Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Massive turnout.
When I clicked in the guy was talking out getting harassed for his investigative journalism.

https://twitter.com/RepMTG/status/1770146916510446005

Also, the right wing is going off on Obama today because he visited 10 Downing Street and how come he isnt happy with having a 3rd term that now he's running for a 4th term as president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

je1 healthcare posted:

See, I was lucky enough to never get into those books in the first place because my dad thought they promoted satanism. A decade later I opened up the first one and got halfway through because it seemed like a narcissistic fairy tale, just generic child wish fulfillment.

I'm not defending Rowling here but have you ever read any other young adult fiction? Because a lot of young adult fiction is exactly that and there's nothing inherently wrong with it

What we're criticizing here is all the "buried ledes" so to speak. I read all the books 20+ years ago and enjoyed them at face value because when I read pop fiction I'm not always trying to find hidden beliefs of the authors and also I was a lot younger and a lot dumber

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
All of the writing and plotting and story in the Harry Potter books is so wildly incoherent and incompetent I tend to think it's less her intentionally writing in all these facist things and more her being a terrible lovely writer who let all of her lovely beliefs leak in. At least in the early books. Later books I could see her starting to try to justify poo poo even though the plotting writing and everything was still juvenile as hell

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I don't think J.K. Rowling had any particularly strong political beliefs (or at least conscious ones) when she was writing the books originally, which is part of why they're dogshit.

Of course, she's picked up a few in the years since then. Hoo boy has she ever.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I don't think J.K. Rowling had any particularly strong political beliefs (or at least conscious ones) when she was writing the books originally, which is part of why they're dogshit.

Of course, she's picked up a few in the years since then. Hoo boy has she ever.

I think she, of course, had beliefs, she just wasn't particularly aware of what her beliefs were.

I mean, she wrote a series of books where magic lets you conjure whatever you like out of thin air, and yet there was still poverty. That comes from somewhere, and I must say it's a terribly dark place.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

This was iterated in the Shaun video but yeah she has initial ideas, like recognizing inequalities in the worlds she made but decides it cant be any other way.

Harry, after all thats happened, decides to be a cop, supporting the system that failed extremely hard and Dobby is actually a wierdo for not wanting to be a Slave.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Just struggling to conceive of a better world within the fiction of the Harry Potter universe doesn't necessarily make someone bad. There's an argument to be made that it's emblematic of the intellectual rot at the heart of British culture that their defining fantasy work just inherently accepts classism. It's a failure of imagination and if that's your issue go read Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.

It's when she started to actively pushing back against the trans movement, many of whom were huge fans of the Harry Potter books, and started the slippery slope to Holocaust Denier that it became bad.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PT6A posted:

I think she, of course, had beliefs, she just wasn't particularly aware of what her beliefs were.

Yeah, that's more or less what I meant to say.

quote:

I mean, she wrote a series of books where magic lets you conjure whatever you like out of thin air, and yet there was still poverty. That comes from somewhere, and I must say it's a terribly dark place.

J.K. Rowling sucks rear end infinitely but creators not thinking through the full ramifications of their story beats is amazingly, frustratingly common in fantasy and sci-fi media. It doesn't necessarily come from terribly dark places in their psyches.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

PT6A posted:

I dunno, I think that's more lack of imagination on her part. I don't think there's anything behind that plot hole at all, just lovely writing and plotting.

Like I said, I can see things crystalizing for her a bit more as the series wore on and she started trying to justify or work her way around the gigantic plot holes and in the process incorporating a lot of her lovely ideas but initially I think she was writing whatever thought popped into her head and moving on and not having any consistent or coherent view of how the world she was creating worked

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/aterkel/status/1770178003969941933

Lara Trump is now a good pick since she threw this weirdo under the bus right off the bat.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Morrow posted:

There's an argument to be made that it's emblematic of the intellectual rot at the heart of British culture that their defining fantasy work just inherently accepts classism.
Did you just call Harry Potter Britain's "defining fantasy work?"

