Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Infidelicious posted:

Laser weapons in general should get like 2 heatsinks, having 5-6 just flattens their mechanics and niche.

Scythe/Dagger really need to get damage that ramps up either linearly or on some kind of bell curve - they're just not interesting mechanically, and have no room to grow skill with since they are just guns with awful DPS that don't run out of ammo.

Wanting to keep them in a sweet spot would reward getting good at managing their heat / damage output.
The laser cannon has a weird niche vs bots as a bad autocannon that lets you use your backpack slot and could probably use another buff of some kind but yeah the scythe especially just feels so terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Infidelicious posted:

Scythe/Dagger really need to get damage that ramps up either linearly or on some kind of bell curve - they're just not interesting mechanically, and have no room to grow skill with since they are just guns with awful DPS that don't run out of ammo.
I installed the first Helldivers yesterday and gave it a short run, and that's actually how one of the Scythe upgrades works: it gets stronger as it gets closer to overheating.

E: I never played all that much of HD1 and reinstalling confirmed that the switch to 3D really does make it much more interesting.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Mar 20, 2024

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Infidelicious posted:

The Lib Pen has a niche right now, but it's really niche - it's legitimately good vs. brood commanders and hive guards in a way no other primary is; but it could probably stand to get some more damage to be worth using vs. bots.

Slugger can one shot brood commanders and two shot hive guardians, plus it staggers them.

As for grenades, I always take stuns on bots because I have the AC for everything else, and I take impacts on bugs because I can't give up the laser dog, so I need them for spitters. Grenade pistol would probably be an always take on bugs if they release it.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Eediot Jedi posted:

Honestly I think it's in a really good place. The inaccuracy, spin up time and no medium armour pen does a lot to keep it honest. The spare heatsinks are there for prolonged fights, or if you get back to back to back patrols, and they get more important as you climb up in difficulty. It's not like other guns where you obviously have to reload because you're out of bullets, to keep doing damage. With the sickle you're making choices about when to cash in your heatsinks to keep your damage output up.

Echoing this. It's great having the flexibility to just burn a heatsink or just be selective/disciplined about your aim and rate of fire, which the Sickle enables well, even on the move. I think the Sickle's a great direct upgrade to a regular Liberator and an alterative to the class-leading Breaker, even post-nerf.

Infidelicious posted:

The Lib Pen has a niche right now, but it's really niche - it's legitimately good vs. brood commanders and hive guards in a way no other primary is; but it could probably stand to get some more damage to be worth using vs. bots.

Big agree here on increasing damage output against bots. Its medium pen is crippled by its lack of higher DPS compared to the regular Liberator. I wasn't rewarded for aimed fire against bots with the Lib Pen anymore than I was using the regular Liberator. I found myself ending up just using the regular Liberator, the Breaker and the Sickle against the bots more because they were simply better. It sucks, because I really wanted to like the Lib Pen too.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Slugger can one shot brood commanders and two shot hive guardians, plus it staggers them.

As for grenades, I always take stuns on bots because I have the AC for everything else, and I take impacts on bugs because I can't give up the laser dog, so I need them for spitters. Grenade pistol would probably be an always take on bugs if they release it.

Where the hell do you aim to one shot a brood commander

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
the best thing about the sickle is it effectively reloads itself without you having to do anything so no more partial mag anxiety

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Sickle feels like having a Stalwart primary. It's really good and pairs well with the strong single-target damage support guns.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I don't know how people can say the sickle is low damage, it can pop two brood commander heads before even getting much heat built up, I don't think the basic liberator can do that before having to reload, you can spray crowds of hunters without worry of running out of ammo and just swap to your support or pistol or stratagems for like 5 seconds and do it all over after it cools down, or just ignore the cooldown and reload one of your many unnecessary extra mags.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I don't know how people can say the sickle is low damage, it can pop two brood commander heads before even getting much heat built up, I don't think the basic liberator can do that before having to reload, you can spray crowds of hunters without worry of running out of ammo and just swap to your support or pistol or stratagems for like 5 seconds and do it all over after it cools down, or just ignore the cooldown and reload one of your many unnecessary extra mags.

