Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

if they're going to scrap the entire reason for OW2 existing they might as well dial back to OW1's 6v6 teams so the game doesn't completely suck poo poo for no reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

DLC Inc posted:

if they're going to scrap the entire reason for OW2 existing they might as well dial back to OW1's 6v6 teams so the game doesn't completely suck poo poo for no reason

I think there were multiple reasons they got rid of a tank slot. Most PvP games are 5v5, it’s less of a headache to balance, individual players have more impact, supports have an easier time keeping four teammates alive, etc

Also, I don’t miss double barrier games at all

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

DLC Inc posted:

it will never happen because they have no idea how to fix the awful 8 minute queue times for non tanks in 6v6.

They will probably bring it in as a limited time mode though later on when player retention gets really dire

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

The reason why the second tank was scrapped was to make DPS stop whining about queue times, since they were too dumb to figure out any other way to fix that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what if they just made tank and healer actually fun to play

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

what if they just made tank and healer actually fun to play

You're asking too much.
Best they can do is to make tanks and supports into big and small dps.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I’m like level 79 in the battlepass but i haven’t bought it because lol there’s simply nothing in it i’d ever consider equipping.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

I think the Moira mythic is one of the better ones they’ve done. The voice effect reminds me of the “want some candy?” line in Predator 2.

Which reminds me - in the Cosmic Crisis event why is everyone already dressed in their corrupted Lovecraft skins when the ship crashes? Shouldn’t the skin swap only happen to the player who betrays the team?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Dick Jones posted:

Which reminds me - in the Cosmic Crisis event why is everyone already dressed in their corrupted Lovecraft skins when the ship crashes? Shouldn’t the skin swap only happen to the player who betrays the team?

I bet this was the plan but someone in marketing overruled them because they wanted the skins to be showcased.

New interview with Aaron Keller talking more about changes:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-blizzard-is-overhauling-overwatch-2-to-be-more-generous/1100-6521944/

Gamespot interview with Aaron Keller posted:

...do you know what the pricing model for that is going to look like or the price points? Will it be implemented similarly to Fortnite, where you have a limited time that these Mythic skins are available and they cycle out?

The Mythic shop, which launches in Season 10, is what's going to allow our players to have the choice to pick which Mythic skin they want to unlock or that they want to purchase. And the way that they buy a Mythic skin is through a currency called Mythic Prisms. And the best way to earn [Mythic Prisms] is in the premium battle pass. So as players work through the battle pass, they will be awarded Prisms. And if you get all the way through the battle pass, you'll have enough Prisms to unlock [a] Mythic skin and fully upgrade it, whether it's the newest Mythic skin for a Season 10 or some of our previous Mythic skins.

You will have the ability to purchase Mythic Prisms as well, but we think the best way to do it is through the battle pass. [As for] whether the skins would come directly to the Mythic shop, new skins will be released through the Mythic shop--that's where they'll make their debut--and they'll be available through that season. Then, they'll be pulled out of the shop for the next two seasons, reintroduced to it after that, and be permanently available. So when the Mythic shop launches in Season 10, you'll be able to get the Mythic skins from Seasons 1 through 7, as well as the newest Mythic skins.

You mentioned there would be greater player choice for Mythic skins. How is that going to play out?

The biggest thing with the Mythic shop is the ability to choose which Mythic skin you want to acquire, but there's even more player choice involved in it. Mythic skins will be broken up into the base skin as well as the different upgrades that you can purchase. And like I said before, if you work your way through the premium battle pass, you'll have enough currency to unlock the base skin as well as all of the upgrades for it. But you might not want to fully upgrade a Mythic skin. It might be that the last tier isn't as exciting for you as some of the upgrades for the other Mythic skins that you already have. And so as you get Mythic Prisms, you'll be able to kind of choose where you want to spend them. You can spread out upgrades to a bunch of the different Mythic skins you have or go all in on one that you're really excited about.

And those Prisms carry over from season to season?

Of course.

(...)

Are there any other changes coming to the game's battle passes you'd like to elaborate on?

Yeah, we're going to be pulling the coins that players can earn from our weekly challenges and putting them into the free version of the battle pass. We're also going to be increasing the number of coins that you can earn each season to 600.

