Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Neil Armbong posted:

Same. There are times when I wish I could care less about smart financial decisions and just go for it like so many folks around me seemingly do. The mid level land cruiser is just a bit too much for me with how precarious tech is atm. drat is it a nice car tho.

Yeah they seem to have made more of a practical vehicle this time around and we could afford it, but like goddamn that’s so much money for a car. Both our cars are paid off and in good shape.

It’s such a bummer that everything is so loving expensive now.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I really wish I could live in a spot that didn't require having a car, or at the very least was only used for long rides. Alas my neighborhood has a mediocre walkable score, and there are no good places to chain my bike to.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Friend of mine's dad bought one of those white whale full size motorhomes to use at most a couple times of year recently so I started looking at the reasonable class B ones built on pickup chassis and am kinda enjoying seeing the spacial design usage in them and then laughing at how even the cheap ones are $130k and completely unmaintainable

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

When I was getting my car fixed for an accident that was the other persons’s fault, there was also a guy losing his poo poo because his parked car got hit by a drunk driver and insurance was trying to say it could have been a bad park job.

Probably a justified time to be mad

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I would not buy a toyota land cruiser, regardless of how much money I had - it has zero appeal to me at all

however, I would buy a 1985 VW scirocco with the 32 valve engine

:getin:

as a long-time automotive insanity poster and participant in the AI advice thread, my sense is that a huge majority of car owners radically overvalue "reliability" - that is, they'll happily pay ten thousand dollars more for a newer car to avoid approximately one instance of the car breaking down on the road somewhere and having to deal with a tow truck and a repair. Or nearly as commonly, they'll rationalize that as sufficient reason to justify a new car over a used one. There are plenty of legit horror stories about lemon cars and dealing with them, but those horror stories are really big hardships mostly to people who are already poor and cannot just rent a car for a while or get their broken poo poo to a good quality mechanic.

IMO a 4 year old car is basically new nowadays given how long cars now last, and buying it used is very low risk provided you do a pre-purchase inspection and don't buy a car that was already very poorly rated for reliability; and most of the reliability rating failures have to do with niggling bullshit like automatic window motors or some electronic doohickey, and not engine or transmission failure

there are of course a few high-profile exceptions, cars that had to be recalled because all their engines failed at 30k miles, but those are incredibly rare

it's sort of like how people radically overweight the risk of dying in an airplane vs. dying in a car crash, you should be far more scared to get in a car than you are scared to get on a plane, but our brains don't work that way, we over-emphasize the types of risk that we perceive ourselves as having no control over and under-emphasize risks that we perceive ourselves as having agency to avoid. "I'm a good driver so I'll simply avoid dying in a car crash" isn't borne out by the statistics but it's how our minds cope with the fact that we're something like ten thousand times more likely to die in a car than on a plane, even accounting for miles traveled or for hours traveled or any other reasonable comparative metric

anyway I got way off field there, my point is, new cars are lovely and I hope everyone gets to have one if they want one, because it's nice to buy a new car; but most of the time you are not saving money and you are also not buying a big jump up in reliability vs. a gently used one either, and that's a fact that can be backed up with statistics, it's not a point of argument refutable with anecdata

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Got my interview a tad early.. 30 minutes.. I thought LAX traffic would be worse lol

Anyway time to chill a little so I stop freaking out!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I mean, if I didn’t have a wife and child I’d have imported a 90s 2door Prado from JapanCarDirect by now. But I have to think about things like “safety” and “rollover risk” these days.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

oh yeah I don't commute and I wouldn't drive a 1980s car long distances or in traffic, it'd be a toy to slowride around in on a weekend sunny day or something, presuming I've got millions to blow on toys

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
i bought a new CX-50 a few months ago, and it is the best car I have owned. I love it dearly, I saw another on the road in the same color and was amazed at how wonderful it looked.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

LeeMajors posted:

It’s such a bummer that everything is so loving expensive now.

