Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Managing to kill 3 chargers with an EAT call down by sticking the beacon on one of them is the most satisfying thing in this game. Sickle/Laser Dog/EAT is a sweeeeeeet loadout for anything bug. As long as you have friends who can help with the bile titans on higher difficulties.

Another fun mechanic is using the orbital shield drop to kill Bile Titans by sticking it right in front of them. They'll vomit it on it to try to kill it, and the vomit bounces back and they kill themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Laser Drone is good because it can, other than slice my head off, tell me what direction the closest bugs are so I can launch a thousand bullets in that general direction

It also very perfectly aims for a charger's head which is cute. It's trying~! :3:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

explosivo posted:

Gonna fully blame my friends on my inability to progress any further. Not trying to toot my own horn but I'm doing all that stuff already and am usually the last one alive and not repeatedly running around trying to get gear/two samples that dropped across the map. We're getting there I just need them to understand not everything they see has to die and it's okay if they have to go without their autocannon for 3 minutes and it's okay if that small base on it's own across the map doesn't get destroyed. It's not like XP means anything to us anymore :shrug:

Have you tried just going for the sub-objectives/objectives? even if dont extract you still win the mission and can complete an operation.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

jokes posted:

Laser Drone is good because it can, other than slice my head off, tell me what direction the closest bugs are so I can launch a thousand bullets in that general direction

It also very perfectly aims for a charger's head which is cute. It's trying~! :3:

It can sometimes fixate on an enemy that's just out of reach, and then suddenly a scavenger is biting your toes off

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

LazyMaybe posted:

I didn't know anyone actually used the climb button when you can just hold sprint

I have lost track of the amount of time where sprinting at a short ledge refuses to climb it until I use the manual climb button. All the awkward supply pod climbing in the world is never as annoying as that to me.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Qubee posted:

I'm hard stuck at level 7. Granted, it's because I'm poo poo. But also because my teammates are equally poo poo half the time. I also get chewed up and spat out so quickly by bugs, and none of my gear seems capable of taking on the incessant horde of titans and bile spewers. I'm level 18. Any advice?

Keep aware of whats around you from time to time. If you're against bugs and dying while slowed you have to keep range more often, and use the laser dog or shield. Prioritize the things that will catch and kill you or get you killed (anything that can slow you).

Always bring violence of action to bear, you need to wipe everything out before they press alarm. If you run out of ammo while there is one bug/bot left swap to secondary and kill it asap, use melee if you need to (shield recommended).

explosivo posted:

gently caress man I'm playing with friends on comms and we're all 20+ and can't reliably beat 6's yet. It's a hard game.

It just takes practice. Light armour, stamina booster, keep kiting bugs, use cover vs bots.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Managing to kill 3 chargers with an EAT call down by sticking the beacon on one of them is the most satisfying thing in this game. Sickle/Laser Dog/EAT is a sweeeeeeet loadout for anything bug. As long as you have friends who can help with the bile titans on higher difficulties.

Another fun mechanic is using the orbital shield drop to kill Bile Titans by sticking it right in front of them. They'll vomit it on it to try to kill it, and the vomit bounces back and they kill themselves.

:discourse: ; You can kill bile titans with EATs no problem

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 20, 2024

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hwurmp posted:

It can sometimes fixate on an enemy that's just out of reach, and then suddenly a scavenger is biting your toes off

But it tries its hardest and that's all that matters

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Section Z posted:

I have lost track of the amount of time where sprinting at a short ledge refuses to climb it until I use the manual climb button. All the awkward supply pod climbing in the world is never as annoying as that to me.

6 foot equipment pod? I'M ON IT. Two foot tall rock? Impassable obstacle, insanity to even try.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jerkface posted:

Have you tried just going for the sub-objectives/objectives? even if dont extract you still win the mission and can complete an operation.

