mood to play Destiny and the ones I've disliked were when I was bored of the game.

(only counting Shadowkeep through the present since seasons had a very different role/meaning in year 1 and 2)

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Man, y'all remember how much of a controversy using XIM was/n't back in the day? And now apparently people just blatantly rezedit?

lmao

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Despite that, and also feeling a lot of the bullshit aim that comes from playing against obvious xim and Cronos users, me, a lifetime 0.94 KD cruci player, managed to go to the lighthouse for the first time yesterday (without a carry, all solo) on a mercy card :unsmith: 7-1

please don't ask for my elo, I'm just happy I got there and got a few nice adept summoner rolls out of it

also my secret hack was to stop playing warlock and play void titan with Traveler's Chosen and Glacioclasm.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Forsaken and The Witch Queen were the best expansions and neither had a new subclass QED bitch

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Yes. Absolutely. But since Joe's announcement of re-attempt in April those are my terms for believing they're actually putting in the work to exceed expectations. Otherwise it's clear it's all talk and will never get better.

https://www.ign.com/articles/bungie-shakes-up-marathon-leadership-removes-chris-barrett-as-game-director

Especially when it's clear the team believes they're going to be laid off (why put in hard work if so?) and plan to move to Marathon anyway.

Speaking of Marathon...

https://twitter.com/MTBulletn/status/1770163647320412170?t=6meu0KIlfCtrDuNybqRf7Q&s=19

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

So are we a sword wielded by Durandal or nah?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

Forsaken and The Witch Queen were the best expansions and neither had a new subclass QED bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
9 new subclasses in Forsaken, and they didn't gently caress up the sandbox and slotting system by adding a new type of damage