Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

He basically wants a game that's effectively real life but in space. That would take billions to develop and probably wouldn't be very fun. The whole Spectrum thing won't work because of youtube, discord, reddit etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
He is exactly the kind of person ideas and promises of a metaverse are meant to grift.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

pisshead posted:

He basically wants a game that's effectively real life but in space. That would take billions to develop and probably wouldn't be very fun. The whole Spectrum thing won't work because of youtube, discord, reddit etc.

Real life, but where he is the god king of space.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Ironslave posted:

He is exactly the kind of person ideas and promises of a metaverse are meant to grift.

The Future Is A Dead Space Mall

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

chadbear posted:

Germans do.

See the main difference here is that sim games either boil the simulation down to the actual fun parts, or go the full simulation route for a real life act. But trying to do a full simulation of a science fiction flyer has already been proven to not be fun several times over because it gets too complex (unless the point is to keep failing and failing over and over again for the fun of seeing your ship explode). And then they're going the extra route by adding things like fighting on foot, trying to balance that while making interacting with the world outside of ship and FPS combat equally complex and difficult to interact with.

Its like someone looked at the real life world and went "Hmmm, no this isn't complex enough, my giant brain needs more of a challenge." rather than the actual reason people play sim games.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

What is the rest of Spectrum like? It seems like all we ever see anymore is pisscat's ramblings. Who even is still around? What is the average Star Citizen backer even like now?

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I feel like it would be quite a bit more rewarding to follow his dreams in real life instead of in Star Citizen. Admittedly it's a fair bit more difficult and illegal to personally hunt down slavers in real life but you know, go explore your own city I say.

Missing Fox
Apr 19, 2015

evilmiera posted:

But trying to do a full simulation of a science fiction flyer has already been proven to not be fun several times over because it gets too complex (unless the point is to keep failing and failing over and over again for the fun of seeing your ship explode).

A realistic space game would have you constantly in fear of dying instantly to things outside your control. Space combat would be an extremely long boring time followed by death in seconds. So Star Citizen is the most accurate space game!

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
He could also go to a real beach or have a drink at a real bar. Really the sky is the limit.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Time_pants posted:

What is the rest of Spectrum like? It seems like all we ever see anymore is pisscat's ramblings. Who even is still around? What is the average Star Citizen backer even like now?

I by chance went three days ago to see, as I had the same question.

One of the first non-stickied threads was something like “What even is this game” and the guy was making a genuine attempt to play it but struggled due to bugs and asked where the fun stuff was, making good points and he wasn’t even vitriolic, and he got dogpiled by idiots immediately spouting “alpha game” and poo poo like “lol sux to be you” and “whiner” kind of poo poo.

Supportive community :thumbsup:

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Time_pants posted:

I still browse Spectrum and Reddit once in a while looking for some laughs. It’s barely changed at all in the past 5 years. It’s still full of game dads jerking themselves off over how many ships they’ve bought and posting their dreams.txt about how awesome their two hour commute to their space janitor job is going to be someday.

There are negative posts of course, mostly coinciding with missed deadlines and such, but very few people have the energy to keep up the fight after 12 loving years. Almost all of the posters are happy to buy ships and dream.

Piss Cat is only really notable because he’s the last true believer clinging onto the peak hype years, believing that SC will be his digital transcendence into the Matrix, and quoting decade old off the cuff utterances for the Crobbler as gospel. Everyone else has accepted to varrying degrees that SC will still just be a game, not The Singularity.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 20, 2024

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

evilmiera posted:

And then they're going the extra route by adding things like fighting on foot, trying to balance that while making interacting with the world outside of ship and FPS combat equally complex and difficult to interact with.

Its like someone looked at the real life world and went "Hmmm, no this isn't complex enough, my giant brain needs more of a challenge." rather than the actual reason people play sim games.

I always think of taxi to victory. It hasn't aged well but it's what pops into mind whenever these weirdos are thinking of the joy of tedium. There's a zoned out enjoyment of repetitive tasks but people seem weirdly drawn to also making those tasks annoying. Somewhere there is someone who wants (with zero irony) Taking Out the Trash Simulator that punishes you for anything less than frame-perfect inputs.

