Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

mycot posted:

For what it's worth it's mostly something that you do for the sake of it, AFAIK the only material rewards you miss out on are the Duke, one potential way of getting the "good" ending for the Foundry, and a really minor quest reward from the Society of Brilliance.

Well...after breaking those quests, I went to the next map and obviously the first thing I did was to enter the sewers that were right there, and the sewers led me directly to Orin where I unknowingly broke the other half the Act 3 quests instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Well...after breaking those quests, I went to the next map and obviously the first thing I did was to enter the sewers that were right there, and the sewers led me directly to Orin where I unknowingly broke the other half the Act 3 quests instantly.

what quests were broekn exactly

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

feller posted:

what quests were broekn exactly

Everything related to Gortash and Orin.
The Foundry and the Iron Throne were just removed from the map.
The game just kills Ravegard right in front of me with 9999 DM damage, even though I went out of my way to protect him.
A buttload of quests constantly go "All these weird murders. What could they possibly be?!" despite the Bhaal cult already being turn to paste, by me. Without any option for me to mention that. So they send you to investigate something you have already done.

I already bitched about it before, and while I understand that those are all stopgap dev solutions to fix something that would take too much effort to fix otherwise, I think they did a really poor job at guiding you away from making those two choices that the game clearly isn't prepared for.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Beat Orin and taunted her about her gross family. I only today found the note that lays out how Sarevok is both her grandfather and her father.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Geekboy posted:

I’m doing a run as Karlach as an Oath of Devotion Paladin and decided to romance (spoiler for the very last scenes) Wyll so they can run off into the hells together, but drat if she doesn’t deserve someone more interesting than romance cover goody two shoes. Or maybe that makes sense because she deserves a happy ending so drat much.

I recruited Jaheira and Minsc as quickly as I could with Jaheira as her default class (for now) and Minsc as an Open Hand Monk. I miss my Karlach Miss Piggy HIYAHs but this should be a good mix.

Still deciding if I’ll leave Jaheira a Druid and who that last spot should be when I’m not doing character missions, but this seems like the prime choice for dialogue.

After this, it might be time to hang up the game for a while. I have beaten it at least once with every class and this’ll be my first origin run. That seems like plenty until more stuff is added or it’s been stable long enough to be worth really modding.

Honestly it felt better to play as Wyll instead, not that this invalid but iirc wyll gets some extra scenes.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Geekboy posted:

I’m doing a run as Karlach as an Oath of Devotion Paladin and decided to romance (spoiler for the very last scenes) Wyll so they can run off into the hells together, but drat if she doesn’t deserve someone more interesting than romance cover goody two shoes.

That's correct. That someone is me.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

That's correct. That someone is me.

Wyll makes a great avatar because the tav options don't seem like they are OOC but rather adding character. Which is unfortunate.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Speaking of wyll with saving his dad and defeating the wyrm in my game this time instead of being the blade of avernus he told me he's gonna become grand duke wyll ravenguard and his personality shot up like 100 percent.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
this time around, Wyll is the obvious choice for my buddy BOOOAL there :)

I really loved Shadowheart's reaction: "Uh, I am NOT being sacrificed, ok? :rolleyes:"

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I haven't played the Early Access version but based on what I've heard, I wish Larian would've stuck with that version of Wyll.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Jack Trades posted:

I haven't played the Early Access version but based on what I've heard, I wish Larian would've stuck with that version of Wyll.

He had a ton of reactivity in the goblin camp which was cool, but he also whined about getting his lunch stolen by lvl 2 goblins.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Woolie Wool posted:

So after planning my whole playthrough around recruiting Minsc. it turns out he basically needs a respec immediately into an entirely different class because the 5E Ranger class does not allow him to be played according to his actual character and personality. Also he's already at level cap even if the party isn't so I never get to see him grow in power and develop. Feels kind of :effort:, like they cared more about the gag than about him being a real party member. Also to make him play like he did in BG2 is to basically turn him into a second Karlach with no involvement in the story.

I'll agree that Ranger just kinda sucks (I made him a Fighter/Barbarian), but I liked him being max level no matter the party's, felt right for this legendary figure.

Also I'd argue he has lots to say about the act 3 events, more than several of the origins. Also the best speech by far for the final fite.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I like Thief/Gloomstalkers because you can initiate like an Assassin and are more tankier

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I like Thief/Gloomstalkers because you can initiate like an Assassin and are more tankier

My go to for Astarion is ranger/rogue and it's pretty decent.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Mike the TV posted:

He had a ton of reactivity in the goblin camp which was cool, but he also whined about getting his lunch stolen by lvl 2 goblins.

