Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

My only complaint about underdogs is the lack of weapon variety. They are kind of fixing that (the flail thing is sweet but they need the saw blade from the title screen asap).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I got the Daft Punk pack for Beat Saber and its been a long time since Ive played that game. Supernatural VR has kinda soured me on it. The beat mapping is just chaotic and narrow feeling and doesnt really feel like I was grooving with the music much.

I understand its a game so "hit everything perfectly" is sort of the point but I just enjoy the bigger range of motion and focus on physical challenge and the more rhythmic mapping style of Supernatural.

Beat Saber just feels like chaoticly flailing my wrists and its not nearly as satisfying anymore.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I always preferred synth riders over beat saber for the same reason. Beat saber just feels like rhythmic flailing to me whereas synth riders sometimes felt vaguely like you were doing a dance.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

AccountSupervisor posted:

I got the Daft Punk pack for Beat Saber and its been a long time since Ive played that game. Supernatural VR has kinda soured me on it. The beat mapping is just chaotic and narrow feeling and doesnt really feel like I was grooving with the music much.

I understand its a game so "hit everything perfectly" is sort of the point but I just enjoy the bigger range of motion and focus on physical challenge and the more rhythmic mapping style of Supernatural.

Beat Saber just feels like chaoticly flailing my wrists and its not nearly as satisfying anymore.

Some of the custom maps are better for that, but they’re tough to find and unfortunately don’t at all overlap with top rated ones. I’ve actually found myself getting a little bored with supernatural flow lately. Even high intensity barely gets my heart rate up usually, although I’m sure some of that is me not lunging as much it wants me to due to a bad knee. Boxing is still a lot of fun.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

EbolaIvory posted:

They were.

They nerfed them. They listened.

New one keeps getting free content updates too.

I mean its still hard don't get me wrong. But its "time crisis" hard. Its supposed to gently caress you up at some point and have a hump you have to grind over. There is easier modes now though so you could probably sleep through it if you're decent at pew pew in vr. Also Co-Op.

Anyways, those games are on pretty high on my game recommendations. The first ones a fun asset sorta flip idea proof of concept and the second ones the "hey lets make this for real".

Oh good! I'll check 'em out again then.

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023
Fists-only Boneworks is a good workout

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
Just got an ad for Meta's annual pass thing. Doesn't seem like a terrible deal but does it have games that are worth playing? I imagine it will just be a rotation of low tier garbage given the state of vr

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Kharan posted:

Well that's something, first time AppLab has outperformed PSVR2 on a game we released. It's kind of weird since AppLab is where games go to die, but maybe there are exceptions (right, Lemming?)

Last week we released Stilt, a swedish-finnish collaboration effort and also a kickass retro platformer. All the ~50 reviews are exactly at 5 stars. Since Meta's reich-like gatekeeping of the official store is killing us indies off, I hope this is the one to make it.

If this one doesn't make it, then gently caress it, I'm back to sniffing fentanyl.

I bought it, and got my referral link Looks fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGAeGZQib30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY0QF7ZREZ8

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Reek posted:

Just got an ad for Meta's annual pass thing. Doesn't seem like a terrible deal but does it have games that are worth playing? I imagine it will just be a rotation of low tier garbage given the state of vr

So far it seems to be a decent value if you don't have more than a few games. I think you get a $25 credit for signing up now too. I cancelled my free trial though, it hasn't really done anything for me.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Tony Vitillo's really useful VR newsletter pointed out a writeup that does a good job of using the design of the game Synapse to separate "immersion" from "embodiment" and explain why some of the UI choices work so well https://www.roadtovr.com/synapse-embodiment-immersion-inside-xr-design/

I particularly liked how in Synapse the player can -- among other things -- grab cover with one hand (a use of "drag the world" locomotion, in a way) which is super intuitive and really helps the sense of presence for a variety of reasons.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/EricMasher/status/1769787486987853889

TeamBeef is involved in the new studio.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Those modders are putting out some of the best VR content out there right now and most people don't even know it, this is actually pretty exciting to hear.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

i saw the announcement but im still not sure what the plan is. is this ports? they seem to be implying theyre working on an original game

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

"bringing classic flat games officially to VR" sounds unambiguous like ports to me.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

explosivo posted:

I always preferred synth riders over beat saber for the same reason. Beat saber just feels like rhythmic flailing to me whereas synth riders sometimes felt vaguely like you were doing a dance.

Yeah this is the main thing for me, I found that the harder Synth Riders got, not only did you have to sync up better and better to the beat and melody, it was actually rewarding to be conscious of your momentum as you shifted from one note to the other and that's what helps it feel like you're dancing. Beat Saber, especially in the DLC, max level gets lost in the sauce of just slamming stuff on the screen.

Also Synth Riders on Quest just has custom tracks normally which has been a huge plus lol

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

FuzzySlippers posted:

"bringing classic flat games officially to VR" sounds unambiguous like ports to me.

I'm here for it

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

FuzzySlippers posted:

that part i get but during the announcement they kept talking like theyre developing their own game as well

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

explosivo posted:

Those modders are putting out some of the best VR content out there right now and most people don't even know it, this is actually pretty exciting to hear.

Seriously, this seems like it could be a bid deal. They're at GDC now (With Toast Interactive) with a booth and a proper rig/setup demoing dialed in ports to devs and publishers, in some cases the same ones that made the games they'll be demoing :v:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
If anyone here is on Glassdoor and doesn't want to be doxxed you might want to look into this

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2024/03/glassdoor-adding-users-real-names-job-info-to-profiles-without-consent/

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

This is wild to me as supernatural felt like the shittiest, ugliest, worst maps I've ever seen in a VR rhythm game.

