Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

the only multiplayer i play regularly these days is iracing. but that's a totally different system from most regular racing games.

you have a safety rating as well as your usual mmr skill rating. if you drive like a dickhead in any way, or are abusive through text/voice, anyone in your race session can file a protest. each one is looked over by a real person and if it's upheld, they get punished. particularly bad incidents can get you suspended from the service.

there really is a no tolerance policy for assholes and it's the only time i feel like i'm playing a game with actual adults 99% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

The Moon Monster posted:

One of the reasons I dropped off Destiny is because it didn't have matchmaking for raids (aka the coolest content that the developers obviously cared the most about) and I didn't care enough to put forth the effort to maintain a spot in a good raid group. On the other hand based on the few times I tried a third party matchmaker they would have had to massively dumb things down to make them completable by a group of randos, so who can say what's right or wrong :shrug:

There is a real Catch-22 quality to Destiny and raids. Its the coolest content by far, but also the hardest, and it all requires everyone on the raid to coordinate in a way thats anathema to multiplayer FPS games. As you mentioned there's no matchmaking, partially because getting stuck with a couple of no-mics would make it impossible and also because of the time commitment to the raid, however this means you either join a raid guild and commit to running the raid 2-3x a week at a minimum, or you're jumping through a shitload of hoops to end back up with a couple of no-mics (or squeakers) to have them not understand the raid mechanics at all and it ends up being a giant waste of time.

Every now and again there's a :airquote: secret :airquote: mission that can be done with 3 people, and they're all fantastic, but there's less than five secret missions across the entirety of Destiny 2 (and I think some may have been vaulted).

I really want to love Destiny, but its design is just hosed.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
I like hunt showdown a lot. that there is a good multiplayer fps. I've never queued with random teammates though. that would be weird

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Destiny 2 is so hateful to its players and their desire to have fun and is basically the exact opposite of Helldivers 2 from that perspective

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Destiny broke my heart enough times that I’ll never go back. But I feel like I got the last laugh because
A: I only played the games when they were in their “fun” states and hopped out of the wagon whenever Bungie tried to pull some bullshit.
And B: I never once paid real money for any kind of cash shop item or season pass.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I got a Destiny season pass as a pack in with an expansion once and I think that was what cemented my dislike of season passes. They all make games feel like second jobs but somehow Destiny went a lot harder at it than most of them I've seen.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I had a great time with goons in Destiny 1, despite the constant mocking of my inability to do platforming in FPS games (it's fine in vr but I swear I cannot judge distance at all on a flat screen from a fixed POV).

I did play 2 with a few friends but we were burnt out before the second expansion. Shooting feels great, PvP was actually really fun, but drat the different currencies and daily grind got dull fast.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

the Painted World is kind of a bummer this time around ain't it :smithicide:

where is Priscilla, did I do this I'm sorry I killed you back then

edit: omg the crow quills

Priscilla isn't around but the little painter girl looks like she's related. You'd better help her out to atone for your sins.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

The Moon Monster posted:

I got a Destiny season pass as a pack in with an expansion once and I think that was what cemented my dislike of season passes. They all make games feel like second jobs but somehow Destiny went a lot harder at it than most of them I've seen.

Definitely. When they switched the game over to a season pass model I knew at that exact moment the fun times were over, and I stopped playing for good. No way am I paying a subscription fee to keep playing a game I already bought.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Barudak posted:

Helldivers 2 is decent fun if you play on regular difficulty but if you aren't the sort of person who just has to play on increasing levels of difficulty until you live in a near constant state of heart tremors trying to complete the same missions you've already done several hundred times on proc-gen levels it doesn't have a lot of holding power.

This is the exact kind of post people should reply "git good" to

It's a pretty chill laid back game until the very final difficulty and even that is easily done by uncoordinated matchmaking groups with no communication. But it's pretty boring on the lower difficulties because not much happens and there's no complexity to the missions and you just kind of sleepwalk through them

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's a pretty chill laid back game until the very final difficulty and even that is easily done by uncoordinated matchmaking groups with no communication. But it's pretty boring on the lower difficulties because not much happens and there's no complexity to the missions and you just kind of sleepwalk through them

It's because basic hand eye coordination is a rarity, even after decades of practice for many people, so aiming and learning a few new things is hard.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I hope I never get better at video games, I'd feel like such a nerd

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If what you took from my post was anything about the difficultly, in and of itself being bad,, rather than the game has nothing to offer but procgen mapsets and increasing difficulty so if you dont find yourself thrilled at playing more but harder, you done goofed. Helldivers 2 and all games of its ilk burn me out quickly because after the initial novelty "same thing but harder" doesn't do anything for me.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 21, 2024

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

I hope I never get better at video games, I'd feel like such a nerd

You beat Dark Souls so you're already extremely good at them, probably like top 0.1%, sorry to be the one to tell you this

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Devils Affricate posted:

You beat Dark Souls so you're already extremely good at them, probably like top 0.1%, sorry to be the one to tell you this

Finished multiple dark souls so he's probably a statistical anomaly

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Barudak posted:

If what you took from my post was anything about the difficultly, in and of itself being bad,, rather than the game has nothing to offer but procgen mapsets and increasing difficulty so if you dont find yourself thrilled at playing more but harder, you done goofed. Helldivers 2 and all games of its ilk burn me out quickly because after the initial novelty "same thing but harder" doesn't do anything for me.