The reason we're doing that is because we didn't think that players were earning enough coins in the weekly challenges and we want players to be able to consistently do that. We want the game to feel like it's rewarding people's play time. So when we looked at the data, we saw that they weren't earning enough, and putting them in the battle pass now is going to make it a more consistent experience for them. The intent is for it to be a more generous experience for them. And when you look at it, for a free battle pass, being able to earn 600 coins is actually a lot. Every two seasons, without ever paying for a battle pass, players will be able to earn a new one plus some additional coins.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

And here we go with the MMO levels of currency bloat.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Dick Jones posted:

Also, I don’t miss double barrier games at all

This is what you get for nerfing the greatest meta in overwatch history, GOATS.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

double barrier was good, goats was good, dive was good (best), rein/ana (speed nano) was good, fan hammer mcree was good, brig stun was good, overtuned moira was good. Everything else has been bad.

e: Brig whip shot mobility tech was also a contender for best.

headcase fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Mar 20, 2024

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

give Brig the ability to whip-shot the ground to boop herself

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

incredible that they're trying to talk up getting a free battle pass every TWO seasons when every other battle pass pays for itself if you complete the entire thing

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

give Brig the ability to whip-shot the ground to boop herself

There was a short period when the whip shot had so much momentum that if you were already moving forward when you whip shot, you get carried pretty similar to a moira fade.

She could reposition to high ground, jump on enemy supports and destroy them in an undying fury.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

Relyssa posted:

incredible that they're trying to talk up getting a free battle pass every TWO seasons when every other battle pass pays for itself if you complete the entire thing

It’s wild considering how terrible all the cosmetics are except the mythic skin. Conveniently, they still manage to put all the good skins in the store.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Lord Packinham posted:

It’s wild considering how terrible all the cosmetics are except the mythic skin. Conveniently, they still manage to put all the good skins in the store.

Even the mythic skins are declining in quality at a rapid pace. The last few have had nowhere near as many customization options as the earlier ones did. The Orisa one especially was egregiously bad, it just looked like a slightly fancier version of one of her base legendaries.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Relyssa posted:

Even the mythic skins are declining in quality at a rapid pace. The last few have had nowhere near as many customization options as the earlier ones did. The Orisa one especially was egregiously bad, it just looked like a slightly fancier version of one of her base legendaries.

The Moira one was good, though what would have pushed it to excellent would be to decouple the pattern/texture on the cloak from the colour choice.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Moira Mythic is great just because it lets her throw eyeball orbs.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I bet this was the plan but someone in marketing overruled them because they wanted the skins to be showcased.

New interview with Aaron Keller talking more about changes:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-blizzard-is-overhauling-overwatch-2-to-be-more-generous/1100-6521944/

Putting all that effort into trying to farm coins from whales instead of fixing the game and drawing players back, smdh

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

headcase posted:

Brig whip shot mobility tech was also a contender for best.

I don't know why they removed that tech, that tech was fun. They should add that back.

Wait, no they shouldn't; brig should have never been in the game to begin with. :shrug:

Sloppy posted:

Putting all that effort into trying to farm coins from whales instead of fixing the game and drawing players back, smdh

I genuinely think that the corporate mindset fueling OW2 at this point wouldn't give any number of fucks if OW2 were condemned to be "the biggest gaming blunder in the 2020s" or whatever, as long as they still were able to suck money from it. The profits are more important than the rep at this point, which practically has no meaning anymore. They'd just assume hook it up to a milking machine and do as little maintenance on it as possible.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
There's been a big buzz overnight because Jason Schreier has been teasing an article dropping this weekend about how Overwatch 2 is "struggling" because new players are bouncing off and not retaining at all, and hence not spending any money on the game.

I am deeply unsurprised. I literally yesterday wrote virtually an essay on the current state of the game in response to some discussion where people who no longer play were reminiscing about Overwatch 1 and wondering why the game was getting so much negative press currently.

I expressed that my expectations were basically player numbers were in decline because F2P players weren't sticking because the game is incredibly complex and gives them no guidance on what's expected and throws them into the general matchmaking pool, which degrades the experience for them and for more established players. Further, I think that the devs have no option but to do this because the player numbers are in sufficient decline that segregating skills more aggressively would blow out queue times to a level where that would also cause people to say screw it and bounce off the game immediately. I don't think there's an obvious solution to this problem.

I'm feeling a bit vindicated to have said this literally yesterday and found this commentary from Schreier (who's a pretty reputable journo) today.

I will add that the commentary from the devs yesterday mentioned "100 million Overwatch players". I laughed. Maybe 100 million total accounts created. A huge proportion of that is going to be smurf accounts - some people have 10, 15, hell one per character. But of the rest I wonder how many of those accounts are active players?

Because the Steam peak is currently at about 25K. And I've seen estimates that Steam represents maybe 20% of the active player base. Which implies 125K active players. Not a dead game but certainly not a huge one. Hell, if we're generous and double that to 250K active, you have to ask - how many of those people are spending enough money on skins and battle pass to justify the game's upkeep and ongoing development?

