Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Thumbtacks posted:

apparently pawns are really good now and have excellent AI

I hope so! But also it'd be funny if they were really stupid again. Frustrating, but funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

apparently pawns are really good now and have excellent AI

As long as I don’t have to babysit inclinations again I’ll be happy. That was a pain.

I’m sure it’s been asked multiple times, but do we have an idea what stat growth per level is like in 2? I bounce around vocations a lot and I know that somewhat gimps you in the first.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bussamove posted:

As long as I don’t have to babysit inclinations again I’ll be happy. That was a pain.

I’m sure it’s been asked multiple times, but do we have an idea what stat growth per level is like in 2? I bounce around vocations a lot and I know that somewhat gimps you in the first.

Stats change based on Vocation now. So if you switch from a fighter to mage you'll just have mage stats instead of accruing stats as you level like the first game.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Bussamove posted:

IIRC they've said that your stats are just determined by your vocation and level now, or something like that. No more stat growth to worry about.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Jack Trades posted:

You could also...just walk away from the thing you can't kill?
The game is relatively slow and the one time I couldn't reasonably kill something in DD1, I just walked away and came back later.

And 99% of the time you could do that in DD1 but there was a setpiece I remember where a convergence of a surprise monster, the game's autosave feature, the inventory management system, a status effect you hadn't seen yet, and the game disabling fleeing for that fight could've hosed you over and made you use your last manual save -which hopefully hadn't been too long before the surprise fight.

DD1 also leaned heavily into martial characters being awesome, so Capcom definitely deserves the benefit of the doubt there, but it's completely reasonable for people to raise an eyebrow at that tweet.

Bussamove posted:

I've seen it mentioned the stat growth vocation thing isn't gonna be an issue this time.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Have any of the streamers talked about the keyboard controls? When I booted up the character creator the game was like "WOW YOU BEST PLUG IN A GAMEPAD" but on the steam page it says mostly playable and might require a keyboard.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
People being worried about enemies you can't damage with physical attacks seem to be forgetting that there were absolutely enemies you couldn't damage with pure physical attacks in DD1 too. This is not a new feature and the fact that you totally forgot about it suggests that it's not actually that big a deal because there were so many ways to mitigate it that you probably did it by accident.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Have any of the streamers talked about the keyboard controls? When I booted up the character creator the game was like "WOW YOU BEST PLUG IN A GAMEPAD" but on the steam page it says mostly playable and might require a keyboard.

It's probably exactly like the first game in that it's playable with kb+m but works much better with a controller.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

dog's dragma - two

I can't remember why I didn't finish the first game originally, I loving love Monster Hunter but MHW was my first introduction to it. First time around DD1 I got about 20 hours in apparently (according to steam). So decided to restart it and am replaying, it is very good. I have had to give up on a couple early fights (the troll in Everfall?), but I like how often you can just re-assess how you are tackling a fight and find what seemed impossible was totally achievable. I definitely need to take more curatives though.

I assume there's no way to totally heal outside of curatives and resting at the inn?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The Cheshire Cat posted:

People being worried about enemies you can't damage with physical attacks seem to be forgetting that there were absolutely enemies you couldn't damage with pure physical attacks in DD1 too. This is not a new feature and the fact that you totally forgot about it suggests that it's not actually that big a deal because there were so many ways to mitigate it that you probably did it by accident.

Yeah I legitimately can't think of any because that's how easy it was. More annoying for melee classes are flying monsters and poo poo that's just out of your reach. Which is why I look forward to warfarer.

Jack Trades posted:

It's probably exactly like the first game in that it's playable with kb+m but works much better with a controller.

That's been my assumption, so I guess I'll stick with it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Owl Inspector posted:

Random arisen I made before I decided on a pawn, might try to make a Saga arisen although I've already spent a few hours goofing around in the editor this week and learned I am not on the same level as the people making these

Alright I normally don't care for pawns resembling real people/fictional characters, but I would make an exception for Handsome Squidward

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm thinking about going Mystic spearhand this time. In the first game I played Big Sword Man and while that was fun, I want to switch things up a bit. Looks like it'll be a combo between fighter and mage which is incidentally a type of class I've played a few times in games like Dark Souls / Elden Ring.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
Man, slime enemies, turreting the head of a golem. I can't wait.

Also won't the pawn STD be like a Corrupted Blood Incident where it will just take over the game and eventually all pawns will have it?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If your Arisen ends up getting it they get carted off to jail

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Reviews should be dropping in a little under 4 hours.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Sioux posted:

Man, slime enemies, turreting the head of a golem. I can't wait.

Also won't the pawn STD be like a Corrupted Blood Incident where it will just take over the game and eventually all pawns will have it?

It sounds like if a Pawn passes it on they no longer have it, and you can kill a Pawn to get rid of it, so I imagine a lot of people will infect someone else's Pawn and then throw them off a cliff to just be rid of the infection.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Can't wait for the true mark of quality. IGN giving it a 3.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Is preloading a thing on Steam as well? I don't think I've ever played one of these games on release day.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Phlegmish posted:

Is preloading a thing on Steam as well? I don't think I've ever played one of these games on release day.

