Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

A Fire ** materia seems a poor reward for getting ambushed by Kid G, geez. But at least I am now done with everything other than just finishing up the story. Aside from explicitly level 70 / postgame stuff, and Aerith's Corel protorelic challenges that make no sense to me so I'll just have to look up how to not suck at them later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Okay so there is one (1) sidequest where Cloud is asked to pick three mushrooms. So, naturally, picking mushrooms has its own dedicated minigame.

This game is so maximalist that it goes into self-parody and then keeps elevating until it loops back around into being pure art.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
What's the gimmick to the scarlet fight in the gongaga reactor?
I've already beat her but it sucked a huge amount of poo poo, it's the first main story boss I've died to and it took me 3 tries. Every other one I've enjoyed but immediately into my first run on that, before I even found out I was going to lose, it wasn't fun and I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to be doing to gain control of things.
Ended up using TWENTY mega potions to get through it (the first time I've used one so far) just because every single attack seemed to cut through defense and take off 1k HP and building atb/wasting mana on cures was a nightmare.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm kicking back up to do hard mode content and wow, Midgardsormr HM just kinda explodes the party with it's fire breath. Just empties all the life bars. I guess I can manually run someone behind a tree and link fire element to another so they can just stand there but that kind leaves my 3rd wheel on the ground with no options but a raise and that seems inelegant?

Maybe I could try mana warding.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I have to hit either L2 or R2 to choose between the white ghosts and the black ghosts as Tifa and I don't know what to press :ohdear:

edit: IT'S NOT A CHOICE IT'S A TWO BUTTONS AT ONCE THING :lol: :doh: Sitting here like an idiot being like OMG WHICH TO CHOOSE I DON'T KNOW

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 20, 2024

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

cubicle gangster posted:

What's the gimmick to the scarlet fight in the gongaga reactor?
I've already beat her but it sucked a huge amount of poo poo, it's the first main story boss I've died to and it took me 3 tries. Every other one I've enjoyed but immediately into my first run on that, before I even found out I was going to lose, it wasn't fun and I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to be doing to gain control of things.
Ended up using TWENTY mega potions to get through it (the first time I've used one so far) just because every single attack seemed to cut through defense and take off 1k HP and building atb/wasting mana on cures was a nightmare.
Hit her hands. Destroying one weakens her attacks, destroying both pressures her and pops Scarlett out for a free stagger and then you can wail on her.

Are you Assessing every enemy and boss you see? You should be, it tells you how to pressure them.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

CapnAndy posted:

Hit her hands. Destroying one weakens her attacks, destroying both pressures her and pops Scarlett out for a free stagger and then you can wail on her.

Are you Assessing every enemy and boss you see? You should be, it tells you how to pressure them.

Yeah, I assessed, and I targeted the hands - but every time I destroyed both she went and got another pair, went through 3 pairs total. She just did an insane amount of damage to my party through the whole fight that I struggled to find the secret to defending / avoiding, and spent the entire time on the back foot healing.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

cubicle gangster posted:

Yeah, I assessed, and I targeted the hands - but every time I destroyed both she went and got another pair, went through 3 pairs total. She just did an insane amount of damage to my party through the whole fight that I struggled to find the secret to defending / avoiding, and spent the entire time on the back foot healing.

If she had time to replace hands before staggering you werent doing enough damage or targeting the correct part. The fight should go like this:

- Destroy hands
- Target Scarlet and reduce her HP
- Mech becomes Pressured
- Stagger
- Repeat

I know this fight is harsh. Thunder magic is really good here for targeting hands combined with Aerith's Mana Ward

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 20, 2024

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Macaluso posted:

I have to hit either L2 or R2 to choose between the white ghosts and the black ghosts as Tifa and I don't know what to press :ohdear:

edit: IT'S NOT A CHOICE IT'S A TWO BUTTONS AT ONCE THING :lol: :doh: Sitting here like an idiot being like OMG WHICH TO CHOOSE I DON'T KNOW

I had this exact same reaction lol

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

WaltherFeng posted:

If she had time to replace hands before staggering you werent doing enough damage or targeting the correct part. The fight should go like this:

- Destroy hands
- Target Scarlet and reduce her HP
- Mech becomes Pressured
- Stagger
- Repeat

I know this fight is harsh. Thunder magic is really good here for targeting hands combined with Aerith's Mana Ward

