Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Private Speech posted:

There's a couple different ones and I'm not sure if Grombar has any special ones, but I think only trolls cause devastation, the rest mostly add autonomy (and sometimes increase development too). Still kindof bad but not necessarily the worst, as long as you remember to decrease it later.

Oh yeah, my bad, it was autonomy, not devastation. Mostly from goblins and orcs. Absolutely sucked because my two highest dev provinces were generating 0 income and manpower. Read event effects, folks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
Tinto Talks #4

Not too much in this Dev Dairy, confirming that the types of government will be more or less the same, except for one thing...

EU3 sliders are back, in incremental form!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I resent Peasant Power -20% being in green

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.
I try not to get too excited for game releases but everything I'm seeing from there dev diaries is making me really hopeful.

It looks like based on how they are presenting things here it won't be "Press button -> dev go up 1 and you get all the taxes from it". It will be more "Press Button -> wait as the modifiers scale up over some years based on some other stats you have".

Drone Incognito fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 20, 2024

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Frionnel posted:

Oh yeah, my bad, it was autonomy, not devastation. Mostly from goblins and orcs. Absolutely sucked because my two highest dev provinces were generating 0 income and manpower. Read event effects, folks!

Autonomy isn't that bad, the increases don't come all that often so it's not an issue if you've got passive autonomy decrease (high crown land mostly) or are decreasing it manually.

Plus having the opportunity to decrease it manually is super handy after absolutism comes in, since it's effectively a cost-free way to bump it. Almost like a reward at that point.

The real issue is that decreasing autonomy is buried in province menus or macro builder.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Sybot posted:

Finally Paradox is ready to move past its current dark ages and enter a gaming Renaissance.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I tried hacking the URL to see if there were any other regions but alas, just a bunch of other project dev diary headline images.

Anyway, I'm seeing the color groups on this map as states. I am absolutely loving the terrain with all the blocked areas (some of them are lakes). I have to wonder how they will handle forts...
I love seeing the passes through the middle of the Caucausus and the desert wasteland being close to the mountains in northern Palestine/southern Syria. I'm really hoping the terrain in the mountains and desert can truly make some places so painful to take that some little powers can last longer against big chunguses like the Ottomans.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Hmm, just in this dev diary they have mentioned Legitimacy, Republican Tradition, Devotion, Horde Unity, Country Rank, Government Reforms, Estates, Parliament and Admnistrative Efficiency. I wonder what game will this be.

(Simply officially announce it at this point, lmao)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Sybot posted:

Tinto Talks #4

Not too much in this Dev Dairy, confirming that the types of government will be more or less the same, except for one thing...

"Not all countries are countries that are based on owning locations on a map though; more on that in later development diaries."

What does it meeeeeeaaaaannn!?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It might be trying to better represent tribes?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I tried hacking the URL to see if there were any other regions but alas, just a bunch of other project dev diary headline images.

Anyway, I'm seeing the color groups on this map as states. I am absolutely loving the terrain with all the blocked areas (some of them are lakes). I have to wonder how they will handle forts...
I love seeing the passes through the middle of the Caucausus and the desert wasteland being close to the mountains in northern Palestine/southern Syria. I'm really hoping the terrain in the mountains and desert can truly make some places so painful to take that some little powers can last longer against big chunguses like the Ottomans.

What happened to Bulwar!?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MonsieurChoc posted:

"Not all countries are countries that are based on owning locations on a map though; more on that in later development diaries."

Tribes/hordes.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I imagine it's that instead of countries being named based off of the location they live in they are based off of their ruling dynasty or something like that.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Based on the new map posted, it is apparently no later than 1350. People keep finding small inconsistencies with 1337 but it's definitely in the right ballpark

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

cheetah7071 posted:

Based on the new map posted, it is apparently no later than 1350. People keep finding small inconsistencies with 1337 but it's definitely in the right ballpark
You can see country borders on the map I posted. They're the thicker lines that do not respect the color-coded "states". E.g. look at Thrace/near Constantinople. Thicker line runs from the northernmost purple region on the coast "Ahtopol"(?) west along th blue then purple state lines. Meanwhile across the Bosphorus the green state directly east of Constantinople looks biscected by a thicker line; south of Constantinople the area labled "Biga" has a thick outline.

