Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

babypolis posted:

i may have a warped perspective as a teacher, but if someone is your student you have a responsability towards them, regardless of your personal feelings or how awful their vibes might be
For Christ's sake, get a better gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

what

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

babypolis posted:

i may have a warped perspective as a teacher, but if someone is your student you have a responsability towards them, regardless of your personal feeling or how awful they might be

Sure, there's a reason the son wasn't upset by the bully merely being in his class, which definitely 100% inarguably was her responsibility. It is not her responsibility to SPECIFICALLY be THE person to mentor THIS kid though. There was nothing keeping her from talking the bully up to one of the other teachers as a mentee.

Also:

babypolis posted:

yeah and shes not hurting her son by doing her job. hes the one choosing to take it personally
Yes she is, hope this helps.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

babypolis posted:

yeah and shes not hurting her son by doing her job. hes the one choosing to take it personally

She literally could have picked a different kid. Instead, she picked her kid's bully. Specifically. She is picking to do extra for her kid's bully when she could have picked any kid that signed up and was not her kid's bully. And then she's punishing her kid for being unhappy.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

babypolis posted:

i may have a warped perspective as a teacher, but if someone is your student you have a responsability towards them, regardless of your personal feelings or how awful their vibes might be

She also has a responsibility as her son's parent and teacher to protect him from bullying. Maybe when she manages to fulfill that responsibility she can worry about taking on other ones.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Someone's bored this afternoon.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

babypolis posted:

There are ways that she could fulfill that responsibility that don't include trampling on her child's traumatized psyche. For example, instead of specifically choosing to mentor her child's bully and repeatedly demonstrating to her child that she values the bully over her relationship with him, she could have chosen to let any one of dozens of other teachers mentor the bully.

She is 100% virtue-signalling and pretending that she is the only savior who can change the bully's life. There are lots of teachers who could help the kid. Her child only has had one mom.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Paragraphs added

AITA for getting mad at people for not wanting to take trips with me or drive me to places ??

Dennis Duffy level insufferable here, with none of the charm

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

ReelBigLizard posted:

As a recovering programmer I know I could write a set of regexes that would solve these problems in client systems. But then I'd have to relearn regex for the 457th time.

Jamie Zawinski posted:

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

reignonyourparade posted:

Sure, there's a reason the son wasn't upset by the bully merely being in his class, which definitely 100% inarguably was her responsibility. It is not her responsibility to SPECIFICALLY be THE person to mentor THIS kid though. There was nothing keeping her from talking the bully up to one of the other teachers as a mentee.

Also:

Yes she is, hope this helps.

its her responsability to do her job to the best of her abilities, and if that includes mentoring someone she feels she can help not doing would fail that resposability

but whatever everyone clearly disagrees with me so ill drop it

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

babypolis posted:

its her responsability to do her job to the best of her abilities, and if that includes mentoring someone she feels she can help not doing would fail that resposability

I guess we're back to "don't have kids" then.

Also for god's sake, learn to spell.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

babypolis posted:

but whatever everyone clearly disagrees with me so ill drop it

Maybe don't go around telling people that you're a teacher.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I don't understand how can you have a whole year planned out already of trips.

What's there to not understand? The vast majority of people have work and a limited amount of holidays each year. People have a handful of weeks to travel, if that. And sometimes those weeks get booked. Does OP work at all?

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I find that absurdly stupid as he can't even take off two or three days from his wife to go travel with me. He is married so he can see her anytime versus me where we only get to see each other sometimes.

Lmao yeah, that's how it works lol.

I don't know how old OP is, but this is honestly extremely normal stuff as you enter your late-twenties/early-thirties. People get jobs, people get married, your parents are old AF. You cant just suddenly take time off to hang out for days. Often you just have to figure out poo poo on your own.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

oh they're definately a teacher

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

babypolis posted:

babypolis posted:

ill gently caress the rapey sister OP

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011
Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use mentoring." Now their son has two bullies.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I also have doubts about the quality of her mentoring if her first reaction to her kid being unhappy is to punish him until he pretends he's fine.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

babypolis posted:

(speaking as someone who works in k-12) it's really difficult to balance professional responsibilities as a teacher with what you owe to your own family. especially if you work with kids who have a lot of needs and struggles. in this case mom's got the balance wrong and is gonna lose her child as a result.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

babypolis posted:

it's not her personal feelings though. it's her son's feelings, which is a different thing entirely. you're letting the idea of what you agreed to as a teacher get in the way of the fact that if you had a family, they didn't take the same oath.

The student is her responsibility, but if they were on an airplane together and the oxygen masks dropped, she'd be expected to take care of herself first. this is because it's understood that if she passes out, she can help no one.

By the same token, destroying one's own family - the source of one's stability in home life - is going to make someone less able to be a good teacher.

You have to put the mask on yourself before you save others. You need to care for your own home life above all else, or else you become less able to support your students overall.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

babypolis posted:

teacher mom is NTA, at least for the mentoring part. she has a resposability towards that kid and should fulfill it as best as possible regardless of what her son thinks

Yeah focus on some rear end in a top hat bully instead of her own son. She has a responsibility towards her loving CHILD not his bully

babypolis posted:

You would be a lovely parent to prioritize a random kid over your own. Please don't have kids and maybe rethink being a teacher

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Midnight Voyager posted:

I also have doubts about the quality of her mentoring if her first reaction to her kid being unhappy is to punish him until he pretends he's fine.

Hmmm, maybe son is too stupid to understand that destroying the bully was mum's plan all along.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

babypolis posted:

I know we're dogpiling here but if you want something to actually introspect on: You are assigning agency to a traumatized teenager who is "choosing" to be upset while absolving the bully and mother for their own informed choices. This is a terrible attitude for a teacher to have.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

she is going to mentor him wrong, as a joke

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

english is my second language bitch. and i already said i would drop it so why be a dick about it mr ik

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I can see how mentoring the bully makes sense in a "perfect frictionless sphere" kinda way, but punishing her kid for having an emotional response to it is loving dumb, and there's no world where that improves things.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

babypolis posted:

english is my second language bitch. and i already said i would drop it so why be a dick about it mr ik

I'm sorry for whatever gave you the impression that you get to decide when it's dropped.

And I can see your rapsheet. Give me a loving break.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
it's actually very brave, and noble, for me to stand up for this mom who's stealing from their kid and taking their bullies side and if you disagree with me you're taking it too seriously and i'm a teacher with responsibilities

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Ominous Jazz posted:

it's actually very brave, and noble, for me to stand up for this mom who's stealing from their kid and taking their bullies side and if you disagree with me you're taking it too seriously and i'm a teacher with responsibilities

when did i say any of these things. i expressed some mild disagreement in a neutral way and then said ok everyone disagrees with me ill drop it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
You should also look up neutral when you get a chance.

EDIT: I typed the above before you edited the vitriol out of your post.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

this is the lamest pile on lol. get a hobby or something

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

gently caress you son. Your bully has potential and I'll make your life a living hell until you see it to.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Haha, can you believe these losers are posting on an internet forum?

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

get a resposability loser

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

liquidypoo posted:

get a resposability moran

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

babypolis posted:

well it's moved from a dogpile to a meltdown so it's getting better, actually

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

babypolis posted:

We can't all hang out posting slurs and making rape jokes with cool teachers like you, this is all some of us have

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Paragraphs added

AITA for getting mad at people for not wanting to take trips with me or drive me to places ??

I like the various excuses here "my calender's full for the whooooole year" "I'm busy loving my wife 24/7" "I'm too old to drive"

I wanna know how old OP is.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

babypolis posted:

dumbass. Please quit teaching and def don’t have kids.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

babypolis posted:

If she was the only teacher that was available to mentor the kid, I would understand. If there are other teachers available, there is no obligation for her to help.

It reads to me like she specifically picks "problem" kids not because she actually cares about the kids but because she gets to feel self-satisfied as "Oh look at me. I did something good. :smug:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Mordiceius posted:

If she was the only teacher that was available to mentor the kid, I would understand. If there are other teachers available, there is no obligation for her to help.

It reads to me like she specifically picks "problem" kids not because she actually cares about the kids but because she gets to feel self-satisfied as "Oh look at me. I did something good. :smug:"

Also because of this, her kid is now sitting in an empty room anytime they're not at school. Which I would assume if was happening to any other kid she would be obligated to report it. So gently caress that mom she sucks rear end.