Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

explosivo posted:

. Stim first, it keeps healing you for a few seconds even when you're at full health :cripes:

Assuming you're not getting staggered out of the animation every half second like what usually happens to me in those scenarios. I can press the button all I want, if enemies are close to me there's a 50% chance it just won't register and do anything and another 50% chance that if it does register I'll get staggered before the stim applies and waste time with no benefit. Very consistently happens with bugs, which also have the problem of not being easy to disengage from (even running the lightest armor I have available).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

SkyeAuroline posted:

Assuming you're not getting staggered out of the animation every half second like what usually happens to me in those scenarios. I can press the button all I want, if enemies are close to me there's a 50% chance it just won't register and do anything and another 50% chance that if it does register I'll get staggered before the stim applies and waste time with no benefit. Very consistently happens with bugs, which also have the problem of not being easy to disengage from (even running the lightest armor I have available).

Yeah, no I understand it's easier said than done in some cases. I'll do the same where I'm mashing stim while getting whacked from all angles and even if the animation plays and the sound plays it won't work because I get knocked out of it. That's when I'm usually just trying to run and dive to get far enough away from anything to stim before running. It's especially hard when the hunters are slowing you down constantly.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Wait. Element 710 is OIL??

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Are you reconsidering your patriotism soldier?

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

I loving love blasting a big armored bug in the head with a recoilless round man. Anti-armor is my poo poo.

The higher difficulties are where this game really starts to shine.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

SUPER oil.

It's necessary for space travel. The E-710 must flow.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

710 is also just OIL upside-down and backwards lol

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Looks like 2 EATs can take out a flyer nest from range

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SkyeAuroline posted:

Against bugs I'm starting to think the shield or laserbot are mandatory for me. Maybe the jetpack if I get good at using it to disengage quick instead, but so far it's cooldown is too much for that. Either really helps with avoiding getting repeatedly chain-staggered by either just blocking the hit or killing whatever is killing you. Of course, I might just need to git gud and then I could bring another secondary along with the EATs again.

And my favorite non-EAT secondaries (GL, arc thrower) against bugs don't need a backpack either, so there's that.

I want the ability to save loadout slots though, at least for bugs/bots variation.

E:vvvv yeah when I used the Breaker it was clear that laserbot was better just to clear chaff and save ammo. With the Sickle it's maybe a bit less clear because ammo is effectively not a concern and my primary is better at chewing up chaff while suffering a bit more against the medium bugs.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 20, 2024

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Laserbot is great for bugs because it lets me focus more on the types that can actually gently caress up the squad. Also lol at 710 being oil upside down, fuckin lmao

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i'm glad that the robot melee works 100% of the time now

Ravenfood posted:

E:vvvv yeah when I used the Breaker it was clear that laserbot was better just to clear chaff and save ammo. With the Sickle it's maybe a bit less clear because ammo is effectively not a concern and my primary is better at chewing up chaff while suffering a bit more against the medium bugs.

the laser dog is most useful in fights where you're dealing with enough enemies at once that the sickle stops having infinite ammo. it's straight up better than the shield for bugs in any situation imo, it's better to kill things before they deal damage to you than to be able to tank that damage.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The laser dog will do a lot of work, like its insanely effective at killing bugs, but I absolutely hate that little bastard and how much friendly fire he puts out on me regardless of i I wear it or my teammate wears it.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Turn "710" upside down

Hope this patch resolves the crashes, everything else is gravy but not being able to finish missions due to CTDs was a real kick in the nuts each time it happened

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

the 500kg bomb, EAT and laser dog with the sickle seems really good for bugs. i played a round earlier where i killed almost every bile titan and charger while also having the same number of kills as the rest of the team combined. still won't help with the bug that makes the game crash 60 seconds before extraction while you have the super samples, though.

i did see someone actually using the plasma shotgun in a cool way. it apparently one shots bug eggs and IIRC he was using it with the stalwart and EAT and really quickly clearing all of the egg clusters when we got to them.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 20, 2024

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

So long as the shield blocks slows from Hunters and other sources of bullshit it'll always be a top pick. I used to hate on the Rover because it was pretty lethal to players but that seems to be less of a problem lately.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If you use the laserdog you don't need the shield to block hunters, it kills them all before they reach you.

Another option is just taking the top-tier Muscle Enhancement booster since it not only is insanely helpful for traversal but it significantly reduces the slow effect when you take a melee hit and lets you run away from hoppers and hunters anyway.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Lol google says 710 is a denatured alcohol solution.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The laser rover is incredible against bugs whenever it isn't locked onto the front of a hive guard or strafing your head.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

If you use the laserdog you don't need the shield to block hunters, it kills them all before they reach you.

Another option is just taking the top-tier Muscle Enhancement booster since it not only is insanely helpful for traversal but it significantly reduces the slow effect when you take a melee hit and lets you run away from hoppers and hunters anyway.

Oh no poo poo it works on their slow? That's awesome and definitely would push it back laserbot for me.

And yeah that loadout is pretty versatile. The only thing I find myself struggling with is massed bile spewers but even then six impacts help. Hopefully someone else brought an AC or GL.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Darox posted:

The laser rover is incredible against bugs whenever it isn't locked onto the front of a hive guard or strafing your head.

Or happen to be standing above where the bugs are so it tries to shoot straight through you to them.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

johnny park posted:

:vince:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

they fixed the Patriot rockets by not letting them shoot downwards anymore lmao

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

Oh no poo poo it works on their slow? That's awesome and definitely would push it back laserbot for me.

