Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
You can absolutely take a Compendium picture (and I recommend using hoverstone arrows for the best shot) but it's not a monster that you can have him make a statue of.

I have the two forms of Gannondorf that you can make statues of, and Shadow Ganon in my display currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

randomly clicked on this thread again and i'm sorry hover stone arrows ???

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

Fusing hoverstones to arrows in ToTK and firing them sticks a platform in midair, which is a great place to stand if you need to do things that require a surface underneath you, but don't have one nearby.

Such as taking really nice pictures of the dragons for your Compendium.

Hoverstones are also nice for getting good pictures of pristine Weapons when they're still in the shadow soldiers' hands.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

game owns

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

over two playthroughs i never thought of fusing hover stones to arrows, wtf

y'all, i think TotK might be good!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What the hell is a pristine weapon

maltesh
May 20, 2004

RCarr posted:

What the hell is a pristine weapon

In the Depths are Shadow Soldiers atop carns, which hold pristine weapons, with higher durability than the weapons you find on the surface, and greater damage. They twinkle when you find them, and have star icons in the weapon nenu

Normally, they contain base-type weapons; traveller or soldier gear. But if you take the weapon out of the ghostly hands, there's a chance that the next blood moon, a different type of pristine weapon of the same class (One hander, two hander, or spear) will appear instead, based on the location. (Pristine Zora weapons under Zoras Domain, for example). This can be savescummed, I believe the weapon is chosen when the location loads?

So if you want to fill out your Compendium manually (or just have a better class of base weapon for fusion ) every time you see one of those caerns, ultra hand the trash weapon away, and mark the caerns on your map if you're hunting a specific weapon.

I don't think the above is explained to the player anywhere in the game, unfortunately.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 20, 2024

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

maltesh posted:

In the Depths are Shadow Soldiers atop carns, which hold pristine weapons, with higher durability than the weapons you find on the surface, and greater damage. They twinkle when you find them, and have star icons in the weapon nenu

Normally, they contain base-type weapons; traveller or soldier gear. But if you take the weapon out of the ghostly hands, there's a chance that the next blood moon, a different type of pristine weapon of the same class (One hander, two hander, or spear) will appear instead, based on the location. (Pristine Zora weapons under Zoras Domain, for example). This can be savescummed, I believe the weapon is chosen when the location loads?

So if you want to fill out your Compendium manually (or just have a better class of base weapon for fusion ) every time you see one of those caerns, ultra hand the trash weapon away, and mark the caerns on your map if you're hunting a specific weapon.

I don't think the above is explained to the player anywhere in the game, unfortunately.

It definitely is not explained. Theyre weapons unaffected by the blight so have higher attack and durability.

In the depths below each of Zeldas monuments to the calamity are larger pillars with 3 ghosts/shadow soldiers (instead of the usual 1). Recommend marking them on your map cos picking up 3 pristine weapons rules

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Afaik the pristine spawns are actually affected by which decayed counterparts you've broken

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Fifty Three posted:

Afaik the pristine spawns are actually affected by which decayed counterparts you've broken

Yeah, that's also true. Meant to mention that.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

And here I was ignoring them shits because I didn't want a traveler's claymore

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Mulaney Power Move posted:

And here I was ignoring them shits because I didn't want a traveler's claymore

And if you ignore them after grabbing a few, they stay spawned in place so even if you start unlocking the good stuff the shadows are still holding the low tier weapons. If your weapon stock is already full, you need to either toss an existing one or use the ultrahand to grab the weapon and cause the shadow to despawn so a higher tier weapon spawns during the next blood moon.

It's one of the more poorly thought out things in the game, since it doesn't give you any type of natural feedback on how the mechanism works. I had no idea that was how you got the really good weapons until after I beat the game and read a guide.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Just finished the game again so I could get the aforementioned Gannon photos to make statues. I just need one of Phantom Gannon to make the triad.

You can’t make a statue of the gloom hands it turns out. Oh well

This is only the second time I’ve finished the game and it really cemented how much I love the story of ToTK. Zelda being a much more integral part of this compared to BoTW is very satisfying. Her sacrifice was so drat emotional.