What I took from your post is that you said you intentionally play on low tutorial difficulties instead of the difficulties where things actually happen and then say that the game isn't exciting enough because nothing happens in it and it just feels like a progression treadmill :colbert: yes, that's because you're playing on the low baby difficulties that exist to introduce you to the game mechanics in a pressure-free environment and should git good enough to play on the difficulties that the game actually happens at, where the fun and exciting gameplay exists.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 21, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I played Mario with a godmode cheat and this game sucks because all you do is hold down right until you're at the end of the stage. I'm not a sweaty enough tryhard to turn off the cheat just so that holding down right becomes harder.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

What I took from your post is that you said you intentionally play on low tutorial difficulties instead of the difficulties where things actually happen and then say that the game isn't exciting enough because nothing happens in it and it just feels like a progression treadmill :colbert: yes, that's because you're playing on the low baby difficulties that exist to introduce you to the game mechanics in a pressure-free environment and should git good enough to play on the difficulties that the game actually happens at, where the fun and exciting gameplay exists.

The persons complaints that there were tryhards ruining the experience as they were demanding more investment than they had made already. The game is, in fact, decent fun on regular difficulty level and the player should enjoy them without worrying about tryhards.

However, since they were feeling slightly bummed by their experience I pointed out the games progression is moving up the difficulty ranks and if that didn't hold appeal based on their current experience that is in fact the game and they can quit.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The sweatlords who yell at people only play on low difficulties. If you play with bottom-rung players in literally any game they will be sweatlord ragers.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I play Helldivers on difficulty 8 & 9 mostly and everyone who plays is hella chill and just laughing and having a good time while they play because the gameplay itself is fun as hell at that level and it's still easy enough for random matchmaking groups to beat it.

People who lose at video games and get mad at them and blame others for their failures crank the difficulty down because they can't recognize that they are the problem and just keep getting mad, instead of gitting good.

That's what git good means. It's a state of mind, not anything to do with videogaming skill. It's just about learning from your mistakes and being accountable for them and recognizing that you too can improve.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Overwatch before they added competitive mode was the peak for playing with randos in a competitive FPS. People would react to tryhards by doing something fun like everyone respawning as Zarya or whatever character. Sometimes it even won but even if it didn't it was fun to just goof around with the people who would eventually quarantine themselves. Then they kept patching the game according to a handful of proteams nobody watched and made even casual play the kinda poo poo that attracts angry yellers.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I encountered, personally, 0 sweatlords while playing but doing so on Japanese time schedule did mean almost everyone I played with was stoned out of their minds and hilarious.

Still crapped out and got bored around difficulty 5?6? At around i dunno how many hours like 10?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Sometimes I like games that are difficult and the challenge is not only enjoyable but feels like where the difficulty should have been first but other times the higher difficulty isn't more fun and just makes things more tedious and annoying.

This is a hot take, but games are often made very differently and there's one size fits all for every game let alone every person.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

syntaxfunction posted:

This is a hot take, but games are often made very differently and there's one size fits all for every game let alone every person.

Wrong there are only three games: halo, dota, and Pokémon.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

jokes posted:

Wrong there are only three games: halo, dota, and Pokémon.

what the hell are all these Fromsoft things then? I thought they were games, that's why I checked them out! I've been doing this since October!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

what the hell are all these Fromsoft things then? I thought they were games, that's why I checked them out! I've been doing this since October!

you're defending some pretty ancient poo poo in the souls games

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The Moon Monster posted:

One of the reasons I dropped off Destiny is because it didn't have matchmaking for raids (aka the coolest content that the developers obviously cared the most about) and I didn't care enough to put forth the effort to maintain a spot in a good raid group. On the other hand based on the few times I tried a third party matchmaker they would have had to massively dumb things down to make them completable by a group of randos, so who can say what's right or wrong :shrug:

when they announced the f2p version it had a bunch of cool old raids from the first few years of the game, long past relevance so there was no loot benefit but they were just for fun to form a party and learn/do with your buddies
and then a short while later they permanently deleted all of them from the game lol I was so mad

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

They’re Ocarina of Time-likes

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

galagazombie posted:

They’re Ocarina of Time-likes

Haven't you been paying attention? They're I Wanna Be the Guy-likes

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Devils Affricate posted:

Haven't you been paying attention? They're I Wanna Be the Guy-likes

Finally someone that gets it.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

The only boss I really struggled with I don't think you have seen.

I think I found it

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

If it's the Pontif you've got to sidestep his attacks.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Pretty sure it's Nameless King.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The real final boss is The Gibbering Hoard, an amorphous blob with an internet connection which spends all day telling no one in particular how much they don't like dark souls

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Thinkin bout Dragon dogma today. Made a pawn that looks like my cat.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Thinkin bout Dragon dogma today. Made a pawn that looks like my cat.

I like the sonic/robotnik pairs that people come up with. Literally the only time I like Sonic things

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I just picked up Dragon's Dogma in the Steam sale. Hopefully it doesn't languish in my unplayed pile, it always sounds cool.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
they're masterworks all, you can't go wrong

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

Pretty sure it's Nameless King.

oh I figured it was Sister Freide cuz she brutalized me for a good chunk of this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Nope. She wasn't easy but not hard. Nameless king is hard. Probably top 5 hardest from boss. I died in him more than rest of ds3 bosses combined.

Ironically, he is easy as gently caress for a spellcaster. I didn't kill the dragon, tho. I'd done everything else and couldn't be assed to do a dlc boss for zero content just to say I did. Midir.