Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wamsutta posted:

really wish there were loadouts in the game. Coming across a fight like scarlet, having to completely reconfigure materia on three characters and then remember where everything was after gets pretty annoying

Also, genuinely, how do you deliberately get to use synergy abilities? I’m 75 hours in and just kind of enjoy them as a happy accident when that menu option lights up and I get to use one

To the (I think) left of abilities there will usually be a little vertical rectangle thing. Those gives you a synergy charge. The total synergy charges appear under your party member names in the bottom right (they're pretty small, but you should find them if you look around). If you go into the Synergy Ability menu, you'll see how many charges you need on each character to use the ability.

Most ATB-using abilities give them, with the main exceptions being the elemental skills everyone can learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Let's ride for Cait sith also doesn't

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

am i not seeing the button, but when buying equipment, I can't buy and equip, i have to buy and go into equipment to find it to equip?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
If a party member is hanging out in the world and they have a relationship indicator above their head... does that mean you can improve that relationship by having the conversation that gets prompted when you move close to them? Or is it just showing their rep meter so you can know, in general?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ytlaya posted:

To the (I think) left of abilities there will usually be a little vertical rectangle thing. Those gives you a synergy charge. The total synergy charges appear under your party member names in the bottom right (they're pretty small, but you should find them if you look around). If you go into the Synergy Ability menu, you'll see how many charges you need on each character to use the ability.

Most ATB-using abilities give them, with the main exceptions being the elemental skills everyone can learn.

I think other actions granted by materia don't count, like Steal and Enemy Skill. If they did Yuffie would have max synergy ready to go almost immediately after a fight starts.

Taima posted:

If a party member is hanging out in the world and they have a relationship indicator above their head... does that mean you can improve that relationship by having the conversation that gets prompted when you move close to them? Or is it just showing their rep meter so you can know, in general?

If you get a conversation prompt, it can sometimes lead to a relationship improvement. Not all the time, but it's worth always talking to somebody you want to gain cred with.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Taima posted:

You can see the meter at any time when pressing L1. Why it's displayed without any prompt at these occasions no clue.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

KonvexKonkav posted:

You can see the meter at any time when pressing L1. Why it's displayed without any prompt at these occasions no clue.

It's to tell you that you can talk to them, and possible increase your relationship with them.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Intellectually, I understand that Chadley has a "World Intel collection has stalled" spiel as a player nudge. Emotionally, I want to dropkick the robotic bastard right into Sephiroth's rear end every time I hear it. World Intel collection has stalled because I walked into a new town and got railroaded into doing plot poo poo for 5 hours straight, Chadley, I didn't design the loving game.

Come to think of it, that really strict delineation between plot poo poo and open world is one of the game's few design flaws. You are either dicking around on an open map doing meaningless sidequests, or you've walked into the next "plot beat here" marker on your map and the walls have closed in on you and the open world won't be given back until you're done. No middle ground.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I get what you are saying but talking about sidequests as meaningless is how you get FF13. Sidequests in FF7R are generally pretty good

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Oh ok, yeah I see, thanks yall!

CapnAndy posted:

Intellectually, I understand that Chadley has a "World Intel collection has stalled" spiel as a player nudge. Emotionally, I want to dropkick the robotic bastard right into Sephiroth's rear end every time I hear it. World Intel collection has stalled because I walked into a new town and got railroaded into doing plot poo poo for 5 hours straight, Chadley, I didn't design the loving game.

Agreed. Chadley is easily one of the worst parts of the game, and ends up sticking out like a sore thumb. He represents a failure to integrate core game systems. He's basically a bandaid.

Honestly, Materia collection in this game, in general, is not great. Your options with materia are:

1) Find it, rarely
2) get it from Chadley
3) just buy it from a vending machine...

It's best to find it, but if you made most of the Materia found in the world, it would be kind of overwhelming, it would be everywhere. On top of that, they expect you to carry a complete set of Materia for every character, so to some degree, materia has to be a commodity, readily available.

That would be reasonable except there are many Materia that you only have 1 or 2 of, and those tend to be really powerful, so at least personally I find myself swapping quite a bit.