Good game.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So I haven't slept yet in my BotW run. Does it even restore health?

I wish you could kill NPCs. I got a lil irrationally mad when dude wanted me to pay him a fee to partake in his gliding research.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

If you sleep in a bed it restores health, if you sleep by a fire it doesn’t

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:toot:

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

Coxswain Balls posted:

It's one of the more poorly thought out things in the game, since it doesn't give you any type of natural feedback on how the mechanism works. I had no idea that was how you got the really good weapons until after I beat the game and read a guide.

Don’t take this personally because others have said similar things, but this kind of sentiment bothers me. The pristine weapons are entirely superfluous to the game, they’re a little bit of ambience that has some reward if you try to figure them out. I don’t think it’s a design flaw that they aren’t explained - it’s a design choice that I found really cool. Not everything should be explained, then you end up with Navi.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

This is dope.

I made too many stupid statues of Bokoblins, is there a way to get rid of these and make room for others?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Veg posted:

This is dope.

I made too many stupid statues of Bokoblins, is there a way to get rid of these and make room for others?

You do get the ability to remove them eventually.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

JackBandit posted:

Don’t take this personally because others have said similar things, but this kind of sentiment bothers me. The pristine weapons are entirely superfluous to the game, they’re a little bit of ambience that has some reward if you try to figure them out. I don’t think it’s a design flaw that they aren’t explained - it’s a design choice that I found really cool. Not everything should be explained, then you end up with Navi.

Natural feedback doesn't mean a text prompt that explains exactly what's happening, and that isn't what I said. It could have been a neat mechanic that I would have liked to interact with to explore the depths even more, but the game structures it in a way that makes players ignore them after the first ten or twenty, instead of being something I might want to actively search for. I was wondering why these cool statues had nothing but lovely weapons right up to the endgame because I did a lot of depths exploring early on, and I know I'm not the only one.

A good design choice would have been something as simple as having them respawn with new unlocked gear as you re-enter the depths so they have an opportunity to hold equipment that would be interesting to explorers, and that doesn't require a Navi like you're implying. If your inventory is full you can't even get them to despawn without throwing away a perfectly good item in your inventory to trade for a traveller's sword, which is counterintuitive and makes people start to ignore them rather than interact with the mechanic and "figure them out".

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

Coxswain Balls posted:

If your inventory is full you can't even get them to despawn without throwing away a perfectly good item in your inventory to trade for a traveller's sword,

Pretty sure you can just ultrahand and chuck them away, or fuse them straight to a weapon in your inventory. Not that this refutes any of your other points!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Razor Jacksuit posted:

Pretty sure you can just ultrahand and chuck them away, or fuse them straight to a weapon in your inventory. Not that this refutes any of your other points!

For a while Kilton gets mad if you try and chuck them off the cliff IIRC but eventually it becomes a moot point. The other way to get rid of figures is eventually try to make more monster statures and Hudson will say he has no more materials to make more but says you can choose a statue to deconstruct to make more figures.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

For a while Kilton gets mad if you try and chuck them off the cliff IIRC but eventually it becomes a moot point. The other way to get rid of figures is eventually try to make more monster statures and Hudson will say he has no more materials to make more but says you can choose a statue to deconstruct to make more figures.

Razor's talking about the statues in the depths that spawn the pristine weapons, and yeah I pointed that out in my first post. That's good to know about the monster gallery though, I wasn't sure how to change it up so now I think I'm gonna mess around with making a diorama.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Coxswain Balls posted:

Razor's talking about the statues in the depths that spawn the pristine weapons, and yeah I pointed that out in my first post. That's good to know about the monster gallery though, I wasn't sure how to change it up so now I think I'm gonna mess around with making a diorama.

Whoops :sweatdrop:

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

You do get the ability to remove them eventually.

How? I've finished the game I thought. I finished his quest and beat the story.

Edit: you put them back on the pedestal and talk to Hudson. I see I see.