The Sickle and the Scythe are two different weapons, and when people say the laser gun is a piece of poo poo with awful dps they're talking about the Scythe.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

GruntyThrst posted:

It doesn't happen every time, but more often than not if you hit the right spot on the head it'll take it clean off, the brood commander will keep coming at you for a bit, but you can easily sidestep it and start shooting other stuff and it'll die in a few seconds.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

GruntyThrst posted:

head with autocannon then watch it fart for more bugs while headless

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

Anyone been getting more crashes than usual? I had no issues before, but played a bit and had 2 in a row.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Banjo Bones posted:

Anyone been getting more crashes than usual? I had no issues before, but played a bit and had 2 in a row.

Some nights I get no crashes at all and others just 2 a mission. It's gotta be a server or host thing right?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Patch :toot:

quote:

🛠️ PATCH 1.000.103 ⚙️
🌍 Overview
For this patch, we have implemented:
Fixes to the EXO-45 Patriot exosuit, game stats, UI, and general stability.
Balance improvements for planetary hazards and patrol spawns.

⚖️ Balancing
Balanced and adjusted spawn rates for the various planet hazards including tremors, meteor showers, volcanic activity, fire tornados, and ion storms. Hazards should now spawn less frequently during missions.
Meteor Shower has received the following changes in addition to reduced spawn rate:
🔹 Reduced explosion radius
🔹 Reduced meteor damage slightly
🔹 Reduced meteor velocity slightly
🔹 Meteor color has been changed slightly to try and make it easier to spot.
Volcanic Activity has received the following changes in addition to reduced spawn rate:
🔹 Reduced explosion radius
🔹 Reduced rock velocity slightly
Lighting on Fenrir III has been adjusted to be a bit less bright to improve visibility during meteor showers.

🔧 Fixes
Reduced incidents of patrols spawning on players.
Exosuit no longer destroys itself when firing a missile while turning .
Exosuit retains its melee functionality, even when damaged.
Crash fixes for the following scenarios
🔹 When ALT+Tabbing in fullscreen mode
🔹 After changing voice over language
🔹 PS5 boot issue
🔹 Using a stim inside of an Exosuit while wielding a grenade
🔹 When joining an ongoing mission
🔹 When idling on the title screen
Shots from arc-based weapons, such as 'Blitzer' shotgun and 'AC-8 Arc Thrower' stratagem now count towards "Shots fired" and "Shots hit" stats.
Fixed network desync issue with downed Automaton dropships.
Fixed Elgato Stream Deck Foot Pedal support.

🧠 Known Issues
These are issues that were either introduced by this patch and are being worked on, or are from a previous version and have not yet been fixed.

Various issues involving friend invites and cross-play:
🔹 Cross-platform friend invites might not show up in the Friend Requests tab.
🔹 Players cannot unfriend other players befriended via friend code.
🔹 Players cannot unblock players that were not in their Friends list beforehand.
🔹 Players cannot befriend players with Steam names shorter than 3 characters.
Hellpod steering close to large or important objects is currently not functioning as intended, resulting in steering being disabled in a large area around the object.
Online features are not functioning when console language is set to Ukrainian.
Players may be unable to select loadout when joining a multiplayer via an activity card.
Planet liberation reaches 100% at the end of every Defend mission.
Drowning in deep water with a Vitality Booster equipped puts Helldiver in a broken state.
Exosuits will sometimes be delivered in a damaged or broken state.
Stratagem beam might attach itself to an enemy but it will deploy to its original location.
Pink artifacts may appear in the sky when setting off large explosions.
Text chat box display is obstructed by the cinematic letterboxing during extraction.
Sometimes the player’s loadout customizations will reset after restarting the game.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mate is having the absolute shits with this game right now.

