Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

GreatGreen posted:

Can we stop the "well if you don't like it, you can leave it" sentiment please? This is a discussion forum where we talk about video games. I'm voicing some concern over issues I could potentially see appearing down the road given the limited info we have. Maybe I'm completely wrong about all of it, maybe I'm not.

I'm going to buy the game because it looks awesome, and it probably will be awesome overall, but that doesn't mean every single thing in the game is going to be 100% perfect, masterful design. In fact part of the reason the first game was charming was because it was so janky and weird about so many things. But I think there's a fine line between good janky and bad janky, and I just like talking about it, even if some of that talk isn't lavish praise, and seeing what other people think. And that's ok.

You haven't played the game yet and you sound like you want to speak to capcoms manager lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

Can we stop the "well if you don't like it, you can leave it" sentiment please? This is a discussion forum where we talk about video games. I'm voicing some concern over issues I could potentially see appearing down the road given the limited info we have. Maybe I'm completely wrong about all of it, maybe I'm not.

I'm going to buy the game because it looks awesome, and it probably will be awesome overall, but that doesn't mean every single thing in the game is going to be 100% perfect, masterful design. In fact part of the reason the first game was charming was because it was so janky and weird about so many things. But I think there's a fine line between good janky and bad janky, and I just like talking about it, even if some of that talk isn't lavish praise, and seeing what other people think. And that's ok.

Youre just whinging to whinge. stfu

e:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Phlegmish posted:

There are no options for things like earrings in the character creator, right? I assume maybe they'll be wearable items you can find in-game.

No, at least in the pre-launch version. You've got scars and tattoos as options but no articles of clothing (other than viewing what your character looks like in the starting gear for the four base vocations).

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Phlegmish posted:

Same. I want it to be like the first game where you enter a temple or something, they comment on how it's a sacred place we should treat with reverence, before immediately grabbing and smashing every urn, vase, pot, or crate they can find in search of loot

You smash things yourself? That's what the pawn is for.

Throwing them at the pottery I mean.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I demand to speak to Capcom's manager, to thank him

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Have any of the streamers talked about the keyboard controls? When I booted up the character creator the game was like "WOW YOU BEST PLUG IN A GAMEPAD" but on the steam page it says mostly playable and might require a keyboard.

having played a significant number of 'mostly playable with gamepad but might require a keyboard' the game is telling you that you can type your character name in on a keyboard and its fine w/ gamepad (can't comment on playing with kb/m, dd1 feels way better on a gamepad and i assume this one will too, plus im getting old and a gamepad is easier on my hands)

Sloober fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 20, 2024

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Spend the $60 and just get a controller already.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 20, 2024

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
At this point there have to be what, like 5 idiots at most who insist that they play everything with mouse and keyboard including poo poo like dark souls and DMC? Real sickos

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I cannot stop tweaking my main character + pawn at the last minute. Please help me decide on an appealing haircut for my pawn, I'm bad at this sort of thing. Most types of bangs are supposed to bring out striking eyes (and everyone loves Shadowheart's bangs and would never say anything bad about them obviously), so I want that to be a part of it, but beyond that I'm having trouble settling on a specific cut. Tell me which of these three you prefer:

1)

This is the one I have right now. I do like how voluminous it is, but I'm not sure about the way the lower part starts curling upwards. The whole thing seems slightly reminiscent of one of those retro sixties haircuts, which isn't necessarily the vibe I'm going for.

2)

Medium-length, mostly straight but slightly wavy. Not much to say about this one, but I don't consider that to be a bad thing, I often like straightforward simplicity.

3)

This one's very different in that there's a lot going on here - bangs, side bangs, and a braid. I like all the elements individually, but do they mesh well together?

I am playing the most difficult game of all, Fashion's Dogma, pls help

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Vintersorg posted:

Spent the $60 and just get a controller already.

Official Xbox controllers are less than $50 on Amazon and are the best PC controllers you can buy imo. There's other options cheaper than that too if you don't want to go whole hog.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nuebot posted:

You smash things yourself? That's what the pawn is for.

Yeah, that's what I meant, I don't remember if they only do this if they have the Scavenger inclination, but it was hilarious

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Can you sorta just stumble through DD1? I am playing through it on PS5 since its including in the middle tier and just sorta wacking my way through things. Missing lock on after being conditioned on it for so long.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

explosivo posted:

Official Xbox controllers are less than $50 on Amazon and are the best PC controllers you can buy imo. There's other options cheaper than that too if you don't want to go whole hog.

for a long time i went with a logitech f310 or whatever (yeah, the oceangate one) then i bought some official xbox anniversary controller for like 50 bucks and i dont think i want to go back to a playstation style one

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Phlegmish posted:

I cannot stop tweaking my main character
(...)