And now consider what fraction of that number would belong to e.g. the Australian pool, and it becomes clear that my long stated concerns about viable matchmaking and the fact that I'm seeing the same people over and over and over again really fall into perspective. Because it's entirely the case.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
"We've been monitoring our internal data closely, and proud to say that we are fairly certain that 100,000,000 people around the world are at least familiar in some capacity with Overwatch 2. This is the MOST number of people that have been familiar with the Overwatch brand throughout the almost one decade since the franchise was first unveiled, i've been told. "

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

600 coins per season on the free tier is a nice improvement. Like I said earlier in the thread, adjust the generosity dial to be more like Rocket League (just don't do what Epic did and kill a popular feature like player trading in favor of Fortnite cross compatibility).

As far as the lackluster retention rate, getting rid of the grind/pay wall for new heroes might help that a little. What would really help is having fun, replayable solo/co-op modes where new casuals won't have to worry about being yelled at by their tilted teammates. The hero mastery/gauntlet does an ok job of this. Too bad they just fired everyone who worked on those modes. Bringing back Archives as a year-round option would help too.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.
The Gauntlet is a fun game mode FYI if you guys like a High Score chase & are unaware it has a leaderboard & it's nested in the hero-mastery menu.

Got my highest so far today, NA. A lot of mistakes, top scores are at 120k+.

Edit: Also just want to say I really appreciate the design intent of The Gauntlet map/scenario. There's some clever positioning/strategy the design of the scenario hints at that might not be picked up on if you only give it one or two go's with one character/role halfheartedly. A-tier map &mode IMO. Hopefully it's not a swan song for PvE content. I still would have preferred story-based aesthetic trapping's a'la Retribution/Storm Rising/Uprising but the core of The Gauntlet is good. I have some criticisms but they're a bit boring and obvious enough to not bother typing out.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 21, 2024

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Flats just interviewed Aaron Keller.

EDIT: It's a fun interview, especially near the end where Flats starts slagging off Dorado and Keller reveals that was one of his maps

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Mar 22, 2024

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
I genuinely like Flats as an online personality, and Aaron Keller seems pretty decent as devs go, but there wasn't really anything surprising here. It's positive as a gesture for what the devs are trying to do lately, at least. I just don't know if the ship can be turned at this point.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

SadisTech posted:

There's been a big buzz overnight because Jason Schreier has been teasing an article dropping this weekend about how Overwatch 2 is "struggling" because new players are bouncing off and not retaining at all, and hence not spending any money on the game.

If you want a laugh, go to the comp overwatch subreddit and pick any of the "positive threads" where people just argue the game never had trouble.

Or one of them, where they post about getting tired of people randomly making GBS threads on overwatch for no reason and then the comments start making GBS threads on helldivers because I assume their friends stopped playing OW to play the new game.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm really thankful I have a core team of people I play with that only ever semi abandon me for stuff like Baldur's gate while I also abandon them to play ff7 rebirth. Like five stacking qp is its own little masochistic subgame in a way but I feel like I at least get better at the game being stomped by very good teams in casual

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I've been away from the game for a good long time, and dipping my toe in it it seems... fine? The battlepass is COD-esque, hero mastery scratches the 'number go up' itch, the gauntlet... well maybe it's more fun with humans cause the AI one seemed to just go on and on, QP and MH are inimitable and Mei-ing around in flashpoint is way more fun than running back to that loving robot again in push.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

dogstile posted:

If you want a laugh, go to the comp overwatch subreddit and pick any of the "positive threads" where people just argue the game never had trouble.

Or one of them, where they post about getting tired of people randomly making GBS threads on overwatch for no reason and then the comments start making GBS threads on helldivers because I assume their friends stopped playing OW to play the new game.

I'm actually really surprised by just how widespread the hate for Overwatch is now. Like you encounter it just randomly in general conversations. Look at this video talking about the recent Apex Legends hack - Overwatch just catches some random strays right after the time stamp here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1zxjGxpnqA&t=4774s

It's just the common sentiment and I don't know how the devs can overcome that. It would rival the Easter myth for them to pull it off.

E: transcript to save you time:

Apex pro: "I played Overwatch before, you guys know the Overwatch story. Overwatch is complete utterly bad now."
Host: "I know, it's sad. I stopped playing."
And then shortly afterward:
Host: "It sounds like you're grieving for a game that you know is dead. And I understand that feeling. Like 100%. Like a lot of people felt that way when Overwatch 2 kinda poo poo the bed. And I felt that way cause I was there when we were working on Overwatch 1, and I did a bunch of security stuff for Overwatch 1 before we launched, and it's an awesome game. And I hate where Overwatch 2 is today. So I get it. I super get it."
Apex pro: "It's SO bad."