Other night he randomly dies at the drop, and ALL the samples fall through the floor.
Tonight he gets kicked back to ship in the middle of the mission, and I've had the exact same thing happen.

Bunch of random physics deaths, particularly to Bile Titan corpses plagued the run we were just on.

Also why the gently caress is 'Close to pitch black visibility' an option for weather effects?

Yeah nah, tonight was a poo poo night for Helldivin'

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

quote:

Stratagem beam might attach itself to an enemy but it will deploy to its original location.
Interesting that this is in the "known bugs" list. If they make it follow the enemy it will make precision strike much better but increase the risk when throwing clusters at a pack of hunters.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

My Current go to is light scout armor and an autocannon plus backpack with whatever other weaponry I want to rock with. I've been taking to basically moving at a side angle to the rest of the divers and using the autocannon to pop bugs/bots from a distance while they don't notice me due to the other players making hilarious amounts of noise. Managed to knock out some heavy automaton defense bases by walking into their rear and shooting the vents while the towers were fixed on the three guys dropping lots and lots of boom up front.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

quote:

Crash fixes for the following scenarios
🔹 Using a stim inside of an Exosuit while wielding a grenade

FINALLY!

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

That's a point, how do you weild a grenade? I had it happen to me accidentally last night, my helldiver was just running around with one in his hand, and it worked like a normal weapon with RMB to aim and LMB to throw. I couldn't get it to stop until I changed weapons. I don't think it's just '4' otherwise I'd be doing it accidentally all the time.

I mean, mostly so I can avoid doing it again, but it seems like it would be handy for clearing bug nests.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

GruntyThrst posted:

Because I bought too much of the armor on the superstore

:same:

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
I swear the autocannon sentry is much more powerful than the autocannon support weapon. It reliably takes down chargers and even manages to do significant damage to bile titans. It's a mainstay in my loadout against bugs.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

armpit_enjoyer posted:

I swear the autocannon sentry is much more powerful than the autocannon support weapon. It reliably takes down chargers and even manages to do significant damage to bile titans. It's a mainstay in my loadout against bugs.

That's because I believe it is a heavier autocannon than the one a player carries.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Icedude posted:

That's a point, how do you weild a grenade? I had it happen to me accidentally last night, my helldiver was just running around with one in his hand, and it worked like a normal weapon with RMB to aim and LMB to throw. I couldn't get it to stop until I changed weapons. I don't think it's just '4' otherwise I'd be doing it accidentally all the time.

I mean, mostly so I can avoid doing it again, but it seems like it would be handy for clearing bug nests.

It is in fact just 4

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

armpit_enjoyer posted:

It is, yeah. If it has space it does some serious work. It just can't really defend itself like the gatling can

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

johnny park posted:

It is in fact just 4

Huh. Weird how it hasn't happened to me before then :shrug:

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Darox posted:

The laser cannon has a weird niche vs bots as a bad autocannon that lets you use your backpack slot and could probably use another buff of some kind but yeah the scythe especially just feels so terrible.

The only buff stuff like the laser cannon and stuff like the senator need is a crosshair/firing animation that lets me actually see what im shooting at.

Idk what it is about the laser cannon but I can barely tell what im hitting once im firing it.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

anyone having crashes since the new patch? Just had our whole squad have a bunch in a row. Last one with 13 seconds to extraction while I was holding the super samples. Ugh

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

How do I find more greens. Maps have 20+ and we manage to extract like with only 5. I have more than enough orange and pink samples. Where are all the greens located at, how to find them?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Well, the Senator also needs a faster loving reload.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Ihmemies posted:

How do I find more greens. Maps have 20+ and we manage to extract like with only 5. I have more than enough orange and pink samples. Where are all the greens located at, how to find them?

Check around PoIs, enemy bases and objectives. They're never just sitting in the middle of a field.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Every game it bothers me. But Helldivers 2 is getting particularly exhausting with packing a patrol of 10 bots so dense it looks like 5 on the radar behind a boulder or unclimbable rock (okay fair use of cover to hide your numbers...) that most of them teleport on top of to have a high ground position, that also absorbs 80% of an impact grenade blast (or just bounces a normal grenade) as soon as it is go time.

Six small rocket troopers at once is a big problem for a slugger, one weird trick to deal with your rocket devastators getting stunlocked 1v1 by patriots! (I expect it to get worse once I unlock the scorcher finally!)

On that note, Ion storms are still miserable and reducing me to popping factories on principle with grenades even having 500 bombs ready :argh: (I lie to myself that nest/factory busting adds another 0.0000001% of liberty to missions)

raverrn posted:

Well, the Senator also needs a faster loving reload.

But what if, hear me out. We instead make another gun worse at reloading? A gun incapable of firing through leaves in the creek doesn't have enough flaws, you see.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Schwawa posted:

anyone having crashes since the new patch? Just had our whole squad have a bunch in a row. Last one with 13 seconds to extraction while I was holding the super samples. Ugh

Seeing people saying they're crashing pretty consistently with arc throwers now, but I've been arcing with no problems.

e: lmao crashed using a blitzer immediately after posting.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 20, 2024

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The stun is actually really strong, and it can stun about any bug instantly. It makes more difference than you might think to just take that pressure off for a few seconds. You do want to pair them with something that can kill bug holes like autocannon or GL if you dont have total faith in your fellow helldivers. Haven't tried them against bots.

Being able to chain them to stun lock chargers for as long as you have enough ammo is pretty badass. You can also use them to save turrets that are about to get destroyed by a charger or pack of bugs. In terms of just general wave clear you lose some utility from the blast radius but the number of small bugs that you can stun and kill during that stuns duration is way higher than the number of bugs you can kill with a grenade. Like previously mentioned you can stun to assist call ins, which is useful for more than just heavies too - if I see a team mate orbital a breach or large group or whatever I’ll just toss one in to help keep everything grouped.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Ihmemies posted:

Most "main POIs" (primaries, secondaries, bases) have 1-4 samples, mixed between common and rare. Smaller POIs will have 1-2, more often common.

Once you kinda understand the layouts you know where to search, but in general search every major POI after you clear it and whatever minor POIs you can reasonably clear. You should come across at least 10-15 of each on average around the 5 or 6 difficulty, more on higher levels.

E: common samples look like rectangular bento box containers in super earth facilities, weird round "mushrooms" in bug nests, and 6 packs in bot bases.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 20, 2024

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Eediot Jedi posted:

Seeing people saying they're crashing pretty consistently with arc throwers now, but I've been arcing with no problems.

e: lmao crashed using a blitzer immediately after posting.

hmm me and a buddy were both running arc throwers so that could be it. Super annoying

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

The Playstation site (https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/helldivers-2/) has a fun bestiary of what we have so far (apart from the flying guys), with lovely in-world descriptions rich in lore, subtext, and absolutely zero propaganda.

Because I don't want to do any work, I thought I'd type those out and drop the pictures here.

Edit: some variants etc are missing, and the charger is the weird spikier guy, plus the Scavenger picture isn't right. Text is fun though! Clearly Sony have some sort of conniving bug interloper spreading misinformation...

Terminids

The ravenous Terminids are guided solely by an instinctive urge to reproduce, spread, and destroy Democracy. They are a fast-evolving plague, a shapeshifting infestation that threatens to devour and disenfranchise every single child on every single planet.

Scavenger

The brainless Scavenger is the lowliest of Terminids. Upon encountering an agent of Liberty, it emits a piercing scream that attracts nearby bugs in a reflexive attempt to destroy Freedom

Warrior

Warriors are the natural end result of a species optimised for mindless expansion. In controlled environments, they have eviscirated innocent baby cows in under a second. One can only imagine what they would do to innocent baby humans

Hunter

The pesky Hunters are known to dodge incoming fire with swift leaps. Scientists note that while this behaviour may appear intelligent, it is merely a base instinct, akin to a housefly avoiding an incoming swat

Stalker

A side effect of Terminid gene splicing research, Stalkers can camouflage themselves almost to the point of invisibility. But nothing can hide from the cleansing light of Freedom forever

Bile Spewer

Bile Spewers appeared following unavoidable spills of toxic chemicals on Terminid E-710 farms. The Bile Spewer's thorax is bloated with several metric tons of corrosive acid, which it vomits in revulsion upon encountering Democracy

Bile Titan

The largest known Terminid strain, a single Bile Titan can destroy an entire SEAF platoon on its own. Engagement is not recommended without the support of heavy duty Orbital Stratagems or a high personnel replacement budget

Charger

A rushing Charger is nearly impossible to stop, thanks to its meter-thick exoskeleton. Therefore the recommended response protocol to this situation is the prompt execution of a Rapid Lateral Movement (RLM)

Brood Commander

Directing its foul brethren with a mixture od pheromone-like spores and authoritarian shrieks, the bloodthirsty Brood Commander is a rare and deadly strain known for its undeniable hatred of the right to vote

The Automaton Collective

The Automatons are mindless, bloodthirsty robots, coded for nothing but murder and socialist violence. Their origins are a mystery, but their unthinking hatred of Freedom makes them a threat to all citizens of Super Earth.

Trooper, Raider, Marauder

Troopers are little more than guns with legs, base caricatures of consciousness fused to machine guns and rocket launchers. Unlike Super Earth, the bots seem to believe that strapping heavy weaponry to expendable cannon fodder is the solution to every problem

Commissar

A crude simulation of military leadership, the Commisssar is augmented with slightly faster processing and a crude command subroutine. The Commissar stays out of combat if possible, as despicably cowardly as it is unequivocally non-sentient

Scout Strider

The Scout Strider is a machine operated by a machine, a walking turret guided by the limited intelligence of an Automaton Trooper. Another fruitless attempt to ape true intelligence, in this case by exercising mastery over a machine even more primitive than themselves

Beserker

A primitive actualization of barabrity, the Berserker has CPUs in each chainsaw that are programmed to solve one problem: closing the space between saw and target as quickly as possible

Devastator

The ironclad Devastator seeks to crush opponents of the Automatons' totalitarian worldview with a diverse array of heinous weaponry: arm-cannons, arm-shields, arm-machineguns and arm-rocket-launchers. Variants: Armcannon (Base), MG/Heavy, Rocket

Hulk

As with all Automaton units, the plodding Hulk is brainlessly optimised to do nothing except deliver heavy firepower. If encountered, the recommended protocol for Helldivers is to immediately call in the largest orbital bombardment available. Variants: Autocannon/Rocket, Flame, Rocket

Tank

Shamelessly copied from Super Earth tank designs, the Automaton Tank is clearly inferior in such a multitude of aspects that it would be impractical to list them here. Variants: Heavy Cannon, Quad HMG

Dropship

Packed to the brim with robotic infantry, Dropships conduct rapid deployment of mindless, mechanized despotism

Flint_Paper fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 20, 2024

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

yeah, those are neat. should go in the OP. seems like there's some stuff missing tho

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Encountered a nest of flying bugs in my last two missions

Damage to helldiver wearing heavy armor with 1 swoop attack: about 1/10th of bar
Damage to helldiver wearing heavy armor if you shoot them mid swoop and their ragdoll touches you: instant death
Damage to mech when shot mid swoop and the ragdoll touches the mech: instant death

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

yeah, those are neat. should go in the OP. seems like there's some stuff missing tho

They don't really go into the Terminid Variants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

it has the wrong image for the scavenger and charger too