Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Harrow posted:

One of the reasons I think the other worlds are "not real" or somehow immaterial or spiritual in nature is the descriptions from Zack and Biggs of how they ended up there. For Zack, one second he's facing all those troops and the next they're just gone. Biggs, meanwhile, describes the feeling of the wind like it could "pull the soul from [his] body."

It's like their souls were zapped out of reality at the moments of their deaths and brought Somewhere Else.

I think that's just how multiveraal t re avel works. Cloud and Aerith are also body jacking existing versions of themselves. If you dug up zacks body in the beagle timeline it'd still be there but his soul isn't in the lifestream, it's in another reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
This isn't exactly rebirth spoilers but I like that after Nibelheim, getting Hojo'd, 4 years of cryogenic stasis and one year of being drug around by Zack in a catatonic state, then freaking out again after Zack dies and wallowing in the gutters of the Midgar Slums like any Black Cloak, upon meeting Tifa again Cloud's brain immediately throws all his myriad trauma in a closet and boots up CoolGuy OS.

I can only hope that presenting Roche with a new motorcycle will allow him to do the same...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caidin posted:

This isn't exactly rebirth spoilers but I like that after Nibelheim, getting Hojo'd, 4 years of cryogenic stasis and one year of being drug around by Zack in a catatonic state, then freaking out again after Zack dies and wallowing in the gutters of the Midgar Slums like any Black Cloak, upon meeting Tifa again Cloud's brain immediately throws all his myriad trauma in a closet and boots up CoolGuy OS.

I can only hope that presenting Roche with a new motorcycle will allow him to do the same...

"Hmm, so I found my childhood friend in a stained SOLDIER uniform babbling in a gutter. Yeah, that seems normal."

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

"Hmm, so I found my childhood friend in a stained SOLDIER uniform babbling in a gutter. Yeah, that seems normal."

When your man is that pretty, you wipe the dirt off and take him home and figure out the details later.

Details include being great at killing people and guess what her side gig needs.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Caidin posted:

Problem
Your poo poo is *apart*, and it's rather unbecoming of a SOLDIER and a human being. It's supposed to be the opposite of that: *together*. Compressed in a small area. To achieve a solid level of poo poo-compression, squeeze your butt-cheeks together for 30 minutes. Do something similar with the two hemispheres of your brain. Talk to people, maybe that will help.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Veryslightlymad posted:

Also has some resemblance to something you might see in the Malazan Book of the Fallen. Like a halfway point between the Edur and Imass.

I do wonder sometimes if someone at SE is a fan of the Malazan books. Emet-Selch from XIV was basically Shadowthrone in a fancy bathrobe.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I wonder if the final Stamp will be a Wolf, since Cloud is associated with Wolves in the compilation, and in general I guess. OH MAN THAT WOULD BE SO DUMBRAD IF THE FINAL STAMP WAS THE FENRIR EMBLEM CLOUD HAS IN AC. THAT ALSO WORKS FOR WHAT THE CLEAR MATERIA COULD FILL IN TO BEING.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I always assumed Tifa snapping Cloud out of his poisoning was a clear sign of how important she was to him. In some ways Tifa is more important in Aerith when it came to defeating Sephiroth.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean, that promise they made is kind of at the core of all Cloud’s issues.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Pulcinella posted:

Problem
Your poo poo is *apart*, and it's rather unbecoming of a SOLDIER and a human being. It's supposed to be the opposite of that: *together*. Compressed in a small area. To achieve a solid level of poo poo-compression, squeeze your butt-cheeks together for 30 minutes. Do something similar with the two hemispheres of your brain. Talk to people, maybe that will help.

Disco Elysium and FF7 are more alike than many want to admit

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Onmi posted:

I wonder if the final Stamp will be a Wolf, since Cloud is associated with Wolves in the compilation, and in general I guess. OH MAN THAT WOULD BE SO DUMBRAD IF THE FINAL STAMP WAS THE FENRIR EMBLEM CLOUD HAS IN AC. THAT ALSO WORKS FOR WHAT THE CLEAR MATERIA COULD FILL IN TO BEING.

"Maybe I'm a Lion..."

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I really appreciated and thought it was real sweet that when Tifa got knocked into the Lifestream void, Aeirth was one of the visions she saw.

Like of course her father and her two surrogate fathers would be there, but it was really sweet that she saw her bestie too. :3:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I really appreciated and thought it was real sweet that when Tifa got knocked into the Lifestream void, Aeirth was one of the visions she saw.

Like of course her father and her two surrogate fathers would be there, but it was really sweet that she saw her bestie too. :3:

They mentioned one of the key points they wanted to hit with Rebirth was showing Tifa and Aerith's friendship, I think they knocked it out of the park.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Onmi posted:

They mentioned one of the key points they wanted to hit with Rebirth was showing Tifa and Aerith's friendship, I think they knocked it out of the park.

Yeah, I'm playing the OG again and they don't interact much. When they do, it's often some love triangle bullshit. This game though...man, I felt so bad for Tifa at the end

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Onmi posted:

Does the clear materia exist at the end or did it turn into the black materia?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 20, 2024

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

To me it looks like Cloud sets down the clear materia or puts it in his pocket, then picks up the black materia, but since the switch happens just off-screen it's kind of ambiguous. But that's what the motion looks like to me.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah. It's like putting something in your pocket then feeling something else is in there and you pull it out and find out it's a napkin or something. In this case it's world-destroying materia.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also the Clear and Black Materia are different sizes.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Maybe Cloud is hallucinating the size difference. Makes u think.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Maybe it got bigger to fit all the evil in it

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Pain and sorrow are stored in the balls

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Harrow posted:

To me it looks like Cloud sets down the clear materia or puts it in his pocket, then picks up the black materia, but since the switch happens just off-screen it's kind of ambiguous. But that's what the motion looks like to me.

