Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

if you look at a finished game you previously added to your wishlist and you don't still think "I would want to play this right now if I owned it," just remove it from the list. there are way too many good games now to play everything you'd enjoy, so there's no point in spending time and attention on something that doesn't even resonate with you on some immediate level. I have 4 finished games on my wishlist and 15 below them that are either early access or unreleased, which I'll choose whether to keep or remove when they hit 1.0, and it's likely I won't play most of those, I just don't want to forget about them before they're out with reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

StrixNebulosa posted:

I really should get around to buying these at some point... never played a COD!

The OG WW2 CODs are legitimately fantastic titles.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

I'm at 521 wishlisted items, but I really just use it as a way of bookmarking even vague interest in stuff. That said there's a lot of trash on there I need to purge. Several completely dead things that never developed into anything but are asking for money, and things like that. I feel like ahh, it's no big deal, but then I worry that someone might actually gift me one of them and that'd feel really lousy.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

aas Bandit posted:

owned: 478
wishlist: 34

I tend to get stuck on games I really enjoy and play the poo poo out of them.
How many hours on your most-played game?

Mine is currently around 4000 hours on the Trackmania game series, part of that on Ubi launcher (or ~2400 hours on Trackmania United, if I pick one game).
Most of that is time spent in the editor making tracks and playtesting.
I mainly play one game, Hell Let Loose and everything else fits in between my playtime of that game. I have about 3,000 hours on Hell Let Loose. My second most played game is Battlebit, and then it goes way down from there. I still fit in games, but I can't stick with most games for more than a week before I go back.

I started playing Kenshi this week and it's actually not as daunting as I thought it would be. It reminds me of a game I already own but obviously Kenshi has a bunch more systems, but desolation tycoon is a really stripped down apocalypse trading game. Speaking of which, Desolation Tycoon is on sale for $3.00.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 20, 2024

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the oldest game in my wishlist in terms of release date is MURI by Daniel Remar (Ijji, Ittle Dew, etc), and second oldest is Black Ice which launched in early access in 2014 and is still in development (but active development; it gets updates every couple of months)

technically the two Star Trek ms-dos adventure games are older but their release date on Steam is set to whenever they were added to Steam (2015) rather than the actual 90s release dates

I might remove some older stuff but it's not going to be a lot. i generally put stuff on my wishlist that I either know I'm going to like, or that I've already played a demo of. which is why my wishlist is so populated with games from 2021-2023, because of the Steam Next Fests.

most hours i've put into a game was Team Fortress 2 by a country mile, i played a lot of TF2 in the early 2010s with friends and also trying out and exploring custom maps. Borderlands 2 is second most, because of my friends and I co-oping the campaign and DLCs. Lingo is third most at 106 hours, Terraria at 103, My Time at Sandrock at 70 and The Last Remnant at 70.

e: if you really want to know how nerdy I am about tracking my games I have a giant Google Sheet tracking my current Steam backlog, Itch.io bundle backlog, GOG/Amazon/EGS backlog, Switch backlog, PS5 backlog, Retro game backlog, and then retro games I'd like to try in the future, all different tabs of the same spreadsheet

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 20, 2024

Orv
May 4, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh my god there was a Sum of All Fears video game? What would that even be

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Orv posted:

Oh my god there was a Sum of All Fears video game? What would that even be

quote:

Babies first tactical shooter. It's what would happen if the OG Rainbow Six and the OG Ghost Recon had a baby. A beautiful hybrid that has Ghost Recons gameplay with Rainbow Sixes levels. The game itself is fairly easy in comparison to the two, and in my experience makes for a unique hybrid shooter.

Just a heads up though, the game has an issue with the .exe being corrupt, so you have to download a fix. It's playable in COOP so grab a few buddies and host a LAN Party.
That's a recent one, but reviews seem fairly in agreement with that assessment, even the oldest ones.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

aas Bandit posted:

Not sure about anything else, but Gloomwood is really loving cool. Super old-school feeling, with lots of secrets and skulking around and managing inventory space and lots of sweating while you're counting bullets and wondering if you can take out the next group of Evil Assholes and survive, or if you need to sneak by and look for more resources. Early access still, but it's fantastic and makes me feel like I'm a kid again. Just a sense of wonder.

Well that just sold a copy.

(4000+ hours in FFXIV)

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

aas Bandit posted:

Mine is currently around 4000 hours on the Trackmania game series, part of that on Ubi launcher (or ~2400 hours on Trackmania United, if I pick one game).

