Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Shard posted:

I just beat the Cazador fight on Tactical woo. I had three party members wait up the stairs, lied to Cazador that I would bring Astarian back and then did a sneak attack on him. I already had haste on so I was able to hit him with three smites and then run back. The other party members then joined the fight and took him out early.

But I'm having an issue. I have him at high approval rating but for some reason I didn't get the chance to ask him to be a better person. I could only tell him I wouldn't help him or let him do the ritual. Do I need higher approval or did I just pick the wrong options?

I remember the first time I did that I didn't even get a chance to talk him down, with him outright leaving the party if he didn't do the ritual. But then I replayed that several months later and I got an option to persuade him off from the same save? It is probably a non-obvious choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Lobok posted:

All she needed was to get laid?

This was ultimate take on my final resist durge run as the defaultish db since the multiple lines about you being an unlovable freak hit way harder when you look the part.
The large adult son of Bhaal and the fail daughter of darkness speedrun becoming a suburban middle age goth couple in the 6 months after and I thought it was incredibly thematic and hysterical. Edit: To elaborate on why I liked it so much is that they are both total loose cannon assholes shaped in classic rpg protagonist molds. As I played the game more I came to appreciate how much of an awful, vain shitstirrer SH is and not in the amusing way like Astarion. So to me them getting together and essentially being able to finish their stolen childhoods together after enduring painful defiance towards their gods totally works.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 19, 2024

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
for me the best fit for Resist Durge is Karlach, and becoming the Doom Slayer Trio

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Dammon's VA is getting roasted for a pattern of transphobic comments (among other things) and no longer lists BG3 and Dammon on his bio on Twitter.

In more lighthearted news, minors were trying to go at Halsin's VA for liking/retweeting fanart of Halsin (including R18 stuff) and the adults basically went 'uhhh he's an adult working on an adult game, he's allowed, go home kids'.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

ZearothK posted:

I remember the first time I did that I didn't even get a chance to talk him down, with him outright leaving the party if he didn't do the ritual. But then I replayed that several months later and I got an option to persuade him off from the same save? It is probably a non-obvious choice.

Yup you were right. I beat him again. Tried all kinds of straight up fights but having astarian hang back is the best choice. First option pick these people will die

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Has anyone figured out how to naturally trigger Karlach's 4th wall breaking scene or is that still a mystery?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Balduran a dragon fucker ain't he

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

On my second try beat that dragon and was able to knock him out of the air on tactical. Lol I'm glad I decided to lay a cloud of daggers under him earlier in the round. I was able to get him down to six loving hp and then he died at the start of his turn.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Jack Trades posted:

Has anyone figured out how to naturally trigger Karlach's 4th wall breaking scene or is that still a mystery?
I don't think there is one.

Chubblot posted:

Every day that video gets a comment of someone asking how the scene is triggered.

Right now, I'm relatively confident it can't be triggered "organically" like Sam suggested.

There were a couple reasons I labelled it cut content originally, one being that seemingly nobody had found it for nearly two months as I couldn't find any other uploads of it. And the other was because the file dealing with this interaction contained this line:

code:
editorData" : { "HowToTrigger" : {"type" : "LSString", "value" : "CURRENTLY CAN NOT BE TRIGGERED! To be discussed with Sarah what to do with this branch."},
Karlach's writer is Sarah Baylus.

So, my guess at an answer for "how do I trigger this without modding the game" continues to be "you can't." At least not right now.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Shard posted:

On my second try beat that dragon and was able to knock him out of the air on tactical. Lol I'm glad I decided to lay a cloud of daggers under him earlier in the round. I was able to get him down to six loving hp and then he died at the start of his turn.

Cloud of Daggers rules so much in BG3 and I am so glad Larian got it to function exactly how I imagine it would

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

blizzardvizard posted:

Also Viconia only turns good if you do her romance

Yeah if you don't romance her you get her normal ending of uhhh telling Shar to gently caress off, palling around with Drizzt and becoming a legendary elven hero, truly a monster for the ages

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Perfect Potato posted:

Yeah if you don't romance her you get her normal ending of uhhh telling Shar to gently caress off, palling around with Drizzt and becoming a legendary elven hero, truly a monster for the ages

that was like 3 editions ago. With all things that change in D&D I just assume its some multiverse bullshit. Basically just pretend their is a universe out there where you join up with Viconia and Jaeheria at Last Light

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Im fine with Viconia being a preordained failure to Shar and a cool boss fight. My issue was there wasnt nearly enough of that poo poo!

The legal rights to Baldurs Gate have long since been a can of worms, I wouldnt doubt that Larian had to go to the negotiation table with Hasbro, et al, for the cameos and lorebook namedrops

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I see.
I remember Karlach's VA say that the scene was still in the game but I'm guessing that she was misinformed.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Shard posted:

that was like 3 editions ago. With all things that change in D&D I just assume its some multiverse bullshit. Basically just pretend their is a universe out there where you join up with Viconia and Jaeheria at Last Light

Honestly I was running them all in BG2 and it was hysterical. I should get back on that.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Karl's fourth-wall-breaking scene being inaccessible without hax feels appropriate

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Karl's fourth-wall-breaking scene being inaccessible without hax feels appropriate

def

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I did the iron throne and got everyone out except one guy who got netted and shot. But getting everyone else out I'm not doing it again lol. I was able to do it with some haste spells, fly, and longstrider.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Iron Throne was such a cool sequence, one of my favorite set pieces in the game.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

Iron Throne was such a cool sequence, one of my favorite set pieces in the game.