SadisTech fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 22, 2024

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

SadisTech posted:

It's just the common sentiment and I don't know how the devs can overcome that. It would rival the Easter myth for them to pull it off.

I think they just need to work through it. Keep regular updates, don't make any bombastic claims, try and make the game better. It'll never be as popular as the first one was on release, but we may end up with something fairly good and consistent.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

SadisTech posted:

I'm actually really surprised by just how widespread the hate for Overwatch is now. Like you encounter it just randomly in general conversations. Look at this video talking about the recent Apex Legends hack - Overwatch just catches some random strays right after the time stamp here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1zxjGxpnqA&t=4774s

E: transcript to save you time:

Apex pro: "I played Overwatch before, you guys know the Overwatch story. Overwatch is complete utterly bad now."
Host: "I know, it's sad. I stopped playing."
And then shortly afterward:
Host: "It sounds like you're grieving for a game that you know is dead. And I understand that feeling. Like 100%. Like a lot of people felt that way when Overwatch 2 kinda poo poo the bed. And I felt that way cause I was there when we were working on Overwatch 1, and I did a bunch of security stuff for Overwatch 1 before we launched, and it's an awesome game. And I hate where Overwatch 2 is today. So I get it. I super get it."
Apex pro: "It's SO bad."

It's a testament to how good OW1 was though. That's why it comes up everywhere, people really wanted the game to be good and it was a gigantic disappointment when they fumbled it.

So whenever people think about something mismanaged, they go to the big thing that they remember and for a lot of the world, its OW.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I think they just need to work through it. Keep regular updates, don't make any bombastic claims, try and make the game better. It'll never be as popular as the first one was on release, but we may end up with something fairly good and consistent.

I mean all they had to do was stay the course with OW2, release new maps / characters occasionally, graphicals and QOL updates etc... Instead they nuked OW1 while loving with tons of stuff that didn't need fixed, released a bunch of poo poo maps while taking fun maps out of rotation, and then added a bunch of GAAS bullshit on top. Nobody would care except OW1 was so great and it's gone.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The solution to goats was pharmacy and brig, the solution to brig was pharmacy, the solution to pharmacy was... um... git gud.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
honestly blizz had the right idea with needing to rebrand the whole thing into ow2 to have any shot of getting the game back on track because ow is not just not-played, it's actively hated by, like, a fuckton of people. the combination of watching the game get neglected and mismanaged and the just insane, pervasive, unrestrained toxicity of the playerbase for years on end left an absolutely horrible taste in the mouths of most people who played it at one point or another. there's no question in my mind that rebranding it to ow2 was the only real shot they had at getting most people to give it another try... and then they fumbled that too. pve was the only other possible draw back into the overwatch universe anyone at all was holding out for and that, too, has been killed off

as an aside, i've heard pretty much that exact convo about ow occur more times than I can count

Sloppy posted:

I mean all they had to do was stay the course with OW2, release new maps / characters occasionally, graphicals and QOL updates etc... Instead they nuked OW1 while loving with tons of stuff that didn't need fixed, released a bunch of poo poo maps while taking fun maps out of rotation, and then added a bunch of GAAS bullshit on top. Nobody would care except OW1 was so great and it's gone.

yeah they could've just improved ow 1 and while the ship very much had sailed of its cultural relevance, if it got a reputation for being back in a good spot there were still a lot of people who enjoyed parts of ow that likely would've kept coming back. instead they fully ended OW1 and basically boned all the people who actually had enjoyed the direction ow1 had gone for the last several years before the ow2 overhaul and launch

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 22, 2024

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Herstory Begins Now posted:

honestly blizz had the right idea with needing to rebrand the whole thing into ow2 to have any shot of getting the game back on track because ow is not just not-played, it's actively hated by, like, a fuckton of people. the combination of watching the game get neglected and mismanaged

this is kind of a self-fulfilling thing, because the whole reason ow1 was neglected was a bunch of senior people in the overwatch division had a massive chip on their shoulder about not being "mmo devs" the way their buddies on the wow team were, so they spent literal years fantasizing about an fps mmo instead of actually working on the game that they had

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

OW1 was neglected because Kotick had OW1 team work on a bunch of side-projects that were getting continuously canceled.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

It's a small change but it does seem they're walking back some of the worst of the monetisation with the changes to the battlepass next season. if they dropped skin prices in general that would also help, but that seems unlikely if they're having issues with player retention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
It’s too late, like the new patch is better but I still just don’t like 5v5, and out of my group, maybe one other person even plays OW2, the rest said, “gently caress blizzard” after cancelling the PVE.

It still seems like it has a decent player base but so did HotS and they murdered that so I don’t know what they can do because HotS had full support until it didn’t.