Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I should clarify, in the past I always traded a car in. I would usually take the offer I would get with the trade in to another dealership and conveniently omit the part with tbe trade in. Then I would add the trade in and then use that until I basically got them as low as they would go, and also juice the trade in value a bit.

Now, I am about to buy a car but WILL NOT be trading in a vehicle, so my usual "I forgot to include the trade-in value of my old car teehee" isn't an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

swickles posted:

I should clarify, in the past I always traded a car in. I would usually take the offer I would get with the trade in to another dealership and conveniently omit the part with tbe trade in. Then I would add the trade in and then use that until I basically got them as low as they would go, and also juice the trade in value a bit.

Now, I am about to buy a car but WILL NOT be trading in a vehicle, so my usual "I forgot to include the trade-in value of my old car teehee" isn't an option.

Well then you’re looking to do pretty much what I’m doing now. I went to about 7 dealers in my area. On the model of the car that I wanted, I just clicked the button that says “unlock the best price” or whatever. You had to fill in your name and email. Then I got email responses from dealers and I asked them what their out the door price to my zip code was. Most gave a response so you kinda knew where the starting point was. Plus I found a spreadsheet online that showed the price of every single Venza in the US that was updated daily.

This one from Costco, same deal. They had sent me a price on a different color and I told them thanks but I was still looking (which was true). He called me Saturday asking if I was still looking. I told him yes but I could wait until the exact car with what I wanted cost. Personally I was looking to spend around $2000 under MSRP. I think KBB gives you the invoice price but that $500 over invoice (42,000 invoice price, no taxes/fees) wasn’t going to fly for this model. The MSRP was $43,215 for the base car, the installed packages (which I didn’t want any of them) were $1602, and delivery processing was $1495 for a total of $46,312 MSRP.

He came back and said that the best he could do was $50,126 out the door. I asked for $49,500. He called back and said no, he couldn’t go lower than $50,126. I said, ok, I’ll still keep looking. He called back 90 minutes later and proposed $49,900 to which I confirmed that it was OUT THE DOOR and he said yes.

Looking at the purchase agreement, they made the price $44507.51, so if you subtract that from above, I paid $1804.49 less than MSRP (not counting taxes or fees).

tl;dr Used an Internet spreadsheet and initial offers through the Internet to get my fair price.

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 19, 2024

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FizFashizzle posted:

“Egg”

Sorry you’re back in :/

I'm okay. I was feeling like garbage last week and wasn't even able to keep water down starting on Wednesday, and on Friday, after I could tell I was in A-fib, I finally called a friend and got a ride to the ED. Blood work showed that my pancreas was inflamed and my kidneys were on fire, so they started giving me 4mg of IV morphine every two hours. (Now down to 10mg oral oxy every four hours.)

Anyway, I caught an infection while here, which is why I'm still in the shop.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

a sexual elk posted:

2 boiled eggs a day crew

I eat a tin of sardines every other day to balance it out tho just in case

Friendo maybe a minute less on the eggs

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Voted because it's good to do.

I'm so glad I don't have to deal with car bullshit. Never owned one and hope never do so. Had use of a family car in high school (stuck shift Saturn), but never again after moving away for college.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I sold my car to my sister for $1 when I moved to :canada: and so far I don't miss driving. I've only driven when I rented a car last month to go skiing, other than I've been walking a lot or Uber when needed.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
https://youtu.be/w1DNtxOO0DI?si=pdRKLKigH8AGqvbK

Interview with the Vampire season 2 dropped it's trailier and I am so excited for my favorite gay vampires to be on my screen. It looks like it'll be gloriously trashy and melodramatic so I am here for it. I may even shell out for AMC+ to watch it.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

All this car talk reminds me of one of the old man's great wisdoms - if it's got tits or wheels, you're going to have troubles with it.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The problem with car dealers is they specifically get paid to argue about bullshit all day long while you do not, and the other difference is that YOU get defensive when someone states that you're a shitbag who is lying directly to their face but they just try to see if they can set the record at it. It's not a game with a lot of wins for the customer.

I've bought one car new from a dealer once, and that was enough. Plus it's awesome buying barely used LA sports cars for half price.

kiimo posted:

Egg whites piss me off. Everyone orders them in LA, even the people that did coke the night before. Like, your heart has bigger eggs to fry

Sounds like your friends aren't doing coke correctly, you're not supposed to be capable of going anywhere the next day until like 9pm let alone having brunch. I also don't think I've ever heard anyone in my corner of the LA degen scene ever even speak about egg whites..

