Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I did like the nice touch that the intro changed for both eps. And will probably be updated again for the third ep.

Adrianics posted:

there were a few twists that I didn't see coming at all (god damned STORM of all characters getting depowered was intense and really set the stakes)

:smith:

notthegoatseguy posted:

X-Men 97: So uh Did Rogue and Magneto have a relationship in the original show that I forgot about???

I don't think so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

Edit: Oh lord Magneto's costume.

Powerfully anime.

It seems okay. Rogue’s voice is a bit like nails on a chalkboard, though. Like a mediocre Dolly Parton impression.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 20, 2024

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

notthegoatseguy posted:

X-Men 97: So uh Did Rogue and Magneto have a relationship in the original show that I forgot about???

Also this really is a Day After continuation. Lots of small little tech details like the use of walkman cassette tape players being used.

It’s based on something from the comics, but must be retcon for the show. There’s no hint of it in the original eps.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DiscoJ posted:

It’s based on something from the comics, but must be retcon for the show. There’s no hint of it in the original eps.

I was kinda surprised that they went there in that scene given that about thirty seconds earlier Magneto implied he and Charles were exes.

Not in the sense that I'm surprised he's bi, more in the sense that there was a lot of information being dropped about the character at once.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Meanwhile, I'm finally going in on Runaways. Apart from AoS (which has so many episodes I'm putting it off watching the rest until I have time to really get into it), this is the last MCU thing I haven't seen. Two episodes deep and... it's alright. Defiantly average, but I'm interested to see where it goes. I actually read the first couple of arcs from the comics, so I am (or was) familiar with what the story started out as.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Parkingtigers posted:

Meanwhile, I'm finally going in on Runaways.

(...)

Defiantly average, but I'm interested to see where it goes.

Unfortunately, it's not interested in going anywhere.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Unfortunately, it's not interested in going anywhere.

Yeah, the OP is going to be disappointed when he realizes it takes the entire first season to get to the end of the first issue of the comic.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I was kinda surprised that they went there in that scene given that about thirty seconds earlier Magneto implied he and Charles were exes.

I guess you could interpret it that way.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Parkingtigers posted:

Meanwhile, I'm finally going in on Runaways. Apart from AoS (which has so many episodes I'm putting it off watching the rest until I have time to really get into it), this is the last MCU thing I haven't seen. Two episodes deep and... it's alright. Defiantly average, but I'm interested to see where it goes. I actually read the first couple of arcs from the comics, so I am (or was) familiar with what the story started out as.

Saving the best (AoS) for last of course!

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Edit: Oh lord Magneto's costume.

He where's that git up for good chunk of the 80's

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

I want more She-Hulk, it was such a fun show.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
My main worry about X-Men 97 (spoiling speculation I guess) is that it will start to tie directly into the MCU/Secret Wars stuff as it goes on rather than staying standalone. There's references to Stark Industries, Avengers Tower and The Daily Bugle in the first couple of episodes which isn't getting my hopes up...

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Not in the sense that I'm surprised he's bi, more in the sense that there was a lot of information being dropped about the character at once.

That would be fun and wild if it were the case but I don't think that's what they're going for at all here

Adrianics posted:

My main worry about X-Men 97 (spoiling speculation I guess) is that it will start to tie directly into the MCU/Secret Wars stuff as it goes on rather than staying standalone. There's references to Stark Industries, Avengers Tower and The Daily Bugle in the first couple of episodes which isn't getting my hopes up...

I'm worried about that too, but those aspects are probably more setting up cameos from characters like 90's animated spider-man

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

The Grumbles posted:

That would be fun and wild if it were the case but I don't think that's what they're going for at all here

I'm worried about that too, but those aspects are probably more setting up cameos from characters like 90's animated spider-man

If I could get odds on the finale ending with an incursion as The Watcher looks on sadly, I'd consider it worth a tenner.

If, however, this is leading towards Christopher Daniel Barnes back as Spider-Man I will probably cry end of Shawshank Redemption style tears.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I really really like how the first two episodes establish “X-Men 97 is about 2024”. Blatantly in the second episode.