LIterallyABikeshop
Nov 13, 2023

Kwolok posted:

This is wild to me as supernatural felt like the shittiest, ugliest, worst maps I've ever seen in a VR rhythm game.

everything but the hardest supernatural maps kinda suck but they are still way better at keeping the pace up than Beat Saber

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://mixed-news.com/en/sclerosis-amnesia-vr-meta-quest/

Maybe this is it? Or it's another unofficial mod/port.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

supernatural legit got me kind of buff when i was doing it almost daily, the thing i like about it is the incredibly cringe but committed instructors

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Al! posted:

supernatural legit got me kind of buff when i was doing it almost daily, the thing i like about it is the incredibly cringe but committed instructors

As someone whose done home gym fitness with stuff like Beachbody for years, if your instructors arent kinda cringe they arent doing their job.

One of the funnier things about Supernatural for me is the song library being pretty diverse and awesome, some of them have incredibly bleak subject matter and it creates a hilarious mental dissonance, IE Last Resort by Papa Roach. I remember doing a nuMetal boxing one with Down with the Sickness on it and had a good laugh when they cut it off before the child abuse bridge. Or when the coaches talk about Chesters suicide in the Linkin Park series. Just a strange Black Mirror-esque feeling in those moments.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

One of the funnier things about Supernatural for me is the song library being pretty diverse and awesome, some of them have incredibly bleak subject matter and it creates a hilarious mental dissonance, IE Last Resort by Papa Roach. I remember doing a nuMetal boxing one with Down with the Sickness on it and had a good laugh when they cut it off before the child abuse bridge. Or when the coaches talk about Chesters suicide in the Linkin Park series. Just a strange Black Mirror-esque feeling in those moments.

This has actually piqued my interest lol

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Supernatural is probably the best VR fitness app, but at $10 a month, that's almost as much as my crunch fitness gym membership.

I love Beat Saber because it feels like a genuine sport or talent. Meaning you can gradually improve over the course of years. I used to only be able to do hard levels, and after 3 years, I can do most expert, and a few expert plus levels, and I can still get better. The learning curve is quite remarkable. Also, the 90 and 360 degree levels are fun, and the selection of music is really good.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

MeatRocket8 posted:

Supernatural is probably the best VR fitness app, but at $10 a month, that's almost as much as my crunch fitness gym membership.

I love Beat Saber because it feels like a genuine sport or talent. Meaning you can gradually improve over the course of years. I used to only be able to do hard levels, and after 3 years, I can do most expert, and a few expert plus levels, and I can still get better. The learning curve is quite remarkable. Also, the 90 and 360 degree levels are fun, and the selection of music is really good.

People with MP3s still laying around really need to give powerbeats a shot for working out.

Its not the best, but its absolutely "fun enough" to lose yourself in your music and end up doing 1000 squats in an hour. Assuming you're not trying to have it generate maps for songs with weird BPMs and poo poo. Like, its not gonna do well with aphex twin ya know?

Beat Saber is still king though. Theres just too much custom content out there.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I've been having fun playing Deftones and Royal Blood songs in Paradiddle.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i still love unplugged, one day i was so on fire i landed like the top 2/3 slots on most of the songs on the hardest unlockable album. have never been able to get to anything close to that flow state again

thing i dont like about unplugged is the music selection, truly a buttrock galaxy. the songs are still really fun to play

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

MeatRocket8 posted:

I was surprised at the cost until I saw the music library and how often they add stuff. It is essentially in small part a growing music streaming platform so I can imagine their licensing fees are pretty huge and ever changing.

I do think $5 a month would be more reasonable though, its not exactly a full streaming service but comes close to the cost of them so $10 is a bit much.

Honestly though if I could get something in between Beat Saber and Supernatural with boxing mixed in Id be in love. The 360 mode for Beat Saber did improve my last experience but I still found the beat mapping not as fun, but absolutely more challenging in a pure accuracy sense. I do enjoy Synth Riders a ton as well, which also soured me a bit on Beat Sabers relative lack of range and body movement.

By no means do I think Beat Sabers bad Id just way rather do Supernatural/Synth Riders at this point.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This has actually piqued my interest lol

The music selection really surprised me and it is a huge part of why I love it. The playlists genuinely have some bangers and gems from genres youd never expect to see in something like a VR fitness app. Their licensing team has unexpectedly good taste.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

If you did not know, the previous cost per month was $20. My wife and I paid that for almost a year. Maybe we need to go back because the cost was why we dropped it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Info about a budget Quest 3 got leaked

https://x.com/lunayian/status/1769104387702460616?s=46

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The front camera thing seems interesting. Are the front cameras better, or are they just repurposing the camera module from a phone?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

We were talking of the lack of standalone racing games the other day. Well, here comes one, for Quest/SteamVR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ke-uqtHTf0

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

The front camera thing seems interesting. Are the front cameras better, or are they just repurposing the camera module from a phone?

It would be funny if the leak is real and the reasons each camera set have three things is that one, just reusing smartphone camera modules.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Can't wait to see the posts of people throwing up when the camera switches to the macro lens and their IPD shifts by an inch

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Why wait for the 3s? You can make yourself vomit in the 3 by bringing anything close to your face

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Snackmar posted:

I feel like this isn't getting talked about enough:

It's rad as hell and I spent a whole hour on just these tracks the other day.

Oh man, time to dig my headset out again!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So the PSVR2 got a firmware update to make it a lot more PCVR-viable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Info about a budget Quest 3 got leaked

x.com/lunayian/status/1769104387702460616?s=46

I see something like this and it does make it temping to spend the money to upgrade from the Q2. BUT I also have at least ten games between my meta and steam libraries that I've bought and haven't touched (and counting since I just got a few more from this bundle). I told myself I can't spend the money to upgrade to anything until I finish everything I already have.