I think I just spent too much time building atb to pop off healing items / spells and not enough time spent attacking.
There's also the fact that a team that features one of yuffie, aerith or tifa is well rounded, but all 3 I was a mess. To get through it I had to unequip so much materia from the others to reconfigure and was forced into a totally new rhythm. The battles leading up to it were too forgiving and didn't test my setup enough, then I was changing the entire setup all over just before the battle with no test run possible.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

cubicle gangster posted:

I think I just spent too much time building atb to pop off healing items / spells and not enough time spent attacking.
There's also the fact that a team that features one of yuffie, aerith or tifa is well rounded, but all 3 I was a mess. To get through it I had to unequip so much materia from the others to reconfigure and was forced into a totally new rhythm. The battles leading up to it were too forgiving and didn't test my setup enough, then I was changing the entire setup all over just before the battle with no test run possible.

I just forgot to change materia and went in either half equipped or wearing all the poo poo I just had on to leech AP. It was a very long fight that only really turned in my favour when I got to pop an Aerith L2 limit and dole out mindless thrashings.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

It doesnt help that Tifa is really bad in this fight unless the boss is staggered.

One thing that helped me was using Yuffie's Foxfire and Aerith's Spellbound blast for quick ATB gains. You can block or run away from attacks when needed. Thunder does most of the work in this fight and anyone can use Manaward for double casting.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

WaltherFeng posted:

It doesnt help that Tifa is really bad in this fight unless the boss is staggered.

One thing that helped me was using Yuffie's Foxfire and Aerith's Spellbound blast for quick ATB gains. You can block or run away from attacks when needed. Thunder does most of the work in this fight and anyone can use Manaward for double casting.

The whole fight I was switching to Aerith and saying my kingdom for a thunder materia.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

cubicle gangster posted:

I think it largely comes down to being prepared to do huge damage once she's staggered. Ideally you should be able to do a synergy ability plus one or two limit breaks (plus whatever other normal ATB skills).

I also wouldn't sleep on the Refocus synergy abilities. Refocus effectively is a huge increase to ATB generation, and using it seems to enable a lot of stuff afterwards (since you can rapidly get the charges for another synergy ability with the other party member).

For example, let's say Cloud has 4 synergy bars and the other two party members have 3 each. You use Refocus. You probably instantly have a couple ATB bars on Cloud from that (or will in a few seconds). Spend them on stuff that gives synergy bars, and then you can do another synergy ability with the remaining party member.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Mar 20, 2024

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tifa's synergy dodge makes her basically completely invulnerable to the second phase. She just dances around that whole thing.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I'm genuinely wondering if we've accidentally set the difficulty wrong. I beat that whole fight without killing both hands in any phase - just ground it down.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

lines posted:

I'm genuinely wondering if we've accidentally set the difficulty wrong. I beat that whole fight without killing both hands in any phase - just ground it down.

In the end I went gently caress this and just hammered the body. I didn't really have any good tools to target the hands beside Yuffie spam which just wasn't getting it done even with lightning. Hammering away meant I had heaps of ATB to dump on the thing until it went away. It took me like five minutes of futzing around to change my strategy to ape mode though.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Multiple ways to sort the enemy intel section would be really nice. Even just listing them alphabetically would be an improvement over whatever loving order they are in.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

One thing I'm missing is a way to filter out icons on the map. Searching for the one QB player I haven't fought in a sea of similar-colored icons is mad annoying. Although I guess since I'm finished with that now it doesn't matter.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Gongaga is more difficult to navigate than it's necessary but its also really gorgeous. I wouldnt bother with the open world otherwise. And the rewards are usually worth the effort.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

lines posted:

Oftentimes there are things I read in these threads that genuinely make me wonder if we're playing the same game

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

IcePhoenix posted:

Oftentimes there are things I read in these threads that genuinely make me wonder if we're playing the same game

In my defence we hadn't specced into lightning. I just kept hitting it!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

lines posted:

At least before postgame, I'm assuming, the level scaling on Dynamic isn't aggressive enough. It should probably keep things three levels in-front of you, not behind.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

really wish there were loadouts in the game. Coming across a fight like scarlet, having to completely reconfigure materia on three characters and then remember where everything was after gets pretty annoying