I also like that some characters speak almost exclusively in monologue. It’s very comic booky without having to break down frames and panels.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Oasx posted:

I want more She-Hulk, it was such a fun show.

You and me both, baby

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just watched the first two X-Men 97 episodes back to back. Life is good and I feel like I'm 8 again :allears:

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006

Adrianics posted:

I hope this is the case and we end up with a Roger rabbit situation

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Rarity posted:

Just watched the first two X-Men 97 episodes back to back. Life is good and I feel like I'm 8 again :allears:

Yeah I’m watching now

Extremely good

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I highly recommend eating cereal while watching it for the full effect.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Either X-Men came on earlier for you guys or you ate breakfast later in the day. I remember it started at 10

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
X-Men was an afternoon show for me, and I always missed it because it aired during my commute

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I remember really liking the x men cartoon when it came out, but does anyone remember the one they made afterwards in the early 00s? I seem to remember like it was more a conventional high school? Nightcrawler wore some kind of device to make him look like a regular dude?? Does this mean anything to anyone?????
Anyway that was my poo poo

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

X-Men Evolution?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

That's X-Men Evolution and I think it's pretty great

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Golden Bee posted:

I really really like how the first two episodes establish “X-Men 97 is about 2024”. Blatantly in the second episode.

I also like that some characters speak almost exclusively in monologue. It’s very comic booky without having to break down frames and panels.

The best thing about the original show rewatching it as an adult is how unapologetically melodramatic it is.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

live with fruit posted:

The best thing about the original show rewatching it as an adult is how unapologetically melodramatic it is.

It’s about weird adults who live in a mansion, reality TV.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Golden Bee posted:

It’s about weird adults who live in a mansion, reality TV.

More like a soap.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That's X-Men for you, especially 90s X-Men. The formula used to be that they'd do 4-6 issues where they fought Mister Sinister, the Brood or just a bunch of ninjas, then have one issue where everyone just kind of sat around the mansion and was horny and/or sad. Then in the bottom of the last panel there'd be a splash graphic that would say "Next issue: Omega Red punches Colossus in the butthole!" or something

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

That's X-Men for you, especially 90s X-Men. The formula used to be that they'd do 4-6 issues where they fought Mister Sinister, the Brood or just a bunch of ninjas, then have one issue where everyone just kind of sat around the mansion and was horny and/or sad. Then in the bottom of the last panel there'd be a splash graphic that would say "Next issue: Omega Red punches Colossus in the butthole!" or something

Maybe it's taken them so long to introduce the X-Men in the MCU because they don't know how to reconcile that with the sexless Whedon house style.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Sad it’s taken people 20 some years to learn cyclops is always right and the best xman

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I did not see a January 6th reference coming.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Dpulex posted:

Sad it’s taken people 20 some years to learn cyclops is always right and the best xman

this is the wrongest take i've ever seen

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

live with fruit posted:

I did not see a January 6th reference coming.

That's basically X-Men 101 tbf

Defiance Industries posted:

Omega Red punches Colossus in the butthole!

:frogon:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Insanite posted:

this is the wrongest take i've ever seen

Indeed. Walking out on your postpartum wife and newborn son because you heard your college girlfriend was back in town isn't cool.

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.
Really like that they kept the Cerebro music…that tune was always a favorite part of original

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love that Roberto was in that first episode, that's what I wanted to see the most from this, having more Mutants appear, even if it was for one episode.

Did the intro always have Emma and Deathstrike in it?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Cyclops pushing himself around and landing from a great height with his lasers was fuckin sick. The whole first episode felt like bashing action figures together in the back yard and i am here for it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Elendil004 posted:

Cyclops pushing himself around and landing from a great height with his lasers was fuckin sick. The whole first episode felt like bashing action figures together in the back yard and i am here for it.

Yea that was rad as gently caress. Hell, all the fight scenes had them using their powers in really cool ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

twistedmentat posted:

I love that Roberto was in that first episode, that's what I wanted to see the most from this, having more Mutants appear, even if it was for one episode.

Did the intro always have Emma and Deathstrike in it?

No, they replaced Thunderbird and that green guy with the huge brain.