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Dr. Faustus posted:

Did you just call Harry Potter Britain's "defining fantasy work?"

I mean as much as the fascists today like to try and co-opt Tolkien, I think that in terms of direct influence, Potter has probably had more influence on people - and especially their politics - than The Lord of the Rings if we are limiting things to like the last 30-40 years. Tolkien's stuff has still had enormous influence, yes, but the lion's share of it was indirect through its influence on the fantasy genre as a whole rather than directly.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Morrow posted:

Just struggling to conceive of a better world within the fiction of the Harry Potter universe doesn't necessarily make someone bad. There's an argument to be made that it's emblematic of the intellectual rot at the heart of British culture that their defining fantasy work just inherently accepts classism. It's a failure of imagination and if that's your issue go read Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.

Is that the one written by the far-right influancer from LessWrong? Sarkkan of I Can't Be Assed To Actually Look This Up?

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I mean as much as the fascists today like to try and co-opt Tolkien, I think that in terms of direct influence, Potter has probably had more influence on people - and especially their politics - than The Lord of the Rings if we are limiting things to like the last 30-40 years. Tolkien's stuff has still had enormous influence, yes, but the lion's share of it was indirect through its influence on the fantasy genre as a whole rather than directly.

:chloe:

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I'll do a post-hoc rationalization that I forgot Lord of the Rings was British because it's not steeped in British culture like Harry Potter is: it's set in a fantasy world while Hogwarts is a British school populated by British people.

But I'll strengthen my argument by conceding that it's post-Thatcher/Modern Britain's defining fantasy work.

Neito posted:

Is that the one written by the far-right influancer from LessWrong? Sarkkan of I Can't Be Assed To Actually Look This Up?

I haven't read it in like a decade so I wouldn't be surprised if the author has been milkshake ducked.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Neito posted:

I'm not sure I'd call Eliezer Yudkowski a "far-right influencer", but it's the same guy that did the whole freakout about Roko's Basilisk.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Morrow posted:

It's when she started to actively pushing back against the trans movement, many of whom were huge fans of the Harry Potter books, and started the slippery slope to Holocaust Denier that it became bad.

That's what I always figured, and I never got why people criticized Harry's decision to become a cop. Of course he's going to work within the existing, rotten system. He's British! It's fantastic verisimilitude that even wizards have an existing cultural context that shapes what ideas are acceptable.

Criticizing a work because not every character within it acts like a perfectly enlightened altruist is a route to only accepting bland, preachy stories.

Edit: that being said, I don't think Rowling takes advantage of this. It would be pretty fascinating to read Harry Potter and the Leftist Goblin Revolt (even if I don't think she could handle it).

William Bear fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 19, 2024

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm not defending Rowling here but have you ever read any other young adult fiction? Because a lot of young adult fiction is exactly that and there's nothing inherently wrong with it

Not really, the things I read for fun at that age were classic science fiction, newsstand magazines, and somethingawful dot com

Browsing YA books by the time I was in college got kind of boring because I noticed the consistent theme of the protagonist being the hero by sole virtue of existing, they're born special and send ripples throughout the universe without having to really consciously do anything. Things just happen to them, they don't have to make any challenging decisions (standing up for your friends doesn't count), and at best the writing can make it seem like they kinda sorta did something bold and heroic even when it's something most people would do in the same situation. They're often immersed in a fantastical world that's beyond their control or full comprehension and come out on top due to their identity. Identity trumps all

I understand why that would appeal to kids and young adults, I'm not knocking it because they clearly entertain a ton of people and that's all any book really needs to do. I assume they parallel the readers' life situations, young people also live in a world that feels beyond their control or comprehension, existing under the yoke of arbitrary rules-based systems. And despite being relatively small and powerless, they (hopefully) derive self-esteem from being told they're special and they will some day do great things by sole virtue of being themselves. As a youth, your identity is really all you have and if you're fortunate you have people that love you unconditionally for existing.