I would love to. Again my friends are approaching each mission like a completionist and trying to do everything which massively ramps up the difficulty depending on the order in which you do them.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
7 feels like the first difficulty you can really hit a hard failure state if your team is doing dumb poo poo or bringing bad stratagem loadouts. 5 and 6 feel pretty good for bringing some of the more challenging enemy blobs while still allowing you to play the “gently caress it lm gonna plant here and kill bugs until they stop coming” game if you come prepared and really want to do so.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I've actually had a lot of success simply getting the attention of every bug, especially chargers/titans, and booking it in the opposite direction of the team. You can also kill basically any enemy by simply calling in a support weapon on top of them

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I was able to play a Suicide mission with relative ease. I barely died. I think level 7 just attracts really bad group synergy or something.

Also, 30 mins into a game and it crashes :)

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Section Z posted:

It really annoys me that you auto-climb almost everything when sprinting but there's a very tiny range where something is climbable but you won't auto-climb it.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
It pays to look at what your teammates are bringing too. 2 guys already bringing rocket launchers? Bring a grenade launcher or auto cannon to clean up the medium ones. In my experience most people are really eager to take down the heavies then get killed when they're ineffectively trying to use a primary to take down spewers or brood commanders (or devestators on the bot side) so I like to fill that niche. If other people already are though I'll bring more anti heavy stuff.

Me and a friend two manned some level 7s last night with me using the grenade launcher for medium enemies and swarms and him using the flamethrower to melt chargers and whatever else. We used stragems for bile titans. We stay on the move but don't completely run from everything either so we were fighting plenty, we just covered each other's weaknesses.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 20, 2024

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

jokes posted:

Ya, laserdog is great at telling me where the closest target is as it melts a hole through my head at the same time. Good boy.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

It pays to look at what your teammates are bringing too. 2 guys already bringing rocket launchers? Bring a grenade launcher or auto cannon to clean up the medium ones. In my experience most people are really eager to take down the heavies then get killed when they're ineffectively trying to use a primary to take down spewers or brood commanders (or devestators on the bot side) so I like to fill that niche. If other people already are though I'll bring more anti heavy stuff.

Me and a friend two manned some level 7s last night with me using the grenade launcher for medium enemies and swarms and him using the flamethrower to melt chargers and whatever else. We used stragems for bile titans. We stay on the move but don't completely run from everything either so we were fighting plenty, we just covered each other's weaknesses.

A stalwart can also do work on bugs, if people are well equipped for the big boys and you have a slugger or the like as your primary.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Qubee posted:

I was able to play a Suicide mission with relative ease. I barely died. I think level 7 just attracts really bad group synergy or something.

Also, 30 mins into a game and it crashes :)

Level 7 is where you get super samples so you get people who are bad at video games but REALLY want super samples coming in with their Very Meta loadout and just failing the entire time

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Qubee posted:

A big problem with groups on higher-difficulty bug missions is that people tend to run away from big swarms rather than sticking in and clearing poo poo out, which winds up with massive packs of hunters and such crawling all over the place from all directions making it nearly impossible to properly fight anything off. Most of the time when you get a bug breach you should sit there and handle that poo poo as fast as possible, because otherwise you'll have active hostile bugs skittering around when the breach cooldown comes up again to immediately call in another one to make the swarm even bigger.

If you tackle the bug waves as they come, then they'll be a lot easier to handle when everything is in the same direction for both fire and retreating to keep out of distance of hunters pouncing on you, and then you can leisurely use an arc thrower or flamethrower to clear out entire waves efficiently with minimal challenge.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Just exited my (level 21) first 7/Suicide game. I got a trio of identically armored level 50 dudes that joined me. I had a personal mission to kill 2 bile titans. I lost count around number 15. Mission timer ran out just as we hit exfil, and around the 60 second mark I'm the last guy standing with an active titan and no more EATs or GL ammo except for one Sickle pack, no stims, just a shield pack and stealth armor and a willingness to kite as hard as I can for the next minute. Dive between the legs of a titan to hit the pelican ramp with a charger on my heels, shoving aside lesser bugs like it's Black Friday at Walmart while grabbing all the dropped samples and making it back to space.

Then the game freezes.

I walk away to yell at things, and like 5 minutes later it actually loads into my ship.