I guess it makes sense if you think that CIG is going to literally deliver The Matrix but somehow I doubt a barely functional Crysis mod using an engine from 2011 is going to be the thing that changes the world forever.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://packaged-media.redd.it/896t...56f5dde0979#t=0

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Mailer posted:

I always think of taxi to victory. It hasn't aged well but it's what pops into mind whenever these weirdos are thinking of the joy of tedium. There's a zoned out enjoyment of repetitive tasks but people seem weirdly drawn to also making those tasks annoying. Somewhere there is someone who wants (with zero irony) Taking Out the Trash Simulator that punishes you for anything less than frame-perfect inputs.

I guess it makes sense if you think that CIG is going to literally deliver The Matrix but somehow I doubt a barely functional Crysis mod using an engine from 2011 is going to be the thing that changes the world forever.

I usually think of Desert Bus.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Star Citizen isn't actually trying to be a realistic space simulator, it is simply tedious for the sake of tedium. It has almost no flight-model to speak of, it's just models dangling in space that can hover 5 feet off the ground upside down. There is very little complexity to Star Citizen like you would find in an actual simulator there is layers of poorly thought out systems such as food/drink meters and the crime/prison model which when you put those things into a game that is technically very broken makes trying to play it a chore.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I remember back in the arena commander days all the fighters had like WW2 era prop plane speeds. Is this still the case?

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024

Popete posted:

Star Citizen isn't actually trying to be a realistic space simulator, it is simply tedious for the sake of tedium. It has almost no flight-model to speak of, it's just models dangling in space that can hover 5 feet off the ground upside down. There is very little complexity to Star Citizen like you would find in an actual simulator there is layers of poorly thought out systems such as food/drink meters and the crime/prison model which when you put those things into a game that is technically very broken makes trying to play it a chore.

This reminds me of some trucking game that was trying to be a knockoff of Euro/American Truck Simulator, but set in Alaska. The marketing was all about how you're no longer struck in the truck and it's realistic and you have to eat, drink and sleep.

And then in the end it has bad truck handling, crappy controls, bugs, a barren world and all the busy work gets in the way of actually playing the game.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Yea I can’t wait to simulate pulling over every 30 minutes because I got diarrhea and my genitals got Alaskan lot lizard burn

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020

TuxedoOrca posted:

This reminds me of some trucking game that was trying to be a knockoff of Euro/American Truck Simulator, but set in Alaska. The marketing was all about how you're no longer struck in the truck and it's realistic and you have to eat, drink and sleep.

And then in the end it has bad truck handling, crappy controls, bugs, a barren world and all the busy work gets in the way of actually playing the game.

The MudRunner/SnowRunner games? Never played them but have to admit they seem really cool, driving this hug rig through the mud and rivers during a blizzard to deliver the load of pipes.

TheBombPhilosopher fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 19, 2024

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Popete posted:

Space Prison is possibly my favourite dumb feature showcase. It's the worst prison planet ever, with an escape route that every single player knows but the authorities don't ever seem to notice, and you get there in the first place through a loading screen. :yarg:

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024

TheBombPhilosopher posted:

The MudRunner/SnowRunner games? Never played them but have to admit they seem really cool, driving this hug rig through the mud and rivers during a blizzard to deliver the load of pipes.

Nah, it used to be called "alaskan truck simulator" but I guess they realized it was too obvious so I think they call it something like "alaskan road truckers". It's from that company that floods steam with "x simulator" games.

Mudrunner/Snowrunner are good, tho. Like trucking, but you fight the elements. Different company, too.

TuxedoOrca fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 19, 2024

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So... for their 'upcoming' (lol) 1.0 release, will the backers finally get the ships they've put down mortgages for?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

CommissarMega posted:

So... for their 'upcoming' (lol) 1.0 release, will the backers finally get the ships they've put down mortgages for?

* everything-they-pledged-for-and-a-lot-more meme *

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

FishMcCool posted:

Space Prison is possibly my favourite dumb feature showcase. It's the worst prison planet ever, with an escape route that every single player knows but the authorities don't ever seem to notice, and you get there in the first place through a loading screen. :yarg:

God, and why is it one of the few things that's actually "finished"?? Sorry, can't work on the ships you payed hundreds of dollars for, but here's a gigantic timesink if you die with a wanted level!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Lol Glassdoor just doxxed all their users I wonder if there's a bunch of scrambling SC employees/review leavers now

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2024/03/glassdoor-adding-users-real-names-job-info-to-profiles-without-consent/

Anyone here with an account might want to look into this

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Wow that's a pure scumbag move

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Thoatse posted:

Lol Glassdoor just doxxed all their users I wonder if there's a bunch of scrambling SC employees/review leavers now

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2024/03/glassdoor-adding-users-real-names-job-info-to-profiles-without-consent/

thats awful and will end transparency, nobody should look into this because employees telling the truth should be anonymous

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Dark Off posted:

thats awful and will end transparency, nobody should look into this because employees telling the truth should be anonymous

I think it will just end Glassdoor. How many people are going to keep using it now. Oh and when you delete you account apparently it get rid of all your posts, so after a mass exodus of users it won't even have older reviews to look at.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Time to send some customer service mails about CIG reviews as one Christopher Roberto.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Sandweed posted:

Time to send some customer service mails about CIG reviews as one Christopher Roberto.

Robert Space, CEO and Founder of Robert Space Industries.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Thoatse posted:

It's very funny that Glassdoor are like "it's ok, we're not making your name public" like some sales guy isn't going to go "we could sell the real identities of these people to companies!" and add that in.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Fil5000 posted:

It's very funny that Glassdoor are like "it's ok, we're not making your name public" like some sales guy isn't going to go "we could sell the real identities of these people to companies!" and add that in.

But it's not even selling there details, it's just making there details public for what seems to be no reason. It's somehow stupider.

All I can think of is there was some legal issues they've run into and this was the solution to it. Either that or it's just the work of some incredible stupid person in management who just hates anonymous posting for some reason. There's no way when they were pushing this through there wouldn't of been pushback from people inside the company who actually understands how the website actually works.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

dr_rat posted:

But it's not even selling there details, it's just making there details public for what seems to be no reason. It's somehow stupider.
I don't think the names are actually publicly visible (and they're pinky promising they never will be) so it's not quite that stupid. Glad I never used the site though.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Sindai posted:

I don't think the names are actually publicly visible (and they're pinky promising they never will be) so it's not quite that stupid. Glad I never used the site though.

Just reread the article, and yeah looks like you're correct!

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

dr_rat posted:

All I can think of is there was some legal issues they've run into and this was the solution to it. Either that or it's just the work of some incredible stupid person in management who just hates anonymous posting for some reason. There's no way when they were pushing this through there wouldn't of been pushback from people inside the company who actually understands how the website actually works.

I don't really know their backend systems or intent, but it certainly sounds like a pretty common thing. Something like (I'm making this up) Glassdoor had an optional name field, but Fishbowl's was mandatory, so Fishbowl dipping into Glassdoor's data always broke. Devs chose the more career-safe method of hacking it instead of trying to tell some manager their dream wouldn't work. It's something that happens all the time everywhere and would be boring if the implications here weren't so damning.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Yes, the details are not public (yet). The issue is the data is there on a page accessible from a web browser and the only thing keeping it safe is your trust in their ability to never ever deploy a bug that messes up permissions or accidentally makes it visible to anyone. Or they just decide to make it public on purpose.

You're not anonymous if the only thing making you anonymous is some corporation who knows all your details pinky-promising not to tell.

This is likely part of a push to make reviews etc. verifiably from real people who worked at the place they claim to have worked at. There's definitely piles of fake stuff on Glassdoor but completely breaking trust is probably not the way to go to address this.

Fidelitious fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 20, 2024

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

colonelwest posted:

I still browse Spectrum and Reddit once in a while looking for some laughs. It’s barely changed at all in the past 5 years. It’s still full of game dads jerking themselves off over how many ships they’ve bought and posting their dreams.txt about how awesome their two hour commute to their space janitor job is going to be someday.

There are negative posts of course, mostly coinciding with missed deadlines and such, but very few people have the energy to keep up the fight after 12 loving years. Almost all of the posters are happy to buy ships and dream.

Piss Cat is only really notable because he’s the last true believer clinging onto the peak hype years, believing that SC will be his digital transcendence into the Matrix, and quoting decade old off the cuff utterances for the Crobbler as gospel. Everyone else has accepted to varrying degrees that SC will still just be a game, not The Singularity.

Yall got me curious with this

What happened to all the other old guard ,

the handful of streamers that were 100% only streaming SC ever

The little man from Texas that flaunted his money constantly , I think he turned into a tiddy streamer ?

Giogetmoney I remember him

Where are all those folks now that Chris is rounding the corner in his magnum opus dookie

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Has CIG gone woke? | Star Citizen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFXa2REICXk

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool