Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The ice skating on oil scene in Argylle feels like it's 17 hours long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A Beetlejuice sequel should've come out at the latest in 1995.

It's too late now.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

if you want the youth vote just make JBJr already

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Hope they don't call it On His Majesty's Secret Service

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This feels like a remake of the original to a degree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTNMt84KT0k

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

dr_rat posted:

I know it's been said before but with that title, if they don't get to do a third there's something wrong with this world.

I thought the joke was that you’d put the first and second movie’s titles together.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PriorMarcus posted:

I thought the OP was referring to Nolan because Tenent was loving horrendous.

Tenet was fine, I guess, but my opinion of it was skewed because Nolan arrogantly insisted on shoving it into theaters at the height of a global pandemic (because his contract called for him to get an absurd percentage of first-look theatrical gross).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I thought it was fine but I watched it on HBO and not in a peak Covid theater

I was kind of baffled that so many people were confused about the plot. It’s not more complicated than Inception.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Alan Smithee posted:

if you want the youth vote just make JBJr already

Only if thevuse the original definition of scum.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Is Romulus still going to be a direct-to-Hulu thing? It looks kinda cheap and stars no one, but so did Prey and that ruled so :shrug:

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

DeimosRising posted:

elem klimov eat your heart out

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of Come and See.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

FlamingLiberal posted:

I was kind of baffled that so many people were confused about the plot. It’s not more complicated than Inception.

The story of Tenet is an extremely straightforward riff on Bond-style spy thrillers, but the precise mechanics of the plot are literally incomprehensible.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

All the covid fog clouded their perceptions.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Byzantine posted:

All the covid fog clouded their perceptions.

this is also why people liked the last Batman movie

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

this is also why people liked the last Batman movie

I watched that film and I couldn't tell you a single thing about it apart from Robert Pattinson is in it. I wasn't even drunk or high, I just can't recall even one plot point or other actor. It's like a 2.5 hour chunk of my long term memory is gone.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The story of Tenet is an extremely straightforward riff on Bond-style spy thrillers, but the precise mechanics of the plot are literally incomprehensible.

I still haven't seen Tenet because "Inception, but with time fuckery instead of dreams" sounds unbearable to me.

Quote-Unquote posted:

I watched that film and I couldn't tell you a single thing about it apart from Robert Pattinson is in it. I wasn't even drunk or high, I just can't recall even one plot point or other actor. It's like a 2.5 hour chunk of my long term memory is gone.

Sorry about your Long Covid.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Quote-Unquote posted:

One random extra's uncle has a business installing carpet and the movie's mysteries resolve based on that fact.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Grendels Dad posted:

I still haven't seen Tenet because "Inception, but with time fuckery instead of dreams" sounds unbearable to me.

Inception is legit good; it’s just doing some relatively-straightforward Matrix/eXistenZ/Sucker Punch “levels of reality” stuff.

Tenet is not, actually, a time-travel movie - a film where you explore logical problems related to causality. The conceit of Tenet is that, outside the broadest strokes, there is no causality whatsoever.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Tenet is not, actually, a time-travel movie - a film where you explore logical problems related to causality. The conceit of Tenet is that, outside the broadest strokes, there is no causality whatsoever.

I guess that could be interesting. Naturally, I have no way of imagining how such a movie could be good.

NorgLyle posted:

One random extra's uncle has a business installing carpet and the movie's mysteries resolve based on that fact.

Well, no. It helps Batman discover something that is five minutes away from happening no matter what. Also, that guy showed up throughout the movie and he has brass balls.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tenet manages to solve the big problem with Inception by not grinding to a halt for a full 30 minutes so the characters can explain what you're about to see in painstaking detail, while at the same time being a much worse movie in basically every way.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I've watched "The Batman" 3 times and enjoyed it more each time.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

I've watched "The Batman" 3 times and enjoyed it more each time.

:hai:

I had started rewatching it in response to the dementia poster and was just stopping to post that it was in fact cool and good.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Grendels Dad posted:

That's... Actually entirely possible. I got COVID (for the second time) a week after watching The Batman.

I'll have to watch it again.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I watched it and barely remember it outside of around six or seven scenes myself, I don't think it's dementia.

Weirdly I still think that every individual element works well, and I like all the performances, and I would recommend it to people. But for whatever reason it's a teflon movie for me; the closest analogy I can think of is being served a dessert, loving the concept, genuinely liking each individual element, but as a whole just thinking it's ok. Which is not something that usually happens to me re: movies.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Quote-Unquote posted:

That's... Actually entirely possible. I got COVID (for the second time) a week after watching The Batman.

I'll have to watch it again.

Dang, I'm sorry.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I watched it and barely remember it outside of around six or seven scenes myself, I don't think it's dementia.