I’m sure every generation has this number and it’s different but this car will be just slightly half of what I paid for my house 21 years ago. Blows my mind, but at least the house is paid off.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

IMO Mazda is right up there as good value and reliability as honda/toyota the last five or ten years now and their reputation is gradually catching up to their value

car opinions seem to massively lag behind the current state of things; people thought you needed to change your oil every 3k miles for 20 years after that number started really being 5k+, people thought korean cars were garbage for 20+ years after they started being really quite good, and people still think a car is done at 150k miles even though basically all modern vehicles made in the last decade are capable of going 300k+ as long as you do their regular scheduled maintenance

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
love Mazda. 10 months ago I couldn't name a single Mazda model and now I am already smiling warmly at the 3, grinning openly at the rotary engine RX-7, and loving my Cx-50

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

I’m sure every generation has this number and it’s different but this car will be just slightly half of what I paid for my house 21 years ago. Blows my mind, but at least the house is paid off.

adjust for inflation tho?

was your house $100k in 2003 dollars or in 2024 dollars?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Leperflesh posted:

IMO Mazda is right up there as good value and reliability as honda/toyota the last five or ten years now and their reputation is gradually catching up to their value

car opinions seem to massively lag behind the current state of things; people thought you needed to change your oil every 3k miles for 20 years after that number started really being 5k+, people thought korean cars were garbage for 20+ years after they started being really quite good, and people still think a car is done at 150k miles even though basically all modern vehicles made in the last decade are capable of going 300k+ as long as you do their regular scheduled maintenance

Toyota’s own owner’s maintenance plan for this car says I only need to change the oil every 10k miles but that seems so wrong. I plan on still keeping the 5k schedule.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Leperflesh posted:

adjust for inflation tho?

was your house $100k in 2003 dollars or in 2024 dollars?

$102k in 2003 dollars. You’re right, I’m not factoring in inflation.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

Toyota’s own owner’s maintenance plan for this car says I only need to change the oil every 10k miles but that seems so wrong. I plan on still keeping the 5k schedule.

5k for dino oil, 10k+ for synthetic. Unless you've removed the filter and are driving through clouds of dust every day or routinely overheating your engine, there is no reason to change synthetic oil every 5k miles.

e. you can take an oil sample right before you change your oil and send it to Blackstone for an analysis, if you want to validate this assertion. You can actually go more like 15k on synthetic, but the manufacturer is being conservative with 10k.

Silly Burrito posted:

$102k in 2003 dollars. You’re right, I’m not factoring in inflation.

Your house was about $174,200 in 2024 dollars.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 20, 2024

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Pron on VHS posted:

love Mazda. 10 months ago I couldn't name a single Mazda model and now I am already smiling warmly at the 3, grinning openly at the rotary engine RX-7, and loving my Cx-50

If I was a millionaire all I would buy is stuff like the FD RX7 and NSX

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Leperflesh posted:

5k for dino oil, 10k+ for synthetic. Unless you've removed the filter and are driving through clouds of dust every day or routinely overheating your engine, there is no reason to change synthetic oil every 5k miles.

Your house was about $174,200 in 2024 dollars.

Well that makes me feel better a little bit, thanks Leper! :)

And good to know about the oil. I usually just use dino oil, never really messed with the synthetic stuff.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

Well that makes me feel better a little bit, thanks Leper! :)

And good to know about the oil. I usually just use dino oil, never really messed with the synthetic stuff.

It's better not to switch back and forth, and your car's manual will tell you if there is some minimum oil spec it has to meet. My VW's special specs basically require synthetic, and it also burns a bit of oil, so I am changing per manufacturer's recommended ~10k or 1 year schedule and that means it's the 1 year schedule actually for me because I never do 10k miles in this thing in one year. Your Toyota likely is fine with non-synthetic or with a blend because that's how they build their engines.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If I was wealthy enough to not care, I'd probably just move to the city and not have a car. I can rent the right vehicle for whatever at that point.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Kalli posted:

If I was wealthy enough to not care, I'd probably just move to the city and not have a car. I can rent the right vehicle for whatever at that point.