I like the second hairstyle the best of that bunch. It keeps the kind of fun messy look without being too retro feeling.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
The wind is pushing meeeeee

I can only hope dd2 has a stupid rear end intro like that, if not I’m modding into free back in

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Sloober posted:

having played a significant number of 'mostly playable with gamepad but might require a keyboard' the game is telling you that you can type your character name in

Yup, this is my experience too. The distinction between Mostly Playable as in "This game will pull up the virtual keyboard exactly once per new save and then will otherwise function to perfection." and Mostly Playable as in "This game is intended to be played like Nethack. Good luck, gamer." wasn't the clearest at first, since not having an in-game Final Fantasy style naming prompt is enough to deny a game the Plays Great green checkmark. :shrug:

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Phlegmish posted:

I cannot stop tweaking my main character + pawn at the last minute. Please help me decide on an appealing haircut for my pawn, I'm bad at this sort of thing. Most types of bangs are supposed to bring out striking eyes (and everyone loves Shadowheart's bangs and would never say anything bad about them obviously), so I want that to be a part of it, but beyond that I'm having trouble settling on a specific cut. Tell me which of these three you prefer:

1)

This is the one I have right now. I do like how voluminous it is, but I'm not sure about the way the lower part starts curling upwards. The whole thing seems slightly reminiscent of one of those retro sixties haircuts, which isn't necessarily the vibe I'm going for.

2)

Medium-length, mostly straight but slightly wavy. Not much to say about this one, but I don't consider that to be a bad thing, I often like straightforward simplicity.

3)

This one's very different in that there's a lot going on here - bangs, side bangs, and a braid. I like all the elements individually, but do they mesh well together?

I like number 2 personally.

I was playing around for about an hour last night in the creator, I'm pretty happy with how my characters turned out but I might fire it up and start tweaking them again.

Fashion's Dogma is the best game.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

https://opencritic.com/game/16051/dragons-dogma-2

neat

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

https://opencritic.com/game/16051/dragons-dogma-2

Currently sitting at a 91 on opencritic

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

explosivo posted:

I'm using one of those silly xbox elite gamepads. It's not in the best of condition and has some analog drift but it's held up well otherwise.

Vintersorg posted:

Can you sorta just stumble through DD1? I am playing through it on PS5 since its including in the middle tier and just sorta wacking my way through things. Missing lock on after being conditioned on it for so long.

Aside from missing a few obscure/tedious quests and minmaxy bullshit you can basically go through the first game blind and have pretty much no issues.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Just get an 8bitdo of some kind for a controller, can even get hall effect sticks on both the PS and Xbox style controllers for cheaper than any other option now.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Yeah the 8bitdo Ultimate 2.4g is the best Xbox style controller right now and has hall effect sticks.

I'm still considering playing primarily on kb/m, though.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

explosivo posted:

8bitdo ultimate controllers are basically cheaper xbox ones with better build quality so you won't get stick drift or bumpers that break after a year in exchange for a moderately poo poo dpad

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Looks like the reviews are out.

Just saw on this on PC performance
"Dragon's Dogma 2 currently has high demands on hardware, with the Steam Deck struggling to run at playable rates and even high-end machines of an RTX4090 paired with an AMD 5800X3D CPU can drop into the 30s whilst in the denser populated towns."

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

re: controller chat. I use M&K because I've been playing PC games for like 30+ years and never owned a console and do not have the muscle memory for controllers. it's not a money thing.

M&K works great for all sorts of FPS, RPGs, and so on. there's no reason it should not work well for this game unless the publisher absolutely does not give a poo poo. if DD1 played fine with M&K then DD2 should too.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ulio posted:

Looks like the reviews are out.

Just saw on this on PC performance
"Dragon's Dogma 2 currently has high demands on hardware, with the Steam Deck struggling to run at playable rates and even high-end machines of an RTX4090 paired with an AMD 5800X3D CPU can drop into the 30s whilst in the denser populated towns."

What site?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

The wind is pushing meeeeee

I can only hope dd2 has a stupid rear end intro like that, if not I’m modding into free back in

It does not sadly.