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Leperflesh posted:

heart healthy probably means just egg whites though, which is a gross way to eat egg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ah4tW-k8Ao
:v:

In heart-related news I hiked Dog Mountain with my goon friend Crosshatch today. Last year on the 4th of July he couldn't get past the 1st 1/4 mile before quitting due to being so out of shape. We opted to do 2-4 miles 2x a week around the Portland area while he tried to keep his heart rate between 145-155bpm.

Thought we'd only do 1/2 a mile up but he wanted to do reach the summit. We did take a lot of breaks when his heart rate hit 175-180bpm.

Meanwhile my heart rate barely broke 115bpm, so I just struck my best Hudson River School pose at one point on the trail.

Almost 4 hours to go 3.5 miles and almost 3k elevation, but we made the summit. As you can see there's still a little snow up there.

The trip down wasn't as bad tho we tried going a different route and had to backtrack when we realized it was snowed out.

The trip down wasn't great as we realized we didn't pack any food and at most we just had coffee & a small breakfast (Cheerios for him, a snack bag of almonds from a gas station for me).

Luckily Hood River wasn't far off so we stopped by Full Sail Brewing for food. All that hard work done in by beers & fries.

Not bad for a couple of out-of-shape goons in their late 40's.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

The problem with car dealers is they specifically get paid to argue about bullshit all day long while you do not, and the other difference is that YOU get defensive when someone states that you're a shitbag who is lying directly to their face but they just try to see if they can set the record at it. It's not a game with a lot of wins for the customer.

I've bought one car new from a dealer once, and that was enough. Plus it's awesome buying barely used LA sports cars for half price.

Sounds like your friends aren't doing coke correctly, you're not supposed to be capable of going anywhere the next day until like 9pm let alone having brunch. I also don't think I've ever heard anyone in my corner of the LA degen scene ever even speak about egg whites..

I kinda get his point though. I've seen it plenty with some of my friends who seem to always ask me for fitness and diet advice and I always tell them hire a nutritionist and see your GP but I'm always having to have the conversation of, if you're 80 pounds overweight and binge drinking 3 times a week you don't need to worry about the aspartame in diet coke or the cholesterol in eggs and yes I've heard of carnivore diet and no you shouldn't be worried about systemic inflammation from gluten and on and on it goes for whatever bullshit is on Facebook or the news this week.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Android Apocalypse posted:

In heart-related news I hiked Dog Mountain with my goon friend Crosshatch today. Last year on the 4th of July he couldn't get past the 1st 1/4 mile before quitting due to being so out of shape. We opted to do 2-4 miles 2x a week around the Portland area while he tried to keep his heart rate between 145-155bpm.

Thought we'd only do 1/2 a mile up but he wanted to do reach the summit. We did take a lot of breaks when his heart rate hit 175-180bpm.

Meanwhile my heart rate barely broke 115bpm, so I just struck my best Hudson River School pose at one point on the trail.

Almost 4 hours to go 3.5 miles and almost 3k elevation, but we made the summit. As you can see there's still a little snow up there.

The trip down wasn't as bad tho we tried going a different route and had to backtrack when we realized it was snowed out.

The trip down wasn't great as we realized we didn't pack any food and at most we just had coffee & a small breakfast (Cheerios for him, a snack bag of almonds from a gas station for me).

Luckily Hood River wasn't far off so we stopped by Full Sail Brewing for food. All that hard work done in by beers & fries.

I love Dog Mountain but yeah, that incline (and most of the gorge) can sneak up on folks if they’re not used to it. I aimed for Ramona Falls this weekend but bailed after 3 miles, 2 of which was getting from where the road closed to the trailhead, it was the bad combo of holdover snow but warm enough temperatures that I was post-holing to my knee every other step, especially once I passed the point where other folks have been, and that’s just no fun. The dog did his usual berserk in snow routine, so I can’t complain!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

BlindSite posted:

I kinda get his point though. I've seen it plenty with some of my friends who seem to always ask me for fitness and diet advice and I always tell them hire a nutritionist and see your GP but I'm always having to have the conversation of, if you're 80 pounds overweight and binge drinking 3 times a week you don't need to worry about the aspartame in diet coke or the cholesterol in eggs and yes I've heard of carnivore diet and no you shouldn't be worried about systemic inflammation from gluten and on and on it goes for whatever bullshit is on Facebook or the news this week.

Oh I totally agree with the point. My idiot friends are always like "I went for a 30 minute hike!!" and that will definitely fix the bottle of Jack Daniels you drank yesterday during the day.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sgt. Chowdown died :( https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4056699

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Wrong thread

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 20, 2024

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

I’d love a goon meet with you man, SoCal mountains, 7200 feet up. poo poo I’m 2 blocks down from the forest, desert side. Even then it’s less then an hour out of Jousha tree stuff

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 20, 2024

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Zone of interest is Good. Real Good

I didn’t even like under the skin.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Important news: "Hundreds of Beavers" is the best movie of the year if not the decade. Its 100 minutes of silent slapstick action comedy that keeps getting funnier. Think looney tunes with the plot of a simple video game where you need to figure out the use of one item to unlock the next one at the shop.

My 2nd grader loved it too if you need a family movie to see

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

FizFashizzle posted:

Zone of interest is Good. Real Good

I didn’t even like under the skin.

I liked both. It's fun too seeing the backlash against Glazer's acceptance speech because he had the audacity to mention what's happening in Gaza.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Quick update, the car dealership did not lose me over $20 and adjusted the sales price downward by $18.27. $44,489.24 was the final sales price without taxes/fees/add-ons.

Taxes made everything work out to what I wanted. Surprised they didn’t adjust the BS fees instead but whatever works.

Good luck to you, Swickles!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

X-men 97 is out today. Watched the first episode already, and its great. Eat some cereal while watching it for maximum effect.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

For car buying I'll just throw in that you can avoid all that negotiation bullshit by using one of the online companies like carvana... but don't, at least until those companies get a lot better at "not selling cars that they don't actually own because they never got the title" and "registering your car in a timely manner".

The last time I bought a used car from a dealer I just arrived at a price I would pay, offered a bit less than that, and then took their "final offer" back and said "well I need to check with my wife, I'm in no hurry so I'll come back in a few days." They don't like you leaving without the used car you were discussing but I always do it. Also, shop near the end of the month, because sales guys have some number of cars they want to sell every month to hit incentives so they're more inclined to take a hit on their commission if it gets them closer to their benny.

It helps that I was shopping for hatchbacks for around $8-10k. I can't imagine spending $50k on a car. My last car was the Tiguan, we bought it for $24k two years ago and that was already way outside my comfort zone but we were buying during the horrific covid-induced used car shortage. And it's a pretty swank car to be in and drive! Dealers really really really want to make their profits on those $50k deals, they're more inclined to just get an older $10k car off the lot to make room for a more valuable one.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I'm currently buying out the lease on my Crosstrek. Really regret not just buying it in 2021, but the car market is a lot different than I expected 3 years ago.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Nice!

https://x.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1770477539376386322?s=20

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

For car buying I'll just throw in that you can avoid all that negotiation bullshit by using one of the online companies like carvana... but don't, at least until those companies get a lot better at "not selling cars that they don't actually own because they never got the title" and "registering your car in a timely manner".

Never make a major purchase sight unseen.

Beyond that, Carvana also sells cars in practically any state of repair and may or may not inspect or repair the cars that do come through their facility. They're owned by the same shady guy that owns Drivetime, another large shady used car company that preys on poor people with lovely cars and subprime loans.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I bought my car with Zoom because I knew Carvana had problems, and Zoom was a fantastic buying experience and there's a window where you can return the car (less fees, in my case it would have been $750) for any reason, so you can actually get that inspection if you need to.

But.

Then they took like 3 months to register the car, when I could have done it myself in two hours, and it was not an optional service. I had to call and harass them weekly. Each call went to a service rep who would type something into the computer for the actual person, an at-home worker, to possibly deal with or not, and mostly that was 'not.' It was an awful experience. That was over 2 years ago, it's possible they've fixed their poo poo, but I don't care really. Doing some searches around that time and it became clear that a lot of their peers were having the same problems.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Leperflesh posted:

I can't imagine spending $50k on a car.