Game is fun, game is hard, game is buggy.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but the red X from shooting the chargers' rear end in a top hat or the Bile Titans' underbelly with a normal non-explosive weapon is a trick right

Like I shouldn't be unloading a Stalwart into a Bile Titan or a Charger ever unless their armor has been stripped

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

explosivo posted:

gently caress man I'm playing with friends on comms and we're all 20+ and can't reliably beat 6's yet. It's a hard game.

Sounds like they are trying to....

explosivo posted:

I would love to. Again my friends are approaching each mission like a completionist and trying to do everything which massively ramps up the difficulty depending on the order in which you do them.

...Do exactly what you just described. They are going to fail spiral forever until they learn otherwise. To try to kill everything and not moving on isn't just bad, it's a really good way to lose and start a death spiral.

I sound like a broken record, but people have to move on. Run away. Stop always engaging. Definitely never start a fight that's not at an objective, with enemies that aren't aware of you, unless you can end it in a single strategem.

Your friends are collectively sticking their dicks into a cheese grater, then complaining it hurts. That's not a good way to spread democracy.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

jokes posted:

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but the red X from shooting the chargers' rear end in a top hat or the Bile Titans' underbelly with a normal non-explosive weapon is a trick right

Like I shouldn't be unloading a Stalwart into a Bile Titan or a Charger ever unless their armor has been stripped

The red X just means you're doing full damage to the target without mitigation due to armor (white X is 50% damage through armor and deflection symbol means you didn't do anything at all), but the charger's butt has much more health than its leg or head and they're completely separate HP pools. If you can strip the armor off of any other section than you'll kill the target much faster that way (and a single EAT rocket to a charger's face or leg is pretty much a one-shot kill).

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

BitBasher posted:

...Do exactly what you just described. They are going to fail spiral forever until they learn otherwise. To try to kill everything and not moving on isn't just bad, it's a really good way to lose and start a death spiral.

I sound like a broken record, but people have to move on. Run away. Stop always engaging. Definitely never start a fight that's not at an objective, with enemies that aren't aware of you, unless you can end it in a single strategem.

Your friends are collectively sticking their dicks into a cheese grater, then complaining it hurts. That's not a good way to spread democracy.

I just got kicked from a game for doing exactly this. They kept fighting and burning tickets and meanwhile after I died a few times on the hot drop, I ran around and completed both Stalker Lairs and a Radar tower plus two of the oil prep ones. At the final place I ended up dying and as soon as I did I got kicked. It kind of sucked. Guess I shouldn't have died, but still.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

jokes posted:

Red X means its penetrating the armor. Buuuut the big bugs take only 10% damage on weakpoints from non-explosive weapons, which theres no mechanic to indicate anywhere. You just have to know.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

BitBasher posted:

Lol I explained this to them every night since the game came out and they yeah yeah'd me but last night I reiterated the whole "it gets harder the more bases we destroy and the more objectives we do" thing and I swear one of them (the one who constantly dies and complains) was like "wait what that doesn't sound right I don't know if I believe that" :cripes:

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Vanguard Warden posted:

A big problem with groups on higher-difficulty bug missions is that people tend to run away from big swarms rather than sticking in and clearing poo poo out, which winds up with massive packs of hunters and such crawling all over the place from all directions making it nearly impossible to properly fight anything off.

This would be true if enemies didn't respawn, but they do eventually. Takes a bit.

Many times I and my group have run from wall to wall bugs and broken off and they are just all gone a couple minutes later. They never seem to respawn in LOS, I don't know the rules governing it.

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

BitBasher posted:

You don't even have to be that militant about it. You can stop and airstrike a charger/titan or kill some things at a point of interest.

Even fighting a patrol and its reinforcements if they see you is fine. The problem is when people dig in for a world war 1 trench warfare against literally everything so you get to a half dozen breeches with 8 bile titans at the drop point for no reason.

BitBasher posted:

This would be true if enemies didn't respawn, but they do eventually. Takes a bit.

Many times I and my group have run from wall to wall bugs and broken off and they are just all gone a couple minutes later. They never seem to respawn in LOS, I don't know the rules governing it.

