Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Yep. There’s tons of other options out there but this is the gold standard atm.

It’s not the same thing, but if power progression and smart building choices are what you’re after, Slay The Spire offers those in droves. It’s less analogous to ARPGs both for obvious reasons—it’s a fuckin card game—and for the fact that you aren’t guaranteed exponential power bumps the way you would be in an ARPG. But it does tickle the brain in similar ways: synergies, big fuckoff numbers, clever use of interlocking mechanics to get a desired outcome, diversity of strategic approaches etc etc.

If you insist on the action focus, Dead cells is also pretty cool, though it’s a side scroller as opposed to Hades’s more familiar 3/4 perspective and suite of familiar power types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
rogue legacy 2 might be more your speed (after hades) if what draws you to diablo 4 is clean graphics and smooth controls

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Tonetta posted:

rogue legacy 2 might be more your speed (after hades) if what draws you to diablo 4 is clean graphics and smooth controls

Aw poo poo I forgot about that. Way better rec than Dead Cells for a Diablo liker. Also I need to play it more.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

unattended spaghetti posted:

I've tried PoE a few times but it never clicks. Part of it is a lack of accessibility options to help with the absolute load of text, part of it is my limited experience with the skills themselves is poor, part of it is the shitloads of systems and sub systems. It just doesn't really land for me.

Same thing with me, but I've been trying it again the last couple of weeks and for whatever reason I'm enjoying it this time. It's still confusing, but I'm slowly coming to grips with it. Trust me, if my dumb rear end can fumble my way through it (with some guides), anyone can. And if you totally screw up your character, the next league starts soon anyway.

This will be the first D4 season I don't complete the journey or the battle pass. Partly from burnout, but mostly because of the trophy / challenge progress bug. Hopefully a fix for that is also part of the season 4 update. I think I have enough Platinum from the other passes to buy the next one so it would be very easy to get me to jump back in. Let me make the numbers go up again, Blizzard.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
just started chuckling after remembering the reveal video for this season that hyped up the first STATIONARY BOSS as a feature

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

drat I'm getting some real nostalgia for launch D3 now, the difficulty + the RMAH made finding good items really fun

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

It was pretty bad

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Oh lol, I didnt jive with Hades because its too important that you dodge every possible source of damage or you're in for a hard time later.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
High level Hades play is compulsively dodging as often as possible, you get a pretty good rhythm going with dodges and interrupting weapon strike animations to do them faster that evades loads of damage so you can just watch out for a few killer cues and/or building tanky, you also unlock weapons that give you enormous breathers for kiting or blocking damage. You really don't have to be great at it.

t. full clear player and clumsy idiot

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Oh lol, I didnt jive with Hades because its too important that you dodge every possible source of damage or you're in for a hard time later.

You described like every good game. Do you like games?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
hades is just spam dodge key the game. try risk of rain returns/2 if u want something more focused on making urself overpowered to win.

Mikojan posted:

drat I'm getting some real nostalgia for launch D3 now, the difficulty + the RMAH made finding good items really fun

yup. making an insane lifesteal monk and pushing inferno act 4 was unironically the most fun i ever had with that game lol having an actual auction house for trade in an arpg was so good, the rm part was aids and they didnt need to kill the entire thing to fix it

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tonetta posted:

You described like every good game. Do you like games?
Obviously not, I'm posting in theD4 thread. Duh.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

hawowanlawow posted:

It was pretty bad

there were some dumb decisions but it was a ton of fun

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Stux posted:

hades is just spam dodge key the game. try risk of rain returns/2 if u want something more focused on making urself overpowered to win.

yup. making an insane lifesteal monk and pushing inferno act 4 was unironically the most fun i ever had with that game lol having an actual auction house for trade in an arpg was so good, the rm part was aids and they didnt need to kill the entire thing to fix it

Made a monk with 96% dodge chance and every time he dodged it procced a aoe firewall. Vanilla D3 ftw.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

hawowanlawow posted:

It was pretty bad

The bees. The bees that shot bees with bees in them

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
Itemization aside, please get rid of the Helltides/whispers grind. Or, disperse Uber uniques across more than one boss. Or get rid of Ubers altogether. Or add more to the endgame other than Uber chase for items you don't really need to do the hardest content the game currently offers.

I just don't want to do any more Helltides man. I honestly pity all of you who've played this game since launch and have done Helltides since the game released. What a loving lovely activity.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

American McGay posted:

Made a monk with 96% dodge chance and every time he dodged it procced a aoe firewall. Vanilla D3 ftw.

we have to retvrn

delightful posted:

Itemization aside, please get rid of the Helltides/whispers grind. Or, disperse Uber uniques across more than one boss. Or get rid of Ubers altogether. Or add more to the endgame other than Uber chase for items you don't really need to do the hardest content the game currently offers.

I just don't want to do any more Helltides man. I honestly pity all of you who've played this game since launch and have done Helltides since the game released. What a loving lovely activity.

yeah sucks rear end to do the activity where u just blow up huge packs of monsters. also absolutely they should delete the thing the game currently handles better than any of its competitors without question, especially when the end game has only existed for a few months and doesnt have the years of development it needs yet. you live in topsy turvy land.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
complaining about being able to target farm uniques.. now ive seen everything!!!

delightful
Jul 20, 2022

Stux posted:

we have to retvrn

yeah sucks rear end to do the activity where u just blow up huge packs of monsters. also absolutely they should delete the thing the game currently handles better than any of its competitors without question, especially when the end game has only existed for a few months and doesnt have the years of development it needs yet. you live in topsy turvy land.