I didnt really get to experiment that much with Early Access Wyll but Im really happy with the way Gale turned out after the rewrite, even if his new voice direction took an hour or two to get used to.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

ZearothK posted:

I'll agree that Ranger just kinda sucks (I made him a Fighter/Barbarian), but I liked him being max level no matter the party's, felt right for this legendary figure.

Also I'd argue he has lots to say about the act 3 events, more than several of the origins. Also the best speech by far for the final fite.

Considering Jaheira should be level like 24, does D&D account for age bringing your level down? Or do level caps changing from edition to edition get any kind of explanation?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Goa Tse-tung posted:

3 Assassin/9 Fighter. With Action Surge you get to initiate with 4 attacks, 5 if you have two weapons, and if you have Haste...:getin:

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Shard posted:

Considering Jaheira should be level like 24, does D&D account for age bringing your level down? Or do level caps changing from edition to edition get any kind of explanation?

Age affects stats (generally the "brain" stats go up and the "physical" stats go down) but not level iirc. Jaheira and Minsc are just hiding their power levels to make the adventure more fun.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

wizard2 posted:

I didnt really get to experiment that much with Early Access Wyll but Im really happy with the way Gale turned out after the rewrite, even if his new voice direction took an hour or two to get used to.

Nuclear take: Gale's story is more underbaked than Wyll's

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Mzbundifund posted:

Iron Throne was such a cool sequence, one of my favorite set pieces in the game.

It is super fun once you know the deal going in and can plan your team loadout for it, but lol what a disaster going in blind the first time.

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

Not as much as what happened in the fireworks shop fight. I caught the Banite dudes at the top of the stairs after sending Astarion in invisible, initiated dialogue to make them hostile but they still couldn't see me, used the Assassin subclass abilities plus Extra Attack plus Action Surge plus Luck of the Far Realms to murder three of them on the spot, then slaughtered everyone in the building, and finally a Flaming Fist guard shows up to try to arrest me for...being upstairs. Passed a Persuasion check and was let go, I guess the corpses littering the establishment are nothing to worry about.

After doing my first playthrough basically role playing myself, an obsessively earnest rule-follower do-gooder, it's been breaking my brain how easy it is to murder people in this game. Shadowheart killed 3 Tieflings in the Emerald Grove because someone objected to her stealing a shovel, and the rest of the townspeople didn't bat an eyelash.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Nuclear take: Gale's story is more underbaked than Wyll's

Wyll's main problem is that he feels like a side character to others in his personal quest and the lack of agency at key points. That said everyone really should be bringing him out more in the third act because of the funny banter while around the city.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

watchoutitsabear posted:

After doing my first playthrough basically role playing myself, an obsessively earnest rule-follower do-gooder, it's been breaking my brain how easy it is to murder people in this game. Shadowheart killed 3 Tieflings in the Emerald Grove because someone objected to her stealing a shovel, and the rest of the townspeople didn't bat an eyelash.

Given how eager every one else in the world is to kill tieflings they were hardly going to be surprised.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Tieflings used to be the race everyone played because they were edgelords, now they're the race everyone plays because they're hot.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Tieflings used to be the race everyone played because they were edgelords, now they're the race everyone plays because they're hot.

no you're thinking of dragonborn

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Everyone plays durge as a hot tiefling with neck tats meanwhile I just wanted to play a psycho dwarf with crazy eyes the first time around. :smith:

Janissary Hop posted:

no you're thinking of dragonborn

Really came to appreciate how out there and thematic default durge is as possible PC of course Bhaal, the teenage edgelord god would pick that as his avatar it makes perfect thematic sense and also how jacked and tall they are. Made for some great moments when I was rolling for intimidation or spouting of the action movie one liners OoV paladins get since they moved most of the cringe boy scout lines to good Clerics.
Just to be clear I found them so bad Other than the recontextualized chat with Aylin and Isobel which was pretty good as the durge but that was outweighed by the cringefest SH banter/romance lines that I was happy to switch to faithless sorcadin when I hit level 12.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 20, 2024

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

My current Durge is a Underdark Gnome with a spaniard goatee and curly hair that is part paladin part cleric to the god of death and part bard. He is my short king, and his girlfriend Karlach loves him very much