But I could also be wildly off the mark here, as I'm generalizing based off my impression of like 2 and a half YA novels. I'm sure people can post counter-examples. Like what you like, if you can see things from the perspective of a child again then consider yourself blessed

In the 2000s most of my exposure to Harry Potter came from reading news and entertainment articles about the franchise, the fandom, the publishing machine behind it and the nonstop film productions (thanks Entertainment Weekly). My dad hated it, but he was also weirdly aloof and kind of random when it came to his hangups which seemed like baggage from his catholic upbringing. But from an outside perspective that was Rowling's controversial stance of the decade- promoting witchcraft as a Cool Thing for Kids and supporting gay marriage

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I think this is definitely in "Citation needed" territory. I'm sure it's more popular among Millennials, but I don't think it was as big of a hit with GenX or older, and now a lot of Zoomers are turning away from it. I'm not sure how you're arriving at it affecting people's politics, - I see a lot of shallow personality quiz stuff referencing it, but Millennials don't appear to be more anti-trans, anti-semetic, anit-fat, or supportive of slavery than GenX, Boomers, or older generations who didn't get into HP. Can you at least articulate what politics you think it's promoting and influencing people towards?

poop device
Mar 6, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Elephant Ambush posted:

What we're criticizing here is all the "buried ledes" so to speak. I read all the books 20+ years ago and enjoyed them at face value because when I read pop fiction I'm not always trying to find hidden beliefs of the authors and also I was a lot younger and a lot dumber

I think this is an area where, once again, K.A. Applegate's Animorphs series really shines as a counter-example to the typical YA experience. Better, more engaging content is out here. New YA fiction seems to be targeted towards adults with more limited media literacy, unfortunately.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

je1 healthcare posted:

Browsing YA books by the time I was in college got kind of boring because I noticed the consistent theme of the protagonist being the hero by sole virtue of existing, they're born special and send ripples throughout the universe without having to really consciously do anything. Things just happen to them, they don't have to make any challenging decisions (standing up for your friends doesn't count), and at best the writing can make it seem like they kinda sorta did something bold and heroic even when it's something most people would do in the same situation. They're often immersed in a fantastical world that's beyond their control or full comprehension and come out on top due to their identity. Identity trumps all

The year is 2030 and Harry Potter has been reimagined as a simulpublished webtoon / light novel, "I Was Adopted By A Magical Boarding School And Won The Lottery, Now I Can't Stop Beating The King Of Evil"

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

I think this is definitely in "Citation needed" territory. I'm sure it's more popular among Millennials, but I don't think it was as big of a hit with GenX or older, and now a lot of Zoomers are turning away from it. I'm not sure how you're arriving at it affecting people's politics, - I see a lot of shallow personality quiz stuff referencing it, but Millennials don't appear to be more anti-trans, anti-semetic, anit-fat, or supportive of slavery than GenX, Boomers, or older generations who didn't get into HP. Can you at least articulate what politics you think it's promoting and influencing people towards?

Did you not see the deluge of liberals making "Trump is just like Voldemort!" comments for the last decade? Like I feel like Harry Potter Liberal was a term we more or les used on these very forums. Yeah, a lot of older generations had Tolkien as an influence, but I don't think he was as big an influence on Gen X overall the way Potter was on Millennials. Like yeah, they don't follow Rowling, but they definitely have the milquetoast centrist liberalism of the books reinforcing their own beliefs. And they dream about going to Hogwarts.

LotR had a bigger impact among those most impacted by it, if we're talking depth, but in terms of overall breadth of influence, I don't think any fantasy property besides maybe Twilight can begin to approach what Potter has had over the last ~50 years.