Hell ya, love to blow up "huge packs of monsters" that aren't actually huge, or packs, or densely populated or blow up the packs that exist only to get 3-4 shards for 10 enemies killed. Helltides suck loving rear end. Grinding Helltides for like 30 hours to do 50 Duriel runs to get sweet gently caress all is great gameplay. You are right, thank you for letting me know I am wrong.

EDIT: So as not to just be negative here are some suggestions to make it better: Cellars and Dungeons in Helltides zones give loving cinders.

delightful fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 20, 2024

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
it is yes. glad i could help

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
if i can't charge from one pack to another indefinitely, it isn't dense

feller
Jul 5, 2006

cellars giving cinders does sound p sweet

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Taking a load screen in and out of a cellar does sounds a lot more fun than just blowing up a large pack of monsters in one juicy pop

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
If you somehow enjoy Helltides as-is, I'm happy for you, I just want some variety.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

delightful posted:

If you somehow enjoy Helltides as-is, I'm happy for you, I just want some variety.

Hey I'm on the same page. The game desperately needs some new endgame systems.

I just really think cellars should not be a candidate

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Helltides take the vast and diverse open world of Diablo IV, pretty much the main thing the game has going for it, and turn it into a dull monochromatic shard farm where you mindlessly dive bomb the same group of monsters over and over to eventually kill a bigger monster instead of getting loot, from the monsters you are killing, right now. Somehow the little throwaway TZs they put into D2R do a much better job at feeling like a rewarding activity in their own right while actually getting the player to visit locations outside of CS and WSK. Modern Blizzard is thoroughly infected with MMO Brain and thinks everybody wants different currencies they can spend 5 minutes in town combining for keys instead of seeing loot come out of the monster.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Helltide density isn't even as good as Blood Harvest. We know they can make higher density outdoor areas, they just choose not to. I assume this is because they have no interesting ideas for new seasons and need to keep "Helltide but good" in their back pocket

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tarnop posted:

Helltide density isn't even as good as Blood Harvest. We know they can make higher density outdoor areas, they just choose not to. I assume this is because they have no interesting ideas for new seasons and need to keep "Helltide but good" in their back pocket
"we cant have too many enemies on screen at one time or console players might suffer lower framerates"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I was going through a castle and a large elite and a bunch of his smaller buddies rampaged out of a door. After I smushed them I passed through the door and into a space only about the size of an elevator, so I'm beginning to understand why everything is this game is so hostile.

It also struck me how bad the Diablo game world must smell. Nothing but acres of blood and entrails slathered mud.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

exquisite tea posted:

Helltides take the vast and diverse open world of Diablo IV, pretty much the main thing the game has going for it, and turn it into a dull monochromatic shard farm where you mindlessly dive bomb the same group of monsters over and over to eventually kill a bigger monster instead of getting loot, from the monsters you are killing, right now. Somehow the little throwaway TZs they put into D2R do a much better job at feeling like a rewarding activity in their own right while actually getting the player to visit locations outside of CS and WSK. Modern Blizzard is thoroughly infected with MMO Brain and thinks everybody wants different currencies they can spend 5 minutes in town combining for keys instead of seeing loot come out of the monster.

uber keys come from d2, d2 also had a player economy based around using certain runes and items as currency, something so notable and widespread that it informed poes design. not really a modern blizz thing at all and a lot of blizz mmo stuff came from d2.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Dick Trauma posted:

It also struck me how bad the Diablo game world must smell. Nothing but acres of blood and entrails slathered mud.

It probably smells fine because it's all coated in that weird shiny translucent plastic

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Tarnop posted:

It probably smells fine because it's all coated in that weird shiny translucent plastic

I think it's called polish

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

hawowanlawow posted:

I think it's called polish

you're thinking of cdpr, blizzard is based in the US

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Well they did hire that one writer from CDPR who had the incredible idea to add sexual assault to everything.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kaysette posted:

you're thinking of cdpr, blizzard is based in the US
lmao

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I cant say I have tried any action roguelikes, what are some games that are considered in that bucket? I am interested in something to help pass the time between D4 seasons because I still really enjoy D4 despite the poo poo endgame and bad itemization that will probably be poorly fixed.

Roguelike:
Hades
Enter the Gungeon
Children of Mortal (more story and less game balance than above).
Vampire Survivors

Isometric action games:
Death's Door
Tunic
Transistor
Bastion

Easily recommend everything above. Tunic and Death's Door are trying to do a Soulslike Zelda thing to different degrees and generally I'd say Tunic has higher highs but is also too difficult at points to blanket recommend to everyone.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Tarnop posted:

Add in hell pots where 75 cinders gets you a bunch of waves followed by a commander. Box at the end has steel, souls, roses, etc.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Campfire chat in about 1.5 hrs. Major changes, this is the day Diablo comes back. For real this time.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MrMidnight posted:

Campfire chat in about 1.5 hrs. Major changes, this is the day Diablo comes back. For real this time.
I want to belie.... no, nope, cant do it. Its going to suck. Whether just bad or too grindy, but it'll suck.

MJBuddy posted:

Roguelike:
Hades
Enter the Gungeon
Children of Mortal (more story and less game balance than above).
Vampire Survivors

Isometric action games:
Death's Door
Tunic
Transistor
Bastion

Easily recommend everything above. Tunic and Death's Door are trying to do a Soulslike Zelda thing to different degrees and generally I'd say Tunic has higher highs but is also too difficult at points to blanket recommend to everyone.
I'll have to do some research on those, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Well they did hire that one writer from CDPR who had the incredible idea to add sexual assault to everything.
That cutscene near the start in the pub sure reads different if your character is female huh.