Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Users ditch Glassdoor, stunned by site adding real names without consent

Time to go play delete everything now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I thought the whole point of that site was to anonymously review/talk poo poo about companies you worked for. That's the worst possible thing they could have done.

An important life lessons for everyone though.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
it is a good idea to always operate under the assumption that youre not anonymous online because technically speaking you probably arent

Livo
Dec 31, 2023

Desert Bus posted:

AI poo poo is already loving up the Pain Management field already.

"The Pain Was Unbearable. So Why Did Doctors Turn Her Away?
A sweeping drug addiction risk algorithm has become central to how the US handles the opioid crisis. It may only be making the crisis worse."

https://www.wired.com/story/opioid-drug-addiction-algorithm-chronic-pain/

"And eventually she came upon an explanation that helped her understand what might have gone wrong: She had sick pets.

At the time of her hospitalization, Kathryn owned two flat-coated retrievers, Bear and Moose. Both were the kind of dog she preferred to adopt: older rescues with significant medical problems that other prospective owners might avoid. Moose had epilepsy and had required surgery on both his hind legs. He had also been abused as a puppy and had severe anxiety. Bear, too, suffered from anxiety.

The two canines had been prescribed opioids, benzodiazepines, and even barbiturates by their veterinarians. Prescriptions for animals are put under their owner's name. So to NarxCare, it apparently looked like Kathryn was seeing many doctors for different drugs, some at extremely high dosages. (Dogs can require large amounts of benzodiazepines due to metabolic factors.)

I don't know if this is unique to Australian vets: my parents have a labrador with a heart valve issue, his prescribed medication is almost identical to human heart valve medication. For his prescription, it lists his name, and then also my parents surname to "make up" his full name on the list i.e. the prescription explicitly has a full name with surname on it, so my parents aren't on it themselves. They've never had a problem getting the medication from a chemist or online with this method. The only issue they've had, is a cautious young chemist asking if the patient had verbally told them about any side-effects, only for my parents to explain it's for a dog. His medical file is now officially annotated with a (Dog) from the chemist, so anyone accessing the prescription, can see that a chemist has marked it as being for an animal.

Is this kind of thing the norm, or not really a standard thing for vet prescriptions in other countries? Not that it'll prevent AI screw-ups with names from happening , but at least a "Prescription clearly states it's for Bear Surname, not Kathryn Surname!" is easier to explain than putting all vet prescriptions under your own name, surely?

Livo fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Mar 20, 2024

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

run on sentience posted:

I don't know if they got shittier because I've never had them before, but I got some Bose earbuds as a gift and the sound and noise cancelling are awesome, but the loving touch controls are so sensitive as to make them unusable. If so much as a strand of hair touches them, they pause or skip or switch modes. Forget wearing them under a hat in the winter. No way to turn the controls off either.

I would love to buy some cheap ear buds that don't have touch control on them. I don't need to accidentally activate voice calling while pushing my ear bud back in after it gets loose.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Livo posted:

I don't know if this is unique to Australian vets: my parents have a labrador with a heart valve issue, his prescribed medication is almost identical to human heart valve medication. For his prescription, it lists his name, and then also my parents surname to "make up" his full name on the list i.e. the prescription explicitly has a full name with surname on it, so my parents aren't on it themselves. They've never had a problem getting the medication from a chemist or online with this method. The only issue they've had, is a cautious young chemist asking if the patient had verbally told them about any side-effects, only for my parents to explain it's for a dog. His medical file is now officially annotated with a (Dog) from the chemist, so anyone accessing the prescription, can see that a chemist has marked it as being for an animal.

Is this kind of thing the norm, or not really a standard thing for vet prescriptions in other countries? Not that it'll prevent AI screw-ups with names from happening , but at least a "Prescription clearly states it's for Bear Surname, not Kathryn Surname!" is easier to explain than putting all vet prescriptions under your own name, surely?

My cats prescriptions are in my name but the name on the label is my cat’s, and if I order them online, it’s under my government ID number. Even if it was all 100 percent in my name, most pharmacists would see that it’s coming from a veterinarian, and not a human doctor.

That isn’t to say AI couldn’t gently caress it up. I think AI can surmise that Raichu J. Cat is indeed a cat but not so much Sigurd.

UFOTacoMan posted:

I would love to buy some cheap ear buds that don't have touch control on them. I don't need to accidentally activate voice calling while pushing my ear bud back in after it gets loose.

My AirPod Pros are shockingly quite dece with the touch controls. I have to put a bit of force into some of the functions which is appreciated. One of the best purchases I’ve made in some time.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
They do keep an eye on it tho. My ex-SIL was caught in her relapse because the vet called my brother about how much she was refilling her tiny dog's opiate prescriptions. They kept 'falling into the toilet'.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

StrangersInTheNight posted:

They do keep an eye on it tho. My ex-SIL was caught in her relapse because the vet called my brother about how much she was refilling her tiny dog's opiate prescriptions. They kept 'falling into the toilet'.

"Oh is that what you've been calling yourself now?"