EDIT: And, to clarify because I am being tired and may not be entirely clear, I mean in terms of *direct* influence as in direct from the text/film to the audience. Yes, LOTR still has a broader impact by virtue of being the bedrock on which basically all modern fantasy and it tropes is based, but I don't think as many people in the last 50 years have been directly impacted by reading or seeing the books/films as they have with the Potter books/films. LOTR's influence these days is more one or more steps removed from the source.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

OK, this is driving me nuts so I have to finally ask someone: what the gently caress does this smiley mean? I see it used all the time and maybe I'm just a dumbass but I've never even been able to figure it out by context.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Elephant Ambush posted:

I mean, I don't know about that as an accurate critique of YA fiction as a whole. One series that made a similar cultural splash was The Hunger Games, and it at least raised some interesting questions about our society as well as a hypothetical society depicted in the books, even if it suffered from similar problems from time to time. Perhaps if people read and referenced that, instead of HP, we'd have a common agreement in western society that bombing hospitals to "kill terrorists" is Bad, for example.

HP is interesting in that it doesn't really ask the reader to consider any nuanced moral questions. The Bad Guys Are Bad, the Good Guys Are Good. The lack of moral ambiguity helps to characterize it as an aesthetically fascist work.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

...! posted:

OK, this is driving me nuts so I have to finally ask someone: what the gently caress does this smiley mean? I see it used all the time and maybe I'm just a dumbass but I've never even been able to figure it out by context.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side_Eyeing_Chloe

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I mean it's very well documented that people who were kids when Harry Potter came out are less conservative than their parents, so if the Harry Potter books are propaganda that makes you fascist or whatever they did a terrible job of it.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

...! posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side_Eyeing_Chloe

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Did you not see the deluge of liberals making "Trump is just like Voldemort!" comments for the last decade?

I think this is a symptom of being terminally online.

No I've literally never heard that comparison in real life, at least not in a serious way. Even in a joking way I'm not sure I ever heard it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

J.K. Rowling sucks rear end infinitely but creators not thinking through the full ramifications of their story beats is amazingly, frustratingly common in fantasy and sci-fi media. It doesn't necessarily come from terribly dark places in their psyches.

True, but in some Alice in Wonderland type whimsical fantasy media thinking through the full ramifications of the setting and plot would be a bit um, pointless, as often the lack of coherence is intentional. Something like the Labyrinth, why do all the fantasy creatures turn up in the girls room a the end to have a party, who knows, whatever, fun way to end the film.

This doesn't apply to something like Harry Potter though, as actions in it are shown to have consequences and while it has elements of whimsy the setting is meant to follow consistent rules.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Thanks!

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Neito posted:

eliezer yudkowski isn't someone i'd call a 'far right influencer,' but in him is the blueprint for how "rationalist" communities slowly transform into radical environments peppered with a handful of secretly batshit founding clauses accepted as unshakeable axiom

with no real education to speak of in machine learning (and the essential strength of pouring out pages upon pages upon pages of rationalization on a constant basis to extoll your normal as highest truth above partisanship), he managed to ever get taken seriously in various fields that held him in mental obsession, including: cryonic life preservation, rationalist thought, and AI is going to kill us all

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think this is a symptom of being terminally online.

No I've literally never heard that comparison in real life, at least not in a serious way. Even in a joking way I'm not sure I ever heard it.

I have. And also like, those online posts are made by people, you know. If a great number of twitter accounts seem to relate their political views through Harry Potter metaphors, don't you think that says something?

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

Bored? Need something to read while camping Time-Lost Protodrake?

www.vicfanfic.com

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

Hi, it's me, the Gen X fantasy reader who loved Harry Potter when it was current and made sure to read the later books as soon as they were published. I've read plenty of both young adult and adult fantasy, and the Harry Potter series was expressly crafted to "age with the audience" - the books get not only longer, but also more complex, serious, and violent as the series progresses.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Harry Potter movies were popular across generations, since they did really well "both financially and critically" according to Wikipedia. I assume that level of success means a lot of adults were watching them, and not just parents bringing their kids to the theater or buying DVDs for the kids.

I also read The Casual Vacancy, Rowling's novel for adults about a political conflict between conservative suburbanites and their impoverished neighbors living in government-assisted housing - there are multiple concurrent subplots as well.

