Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

DaysBefore posted:

TIL that 22 Minutes is still on the air

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

90's 22 minutes was a big part of my childhood, my grandfather had several "best of" tapes.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Randalor posted:

Let me guess, the political comedy show that makes fun of all the stupid poo poo politicians say, made fun of something stupid Milhouse said recently? if When PP gets into power, I'm looking forward to hearing about his daily crybaby meltdowns. Guy has skin so thin he needs to be quarantined into one of those human-sized hamster balls, just make it soundproof so wehe can't hear anything.

One of their cast went up to PP and told him that he is glad to meet and hopes he stays as member of the opposition for the rest of his life. Then PP just stumbled over his words. :lol:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7348093037484018949

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Shocking that a politician whose entire political party is based off of petty cultural grievances would be thin-skinned

Segue
May 23, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

The Newfies are up to something

Today they certainly are! I encourage people to watch the videos, they're wild.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/budget-day-protests-ffaw-fish-harvesters-1.7149383

CBC posted:

The Newfoundland and Labrador government has gone to the Supreme Court to seek an injunction against fish harvesters who swarmed Confederation Building on Wednesday as part of an ongoing protest over fishery regulations that has led to the postponement of the provincial budget. 

Video from the scene shows public servants struggling to get through the melee and get to work. At one point, Meghan McCabe, director of communications for Premier Andrew Furey, tried to get through the crowd but was pushed back by a pair of irate protesters hurling expletives.

"Get back. Don't be stupid," one yelled as McCabe walked backward away from them. 

The hundreds of protesters are fish harvesters and supporters, who have been lobbying government to open markets to outside buyers since early March.

As it stands, they can sell their catches only to buyers inside the province at a price agreed upon by the Fish, Food & Allied Workers union and the Association of Seafood Producers.

And apparently similar things might happen with the Saskatchewan budget today

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/teacher-protests-could-overshadow-saskatchewan-budget-release-1.2049283

Bloomberg posted:

Meanwhile, thousands of teachers plan to descend on the legislative building and demand the province negotiate on classroom sizes and other supports.

The Saskatchewan Teachers' Federation and the province have been at an impasse for months over whether those issues should be in the collective agreement.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Vintersorg posted:

One of their cast went up to PP and told him that he is glad to meet and hopes he stays as member of the opposition for the rest of his life. Then PP just stumbled over his words. :lol:

Okay, that was pretty funny :haw:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Wow, I'm impressed, I've never seen someone smart enough to step over the proverbial rake, before immediately jumping back onto it. Repeatedly. Just laugh, and take the good-natured ribbing, you thin-skinned baby.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Seems the fishermen are mad they can't sell their catch outside the province because of some deal the union and an industry group cooked up. Not particularly informed on FFAW but fishermen are mostly a) rural and b) poor which makes them chuds and therefore I wish the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary good luck in riding them down

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Vintersorg posted:

you know what good for them

also didn't know they were still on the air so hey that's nice

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

drat horror queefs posted:

Shocking that a politician whose entire political party is based off of petty cultural grievances would be thin-skinned

and by shocking you mean not surprising at all?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Jagmeet needs to go. what's Nikki Ashton doing these days

IIRC canpol tends to dislike her the most out of the other NDP leadership contenders

Not sure why, lame tweets probably

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Blood Boils posted:

IIRC canpol tends to dislike her the most out of the other NDP leadership contenders

i can't even remember who the other candidates were

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Oxyclean posted:

and by shocking you mean not surprising at all?

Yes

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Blood Boils posted:

She's in the top 10 least useless NDP MPs but not like near the top. She was not a very effective left candidate in either of her previous leadership runs, far too polite and deferential, too much graduate school not enough grassroots.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
not nearly enough GQ covers

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

If you haven't seen Chris Wilson do PP and JT on 22 Minutes you must seek some clips out.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mediaphage posted:

22 minutes is fine. also please keep filming it because it probably subsidizes a nontrivial number of people in nova scotia

Nathan Fielder got his start there, for example

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

DaysBefore posted:

Not particularly informed on FFAW but fishermen are mostly a) rural and b) poor which makes them chuds and therefore I wish the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary good luck in riding them down

White-collar-rear end post

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yup that's what I was going for. Congrats on your media literacy

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Normy posted:

If you haven't seen Chris Wilson do PP and JT on 22 Minutes you must seek some clips out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFKcrpqcCA4

It does make me a bit sad that there's a lot of PP supporters who do not see the irony in him being big mad about other people being tax payer funded.

but loving lmao over him stumbling over his words trying to come up with some kind of come back. Not that wit is the most important quality to govern, but man he comes off pathetic.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

DaysBefore posted:

TIL that 22 Minutes is still on the air

Even crazier, it's somehow maintained it's air farce level of quality, I watched a recent EP and was surprised how often it elicited a reasonable chuckle from my jaded bitter soul

Still tame AF in comparison to the Beaverton, and our current comedy king is The Dessert no question etc etc

But it's nice that there's still some political comedy for the whole family :canada:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

i can't even remember who the other candidates were

Angus & Caron

Singh came in first, then those 2, then Nikki (going off memory, not important enough to check)

It was a ranked ballot too

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Oxyclean posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFKcrpqcCA4

It does make me a bit sad that there's a lot of PP supporters who do not see the irony in him being big mad about other people being tax payer funded.

but loving lmao over him stumbling over his words trying to come up with some kind of come back. Not that wit is the most important quality to govern, but man he comes off pathetic.

what a loser lol PP is Pathetic

Trudeau may eviscerate him in debates but he’ll still win and then Canada will truly be the clown country

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

DaysBefore posted:

Seems the fishermen are mad they can't sell their catch outside the province because of some deal the union and an industry group cooked up. Not particularly informed on FFAW but fishermen are mostly a) rural and b) poor which makes them chuds and therefore I wish the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary good luck in riding them down

Classism is cool and good now?!

Also I'd bet those are operators, not fishermen. The protest is about how the boats currently are only able to sell to in province processors, at set prices, this ensures a stable fishery and keeps jobs in province. The owners want to sell overseas, as they will pay more for certain catches, and will take as much stock as possible. This is a maritime problem as old as time, it comes up whenever demand increases. Greedy shortsighted owners see a high price elsewhere and want to flood the market. If they do so, prices will collapse, and all the inland workers will be cut out of the deal and those plants will close. The end result is that everyone is poorer, and the economy is weaker, and the average landing is worth less than it is today.

These idiots don't understand that you want to slightly under supply the market when prices are high, even if it means selling in a controlled manner at slightly below market prices, it keeps prices high and ensures a more profitable venture.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzaZLiYcQxw

Almost ten years ago to the day and nothing has changed besides Rick's hair colour.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Virtual Russian posted:

Also I'd bet those are operators, not fishermen. The protest is about how the boats currently are only able to sell to in province processors, at set prices, this ensures a stable fishery and keeps jobs in province. The owners want to sell overseas, as they will pay more for certain catches, and will take as much stock as possible. This is a maritime problem as old as time, it comes up whenever demand increases. Greedy shortsighted owners see a high price elsewhere and want to flood the market. If they do so, prices will collapse, and all the inland workers will be cut out of the deal and those plants will close. The end result is that everyone is poorer, and the economy is weaker, and the average landing is worth less than it is today.

These idiots don't understand that you want to slightly under supply the market when prices are high, even if it means selling in a controlled manner at slightly below market prices, it keeps prices high and ensures a more profitable venture.

supply management? sounds like some commie bullshit to me

this is a joke, i am joking

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Are they still trying to make PP's image into this big strongman with bulging biceps? Because they're small as hell, and lmao @ that beer gut.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I can't believe DaysBefore wants to round up hardworking fishermen and women and hang them by their yellow pants on the ends of giant fishhooks at the tops of lampposts.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

Are they still trying to make PP's image into this big strongman with bulging biceps? Because they're small as hell, and lmao @ that beer gut.

idk, it's nice to finally be represented in media like this, and as a sex symbol no less

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Precambrian Video Games posted:

I can't believe DaysBefore wants to round up hardworking fishermen and women and hang them by their yellow pants on the ends of giant fishhooks at the tops of lampposts.

