Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I played Kiwami Chapter 4* last night, 10/10 experience

*I didnt do a single story mission, I just ran around doing sidequests for 5 hours. I saved quit outside Serena so I would remember to go do at least one story mission lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Me: welp I got a few hours I'm gonna try to power through man who erased his name so I can move on to infinite wealth.

Me in 3 hours: I'm the champion of slot cars!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Solenna posted:

They are totally legit screenshots from Kiwami.

This is the most accurate video of Yakuza 0 that I've even seen: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WQS4RMDbHvo

This is my favorite Y0 video, the editing is sublime. (very early spoilers I guess)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejxklDwvGx0

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

Me: welp I got a few hours I'm gonna try to power through man who erased his name so I can move on to infinite wealth.

Me in 3 hours: I'm the champion of slot cars!

God I love pocket racer, that and the cabaret management minigame (specifically where you run the club, not the one where you slowly walk around a room) are like, two of my favorite little things in Yakuza.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Huh, a really cool thing in Tomb Raider 4 that I never noticed, because when I was playing it years ago it was the only game I'd played in the series and I was just a kid so didn't notice this sort of thing - it's the first game where when you fire the pistols you see the ammo casings eject and clatter to the floor.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I liked 3 a lot thematically, but the gameplay was kind of rough imo. But tbh I just tossed it down to easy and enjoyed the parts I liked.

the combat in 3 is my big beef, but the setting and story are tons of fun.

mycot posted:

This is my favorite Y0 video, the editing is sublime. (very early spoilers I guess)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejxklDwvGx0

thank you! i've been ltrying to find this one for ages and couldn't remember the title.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Always remember; Kazuma Kiryu has never killed anyone

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm 40 hours in and think Rebirth might be the funniest game I've ever played.

Those translators deserve a raise.

everyone in rebirth is the most extra person alive. it's a global warming metaphor because nobody has any chill. it's great

e: ever since FFXV there's been a large contingent of SE's localization department that makes their characters talk like a cross between a looney toon and a wily elf or something, all hyper-exuberant dramatic wordplay, and somehow it never gets irritating

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Non Compos Mentis posted:

This is true. There's even a Kiryu Memorial Wing in the Kamurochō hospital caring for all the people he hasn't killed

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Oxxidation posted:

everyone in rebirth is the most extra person alive. it's a global warming metaphor because nobody has any chill. it's great

e: ever since FFXV there's been a large contingent of SE's localization department that makes their characters talk like a cross between a looney toon and a wily elf or something, all hyper-exuberant dramatic wordplay, and somehow it never gets irritating

I get the feeling that might just be the default tone, it's anime after all. Despite the weebs thinking it all has to be deadly serious, the default is usually larger than life melodrama, with seemingly stoic and reserved characters just playing the straight man.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

It works for Dragon Quest, where every character is obligated to have an overpronounced accent and crack a pun every other sentence.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

I'm pretty sure this is like my fourth post in this thread about it but I can't help it every time a quote like that comes up. In the PS2 Minority Report game you're a dude accused of precrime murder and you go on the lamb to prove your innocence and poo poo right? But they also wanted to show off their cool particle engine that had really neat shattering glass so there's tons of defenestration going on. You fight in those superhuge skyscrapers and poo poo and can rather effortlessly hurl motherfuckers out those windows, and then in the next cutscene your character will loudly and sincerely proclaim that he would never murder anyone.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That was obviously self-defense

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Plebian Parasite posted:

It works for Dragon Quest, where every character is obligated to have an overpronounced accent and crack a pun every other sentence.

Cor blimey!

Yangus is my hero.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Bussamove posted:

Cor blimey!

Yangus is my hero.

What does this weird pose Yangus does indicate?

When I played this game back in the 00s, I thought maybe he was making a gay joke? It's the kind of body language one might have used back then to make fun of the gays. Was it something else in Japanese that makes more sense about why he also makes that weird pose when he says it?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Weird Pumpkin posted:

God I love pocket racer, that and the cabaret management minigame (specifically where you run the club, not the one where you slowly walk around a room) are like, two of my favorite little things in Yakuza.
I love how they got 5 games deep into the series then had to retroactively insert how much Kiryu loving loves pocket racer. :allears:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like how elaborate the first non-tutorial secret is in Tomb Raider 4 in the Tomb of Set. Tomb raider 1 you climbed up a ledge and into a hidden hole and got a medpack or something. Tomb Raider 4 you swing on a rope into a room with a massive blade apparatus that you have to jump against it's path to navigate the room so it's constant danger, and there are a ton of goodies that ends with an Uzi less than an hour into the game. It definitely feels that 4 dumps way more weapons on you from the start given how easy it was to miss every non-pistol weapon in 3.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

credburn posted:

When I played this game back in the 00s, I thought maybe he was making a gay joke? It's the kind of body language one might have used back then to make fun of the gays. Was it something else in Japanese that makes more sense about why he also makes that weird pose when he says it?

I think it’s just a silly pose he does because King Trode is a weird goblin man that’s one step removed from a earlygame miniboss
appearance-wise that usually tends to just seemingly teleport behind Yangus out of nowhere.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's a "drawing away from the scary thing, almost running but frozen in shock" pose.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

credburn posted:

Its more of a girly-man "eek a mouse!" pose than outright gay, though there's overlap there obviously. I don't have the full context but it seems like the joke is that he's not as tough as he acts and needs a second to regain his composure when startled.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

BioEnchanted posted:

I like how elaborate the first non-tutorial secret is in Tomb Raider 4 in the Tomb of Set. Tomb raider 1 you climbed up a ledge and into a hidden hole and got a medpack or something. Tomb Raider 4 you swing on a rope into a room with a massive blade apparatus that you have to jump against it's path to navigate the room so it's constant danger, and there are a ton of goodies that ends with an Uzi less than an hour into the game. It definitely feels that 4 dumps way more weapons on you from the start given how easy it was to miss every non-pistol weapon in 3.