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

I'm gonna be brutally honest here: most Western countries(and China) are gonna reach a 1:1 ratio of retired and working people by ~2055. Unless you are rich there is just not going to be anyone around anymore to provide medical care for most people. So you either deal with the iPad chat bot doctor or you pick out a nice place at the garbage dump to lay down and die

This will be an absolute field day for quacks, herbalists, and new age witch doctors with a garden full of opium poppies.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Leave my poppies out of this, mortal. Y’all hosed up this world, let me get hosed up in mine *chugs a gallon of poppy tea*

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Livo posted:

No idea if it's standard with scripts, but when I was young we always found it funny and endearing the way both the vet and the council paperwork would refer to our cat as 'Misty [Our Surname]". Oz too.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

teen witch posted:

My cats prescriptions are in my name but the name on the label is my cat’s, and if I order them online, it’s under my government ID number. Even if it was all 100 percent in my name, most pharmacists would see that it’s coming from a veterinarian, and not a human doctor.

That isn’t to say AI couldn’t gently caress it up. I think AI can surmise that Raichu J. Cat is indeed a cat but not so much Sigurd.

My AirPod Pros are shockingly quite dece with the touch controls. I have to put a bit of force into some of the functions which is appreciated. One of the best purchases I’ve made in some time.

I will keep this min mind, but I'd much prefer a $30 option! :D

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
I want buttons back. Touch controls on plastic are garbage and not useful when you're operating by feel.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i want both and they should also be redundant

you know the steam deck is actually a good design hmm

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Big silvery metal knobs when

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

How to sink your company overnight in one easy step.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Big silvery metal knobs when

Big rotary dials for my auto transmission pls

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

TotalLossBrain posted:

Big rotary dials for my auto transmission pls

Hell yeah

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Cerekk posted:

Hell yeah

The only acceptable design for an automatic transmission selector :frog:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
What does N, 1, 2, or the additional D mean? My car has a D which means "go mode" but it also has another D with a box around it :confused:

Like here the N and P have boxes around it but the D doesn't :confused:

I know P means "brake on" and N means "brake on but with brake off"

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

credburn posted:

What does N, 1, 2, or the additional D mean? My car has a D which means "go mode" but it also has another D with a box around it :confused:

:psyduck: are you loving serious

P = park, as in neutral with the parking pawl set, the car cannot move
N = neutral, the car is not in gear, the engine is not connected to the wheels, though it still might roll under its own weight
D = drive, the car is in gear, the transmission controls which gear automatically
D in a box = overdrive enabled, the car will shift into an extra-high gear to conserve fuel, this was a bigger deal on older auto boxes where downshifting could be really slow
3/2/1 = lock the car in a specific gear ratio, usually for towing or for driving on ice

do they not teach people how to operate a transmission anymore, I knew this poo poo when I was 6

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 20, 2024

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

N means “No” as in “No, it won’t work”

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

credburn posted:

It stands for Overdrive, shifting your car into that makes it go super fast for like five minutes then the engine explodes

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

credburn posted:

N was explained, 1 and 2 is how you choose if you want to be 1st or 2nd at the finish line (3rd is 2nd loser and doesn't count)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Why do P and N have boxes around them, though?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

OverPenetration, which gives your car more torque to break through obstacles, and Oh No(self-explanatory)

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07vdtBMG4Kg

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

The only acceptable design for an automatic transmission selector :frog:

My truck has an automatic transmission but it makes you wiggle the shifter left and right so you feel like a big boy truck driver.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

Why do P and N have boxes around them, though?

Because they will be the positions where the safety interlocks allows the engine to be started - the others will cut power to the starter.

And the 3, 2, 1 etc. positions are often gear limiters, not just selector for one gear. So '1' will keep the transmission in first, '2' will let it use first and second, '3' will let it use first, second and third.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

wash bucket posted:

My truck has an automatic transmission but it makes you wiggle the shifter left and right so you feel like a big boy truck driver.

This is like that story about when cake mixes started hitting the shelves, they decided to omit egg powder (or whatever) since beating an egg into the thing for the test groups "felt more like you were really baking something."

That said, I would love a set of four toggle switches mounted near the rear view mirror that all had to be flipped, one by one, to turn the engine on.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Just pick up some basic soldering skills and you can! Cutting a hole into your own car on purpose for the first time is a really eye opening experience (for real, no sarcasm)

You can even buy some cheap gate logic chips and use them to make a duke3d-esque button password immobilizer

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

This is like that story about when cake mixes started hitting the shelves, they decided to omit egg powder (or whatever) since beating an egg into the thing for the test groups "felt more like you were really baking something."

That said, I would love a set of four toggle switches mounted near the rear view mirror that all had to be flipped, one by one, to turn the engine on.

Hit it Chewie!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
What a gear shift should look like, also ignition key in correct position.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
man i wish my ignition was there. my keys just barely dangle onto my leg so i have to loop them around the keychain so it doesnt do that to my poor knee

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

His Divine Shadow posted:

What a gear shift should look like, also ignition key in correct position.

just classic (i wish my poo poo looked that good)

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Sorry if your gearshift isn’t at chin height a la Ed Roth’s Rat Fink, you are all Driving Wrong and Bad.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I prefer beans in my drivin' chili

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just drive exclusively in first for maximum responsiveness.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

The Moon Monster posted:

I just drive exclusively in first for maximum responsiveness.

I drove from Albuquerque to Pagosa starting at 1AM one time and by 4 I was going through the Jicarilla Apache reservation just moving between 1st and 2nd for a good 30 minutes because of woods and deer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Duolingo just redid the Chinese course and now it thinks I'm 3 modules into a course where I know none of the vocabulary. I backtracked to unit 1, lesson 1, and there was vocab I'd never seen in my life, but it thinks I know it so it didn't highlight it as new.

Also some of the prompts are loving nonsense. "China, Italy" is a weird thing to translate. There's so many more sentence fragments than there used to be

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 21, 2024