I can believe it

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

infernal machines posted:

supply management? sounds like some commie bullshit to me

this is a joke, i am joking

Which is insane, because the history of the maritimes is that a lack of supply management ended the most profitable and productive fishery. Like, you'd have to be willfully ignorant of history to not understand this stuff.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Precambrian Video Games posted:

I can believe it, because I want to do those things. The rural poor (chuds) should be killed

Virtual Russian posted:

Cool thanks for explaining, couldn't find anyone else detailing anything beyond the existence of the deal. In that case it makes complete sense that those boys were the fishing equivalent of middle managers lol. I was hesitant to believe them in the first place since the union was involved in making the deal but also so so so many unions are completely compromised that I wouldn't have been surprised

DaysBefore has issued a correction as of 20:37 on Mar 20, 2024

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Virtual Russian posted:

Like, you'd have to be willfully ignorant of history to not understand this stuff.

well, some exciting news on that front...

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

DaysBefore posted:

I can believe it, because I want to do those things. The rural poor (chuds) should be killed

Cool thanks for explaining, couldn't anyone else detailing anything beyond the existence of the deal. In that case it makes complete sense that those boys were the fishing equivalent of middle managers lol. I was hesitant to believe them in the first place since the union was involved in making the deal but also so so so many unions are completely compromised that I wouldn't have been surprised

To be clear I'm not well versed on the ins and outs of this particular protest, but I used to live in a tiny fishing village and am very familiar with this sort of scenario and the various actors. Boat owners often get called fishermen, and they do much to promote that working class image, but they are owners, not workers. Some captains are also owners though, so it isn't always clear-cut. It is similar to how the "truckers" in the convoy stuff were mostly small business tyrants and not actual truckers.

This deal is in place to protect everyone's income, from boat to cannery, but the owners always want more, and don't care if a short-term increase in profit leads to massive downturn for the rest, and also them, but later.

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

Which is insane, because the history of the maritimes is that a lack of supply management ended the most profitable and productive fishery. Like, you'd have to be willfully ignorant of history to not understand this stuff.

Average Canadian reads worse than a 12 year old and only learns from movies.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Virtual Russian posted:

To be clear I'm not well versed on the ins and outs of this particular protest, but I used to live in a tiny fishing village and am very familiar with this sort of scenario and the various actors. Boat owners often get called fishermen, and they do much to promote that working class image, but they are owners, not workers. Some captains are also owners though, so it isn't always clear-cut. It is similar to how the "truckers" in the convoy stuff were mostly small business tyrants and not actual truckers.

This deal is in place to protect everyone's income, from boat to cannery, but the owners always want more, and don't care if a short-term increase in profit leads to massive downturn for the rest, and also them, but later.

Lol that's fine it was an infinitely more informative description than anything the news is saying. I love learning things and being informed by people on the forums :siren: THIS IS NOT A JOKE :siren:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

infernal machines posted:

idk, it's nice to finally be represented in media like this, and as a sex symbol no less

Today during the tory caucus a bunch of conservatives were wearing PP branded hockey jerseys emblazoned with his name and the "Bring it Home" slogan.

I guess they couldn't afford any red hats after Josh Alexander bought out the supply.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Looks like about a week ago the fishermen's union - FFAW, a Unifor affiliate - sided with the protestors and now calls for a lift on all the restrictions. VR is completely right re: the historic lack of control devestating the Atlantic provinces so that's disappointing. And the Newfie gov is pressing ahead with the budget after getting the protestors injuncted anyway although I don't think the budget actually has anything to do with the in-province order

I did notice a fun fact in the injunction article where CBC quoted a John Efford Jr., who I'm pretty sure is the same John Efford Jr., son of a former Newfie Fishery minister, who was fined for illegally harvesting squid in 1999. Not relevant but lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Housefather not ruling out crossing the aisle to the conservatives. Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
housedaddy