Obviously this doesn't count games I played pre-Steam or off of it, but 3180 hours on Lost Ark. Probably never going to touch it again, but I was obsessed for the better part of a year.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Sigh. Invited my partner to the new steam family thing, it rejected him beause his bank account is in another country, despite him sitting next to me in the same room, and now I can't play his copy of Vampire Survivors anymore. :(

I wonder what happens if you invite somebody to your family, it gets accepted, then they move to another country.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They are no longer your family. Gaben has decreed it

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

Well that just sold a copy.

(4000+ hours in FFXIV)

Yay! I hope you like it. Just posting about it made me realize I haven't played it in a few weeks.
I need to get back into it and explore more of the walled city area, hopefully without getting hosed up by something...

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

They are no longer your family. Gaben has decreed it

RIP. We had a good run.

It's such a USA centric view of things, I can't imagine they'll keep it this restrictive, right??

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hogama posted:

That's a recent one, but reviews seem fairly in agreement with that assessment, even the oldest ones.

Bizarre.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

aas Bandit posted:

Jossar posted:

Obviously this doesn't count games I played pre-Steam or off of it, but 3180 hours on Lost Ark. Probably never going to touch it again, but I was obsessed for the better part of a year.

Hey fellow Lost Ark-er: I got really obsessed with that game as well as, despite its many issues that made me quit, I think it has some of the best ARPG combat feel. Really hoping that Path of Exile 2 scratches a similar itch as it seems to be following in its footsteps from the trailer footage.

So yeah, both Lost Ark and Marvel Heroes are topping my list around 500 hours for similar reasons: great top-down combat and so many fun classes.

Other big games are PAYDAY 2 at around 600 hours, Warframe at 300 hours, and Planetside 2 and Monster Hunter World around 250 hours.

It's not on Steam but I'm sure I have an embarrassing amount of hours in FFXIV.

Other than that, I'm usually pretty one-and-done with most games. I've been thinking of trying to change that for some stuff though: I feel bad that I one-and-done Devil May Crys since most people say the best part of them is replaying on a higher difficulty and Bloody Palace and all that jazz.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Nettle Soup posted:

It's such a USA centric view of things, I can't imagine they'll keep it this restrictive, right??

I wouldn't be surprised if some games can't be sold in certain countries (e.g., pro-Nazi games in Germany or whatever in China) and that they need to do something like this to avoid landing in legal hot water.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

FutureCop posted:

So yeah, both Lost Ark and Marvel Heroes are topping my list around 500 hours for similar reasons: great top-down combat and so many fun classes.
Some day an arpg will recreate the Marvel Heroes magic, and that'll be it for me. Cosmic today.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I have 0 items on my wishlist because I've learned my lesson by buying 1000 games that I had wishlisted and barely played. These days I only buy a game if it's such a big deal that I know about its release without a wishlist reminding me. Helldivers, Balatro and Kingsvein are the only games I've bought in 2024 so far :colbert:

e: And Palworld

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 20, 2024

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Some day an arpg will recreate the Marvel Heroes magic, and that'll be it for me. Cosmic today.

a private server is being worked on. its slow going.

https://crypto137.github.io/MHServerEmu/

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kly posted:

a private server is being worked on. its slow going.

https://crypto137.github.io/MHServerEmu/

What no secret cabal of coders making a server no one knows about for years? Why even make a superhero MMO private server?!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Cojawfee posted:

Coming up on 10 years since I added this to my wishlist. I'll never buy it.

Counterpoint: you should absolutely buy VCD and play it right now.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Power Wash has almost completely superceded VCD in the public consciousness by being just a lot more satisfying and less fiddly to actually play.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

That's the last good one so go for it

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Feel like the price should be lower considering the age of the game.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

The pricing of the old COD games has been meme worthy for ages. Especially considering the multiplayer components are typically an absolute nightmare these days, so you're only really getting the campaign.

Some of the newer COD games are priced around or sometimes even lower than stuff like Black Ops 1 and the original Modern Warfare 2. Say what you will about Activision but they know the perceived/relative value of their output..

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I have no idea what the bottom game is and apparently it's been de-listed from Steam.

Otherwise a couple bangers I'm definitely going to enjoy at some point, a LEGO game (they are really chill, ok!?) and maybe one day I'll finally finish Spacechem's campaign.

Spacechem is the only game that took over my life to the point that I was obsessively thinking of solutions 24/7, it got a little too intense.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
They delisted the Last Remnant when they announced the remaster, but then released it only for consoles.