It can be, it's up to the publisher. So far they haven't enabled it on Steam but it might become available later today or tomorrow.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Depending on how good your internet connection is versus your storage speed, decrypting can take longer than downloading as well.

I suspect this game will be large enough that pre-loading will be quicker overall for most.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I found this article saying preloading will be available on all platforms starting sometime today:

https://videogames.si.com/guides/dr...e%20two%20days.

Don't know how accurate this will end up being.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Phlegmish posted:

I found this article saying preloading will be available on all platforms starting sometime today:

https://videogames.si.com/guides/dr...e%20two%20days.

Don't know how accurate this will end up being.

Can confirm it's available for preload on PS5 since I did it this morning.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
After burning the Erdtree Melina wakes up in a strange land with a dragon having plucked out her heart. Fortunately a trustworthy ally appears to battle at her side.

I hope I don't get a bunch of 3 star ratings from people throwing Patches off cliffs.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Why did you yassify Melina?

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Jack Trades posted:

Why did you yassify Melina?

Because slay the dragon queen.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Rinkles posted:

i do appreciate it when review embargos end BEFORE the drat game is released

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
My pawns almost always had my sword buffed with some element in the first one so I'm really not too concerned about immunities.

I think you'd have bigger issues if you managed to comprise a team that didn't have some answer to resistances.

Didn't they give fighters the shield buffs from mystic knight as well?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

GMG, I love you but now I'm getting nervoussssss

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

There are cases in DD1 where playing a melee or non-hybrid class makes your group mostly or entirely unable to kill something, which absolutely sucks and there’s more cases it can happen than a bunch of posters in this thread are implying, but it also specifically only happened because the pawn feature shipped without AI so they wouldn’t kill the thing that you needed them for. if pawns now understand things like “use ranged attack on thing too far to melee” and can actually cover for your own class’s limitations it will be fine

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Draven posted:

My pawns almost always had my sword buffed with some element in the first one so I'm really not too concerned about immunities.

I think you'd have bigger issues if you managed to comprise a team that didn't have some answer to resistances.

Didn't they give fighters the shield buffs from mystic knight as well?

Yeah, and Thieves can light themselves on fire. I think every class is going to have some kind of elemental option(s).

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Owl Inspector posted:

There are cases in DD1 where playing a melee or non-hybrid class makes your group mostly or entirely unable to kill something, which absolutely sucks and there’s more cases it can happen than a bunch of posters in this thread are implying, but it also specifically only happened because the pawn feature shipped without AI so they wouldn’t kill the thing that you needed them for. if pawns now understand things like “use ranged attack on thing too far to melee” and can actually cover for your own class’s limitations it will be fine

I reinstalled DD1 a couple weeks ago, got to the harpies in the canyon, and realized 1) I'd bought skyward slash instead of cymball call and that was The Wrong Skill for this, and 2) my mage pawn wasn't going to fix this for me.

What would y'all think about switching to your pawn like the newer FF games or Genshin Impact?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I prefer the Pawn system as-is, an AI controlled party member. I don't want direct control over them, depending on them to do their job is part of the fun for me. A Pawn feeling like it's own individual is an important part of why I enjoyed Dragon's Dogma 1 and it's a big part of what I'm looking forward to in 2. They're not just an extra body for me to command around, they're like... my buddy. Taking on the world together.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Inzombiac posted:

GMG, I love you but now I'm getting nervoussssss

This happens all the time with new releases on GMG. Honestly wouldn't expect a key until tomorrow morning at the earliest.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sea Lily posted:

I prefer the Pawn system as-is, an AI controlled party member. I don't want direct control over them, depending on them to do their job is part of the fun for me. A Pawn feeling like it's own individual is an important part of why I enjoyed Dragon's Dogma 1 and it's a big part of what I'm looking forward to in 2. They're not just an extra body for me to command around, they're like... my buddy. Taking on the world together.

Same. I want it to be like the first game where you enter a temple or something, they comment on how it's a sacred place we should treat with reverence, before immediately grabbing and smashing every urn, vase, pot, or crate they can find in search of loot

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I desperately want Itsuno to do an action game where we can swap between characters and do MVC poo poo, but I don't want Dragon's Dogma to be that.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Depending on how good your internet connection is versus your storage speed, decrypting can take longer than downloading as well.

I suspect this game will be large enough that pre-loading will be quicker overall for most.
In my experience the decryption goes at like 150MB/s so if you can download faster than that, it's not worth preloading.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

...wind is pushin' meeeee...

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Sea Lily posted:

It sounds like if a Pawn passes it on they no longer have it, and you can kill a Pawn to get rid of it, so I imagine a lot of people will infect someone else's Pawn and then throw them off a cliff to just be rid of the infection.

Foist it off on a streamer pawn.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

K8.0 posted:

I desperately want Itsuno to do an action game where we can swap between characters and do MVC poo poo, but I don't want Dragon's Dogma to be that.

Pawn swapping could be neat but if it's anything like Genshin Impact, it would feel less like a team and more like each character is just a utility font.

GI had some neat ideas but the need to rapidly switch through your roster got old pretty fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

There are no options for things like earrings in the character creator, right? I assume maybe they'll be wearable items you can find in-game.