Yeah I’d just move to Munich and walk around eating brats and German dumpling 3x a day for the rest of my short rear end life.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
I just took delivery of a Toyota Grand Highlander Hybrid and am loving it. The price tag hurt like hell, but I've been saving for a new car since I bought my last one (a Subaru Legacy, before that a Mazda6) and had a big enough down payment to cut the price more than in half. Both lasted about 10 years before gremlins made me eager to trade them in. This one I'm kind of expecting my son to drive a lot when he gets his license in around 9 years, barring any issues.

Miss not having car payments though...

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I love the Toyota hybrids. They’re such top tier cars.

I love all cars. New cars are fun, old cars are fun. Restomods are fun.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Pron on VHS posted:

i bought a new CX-50 a few months ago, and it is the best car I have owned. I love it dearly, I saw another on the road in the same color and was amazed at how wonderful it looked.

GF has been not so subtly hinting that she wants me to get a new SUV or truck (which lol, I don’t have new car money) but if I had to pick, the CX-50 Off-Road model looks really fuckin neat and would be nice for camping/kayaking!

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

Your Toyota likely is fine with non-synthetic or with a blend because that's how they build their engines.

Any Toyota before 2009 came from the factory with conventional oil. After that, refer to the manual I guess.

And then there's stuff like my 18 Camry that takes 0w16, so I'm stuck with full synthetic. No dino juice came that thin. And these new Crowns and Corollas take 0w8 which seems like a violation of the laws of thermodynamics.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, my dad's running his Camry into the ground, has probably 250k miles on it, and I keep trying to talk him into getting a newer hybrid as his last car, but he just doesn't want to.

To be fair, my mother fills it every week with cans she scavenges on her walks, so I don't know.... boomers man.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
When my wife's car croaked, we bought a CX-5 for her, which has been solid. I personally didn't want an SUV, but she likes it. I drive a Mazda 3 Hatchback, which I love. I wish Mazda kept selling the 6 in the US. When I was in Europe I saw a new Mazda 6 Wagon, and man... what I wouldn't give to have that here :(

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Joke's on you, my '07 WRX requires a synthetic oil change every 3750 miles. :smug:

:shepicide:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

My friend got rid of her Miata and then bought a Fiat Spider and it's the exact same drat car.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

You know what Ford stands for?

Fix it again, Tony.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

FizFashizzle posted:

Fix it again, Tony.

Can't decide if this was intentional or not.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I know this rant is preaching to the choir but man I genuinely hate how American auto sales is an arms race for who has the biggest vehicle so we can supposedly be safer when another big vehicle inevitably runs into us. No cool, small cars anymore.

Also we've lost the plot on electric cars. So many giant fuckoff ones that do 0-60 in 3 seconds (with tire life under 10k miles). Just an absolute waste of my time.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Fix it again, Tony.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

C-Euro posted:

https://youtu.be/3AJCdmW33fM?si=eRSucSBxeGTy72-b

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I once saw a "I'd rather push a Chevy then drive a Ford" window decal on a beat up pickup after being convinced they were a myth from a bygone era.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

seiferguy posted:

When my wife's car croaked, we bought a CX-5 for her, which has been solid. I personally didn't want an SUV, but she likes it. I drive a Mazda 3 Hatchback, which I love. I wish Mazda kept selling the 6 in the US. When I was in Europe I saw a new Mazda 6 Wagon, and man... what I wouldn't give to have that here :(

CX5s are much better than anything in it's price range IMO

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I drive a Focus and if I’m between two large enough vehicles I’m always worried backing out of a parking spot, since I can’t see poo poo until I’m almost all the way out and I’ve seen some terrible parking lot drivers who will just go into your car way too fast or get pissed and start honking their horn.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Kalli posted:

I once saw a "I'd rather push a Chevy then drive a Ford" window decal on a beat up pickup after being convinced they were a myth from a bygone era.

Once in awhile you'll see Calvin peeing on a logo and man, way to miss that entire character's MO.

(I know Bill Watterson tried his best to stop those but ultimately it was an uphill battle he couldn't win)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Ok he is kind of on to something...

https://twitter.com/UsingCigarettes/status/1770517359817539949?t=9noiEQH996iiVxqYtTDh7A&s=19