Frankly many of the systems in FF7 Rebirth are clunky. It's fine though. You could even argue it's part of the charm, but regardless, no clunkiness is bad enough to stop this from being an absolutely AWESOME loving game.

Really, I think this might be... the first quadruple A Game!!!! AAAA game, baby, lets go, stand on biznesssss :clint:

WaltherFeng posted:

Sidequests in FF7R are generally pretty good

They are so good. The only game with better side quests imo is Yakuza 0. And that's high praise. The other nice thing about side quests in FF7 remake is that they give absurd rewards. So you usually feel like it's worth it imo :shrug:

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The actions that don't grant synergy are the free elemental attacks found on the folio board, and almost every ATB action that regenerates ATB. So Enemy Skill abilities do generate Synergy, but Mug does not. If an action takes multiple ATB bars, it will generate that much synergy as well. This includes 2 bar uses on Barret's abilities.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
You can tell whether a spell/ability will give you Synergy Ability Points by looking at the icons in the bottom left when the ability is highlighted. The icon that looks like 2 vertical bars in different colors means "yes"

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Hyper Inferno posted:

If an action takes multiple ATB bars, it will generate that much synergy as well. This includes 2 bar uses on Barret's abilities.

Oh I didn’t realize this. I’ve deliberately avoided using 2 bars worth of his abilities sometimes because I thought id be losing a synergy charge

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

This is a strangely basic question but what the hell do the book vendors do? It seems like you can just... deploy your SP points? But you can do that whenever you are at one of the SP vending machines right? So this is just a person-version of that vending machine?

It's confusing as hell because the book vendors usually have a full building with all kinds of stuff inside, signaling that they are somehow important. I couldn't tell you why though...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Taima posted:

This is a strangely basic question but what the hell do the book vendors do? It seems like you can just... deploy your SP points? But you can do that whenever you are at one of the SP vending machines right? So this is just a person-version of that vending machine?

It's confusing as hell because the book vendors usually have a full building with all kinds of stuff inside, signaling that they are somehow important. I couldn't tell you why though...

Yeah they're just person versions of the skill book vending machines.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I suspect at one point in development the intended them to be a required place to do it and they decided eventually to just shove vending machines all over the place instead.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The existence of bookshops and folios is just kinda baffling because it's all so... pointless. Just. Have a skill tree. It's okay to just have a skill tree. It's also extremely funny that you are collecting actual books all the time and this is completely unrelated to bookshops.

It's also pretty funny that they invented this whole new Thing to replace the Sword Crystariums but didn't provide the one feature that people actually wanted; the ability to see at a glance what passives are active on each of your weapons... or at least, not from the equipment menu. You can see it in the Upgrade Weapons menu, a menu which notably does not allow you to upgrade your weapons, because that is not a thing that you can do.

...you know, I'm starting to think some of the menus make no loving sense.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fedule posted:

The existence of bookshops and folios is just kinda baffling because it's all so... pointless. Just. Have a skill tree. It's okay to just have a skill tree. It's also extremely funny that you are collecting actual books all the time and this is completely unrelated to bookshops.

It's also pretty funny that they invented this whole new Thing to replace the Sword Crystariums but didn't provide the one feature that people actually wanted; the ability to see at a glance what passives are active on each of your weapons... or at least, not from the equipment menu. You can see it in the Upgrade Weapons menu, a menu which notably does not allow you to upgrade your weapons, because that is not a thing that you can do.

...you know, I'm starting to think some of the menus make no loving sense.

Bonus points for there still being mistranslations, sometimes on abilities

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

They like to have diegetic reasons for things, even when that introduces some inconvenience, but maybe Chadley could whip up a portable folio editing machine next time around.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Hey uh Gi Nattack is destroying us, what do we do?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Tifa's synergy dodge makes her basically completely invulnerable to the second phase. She just dances around that whole thing.

I’m so bad with the defensive synergies. I always find it easier to do the perfect blocks (but I use that materia to help)

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The synergy skills are so good but it's like there's some kind of weird mental barrier that prevents me from ever being able to remember that they're there. I think this may be because they are so variable, and what buttons do what thing is dependent not only on who you're controlling but also who else is in the party and even what position in the party they're in, so it's this whole extra Thing on top of an already somewhat overwhelming system.