And yeah that loadout is pretty versatile. The only thing I find myself struggling with is massed bile spewers but even then six impacts help. Hopefully someone else brought an AC or GL.

Yep! It gets rid of the full momentum-stopping on the stumble entirely
https://packaged-media.redd.it/tonn...10f0b106d2b#t=0

The player in the video w/ muscle enhancement gets hit a second time but you can prevent that by just diving after the first hit (which is a good way to get away from hunters even without muscle booster but the stumble prevents you from diving until it's over and gives them time to keep the pace with you)

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Hwurmp posted:

yeah it kinda sucks if you have the high ground

hopped on during lunch to knock out the personal order, got a mission without the bile spewers :negative: (we did get out with some Super Samples I desperately need, so i guess i'll take it

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

I was getting so reluctant to take the mech even against bugs because I kept loving blowing myself up with this little, um, quirk, so that's good to hear

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Yep! It gets rid of the full momentum-stopping on the stumble entirely
https://packaged-media.redd.it/tonn...10f0b106d2b#t=0

The player in the video w/ muscle enhancement gets hit a second time but you can prevent that by just diving after the first hit (which is a good way to get away from hunters even without muscle booster but the stumble prevents you from diving until it's over and gives them time to keep the pace with you)

Welp time to always have muscle enhancement on bug missions.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

johnny park posted:

:O

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So I recently discovered two movement-related things that I didn't know about that maybe other goons aren't aware of but probably are.

You can do a neat little crouch slide if you press crouch as you're running. This is handy when you want to duck into cover against bots.

Also I bound Sprint and Climb together on the keyboard so I can immediately climb up scalable obstacles after running into them if able. Seems to work well and is pretty helpful.

edit: No Goon Squad gang tag for me? That sucks. :negative:

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

So I recently discovered two movement-related things that I didn't know about that maybe other goons aren't aware of but probably are.

You can do a neat little crouch slide if you press crouch as you're running. This is handy when you want to duck into cover against bots.

Also I bound Sprint and Climb together on the keyboard so I can immediately climb up scalable obstacles after running into them if able. Seems to work well and is pretty helpful.

Be careful if you want to use the jetpack, climb is the button that activates it.

Also you can do that sliding crouch right into an AC reload too.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Dyz posted:

Be careful if you want to use the jetpack, climb is the button that activates it.

Oh poo poo, I never use the Jetpack and just assumed activating it would be the same key bound to backpack. Good to know.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
i tried out the jetpack briefly when it was a free slot calldown... i did not find it intuitive or effective

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Dyz posted:

They have an entire button for "Use backpack" and then they bind jetpack to climb... making it basically unusable for me... pain...

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 20, 2024

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

This is default behavior while sprinting, you don't need to be pressing the climb button. It's why there's a Helldiver cat meme of climbing onto the resupply pod. In some rare cases I've had climb help get up a ledge that sprint alone didn't want to scale but most of the time just sprinting will vault you over/onto stuff.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The new flying bugs are not great. Just had a mission where by fluke we started near a bird roost, two secondaries, and a nest. Normally not an issue, but it was utterly impossible to escape or fight free, and we just died there. Because the flying bugs spawn stupidly quickly, are hard to hit in the sky even with a shotgun, and will near kill you if they hit in a swoop even after death. It becomes impossible to stop and call a stratagem, or reload your AT weapons.

Dealing with that on top of the usual charger spam and Bile titans is very far on the wrong side of "this is a fun challenge" and well into "this is broken and unfun."

J
Jun 10, 2001

A few pages back someone had a really helpful post about how patrols and enemy spawns work. I've sometimes ended up in games where there are 1 or 2 players who seem to know what they are doing off soloing objectives, and I don't really know what I should be doing in the meantime. I don't know how to solo poo poo, and trying to keep up with the solos has felt not very useful. I don't have that one scout armor yet with the highest speed rating on it. They're basically speedrunning the objectives and hitting da bricks. So either I end up in a spot with the other players where we just die and reinforce each other in the same hopeless area, or we all die and one of the solos reinforces us as they are running away and we kinda land in the middle of all the poo poo that was chasing them. But going by that previous post I mentioned, generating bug breaches or dropships in the middle of nowhere is actually useful? I'm just unsure as to what to do in these situations.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Jerkface posted:

They have an entire button for "Use backpack" and then they bind jetpack to sprint... making it basically unusable for me... pain...

It's not bound to sprint though

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I have to assume the flying bugs killing you if they die during a swoop is a glitch and now that apparently more people are encountering them it'll hopefully get hotfixed real quick.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Man I only used this for snow and mud.

It’s buff diver time.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

The new flying bugs are not great. Just had a mission where by fluke we started near a bird roost, two secondaries, and a nest. Normally not an issue, but it was utterly impossible to escape or fight free, and we just died there. Because the flying bugs spawn stupidly quickly, are hard to hit in the sky even with a shotgun, and will near kill you if they hit in a swoop even after death. It becomes impossible to stop and call a stratagem, or reload your AT weapons.

Dealing with that on top of the usual charger spam and Bile titans is very far on the wrong side of "this is a fun challenge" and well into "this is broken and unfun."

...they fly now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Dandywalken posted:

...they fly now...

:mods:

How's the gas bomb? On paper it looks like a good area of denial, but I have a feeling it usually backfires.