Some despawn but others turn around and run toward their spawn point if they get too far away. You can usually pick them off at this point because the "Run toward Spawn" thing seems to take priority and causes them to ignore aggro mechanics.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

explosivo posted:

Lol I explained this to them every night since the game came out and they yeah yeah'd me but last night I reiterated the whole "it gets harder the more bases we destroy and the more objectives we do" thing and I swear one of them (the one who constantly dies and complains) was like "wait what that doesn't sound right I don't know if I believe that" :cripes:

Honestly ignore that, its a pretty minimal increase to patrol spawns only. Taking fights at bases won't kill you, its getting bogged down in the middle of nowhere fighting enemies you didn't need to fight. The worst part is getting bogged down near a base, especially a Stalker nest, and having it constantly spawn more enemies for you to kill. Then you end up with patrols pathing into you, breaches showing up with more, more patrols pathing into you, and it just keeps spiraling.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Rectal Death Alert posted:

You don't even have to be that militant about it. You can stop and airstrike a charger/titan or kill some things at a point of interest.

Even fighting a patrol and its reinforcements if they see you is fine. The problem is when people dig in for a world war 1 trench warfare against literally everything so you get to a half dozen breeches with 8 bile titans at the drop point for no reason.

Are they new to gaming? I’m a bit ahead of my friends in progression but everyone basically immediately understood and picked up on it the first time I said “hey let’s start rotating out of here we’re just burning time and won’t kill them all.” Some people are just too stubborn for their own good though and will intentionally play the game wrong as a weird way to never back down from their initial take on how something should be done.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Red X means its penetrating the armor. Buuuut the big bugs take only 10% damage on weakpoints from non-explosive weapons, which theres no mechanic to indicate anywhere. You just have to know.

:eng101: the 10% damage happens when you shoot any big squishy jelly like bits that you can see goo flying off when you hit. This is the asses of Chargers, bodies of Nurse and Bile Spewers and the sacs of Titans

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

causticBeet posted:

Are they new to gaming? I’m a bit ahead of my friends in progression but everyone basically immediately understood and picked up on it the first time I said “hey let’s start rotating out of here we’re just burning time and won’t kill them all.”

I've had to quip to my friends 'Surely they'll stop coming if we kill enough of them!' while trying to disengage and they, thankfully, picked up on the sarcasm.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

explosivo posted:

It increases spawns by 17% at absolute max by my math which isn't even really much
Instead of a 40 bug breach it's a 46 or 47 bug breach. Just do all the objectives IMHO.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

If nothing else, the one fact to try to drill in is that enemy spawns almost quadruple once you've completed the main objective. You should save that for last and then immediately book it to the extraction, only grabbing PoIs on the way if they're very convenient.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Rectal Death Alert posted:

This is 100% correct but some people respond badly to subtlety and judgement calls. :v:

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

lmao the game now almost reliable crashes when using Arc

this is the :fatshark: experience all over again, except at the loving least FS put in rejoin on crash. Guess SONY money can't fix this stupid engine

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I feel like I've had a number of extractions where just zero enemies spawned. I'm not complaining, but.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

jokes posted:

I feel like I've had a number of extractions where just zero enemies spawned. I'm not complaining, but.

That tends to happen with the Localization Confusion booster.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

haldolium posted:

lmao the game now almost reliable crashes when using Arc

this is the :fatshark: experience all over again, except at the loving least FS put in rejoin on crash. Guess SONY money can't fix this stupid engine
I haven't had any probs with the arc this morning, but I tried the mech and it blew me up twice, once on literally the 1st missile I fired :negative:

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

jokes posted:

The leading theories I've seen are that enemies are spawning somewhere but unable to path to you so they're just stuck, or the map has hit a population limit (maybe because of a group of 80 bots stuck in the center of the map) and is no longer spawning enemies at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Do you guys tend to shoot in 1st or 3rd person? I have been shooting in 1st for everything but once I realized how the 3rd person barrel position crosshairs worked it's felt a lot easier to shoot more things faster, and maybe 1st person is for far away things?