Veg fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 21, 2024

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

If you try to make an 11th statue he says there's a limit of ten and you'll need to break one down. This unlocks the ability.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

My kids have been working on finding all shrines and are down to literally the last one. Had to google a few but they probably found 125 or so with no help other than asking me to spam up/down and spot where there’s a lightroot but no shrine. They had to go to bed before getting the last one (and were BIG MAD) but should finish tomorrow.

It’s insane how dense the world is. I felt like I had thoroughly explored when I did the final fight like 6 months ago but there are SO MANY little vignettes associated with the more tucked away shrines.

For example the shrine sensor sent me behind a waterfall. There was a door that required I be in Yiga uniform, so I guess you have to have already done that whole thing? Then they challenged me to go all over the place finding these frog statues to become a Blademaster. It was like an hour of gameplay that led us to several caves and encounters in areas I thought I was done with. Another shrine wanted us to shield surf off a sky island and continue down a lengthy mountain course which took us a while to figure out. Endless stuff to discover. Game owns.

This rules and it rules that they made this possible :allears:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

God drat, they really did think of everything

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It would be really cool if you could put those statues in your house area. And set up a big rear end battle scene or something. Or just have lil critters in your living room, etc.

The space they give you for them is so small and limiting.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

RCarr posted:

It would be really cool if you could put those statues in your house area. And set up a big rear end battle scene or something. Or just have lil critters in your living room, etc.

The space they give you for them is so small and limiting.

Link’s Halloween decorations are the talk of Hyrule.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Has anybody made Loss yet out of those statues?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is there an agreed upon best way to farm rupees in the end game?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Farming raw gourmet meat and cooking 5 into a skewer is pretty lucrative.

Also you can make some quick cash selling clothing you don't want.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I got so much food from quests that I knew I was never going to use so I often sold those. Also sold a lot of gem stones in bulk to the gerudo who would pay above market value.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

If you cruise around in the sheikah gear (or whatever other stealth armor) it makes it a lot easier to get meat, grab critters, and spear those little blue rabbit guys that bleed rupees. But there's so many ore deposits lying around that alone should suffice. That's not really farming, though, just what you accumulate from normal gameplay. I imagine hunting for meat might be more efficient than trying to grind for ore deposits because I imagine they would suddenly seem a lot less plentiful once you try to actively grind for them.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

RCarr posted:

Is there an agreed upon best way to farm rupees in the end game?

For me it was:
Get the position of the Six Surface Rare Taluses, and mark them on your map.
Get a good two- handed weapon and fuse a hammer out of it (My preference is a Boulder Breaker with a Rare Talus Heart)
Hit up the five that can be killed with Spin to Win, and slay them. Go after the sixth if you feel like it.
Sell all the diamonds, but keep a few in reserve if you need to get another Boulder Breaker made, or want to reforge one of the other champion weapons.
Repeat every blood moon until comfortable, then only do it when you need diamonds or cash.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Just finished the game again so I could get the aforementioned Gannon photos to make statues. I just need one of Phantom Gannon to make the triad.
I had no idea the compendium carries over after you beat the game and reload, I thought anything after the point of no return would be erased

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Fifty Three posted:

I had no idea the compendium carries over after you beat the game and reload, I thought anything after the point of no return would be erased

Yeah all photos you take stick so to speak. Also if you are taking photos to make into statues or paraglider cloths make sure you do not add the new photo to your compendium so you can show it via your album to the necessary person instead (you cannot show Kilton or the dye guy your compendium)

edit: also I finally got the last paraglider cloth I was missing. Those particular bears he wants a photo of are a pain in the rear end to find but the cloth is worth it. OTOH the Stalnox cloth is very disappointing.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah all photos you take stick so to speak. Also if you are taking photos to make into statues or paraglider cloths make sure you do not add the new photo to your compendium so you can show it via your album to the necessary person instead (you cannot show Kilton or the dye guy your compendium)

Adding a photo to the Compendium doesn't automatically delete the original from the Purah Pad Album; it'll stay in there to show to Kilton until you manually delete it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've found cash to be pretty rare so far. And I hate killing animals unless they attack me so I never have a ton of meat. Do you ever get a bug net to make catching dragonflies and fairies easier?