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Also I beat Orin so easily lol. Put that perilous strike on her, used a haste before the fight starts, killed her with three smites. Then I ran the fight again because I wanted to get the trophy for it. I told her to stop playing with her food and she used two daggers to stab Lazel through the eyes in her brain. This game can loving kill your big characters so often.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

🫡 Paladins keep winning and will make you feel like a heroic badass. Big Swords and Big smites are a match made in heaven.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

watchoutitsabear posted:

Yeah I also found that for NPCs that are generic flavor filler, the game sometimes just doesn't care at all. Like in act 3 some lady was being an rear end in a top hat taunting beggars so I quicksaved then had Karlach throw her off a loving bridge to her death directly in front of some guards. Nothing happened :lol:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Lawman 0 posted:

🫡 Paladins keep winning and will make you feel like a heroic badass. Big Swords and Big smites are a match made in heaven.

I killed a deva and I'm using its mace hahaha

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Docjowles posted:

Yeah I also found that for NPCs that are generic flavor filler, the game sometimes just doesn't care at all. Like in act 3 some lady was being an rear end in a top hat taunting beggars so I quicksaved then had Karlach throw her off a loving bridge to her death directly in front of some guards. Nothing happened :lol:

That might be a Larian / Engine thing. Prior patches have had issues due to tracking crimes. The biggest culprit being act 3 grinding to a halt because the game was constantly keeping track of every single theft you ever made instead of forgetting about it after the cooldown.

There was also a patch that specifically made it so people wouldn’t accuse you of crimes while falling into a pit. And the patch that made it so you can 100% shove allies also made it so fog cloud* counts as a crime.

The conclusion Dexterity Discrimination :argh:

*there’s more specifics to this before you hit me with the “well actually”

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Because of the way the game works, any crime that triggers an "ooooh you were naughty-naughty" cutscene interrupts the trajectory of projectiles and items wherever they are thrown. As you might expect this caused a whole bunch of issues with items disappearing and becoming unrecoverable if NPCs were thrown off cliffs, not to mention looking rather ridiculous, so Larian later disabled these cutscenes from happening, with the upshot being that defenestration is a tragically underreported offense in Faerun.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Docjowles posted:

In my last play through I must have killed about 100 Flaming Fist and nobody gave a poo poo. Like, generic NPCs will run away when combat starts but casually stroll back afterwards like nothing happened.

Then they get pissy when I try and loot bodies.

Also I found that picking up and dropping bodies is a great way to get the guards called on you.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

grack posted:

In my last play through I must have killed about 100 Flaming Fist

w ... why

although this made me realize i'm really missing a BG2 style escalating encounters from fighting the guards. always loved that.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

Zodium posted:

w ... why

although this made me realize i'm really missing a BG2 style escalating encounters from fighting the guards. always loved that.

Honestly you fail a few rolls lazy lock picking (aka I cannot be arsed to get Astarion) etc and it’s carnage pretty quickly if you don’t feel like being arrested or taking a bribe. Also I hate the ones you see shaking down refugees. Only one I’ve saved was the Constable in the clothes shop. I figured if I wasn’t going to kill the hollyphant she certainly didn’t deserve death either as someone that was actively giving a poo poo.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
My funniest crime story is that if you pick the wrong potion off the table after the big Independence Day speech at the very end of the game, everyone in the room will go apeshit and attack, even Shadowheart and Astarion if they're not in your party. Bitch do you want me to save the city or not.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

mycot posted:

My funniest crime story is that if you pick the wrong potion off the table after the big Independence Day speech at the very end of the game, everyone in the room will go apeshit and attack, even Shadowheart and Astarion if they're not in your party. Bitch do you want me to save the city or not.
Stealing things doesn't give you that sweet, sweet experience to help you level up and get Alert. Unless it's stealing clown body parts, of course.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

the flaming fists are mercenaries that answer to the highest bidder. gently caress em. In the face of corruption, armed resistance is the only answer!

I'm glad this game doesn't have a reputation thing like old games did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

ClydeFrog posted:

Honestly you fail a few rolls lazy lock picking (aka I cannot be arsed to get Astarion) etc and it’s carnage pretty quickly if you don’t feel like being arrested or taking a bribe. Also I hate the ones you see shaking down refugees. Only one I’ve saved was the Constable in the clothes shop. I figured if I wasn’t going to kill the hollyphant she certainly didn’t deserve death either as someone that was actively giving a poo poo.

Yeah I wanted to go to town on the crowd of chuds in Rivington yelling about refugees stealing all our jobs. That went less well for me.