I'm too lazy to try to compare them to maps of different dates though lol

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Apparently the country in the northwest of Anatolia is one the Ottomans (their eastern neighbor) annexed in 1345. So that's the upper bound

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

MonsieurChoc posted:

Apart from tribes and hordes, it might be merchant republics or theocracies, where you only actually own Venice, and then have ports and forts across the rest of the world, or you own Rome and have cardinals to do your bidding.

Alternatively, given that it's in a paragraph talking about country names like '“Crown of Aragon,” “Kingdom of Sweden,” “Principality of Wales.”, it might be about forming countries, like any Muslim country with enough development being able to declare itself the Caliphate.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I did think that the switch to smaller minimum size of territories might have to do with trying to represent port-and-fort colonization, or situations where people conquered one city and nothing else. Like how Macau and Singapore are tiny little provinces in eu4

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

To be fair Singapore and Hong Kong aren't that small, 730 and 1100 square km land area respectively. Comparable to some of the euro territories easily.

Macau kindof is though.

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

Private Speech posted:

To be fair Singapore and Hong Kong aren't that small, 730 and 1100 square km land area respectively. Comparable to some of the euro territories easily.

Macau kindof is though.

Ceuta and the Portuguese factories along the African coast would be much better as cities rather than whole provinces (let alone the Venietian treatment as an Adriatic Atlantis)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the world map they posted didn't have island venice. I do wonder if they'll have some sort of 'this location is essentially impossible to siege without a navy' modifier for it, which they could reuse in the netherlands

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There have been times too that chivalric orders have been non-territorial states.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CommonShore posted:

There have been times too that chivalric orders have been non-territorial states.

There's arguably still one around today! The Order of Malta is kind of state-like; in that it can issue passports, and enter into diplomatic relations with countries, but it has no territory

zhuge liang
Feb 14, 2019
Very strange to have a hundred year overlap with CK. I'd love to know the rationale. I don't think the Late Middle Ages has ever been done particularly well in EU and EU4 made the correct choice to jettison most of it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
one plausible speculation is that they're also ending earlier, moving the 1700s out of scope

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Do we have dev confirmation that this unnamed game is set on earth?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

cheetah7071 posted:

one plausible speculation is that they're also ending earlier, moving the 1700s out of scope
This is my guess. EU4 just does not model Napoleonic warfare at all so I think they would be smart to move EU5 out of that scope. I'm thinking maybe they feel like if they are going to model how armies work in 1450 they can/might as well start the game when that type of army management was common, which lets them start in ppbbbttt 1345 (thanks cheetah7071)?

The Napoleonic era is popular enough in its own right they could probably make a game that covers whenever EU4 ends till V3 1836 (when V3 starts).

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

they should have eu5 go until 1788 and then expand vicky's timeline backward to 1789

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I’d guess most of all EU4 campaigns don’t last beyond 1700 (even once you throw out the million games that restart before 1445). the late game runs slow and is kind of monotonous to play anyway.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I played to 1821 in my very first run when I was still learning the game and didn't really break away into being unstoppable until like 1750. Since then, nope. Even my one world conquest finished by 1707.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Having a European endgame crisis of an alt-30 Year’s War and an Asian endgame crisis of “The Empire is collapsing” to cap off 250-300 years of gameplay and then just sandbox until a fixed end date of 1700 would work pretty well imo. then we can get a proper March of The Eagles 2 that goes up until Vicky times

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
I play into the 1700s when my options for completing an achievement are either snake across the globe or wait for ignore coring distance.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

their metrics told them that people usually stop their games in the mid-late 1600s so they changed the start date to like a hundred years earlier so the game will end in the early 1700s and so people will play all of it

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 21, 2024

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Nobody plays Crusader Kings past 1300 too so might as well.

Make March of the Eagles a main PDX title going from 1750-1836.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Frionnel posted:

Nobody plays Crusader Kings past 1300 too so might as well.

Make March of the Eagles a main PDX title going from 1750-1836.
Yeah I would love to see a dedicated Napoleonic PDX game.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Very similar to 1337 maps

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Here's a mockup of the political map in that image, following the solid black lines:

And again, with what the person who made this assumes the countries are:

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I wonder how they'll stop Byzantium from eating Anatolia in the first 50 years.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I still think a post-Battle of Varna start is the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I wonder how they'll stop Byzantium from eating Anatolia in the first 50 years.
They would need either a bunch of kludgy disasters/privileges/etc. or a robust way to model administrative decrepitude and lack of control over its own trade (IIRC, Genoa and Venice controlled much of it and enriched themselves at the empire's expense). Byzantium was already a pretty unhealthy state at the time, IIRC.