I was genuinely surprised to learn about Rowling's transphobic views, somewhere in the mid 2010's. She kept doubling down on those views no matter who tried to reason with her. I gave up on reading anything else she wrote. That turned out to be a blessing. I've browsed Wikipedia summaries of "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child" (technically she didn't write it, she just oversaw it) and "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" (I don't know her role in this and can't be bothered to care). I dodged reading/watching some gag-inducing schlock.

Anyway, I listened to the entire Shaun Youtube podcast and HOLY poo poo there is so much in the books that I never thought too much about back when I read Harry Potter (as an adult!)

poo poo about slavery (the house elves) and lack of consequences (almost every Slytherin either supports Voldemort or flees the final battle, but the House Slytherin is never dissolved or reformed) I dimly remember.

What Shaun's podcast really drives home is that in Harry Potter, no one (except maybe Hermione's pushback against house elf slavery, and that's played for laughs before eventually being dropped) stops to think "This system is corrupt and systemic reform is needed."

Dumbledore once says something like "the wizarding world has mistreated other fantastic races and now they might join Voldemort" but that tiny plot thread never goes anywhere.

The Aurors do godawful things like employ mind-torturing, soul-stealing dementors and are never held accountable for it.

Voldemort leads a fascist movement that slaughters anyone he doesn't like, but this is seen as an individualist problem solved by defeating Voldemort, not a systemic one that allows absolute power to corrupt his many followers absolutely.

Shaun points out that this comes from J.K. Rowling's neoliberal philosophy that problems can only have individual solutions, not systemic or governmental solutions, and government reform or changes to the status quo are never worth considering. All that matters is defeating the bad guys and replacing them with good guys.

A similar thing happens in The Casual Vacancy - poo poo gets really bad in the book, and when it's all over, the only ray of hope that anything might turn around is a few people's decisions to change how they live their lives. Again, there are individual efforts to make the suburb a better place, but no real consequences for bad actors, and no questioning whether the system is flawed or how the government should do anything better, despite a social worker's horrendous incompetence and the suffering caused by a monstrous criminal.

TLDR - listen to Shaun's podcast, it's really good, and it does a lot to explain the maybe-not-obvious-at-first-glance neoliberal leanings of J.K. Rowling's writing.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
The "read another book" meme exists for a very good reason

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I took up Creative writing as a hobby after reading The Casual Vacancy. If unmitigated slop like that was deemed fit to publish, then my chances are pretty good. (Yes, I know a writer in her position has no editors or restraints)There's nothing quite like an out of touch billionaire trying their hand at social commentary.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I took up Creative writing as a hobby after reading The Casual Vacancy. If unmitigated slop like that was deemed fit to publish, then my chances are pretty good. (Yes, I know a writer in her position has no editors or restraints)There's nothing quite like an out of touch billionaire trying their hand at social commentary.

In On Writing Stephen King recommends also reading bad books as "you might find yourself saying "I can write better than this. Hell, I AM writing better than this"

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Ambitious Spider posted:

In On Writing Stephen King recommends also reading bad books as "you might find yourself saying "I can write better than this. Hell, I AM writing better than this"

I remember reading that a while back. The blogger Ronan Wills, who previously covered Rothfuss, has it out for King. Namely the same tropes he keeps using, like the 35 year old writer protagonist who has the opinions of a 70 year-old, the twee cute talking kids, and the magical negroes and psychic disabled dudes.

https://www.ronanwills.com/ronans-blog/2019/5/15/how-to-write-a-stephen-king-novel
https://www.ronanwills.com/ronans-blog/2020/6/17/the-return-of-the-stephen-king-double-bill-salems-lot-and-bag-of-bones

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1770267586753708398

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

What does this even mean? Stand up to keep things as they are and don't dream of things getting better because that's actually a nightmare?

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
I thought the text of the tweet was a glib summarization of Scott's actual quote, and not... Scott's actual quote. :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sax Mortar posted:

What does this even mean? Stand up to keep things as they are and don't dream of things getting better because that's actually a nightmare?

It means he got a word wrong, utopia/dystopia.