Are you going to play Angel of Darkness next?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

oldpainless posted:

Are you going to play Angel of Darkness next?

Please don't encourage self-harm on the innocent.

(Angel of Darkness is not a good game)

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Angel of Darkness is mostly fine but not good, most of its problems are from being unfinished and trying to push a boring guy as a replacement/spinoff character. Still more interesting than the survivor reboots.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Besides, Chronicles is the next one after 4.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Shadow of the Tomb Raider is real good.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Very true.

They all just wish they were dead.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Biplane posted:

Shadow of the Tomb Raider is real good.

Yeah definitely. The best of the Tomb Reboots.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Croccers posted:

I love how they got 5 games deep into the series then had to retroactively insert how much Kiryu loving loves pocket racer. :allears:

What are you talking about, Kiryu has always been a fan of <POCKET_RACING>. Just ask his long-time friend, <FIGHTER>

I do love that it shows Kiryu in the Pocket Racing scene, 17 years ago, reliving the glory days. It's still him competing against three 10 year olds. Kiryu seems like the poster child of "You said not to go easy on the kids, so I showed them No Mercy"

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
The side story where Pocket Circuit Fighter is looking to retire and needs an heir to the Pocket Circuit Fighter legacy, and Kiryu finds one of the kids he used to race against who is now grown, married, and a successful businessman and Kiryu gaslights him into giving it all up to prop up a hobby he had for probably six months tops when he was 10.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

bawk posted:

What are you talking about, Kiryu has always been a fan of <POCKET_RACING>. Just ask his long-time friend, <FIGHTER>

I do love that it shows Kiryu in the Pocket Racing scene, 17 years ago, reliving the glory days. It's still him competing against three 10 year olds. Kiryu seems like the poster child of "You said not to go easy on the kids, so I showed them No Mercy"

lol big "uncle destroying his nephews and neices at SF" energy. whatup uncle jer? it's time for a rematch, bitch.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SkeletonHero posted:

The side story where Pocket Circuit Fighter is looking to retire and needs an heir to the Pocket Circuit Fighter legacy, and Kiryu finds one of the kids he used to race against who is now grown, married, and a successful businessman and Kiryu gaslights him into giving it all up to prop up a hobby he had for probably six months tops when he was 10.

lol I gotta play yakuza

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

jokes posted:

lol I gotta play yakuza

Yakuza is a game that is deadly serious.

In the main storyline. The side stories are some of the most batshit insane things you've ever seen in a game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

Yakuza is a game that is deadly serious.

In the main storyline. The side stories are some of the most batshit insane things you've ever seen in a game.

They now.

The main storylines are also some of the most batshit insane things you've ever seen in a game.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I mean, the third chapter of Kiwami had me fistfighting a few dozen dudes while trying to escape from a funeral, culminating in a boss fight where I knocked out Punch Out's Bald Bull with a waist-high garden lamp

e: i'd say the game's main story seems to have incredibly serious consequences, because it has some pretty :stonklol: moments even for how early on I am

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

more games should batshit like yakuza. like in a fun like a dragon way, not an annoying way

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

RareAcumen posted:

I think Kiwami 1 is perfectly fine and feels even better than 0 combat wise because your heart level doesn't affect your attack speed but everyone has their own opinion on it.

Anyway, I'm playing Like a Dragon: Ishin! And I appreciate that quite often NPCs will run up to you asking for your help when someone's getting harassed because you're A) Clearly armed with two katanas B) Like 6' 6" or something and built like the Statue of David.

One of the funniest things in the Yakuza series to me is that people constantly rag on how old Kiryu and Ichiban are. Just a non-stop wave of people going "Shut up old man" to a guy built like a brick shithouse who then picks up a scooter and beats 3 people to the ground with it.
Its kinda a shame there isn't a thing where by late game Yakuza that enemy gang members aren't fleeing from him in the streets like he's pacman with a power pill.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I am a man entering my 40s in just two months, and Ichiban is a great inspiration to me. If he can rise to such heights after waking up in the gutter, then so I can!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The most terrifying sight in the world is Kiryu standing beside a bike rack.

Hell will be a kindness compared to the violence about to be visited upon you with a fixed-speed.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

CitizenKain posted:

One of the funniest things in the Yakuza series to me is that people constantly rag on how old Kiryu and Ichiban are. Just a non-stop wave of people going "Shut up old man" to a guy built like a brick shithouse who then picks up a scooter and beats 3 people to the ground with it.
Its kinda a shame there isn't a thing where by late game Yakuza that enemy gang members aren't fleeing from him in the streets like he's pacman with a power pill.

It helps if you remember every single person in Yakuza is dumb enough to think that while their like ten gang friends might have just gotten beaten half to death by Kiryu, it's them, Angry Man, who will finally be the one to take down the Dragon of Dojima.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Was going to write a post but just got word that there's a guy who's made it so far into our compound that he must've kicked the poo poo out of dozens of trained criminals. I'm just gonna go fight him real quick then come back, probably won't be that hard to beat up.

edit: shatterd evey bon in my bodu with a couch

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 02:17 on Mar 21, 2024