That said, it's not particularly interesting JRPG, even if the combat is quite unique.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fruits of the sea posted:

I have no idea what the bottom game is and apparently it's been de-listed from Steam.

Otherwise a couple bangers I'm definitely going to enjoy at some point, a LEGO game (they are really chill, ok!?) and maybe one day I'll finally finish Spacechem's campaign.

Spacechem is the only game that took over my life to the point that I was obsessively thinking of solutions 24/7, it got a little too intense.

Last Remnant is another universe's primo JRPG series leaking into ours. It tries a bunch of weird stuff, is wildly overambitious and delivers on almost none of it but you can play it and see where we might be on Last Remnant IX now or something if they'd had some more time to work it.

Great music though.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
So very pumped for Horizon: FW. Remembering back to 2022 when it came out thinking one day I'll get to play it on PC and it's finally happening tomorrow. Giddy-thefuck-up.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Kennel posted:

They delisted the Last Remnant when they announced the remaster, but then released it only for consoles.

That said, it's not particularly interesting JRPG, even if the combat is quite unique.
Before the actual SaGa games got on PC, it was SaGa for PC.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Date added is interesting but what about the game with the worst review score on your wishlist?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

a real rude dude posted:

Date added is interesting but what about the game with the worst review score on your wishlist?

Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader at 76%.

That said, I only have six games on my wishlist, with three of them not being out yet.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

a real rude dude posted:

this is a very cruel thing you are doing but I am absolutely taking the bait:

Pac-Man Champion 2, I guess I should just replay 1
Crystal Story: Dawn of Dusk, which I guess is too short
DUNGEON: Cradel of hell, which has 1 public review and broken images on the store page hahaaa :sweatdrop:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

a real rude dude posted:

They're one and the same!

MEGASPHERE was added in 2015, is still in 'early access', and has a review score of 66%. At this point I'm just keep tabs on it for the spectacle, its scope and steam blurb have changed substantially over the years.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

What is the plan for when you have more than 100 games on the wishlist? Are you just waiting for if they hit 75-90% off?

I feel like if a game hits that and you don't buy it, you probably didn't want it that bad anyway and should purge it.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

a real rude dude posted:

Dragon Throne: Battle of Red Cliffs at 64%. It's one of those games from the late 90s/early 00s that ZOOM Platform is dumping on Steam just so they're available to modern distribution platforms, but with minimal effort in trying to update everything. So the game naturally runs at 1024 x 768 without any sound, unless you take the time to go and monkey around with your computer. Most of the people who get over those issues seem to like the game well enough though.

Ineffiable posted:

What is the plan for when you have more than 100 games on the wishlist? Are you just waiting for if they hit 75-90% off?

I feel like if a game hits that and you don't buy it, you probably didn't want it that bad anyway and should purge it.
Yeah, for most of these I'm waiting for a 90% sale to force myself to either just buy it already or toss it off the list.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 20, 2024

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

I had Blood Bowl 3 on there until this week, which was 'mostly negative' I have to let it go though and turn my back on it

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Ineffiable posted:

my plan is to hit the Wishlist button if a game's listing seems interesting at a glance and remembering it later seems like something Future Me would like to do

there is no step beyond that

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ineffiable posted:

I keep games I’m kind of interested in on the wish list to flag when bundles come up that include them.

Like Strix, I own more games than I’ll ever play, but that’s fine. I have more money than time at this point in my life and I get enjoyment out of the possibility of playing stuff. It’s the same reason I own so many books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I curate the gently caress out of my wishlists because my brain is stupid, and interprets a big list of games not as "I'll keep my eye on all this cool stuff and check out the discounts that pop up", but as "I NEED TO CHECK OFF THIS LIST OF PURCHASES ASAP", which then turns into choice paralysis and varying levels of "I need to buy this now, what happens if I don't? Will it even ever go on sale again? What if it gets de-listed?" every time there's a sale.

But hey, loving autism I guess.

Right now I have 1 game wishlisted - Wizordium - which fits my increasingly narrow field of interests and I know has a roadmap of content I'm keeping an eye on through 2024. I'll only add to that when Night Dive reveal their next plans or other 90's classic remasters/re-releases appear, or for Bloodborne. My wishlist is essentially just my own personal road map of games I'm 100% buying but haven't released yet (or only have 1 or 2 episodes in Early Access). Sometimes that means I've got 0 I guess.

Bumhead fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 20, 2024