You can hear them clack when he puts the clear materia in his pocket. Which just makes me wonder why there isn't a Materia Pool minigame yet

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Maybe the protomateria quest equivalent in the 3rd game will be filling the Clear materia and it’ll eventually become the Knight of the Round summon. Or Bahamut Zero I guess

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I wonder how much of the next game will be spent without Cloud in your party. It's been years since I played the OG, but Cloud spends a decent amount of time out of commission after handing over the Black Materia, doesn't he?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Rhonne posted:

I wonder how much of the next game will be spent without Cloud in your party. It's been years since I played the OG, but Cloud spends a decent amount of time out of commission after handing over the Black Materia, doesn't he?

Yeah and Cid is your leader for a while

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

I'm wondering how supernova is going to go, and if they will make an attempt to make it make sense at all. I will be very disappointed if I don't see a comet obliterating the solar system

Oh poo poo they could actually have it destroy a pocket multiverse. All this was just to justify supernova!!!

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

[Tifa, by Cloud's bedside]: "I hope the others are ok. I wonder what's taking them so long?"

Cid & co.: [doing 10 sidequests where you track down missing livestock]

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

RatHat posted:

Yeah and Cid is your leader for a while

Yeah, I'm just trying to remember how long that whole sequence goes for and how that would translate into the third game.

It'll be very weird to see Cid as the temporary leader since he is not even playable yet. He's only barely joined the team at this point.

Edit: oh yeah, and Tifa will be gone for a big chunk of that, too!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've had a crackpot theory since Remake that when Cloud falls into the lifestream he's going to switch places with Zack somehow

Though now that it seems people need a body to inhabit on the other end of a universe jump, maybe not. Zack's body in the prime universe is probably not in, uh, great shape.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
[meanwhile in the Lifestream]

*doo-do-do-DO*

Cloud! Good work tracking down that lifestream mote. I've analysed the data from it and located a fragment of your psyche!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhonne posted:

It depends on how close they keep to the layout and where they end up including Rocket Town and Wutai since that got punted to Part 3.

That said, I honestly expect Cloud to be in the party for the tutorial and then out of the party not long after, by Chapter 3 or 4. If they go wild and pun Icicle Inn and the Snowboarding for later they could very well end the tutorial with the Northern Crater going nuts.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

If Wutai is going to be post Cloud brain melting, then they should make Yuffie the leader, at least for that zone. Maybe put a different character in charge depending on the zone instead of just Cid. Barret gets Corel, Red gets Cosmo Canyon, etc.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

goethe.cx posted:

Yeah, I'm playing the OG again and they don't interact much. When they do, it's often some love triangle bullshit. This game though...man, I felt so bad for Tifa at the end

Tifa is almost more of an emotional punching bag than Cloud in this version.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
It's the trade-off for making her even more fun to play.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

This is most likely (99% certain) won't and will never happen but you know what would be kinda amazing and still retain that "leads into Advent Children" quote.

What do you folks think? About this happening and my mspaint skills.

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah. She doesn't say a thing after Aerith's death. She's more broken than everyone else over this. Forget Cloud, we're going to spend the 3rd game as Tifa picking up the pieces.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 20, 2024

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Not that it particularly matters too much, but they moved the location of the Temple of the Ancients to be where the Forgotten Capital is roughly on the world map and also skipped over Bone Village and Sleeping Forest.

Edit: Not Sleeping Forest, I mean that short dungeon prelude that leads into the Forgotten Capital that I forget the name of.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If I had to absolutely gamble:

Open with the Northern Crater or close to it.

Tutorial is going through it, ending with a Jenova fight which is the big setpiece fight for Chapter 1 (ala Scorpion/Materia Guardian.)

You start at Junon, that takes up the next chapter, ends with Highwind escape.

The doctor who helped Tifa and briefly appears in part 2 is going to be the one taking care of Cloud in Part 3. Tifa will leave the party at this point.

Once you have the Highwind you'll be able to pick where to go next, with a different Party Leader for each segment. (Yuffie gets Wutai, Barret gets Coral, Cid gets Rocket Town, etc.) Each one is largely independent. Cait Sith or Red XIII probably gets Fort Condor. Vincent's the odd man out but they may give Lucretia and Hojo more focus since otherwise Hojo is MIA for most of the game.

Once you finish all of them you go back to Mideel with Cloud/Tifa and they rejoin the party, this leads to the return to Junon/the Submarine segment.

Afterwards you get the whole "find out about Aerith" segment and this is where they moved Icicle Inn to, so they can make the Key of the Ancients or whatever an actual plot thing instead of "We found it in a cave???" Probably another Turk fight here at some point, the snow caves and all of that are the dungeons here.

Return to Midgar Afterwards.

Then the final chapter/sidequest roundup.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

CottonWolf posted:

oh definitely. cloud's brain is still broken so he doesn't understand anything enough to get upset by it. meanwhile tifa's best friend was killed and her childhood friend/love interest is literally insane

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It sucks even more for Tifa if she got the date because like...

Cloud finally got it together enough to genuinely open up to her and kiss her and then the next loving day he's crazypants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Dang, we're going to be spending like 100 hours running around with the group going on crazy adventures and dealing with their deep emotional issues and Cloud and Tifa are going to miss all of it. They're going to have so many in-jokes that the other two won't get.