Also, genuinely, how do you deliberately get to use synergy abilities? I’m 75 hours in and just kind of enjoy them as a happy accident when that menu option lights up and I get to use one

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Wamsutta posted:

Also, genuinely, how do you deliberately get to use synergy abilities? I’m 75 hours in and just kind of enjoy them as a happy accident when that menu option lights up and I get to use one

Simply using any ATB ability (except the 0-mp spells from the Folio) charges up synergy for that character, it shows as blue bars near the limit gauge. Once both characters have built enough charge you can use the ability (and you can check how much is needed in the synergy menu, missing charge will be shown in red). Note that they will require more charge for repeated use.

fezball fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Mar 20, 2024

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Why does the game need to zoom in and show me, pausing the game for five seconds or so, every time Yin-Yang swaps its attack mode.

And why did they think to add multiple of them to battle challenges so the games pausing constantly? It feels so bad to play and disruptive when it does that.

This game has some really high highs and then it does baffling poo poo (like all of Gongaga) that leave a sour taste and they feel worse because they're so notably rare!

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Kujata was a huge pain in the rear end even on the easiest setting, I've been fighting them on their hardest form but gently caress that

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Why does the game need to zoom in and show me, pausing the game for five seconds or so, every time Yin-Yang swaps its attack mode.

I’d rather it be obvious than possibly miss it.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I just got to Shinra manor in a replay of the OG, and Yin and Yang pausing the fight and being an obnoxious pace-killer on your fun is 100% accurate to the original

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Do you ever get more than one weapon skill slot? I'm in Junon region. I have about 4 skills to choose for the one slot and it seems weird there's only one. Like I'm missing something.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Books On Tape posted:

Do you ever get more than one weapon skill slot? I'm in Junon region. I have about 4 skills to choose for the one slot and it seems weird there's only one. Like I'm missing something.

Yeah, you get more slots as your weapon level goes up.

Doctor Roosevelt
Jun 17, 2006

Nap Ghost

Josuke Higashikata posted:

This is a reference to what the OG did when Yang’s mood would change in battle (“Yang is happy”), though I suspect that was also to prepare players for fighting the boss waiting in the safe changing what type of damage it was vulnerable to (though that only happens once midway through the fight iirc).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Yin-Yang zoom in thing is totally fine when you're fighting one of them as a boss encounter, but when you're fighting two of them at the same time in a battle arena, and also doing that multiple times in multiple different encounters during the same quest, it does get pretty old

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Books On Tape posted:

I think it maxes out at 4 weapon skills slots eventually.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Minor gripe, but I hate what they did with Shinra Manor. Yeah, it was like three screens in the original game, but those screens had personality and charm. In Rebirth it’s just an elevator to that box factory in the Simpsons.

You can’t even go upstairs.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Almost Smart posted:

Minor gripe, but I hate what they did with Shinra Manor. Yeah, it was like three screens in the original game, but those screens had personality and charm. In Rebirth it’s just an elevator to that box factory in the Simpsons.

You can’t even go upstairs.

agreed. They could have had you go upstairs and been silly with it. Give me the hidden bookshelf. Have someone comically falling backwards and accidently grabbing a book to catch themselves to accidentally open the spiral staircase. Then fill the space in between with lovely box factory or whatever

Edit hell Cait Sith is perfect for it, since he knows about shinra stuff and could pretend it was an accident.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
With Cait Sith's moogle mount is there a way to make it leave combat once summoned or does it have to get destroyed for that? I'm trying to learn the Moogle Kaboom skill but I've never seen it go off so I'm wondering what I'm missing

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

With Cait Sith's moogle mount is there a way to make it leave combat once summoned or does it have to get destroyed for that? I'm trying to learn the Moogle Kaboom skill but I've never seen it go off so I'm wondering what I'm missing

It has to get destroyed for that but if you're having trouble just take him alone into a Chadley Challenge and let the enemies smash up the moogle.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Also just hammering the weapon skill as much as possible for a few battles will get you the skill in no time, if the condition is too hard to fulfill. The weapon skill xp accumulates super quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
thanks, that's how I just got it but I was wondering if there was something I was missing to trigger it as I dont think I ever actually saw the ability come off but no matter!

e: Also I'll gladly suffer all the grinding to a halt to listen to Chadley drone on about world intel if I could just swap my equipment & materia in the combat simulator

Luxury Tent Carpet fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 20, 2024