Weirdly I still think that every individual element works well, and I like all the performances, and I would recommend it to people. But for whatever reason it's a teflon movie for me; the closest analogy I can think of is being served a dessert, loving the concept, genuinely liking each individual element, but as a whole just thinking it's ok. Which is not something that usually happens to me re: movies.

There is a certain episodic nature to events that I might have to look out for after another rewatch, but I definitely feel this. It's a movie you could make six trailers for and they would all feel different. The two things I like most about the movie are how goofily it works in those Adam West refrences into its Se7en aesthetics and plot, and just how front and center Batman is. He's just there, for everybody to look at. Look at his dumb chest symbol and arm guard arrows, he's gonna use those to gently caress you up!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I feel like the problem of CIvil War goes beyond the person making it. "The country is so divided now!" is just such a milquetoast observation at this point, it's been done to death in various attempts at political satire since... 2001 at earliest. And while few if any of those satires have been actually good*, doing it seriously is also difficult because so much of what's in the modern current events election-sphere is absurd nonsense. You get the feeling that everyone's too drat close to what's going on to step back and really put anything in context or perspective.

So you get stuff like this trying to bypass commentary altogether, which- I guess you want the immediacy of "it's in your backyard!" ("you" being the American moviegoer) but it's hard to do that and also just completely avoid anything that's happened in the last 5-10 years.

Though it also kinda reminds me of how with Red Dawn, even the fairly conservative John Milius was less interested in the "The Commies are Invading!" angle and more just making a film about modern guerilla warfare. That film also had a lot of ink spilled on the premise, and when all was said and done it just about broke even.

*There has been good satire in this millennium but it tends to be less about who's in office and more about other things- Sorry to Bother You is about dehumanization of labor, etc. This may be a matter of personal taste, though, I just inherently cringe whenever characters start to be obvious Red State/Blue State types.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
If The Batman had just ended at the 2 hour mark (and I mean in like any fashion: hastily filmed denouement, hard cut to credits, projector error) it would have been great, but there's a whole hour after that that is just extraneous and bad that made me never want to watch it again. It blows all the good will the movie built up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Early viewers of Late Night with the Devil are saying that the movie uses quite a bit of AI art.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Batman is weird in that it LOOKS amazing, SOUNDS amazing (music and sound), and has some cool scenes (I like the opening where criminals are jumping at shadows), but yeah, the length and writing really hurt it.

I think of it as a good movie and have watched it four times, but at the 2/3 mark it hits a drag

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Grendels Dad posted:

Dang, I'm sorry.

lol you're good mate. First time I had COVID I was really sick, like thought I might die kinda sick. Second time after vaccination and booster I pretty much just slept for two days then felt fine. I woke up and it turned out there had been a double murder on the next street over and I missed the police blocking off the whole area, searching all the bins for evidence and interviewing people.

gently caress that sounds like a horror movie plot. Am I the killer?!

no, but it does go some way to explain why I can't remember The Batman at all

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

Early viewers of Late Night with the Devil are saying that the movie uses quite a bit of AI art.

Huge bummer.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I think I've said it here before but The Batman feels the most like an adaptation of one of those big 90s event comics stories. Like, I know Nolan has cited The Long Halloween as an inspiration for The Dark Knight, but watching The Batman just felt like I was watching something that translated the spirit of Long Halloween directly to the screen (even though the plot is completely separate).

Also, now I really want to dig out my old copy of Long Halloween and read it again.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Batman is alright. I did kinda like that it felt more like Adam West's Batman in that he's just like, a guy. A public figure you could bump into on the streets more than some weird urban legend like most other live action movies have him out to be. But other than that, I can't really muster any passion for it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

muscles like this! posted:

Specifically, people are saying the interstitials and title cards are AI. It sucks rear end.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The Batman's best stuff is The Penguin.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Specifically, people are saying the interstitials and title cards are AI. It sucks rear end.

That loving blows. I hate that will probably sink the film, at least critically, but it also sounds like they could excise them for home video.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Rochallor posted:

If The Batman had just ended at the 2 hour mark (and I mean in like any fashion: hastily filmed denouement, hard cut to credits, projector error) it would have been great, but there's a whole hour after that that is just extraneous and bad that made me never want to watch it again. It blows all the good will the movie built up.

I agree, it copied one of the worst things from the Nolan Batman movies, having an extra act after the movie ends.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

MacheteZombie posted:

The Batman's best stuff is The Penguin.

I am still baffled they got Colin Farrell when Richard Kind is right there.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Thats a Matt Reeves movie for you. The parts are great, the whole, not so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Margot Robbie's production company is developing a movie based on 'The Sims' video game franchise. I was not even aware of this, but the article mentions that there was a previous attempt to make a Sims movie that started production around 2007 but never got anywhere.

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-sims-movie-in-the-pipe-from-loki-director-margot-robbies-company-to-produce

I have no idea how you would make this work when the whole point is to make your own family and just kind of do whatever you want. There are no characters.