Hey, I’m not happy with it either, but I figured I’d splurge a little bit since I haven’t had a new car in 18 years. Toyotas have always had a price premium but if this one lasts 18+ years I won’t be too mad.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

they’ve done it before, but it’s nice that they got hanson to join in

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I bought a new car in december 2004, a VW golf base model, for about $16k at the time, money I didn't have so I had to finance it. I justified it to myself that I would own the car for its entire life, since I do most of my own car work and am fine owning an old car. In 2010, with the car fully paid off just a few months prior, some drunk jackass careened down my block and smashed into it on the 4th of july, then drove off leaving a trail of coolant in the street and my car smashed up onto my front lawn. A cop actually showed up 20m later, probably the whole force was out since it was 4th, and he followed the drying trail of coolant but didn't find the criminal who committed the hit and run. My insurance was generous (Amica), I had "uninsured motorist" coverage which includes this edge case, and I received a $8k payout which was $1k more than I was expecting.

So I actually spent $8k plus interest and insurance to lease a new car for about 5.5 years. Not terrible, but I realized that "I'm going to own it forever" isn't a guarantee either and since then I've been happy to buy a like-new car, e.g. anything 4 years old or less. The actual math is that you should buy new instead of <4 years old for some vehicles like a Prius where they hold their value so absurdly well, but for a VW they lose enough value that it's worth shopping gently used.

Everyone's different of course and I don't begrudge you spending your money on whatever the hell you want. I just... yeah, even if I was a millionaire I don't think I'd buy a $50k car. There's so many cool used cars I'd be happy to own.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

I bought a new car in december 2004, a VW golf base model, for about $16k at the time, money I didn't have so I had to finance it. I justified it to myself that I would own the car for its entire life, since I do most of my own car work and am fine owning an old car. In 2010, with the car fully paid off just a few months prior, some drunk jackass careened down my block and smashed into it on the 4th of july, then drove off leaving a trail of coolant in the street and my car smashed up onto my front lawn. A cop actually showed up 20m later, probably the whole force was out since it was 4th, and he followed the drying trail of coolant but didn't find the criminal who committed the hit and run. My insurance was generous (Amica), I had "uninsured motorist" coverage which includes this edge case, and I received a $8k payout which was $1k more than I was expecting.

So I actually spent $8k plus interest and insurance to lease a new car for about 5.5 years. Not terrible, but I realized that "I'm going to own it forever" isn't a guarantee either and since then I've been happy to buy a like-new car, e.g. anything 4 years old or less. The actual math is that you should buy new instead of <4 years old for some vehicles like a Prius where they hold their value so absurdly well, but for a VW they lose enough value that it's worth shopping gently used.

Everyone's different of course and I don't begrudge you spending your money on whatever the hell you want. I just... yeah, even if I was a millionaire I don't think I'd buy a $50k car. There's so many cool used cars I'd be happy to own.

You could also have a burst aneurysm or get killed instantly by a giant rear end truck t-boning you. A used car can be an absolute nightmare with less recourse than a new one and is just as likely to suffer the fate you listed.

Enjoy your car SB!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I just bought a new Miata from the place I used to work at and had it shipped down because due to interest rates being so bad and getting special financing promo through Mazda meant it was cheaper than replacing my S2000 with another S2000 by a considerable amount

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Just seeing the baseline level of awareness for most folks with auto maintenance, buying used could be an actual loving disaster.

I’ve bought used for awhile but I’m inspecting fluids, nuts deep in the engine bay, rolling around underneath banging on the frame and looking for rust and other signs of neglect. Most people aren’t doing this.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

God drat it, I was supposed to go home yesterday, then today, now the doctor is keeping me in the hospital for at least another day after I went into A-fib again this morning.

At least there's free WiFi here at Finley. (Pretty sure Mediacom shut off the Internet at my place until I find $115 to pay those jackals off.)

But, really, I don't know how much more of this "food" I can take. Last night's dinner was something called Salisbury pork, and it looked like tennis ball-shaped mystery meat of sadness.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
If you were a millionaire you probably would buy a 50k car. Toyota Land Cruiser baby

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Amy Pole Her posted:

If you were a millionaire you probably would buy a 50k car. Toyota Land Cruiser baby

You off a digit there?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Sigh you’re sadly right.

If I had all the cash I’d buy the Lexus version of it (the LX?)

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Amy Pole Her posted:

I would buy this car yes

The most expensive vehicle I’ve purchased was my Tacoma, which I bought used for 27k and that almost gave me hives.

I want that new LC badly but…probably not in the cards.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

LeeMajors posted:

I want that new LC badly but…probably not in the cards.

Same. There are times when I wish I could care less about smart financial decisions and just go for it like so many folks around me seemingly do. The mid level land cruiser is just a bit too much for me with how precarious tech is atm. drat is it a nice car tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Amy Pole Her posted:

I’d probably hire a driver first, then get a car.