Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Communist Cop posted:

Positive feedback on my positive feedback loop
even more more than before!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

love seeing the experts poo poo they pantaloons

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I love fixing problems by doing their causes more aggressively and at a much higher volume.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
we need to put the sulphur back in the ship fuels

kater
Nov 16, 2010

good luck getting your treat graphs without the peechem industry

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

They never took them out they just put the exhaust pipe in the ocean instead of letting it spray into the air

Kal
Jun 3, 2007

been saying this

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Scarabrae posted:

looks like someone needs some media training

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
we need to spray a whole lot of sulphur into the atmosphere

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

we need to spray a whole lot of sulphur into the atmosphere

*eats a bunch of eggs*

hard at work boss

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

got your asses

https://twitter.com/GlobalEcoGuy/status/1770101533939765492

wrap it up, doomailures

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

the best strategy is to not try

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
its just a matter of reframing. everybody is already working together to bring about the completion of our great common task. communicate it as "we will cause the best and most comprehensive mass extinction of all time" and everyone can feel good about their work changing the climate. people like to be the best at things

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

i think this is an article that could only be produced under the auspices of the most mind-bending american individualism. “well if it doesn’t matter what i personally do as one single person who is also the main character then it’s ’pointless’? maybe continue to tell me i still don’t have to do anything. checkmate bdoomers*”

*: this was a typo but i wanted to keep it

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I read several studies that found the opposite so who's to say if it's good or bad...

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

i am right now sitting in the bone driest lecture class on my undergrad schedule, "environmental challenges" and he's showing us a bunch of the hockey stick graphs

it's like ben stein from ferris bueler delivering sarah conners "you're all dead" monologue.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
climate change sure is a challenge

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

mawarannahr posted:

I read several studies that found the opposite so who's to say if it's good or bad...

i doubt their study actually found that doomerism prevented action. it’s probably like a “2.3% fewer trees planted by a specific subset of the already small sample population when we used negative adjectives” or some other dumb bullshit

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

climate change sure is a challenge

it's actually pretty easy imo we should just keep inputting carbon into the system until we complete our great work of biocide

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

cash crab posted:

bdoomers*”

*: this was a typo but i wanted to keep it

I refuse to believe that was a typo :colbert: but I'll accept the explanation of "it was already in my dictionary and autocorrect picked it"

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Let's find a solution on how we can deliver the message of climate change in a way that doesn't interfere with my consumerism

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Stereotype posted:

i doubt their study actually found that doomerism prevented action. it’s probably like a “2.3% fewer trees planted by a specific subset of the already small sample population when we used negative adjectives” or some other dumb bullshit

"participants were found to be less likely to donate to climate nonprofits when we told them society would collapse before they retired"

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Owlbear Camus posted:

it's actually pretty easy imo we should just keep inputting carbon into the system until we complete our great work of biocide

proceeding apace https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/amid-louisiana-s-crawfish-shortage-governor-issues-disaster-declaration/ar-BB1jrRGs

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

https://x.com/novaramedia/status/1770344612336423404?s=20

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

i read it, and that's exactly what it says

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

quote:

For instance, recent work found that online news consumption is largely driven by the negative content of the news (43). However, others have warned that this messaging may have no impact on behavior (44) or, worse, that it may depress and demoralize the public into inaction (45). Here, we found empirical support for both accounts on different outcomes: While negative emotion messaging was highly effective at stimulating climate information–sharing intentions (a relatively low-effort behavior), it decreased tree-planting efforts. Further, the negative emotion induction intervention appeared to backfire on policy support among participants with low initial climate beliefs. These results suggest that climate scientists should carefully consider the differential effects of the prevalent fear-inducing writing styles on different proclimate outcomes.

quote:

Fig. 2. Average effects (i.e., posterior estimates using Bayesian regressions) by intervention for each outcome.
Dots indicate the mean, with error bars indicating the 94% credible region. Thicker error bars indicate the interquartile range. Vertical lines indicate control average. (A) Belief, (B) support for policy, (C) willingness to share climate change information on social media, and (D) number of trees planted in the WEPT. Estimates are reported in tables S1 to S4.

quote:

Participants (N = 59,440, from 63 counties; Table 1) were mostly recruited through online data collection platforms (80.8%) or via convenience/snowball sampling (19.1%; Table 1). They were randomly assigned to 1 of 11 experimental interventions (Fig. 1) or a no intervention control condition in which they read a passage from a literary text. Then, in a randomized order, participants indicated their climate beliefs, climate policy support, and willingness to share climate-related information on social media. Last, participants were able to opt into completing up to eight pages of a tree-planting task, each completed page resulting in the real planting of a tree through a donation to The Eden Reforestation Project. As a result of participants’ behavior, our team actually planted 333,333 trees. Assuming that the average fully grown tree absorbs between 10 and 40 kg of carbon dioxide per year in 5 to 10 years when all trees are fully grown, the efforts from this project will result in ~9,999,990 kg of carbon dioxide sequestered per year, which is the equivalent amount of carbon dioxide used to produce energy for 1260 U.S. homes.

quote:

To measure an action with a real-world impact performed at an actual cost to participants, we used a modified version of the WEPT (37). This task is a multitrial web-based procedure that detects consequential proenvironmental behavior by allowing participants the opportunity of engaging in voluntary cognitive effort (i.e., screen numerical stimuli) in exchange for donations to an environmental organization. This measure has been validated and has been found to correlate with well-established scales for the assessing proenvironmental behavioral intentions (e.g., general ecological behavior scale) (57) and with direct donation behaviors (e.g., the donation of a part of their payment to an environmental organization) (39).
Participants were first exposed to a demonstration of the WEPT, in which they were instructed to identify all target numbers for which the first digit is even and the second digit is odd (4 of 18 numbers were target numbers on the demonstration page). Participants were not allowed to advance the page until they correctly completed the WEPT demonstration. Then, they were told that planting trees is one of the best ways to combat climate change and that they would have the opportunity to plant up to eight trees if they chose to engage in additional pages of the item identification task (one tree per page of WEPT completed). These pages contained 60 numbers per page, where participants had to screen for target numbers. Alongside these instructions, participants were shown a pictogram of eight trees, one of which was colored green to mark their progress in the task. Participants were allowed to exit the task at any point with no penalty.

So the outcome of this paper is not strictly "people were less willing to plant trees when we gave them doomer information", it's more like "people were less willing to complete busywork that would trigger a donation to a tree-planting charity when we gave them doomer information." The results are true - people were least likely to do a first grader's math homework when you tell them the environment is hosed. And I do see the author's interpretation - they gave them the easiest possible version of "planting trees", which is "do this trivial thing and we'll pay someone else to plant a tree," and they still wouldn't do it.

I don't know poo poo about those survey tools they mentioned. But my gut reaction is that most people will have a different reaction to "will you do an annoying puzzle?" than they would to "will you help me plant a tree in the yard?". Framing our willingness to engage in climate action around using a tool that requires you to accept that the non-profit charity sphere is capable of fighting climate change in the first place, seems counterproductive.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Look, I know the paper you're about to publish says that we need to stop using fossil fuels, but please understand than adults didn't color as many trees green when they heard bad news, so maybe you should change your conclusions.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

chart had been looking like the trump graph for a second but nah

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Wakko posted:

its just a matter of reframing. everybody is already working together to bring about the completion of our great common task. communicate it as "we will cause the best and most comprehensive mass extinction of all time" and everyone can feel good about their work changing the climate. people like to be the best at things

we can end it here. we can end it for all time.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
telling doomers to shut up is just another form of shaming people for individual action amidst a collective action problem, done by people that are either deep in denial or who actually feel bad because they aren't out there doing [redacted] poo poo

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i (quite honestly) respect people that lead by example, doing positive things for a better world, who know that it won't benefit them nor their children and it probably is too late anyway, who don't judge the rest of us for being born into this loving mess. that's fine and noble. it's when they look down their loving noses at people that, quite understandably, are depressed and anxious about the whole thing that i get mad.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Cold on a Cob posted:

i (quite honestly) respect people that lead by example, doing positive things for a better world, who know that it won't benefit them nor their children and it probably is too late anyway, who don't judge the rest of us for being born into this loving mess. that's fine and noble. it's when they look down their loving noses at people that, quite understandably, are depressed and anxious about the whole thing that i get mad.

tell me more about how other people are responsible for your feelings

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

quote:

OWN A PIECE OF PARADISE. Are you looking for a place on the water? On the Bay and White Oak Creek to be more specific. Look no further. The views are just incredible.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
When the power grid collapses and stays down for months I think most people will start to feel that climate change is a problem. Then they will promptly forget it happened and say drill baby drill.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

tuyop posted:

tell me more about how other people are responsible for your feelings

idk what you mean, are you saying i shouldn't have feelings about the people who largely agree with people like me about climate change but openly judge people like me anyway because we're not suitably optimistic about our chances? maybe you're forgetting about all the discourse over the last few years where doomers were being portrayed as worse than deniers (or maybe i'm an rear end in a top hat b/c i guess i still got a stick up my rear end about it)

i'm saying they should fight the real enemy because it's circular firing squad bullshit

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Tiger Crazy posted:

When the power grid collapses and stays down for months I think most people will start to feel that climate change is a problem. Then they will promptly forget it happened and say drill baby drill.

my prediction is that as climate change worsens and become more obvious, continued and greater fossil fuel use will be publicly justified on the grounds of "well climate change has already happened. no reason to stop now."

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

bedpan posted:

my prediction is that as climate change worsens and become more obvious, continued and greater fossil fuel use will be publicly justified on the grounds of "well climate change has already happened. no reason to stop now."

not exactly the same but makes me think about how i've been told about we need to go 100% electric cars instead of prioritizing mass transit

"we've already invested in the roads" which are crumbling now anyway in a lot of cities but let's not think about that

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

I don't see the problem. Seems good, actually.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Good thing we found the way to communicate the urgency that works and now action is being taken.

...right? RIGHT????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Cold on a Cob posted:

not exactly the same but makes me think about how i've been told about we need to go 100% electric cars instead of prioritizing mass transit

"we've already invested in the roads" which are crumbling now anyway in a lot of cities but let's not think about that