But god drat do several of them rule.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I'm curious how they'll handle the world intel stuff in the next game. We've got a few more new places to go, but we're also going to be revisiting a lot of old ones, too. Plus, we'll have our airship in the next game. Is Chadley going to find more towers for us to climb?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rhonne posted:

I'm curious how they'll handle the world intel stuff in the next game. We've got a few more new places to go, but we're also going to be revisiting a lot of old ones, too. Plus, we'll have our airship in the next game. Is Chadley going to find more towers for us to climb?

Chadley is probably going to pilot the ship

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rhonne posted:

Like in TotK, the towers will all just suddenly be placed with different towers.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Fedule posted:

The synergy skills are so good but it's like there's some kind of weird mental barrier that prevents me from ever being able to remember that they're there. I think this may be because they are so variable, and what buttons do what thing is dependent not only on who you're controlling but also who else is in the party and even what position in the party they're in, so it's this whole extra Thing on top of an already somewhat overwhelming system.

But god drat do several of them rule.

I frequently do the offensive ones by mistake because I meant to hold L1 and do an ability and the ones where cloud charges his sword with a buddy are ridiculous

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of the Highwind (chapter 4 spoilers): the Midgar Seventh are going to be the Highwind crew, right? Like they've gotta be

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

With Cait Sith's moogle mount is there a way to make it leave combat once summoned or does it have to get destroyed for that? I'm trying to learn the Moogle Kaboom skill but I've never seen it go off so I'm wondering what I'm missing

The Dodge 'n' Dive ability destroys the moogle, and detonates a primed Moogle Kaboom.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I think in the OG they become the submarine crew, right?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Harrow posted:

Speaking of the Highwind (chapter 4 spoilers): the Midgar Seventh are going to be the Highwind crew, right? Like they've gotta be

I have never given this a single thought before right this second but you are so obviously correct

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

It's possible but I also think they may not be because that way they can have an awesome return moment during the Return To Midgar.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ace Transmuter posted:

I think in the OG they become the submarine crew, right?

Oh poo poo, I forgot about that, that could be too

ImpAtom posted:

It's possible but I also think they may not be because that way they can have an awesome return moment during the Return To Midgar.

And also that!

Aw man part 3's gonna be cool

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I feel like Part 3 almost wants to be a different genre? Like this is the one of the three that wants to be an open world exploration type game. Part 3 could do something wildly different, I don't know quite what yet.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

IcePhoenix posted:

Chadley is probably going to pilot the ship

Cid has exchanged his 'angry old man' personality in exchange for a 'kindly southern gentleman' personality, except when it comes to pilot Chadley.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

I like new Cid. He's still a little cranky and rough around the edges without the domestic abuser bits

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

lines posted:

I feel like Part 3 almost wants to be a different genre? Like this is the one of the three that wants to be an open world exploration type game. Part 3 could do something wildly different, I don't know quite what yet.

Tactical RPG

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Like in TotK, the towers will all just suddenly be placed with different towers.

Chadley builds sky towers.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

lines posted:

shadow of the colossus knock-off where you fight all the weapons

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

lines posted:

Rebirth still follows the OG's idea of world map > town > world map > dungeon and repeat structure.

I don think part 3 is going to be something completely different except maybe this time they are going to let you decide in which order you visit different parts of the world. This makes sense if they are going to let you pilot Highwind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

WaltherFeng posted:

I get what you are saying but talking about sidequests as meaningless is how you get FF13. Sidequests in FF7R are generally pretty good
Oh, they are both good and fun. But the Word Intel stuff is meaningless. You don't get any extra opportunities to hang out with your party or learn anything, no ongoing subplots are being served (with the weak exception of the protorelic). The story does not change one jot or tittle if I do or do not beat up that group of fiends who are slightly different from the fiends I've already been beating up, and if I find or do not find a cache or transmuter chip, the only thing that changes is my inventory.

Contrast that to the actual sidequests, the ones you pick up on community boards. Those tend to be focused around a single party member and give them a scene or two to shine and show off their personalities, and you get a relationship boost at the end.