Game is really fuckin' good y'all.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Exactly what wanted to hear, from the Gamespot review

quote:

It’s not often that a cult classic gets the green light for a sequel, especially 12 years after the original game was released. Capcom hasn’t tried to make Dragon’s Dogma 2 more palatable to potentially attract a wider audience, either. It stuck to the first game’s core values and expanded upon them to create a bigger and better game that consistently delights in its approach to seamless exploration and the thrill of adventure. This means it feels very familiar in a lot of ways, but it’s a game for those who fell in love with the original, despite its flaws, and will hopefully find an entirely new audience who perhaps never gave the first game a chance. Even after 40 hours, my heart continues to grow fonder for this special game. It’s an exceptional achievement that’s quite unlike anything else, and I wouldn’t hesitate to place it amongst the pantheon of Capcom’s very best.

turn off the TV posted:

8bitdo ultimate controllers are basically cheaper xbox ones with better build quality so you won't get stick drift or bumpers that break after a year in exchange for a moderately poo poo dpad

I prefer the Xbox ergonomics to the Ultimate.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cancelling my pre-order.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

K8.0 posted:

Yeah the 8bitdo Ultimate 2.4g is the best Xbox style controller right now and has hall effect sticks.

I'm still considering playing primarily on kb/m, though.

Have they fixed the issue of allowing xinput over bluetooth? The last time I tried it a few months ago, it was being detected only as a Switch Pro controller over bluetooth when connected to my PC, so it was incompatible with some GamePass games because they require xbox controllers. It also turned off analog triggers when connected via bluetooth due to acting as a switch controller, which was annoying for some games. I liked the controller but had to return it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Man between this and Hell Divers 2 my PC is going to be struggling.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unironically DD2 is Dragon's Dogma 2. It could have been a direct sequel with no time in between aside from the obvious visual/performance stuff not possible previously. It is unashamedly not inspired by any modern trends or trying to ape Souls or Skyrim or whatever. It's weird, janky, frequently strange, genuinely thinks that wasting your time is a feature and not a flaw, and it's much better for it. I don't want to say it is dated because it isn't really that it's dated. It is just unashamed of not following the trends of other modern fantasy/ARPG stuff, sometimes in good ways and sometimes in annoying ways.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

IGN

Jack Trades posted:

Cancelling my pre-order.

DD1 had a metacritic of 75, I think this will be higher but imo lots of journos mistake what people like about this. Alot of the fans of the first love the weird unique poo poo. I don't think this is a sequel that is too different but that could still mean it's a great game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm-UG5j_LZ8

Also Cowboy who plays a lot of these games, said it's his first Action RPG since Elden Ring.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Pretty vague, but this is what Gamespot had to say about PC performance:

The most noticeable misstep derives from Dragon's Dogma 2's performance on PC. My current rig exceeds the recommended specifications (aside from the CPU), and the game generally runs at around 60fps using the game's "High" preset. Sometimes it dips into the 40s and drops even lower inside villages and cities, but it's certainly playable, if a little unstable. The problem is that this performance is consistent across all visual settings, which leads me to believe it's a matter of poor optimization. I could've used the performance bump from lowering shadow quality and the like, but doing so has no effect. Ideally, this will be rectified with a day-one patch and driver updates, but it's not ideal at the time of writing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Unironically DD2 is Dragon's Dogma 2. It could have been a direct sequel with no time in between aside from the obvious visual/performance stuff not possible previously. It is unashamedly not inspired by any modern trends or trying to ape Souls or Skyrim or whatever. It's weird, janky, frequently strange, genuinely thinks that wasting your time is a feature and not a flaw, and it's much better for it. I don't want to say it is dated because it isn't really that it's dated. It is just unashamed of not following the trends of other modern fantasy/ARPG stuff, sometimes in good ways and sometimes in annoying ways.

Would you say it has a lot of new ideas too, or is it mostly iterating on DD1?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Xbox controllers start drifting really really fast, last one I bought lasted barely a month or two before becoming drifting POS. One before them lasted a bit longer but always on a countdown.

Have had the new PlayStation controller for a year and still no drift issues. PS controllers have historically been painful to hold for long but their current version is like a normal controller.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

And there were a bunch of people jumping on me for pointing out that system requirements for PC are weirdly high.
I hate being proven right.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Would you say it has a lot of new ideas too, or is it mostly iterating on DD1?

It absolutely has new ideas and cool new things and a lot of improvements, but it's not transformative. It does feel a lot like Dragon's Dogma 1 at times which I am not calling a flaw by any means because that is what I think it should be.

But honestly just the huge open world feels amazing and the AI and reactivity creates some amazing situations. I had an ongoing rivalry with a loving gryphon who kept ambushing me while I was fighting other stuff and then flying away once it got hurt until I tracked its rear end down (it was still hurt from where I'd hurt it before) and put an end to it, and it wasn't a quest or anything, it was just generic gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

ImpAtom posted:

This is exactly what I wanted to hear.

Maaan this weekend is going to be awesome.