It was definitely one of the few I was looking forward to doing in act 3 on my most recent run.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Mzbundifund posted:

I forgot to do it 🙃

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Spoiling Mizora’s plot with a well-timed dimensional door. *yoink*

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Shard posted:

this is so much worse than "viconia was a rare miss by the writers" lol

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

following a gaming podcast through it (the bonfireside chat/woff guys) and I have a question-

This show is cool, just checked it out. Might even subscribe to the patreon. It’s called Real Lich Hours and they go pretty deep, it’s good.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Zodium posted:

this is so much worse than "viconia was a rare miss by the writers" lol

I'm just saying Wizards of the coast change their poo poo all the time. Dead gods come back, the way their universe works changes in universe. When I think d&d, consistency is not what I think of. Hell isn't everyone tabletop session technically canon?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Saul Kain posted:

Spoiling Mizora’s plot with a well-timed dimensional door. *yoink*

I was so glad I did my man Wyll right finally.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Just saved Volo with a cheeky Misty Step into Dimension Door, and felt extremely clever with myself. I know it's obvious really, but it FELT like big brain.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 20, 2024

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Just finished the gondian workshop. Was able to get all the way to the end and the last guy set off his motivator. Lol I am not running this entire dungeon again just to save some Gondians. Sorry little gnomes, at least I got your family out of the water.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Shockeh posted:

Just saved Volo with a cheeky Misty Step into Dimension Door, and felt extremely clever with myself. I know it's obvious really, but it FELT like big brain.

Best way is to walk up and just throw all the barrels into your pocket and then send them to camp.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

Best way is to walk up and just throw all the barrels into your pocket and then send them to camp.

It's a problem solving game mechanic silly and badass enough to be worthy of Fallout's Reverse Pickpocket. I hope future CRPG's have ways to smuggle setpieces out of reality.

Is there a mod that adds Pick Up And Send To Camp as an interaction yet?

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Really getting into an argument over whether long resting restocks vendor inventories.

Just sleep wtf.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

what

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Perfect Potato posted:

After spending a whole game being an rear end in a top hat to people, so if anything this ending is the one that doesn't make sense with her character :shrug:

BG2 always depicted her as a cruel person who constantly looks down on others, and she basically has no positive interaction with anybody, except in her romance specifically. I just don't really get how "the cruel Shar worshipper becomes a high priest of Shar who tortures people for Shar" is some big affront to her character, because on paper the pieces clearly fit.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

So after planning my whole playthrough around recruiting Minsc. it turns out he basically needs a respec immediately into an entirely different class because the 5E Ranger class does not allow him to be played according to his actual character and personality. Also he's already at level cap even if the party isn't so I never get to see him grow in power and develop. Feels kind of :effort:, like they cared more about the gag than about him being a real party member. Also to make him play like he did in BG2 is to basically turn him into a second Karlach with no involvement in the story.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I’m doing a run as Karlach as an Oath of Devotion Paladin and decided to romance (spoiler for the very last scenes) Wyll so they can run off into the hells together, but drat if she doesn’t deserve someone more interesting than romance cover goody two shoes. Or maybe that makes sense because she deserves a happy ending so drat much.

I recruited Jaheira and Minsc as quickly as I could with Jaheira as her default class (for now) and Minsc as an Open Hand Monk. I miss my Karlach Miss Piggy HIYAHs but this should be a good mix.

Still deciding if I’ll leave Jaheira a Druid and who that last spot should be when I’m not doing character missions, but this seems like the prime choice for dialogue.

After this, it might be time to hang up the game for a while. I have beaten it at least once with every class and this’ll be my first origin run. That seems like plenty until more stuff is added or it’s been stable long enough to be worth really modding.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Woolie Wool posted:

So after planning my whole playthrough around recruiting Minsc. it turns out he basically needs a respec immediately into an entirely different class because the 5E Ranger class does not allow him to be played according to his actual character and personality. Also he's already at level cap even if the party isn't so I never get to see him grow in power and develop. Feels kind of :effort:, like they cared more about the gag than about him being a real party member. Also to make him play like he did in BG2 is to basically turn him into a second Karlach with no involvement in the story.

Ranger knight melee hunter works fine.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

The Beast Master raven pet's darkness cloud also synergizes well with Great Weapon Master, just give him the Blind immunity ring/helmet and he'll get advantage on his 2H sword swings

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

I wish the game didn't rob me of that completely by first actively taunting me about how difficult it would be to kill Gortash the first time you meet him and then completely breaking in two, removing half of the quests in Act 3, when I actually did that on my first try.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
For what it's worth it's mostly something that you do for the sake of it, AFAIK the only material rewards you miss out on are the Duke, one potential way of getting the "good" ending for the Foundry, and a really minor quest reward from the Society of Brilliance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I was surprised to learn there’s apparently no achievement for saving everyone. They have them for everything! Both times I did it one idiot died for no reason as they got almost to the ladder, then… ran away, turned around and came back. But time ran out before they made it up. Maybe Larian realized the AI was too unreliable and chose to save people from beating their heads against it for hours