Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
(peel the onion one further layer back and liberal arts accreditation is all a scam)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

didn't ucb put on shows that people paid to get in to, and none of the money went to performers?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Al! posted:

i think they were pretending to be accredited ie you could pull the classes in for real college credit

lol that's worse than preying on unfunny rich peoples' desires

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKiOGyfZRKs

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
that humour class scene in the curse was so good

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol Amber's cat

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Eat This Glob posted:

didn't ucb put on shows that people paid to get in to, and none of the money went to performers?

i feel like a lot of this stuff at least back in the day, podcasts too, was all "for the exposure" scam poo poo. nobody was getting paid except the people on top of it. maybe that's changed, probably not.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Doesn’t GUMSHOE exist to fix that exact problem? Including a GUMSHOE call or cthulu?

I think it came down to your score in something just giving you points you spend to automatically succeed at rolls. I’ve heard it has its own issues though.

there’s actually a really fun game, Brindlewood Bay, that is meant to be played with little to no preplanning and everyone GM included goes in not knowing the solution to the mystery. the players gather up clues and at the end of the mystery will all decide on a solution then roll for it with bonuses based on how successful they were in the investigation. they can either get it totally right, mostly right with a twist the GM decides, or they get it wrong and the GM can decide the solution and the fallout from getting it wrong. it’s also got a cute theme. it’s a bunch of retired widowed women in a quaint New England town who all are in a mystery book club but also solve mysteries themselves. but it turns out something deeper and darker and lovecraftian is at play.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

uber_stoat posted:

maybe that's changed, probably not.
my guess is probably not

anyways local arts/comedy/theater poo poo is getting decimated big time, like really badly. even if i don't like theater kids or improv guys or whatever, still sucks to see how badly its getting wrecked

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

my guess is probably not

anyways local arts/comedy/theater poo poo is getting decimated big time, like really badly. even if i don't like theater kids or improv guys or whatever, still sucks to see how badly its getting wrecked

yeah they're all moving to austin and it's thriving. can't wait to pay $25 entry and $13x2 wells to see someone i've never heard of really get the audience going

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

austin really is the epicenter, it's just that the epicenter of comedy rn is really, really bad. i've seen good shows but it's because i bought tickets way ahead of time and all the oversaturated clubs love tossing out free RSVP slots

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

i say swears online posted:

yeah they're all moving to austin and it's thriving. can't wait to pay $25 entry and $13x2 wells to see someone i've never heard of really get the audience going

i dont really know why they'd move to austin though. it's expensive and also in fuckin' texas. at least move somewhere ever-so-slightly more respectable, like portland which is probably a little cheaper than austin these days

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

i dont really know why they'd move to austin though. it's expensive and also in fuckin' texas. at least move somewhere ever-so-slightly more respectable, like portland which is probably a little cheaper than austin these days

otoh austin has plenty of jobs for jake flores types, whereas he's outcompeted in LA on multiple fronts

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

tristeham posted:

holy shitballs

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

scary ghost dog posted:

ttrpgs are improv in exactly the same way that pepsi is water

so like 99.9 percent improv?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

Portland peaked a few years ago and has fallen off hard. Nobody is moving here for poo poo right now (inshallah)

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

austin really is the epicenter, it's just that the epicenter of comedy rn is really, really bad. i've seen good shows but it's because i bought tickets way ahead of time and all the oversaturated clubs love tossing out free RSVP slots

That would be why Shane moved there, I guess.

I'd heard this whole Austin thing is Joe Rogan's personal project or something, and he's subsidizing it.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
*frustrated* if we know where the epicenter of stand-up comedy is, why aren't we bombing it??

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

That would be why Shane moved there, I guess.

I'd heard this whole Austin thing is Joe Rogan's personal project or something, and he's subsidizing it.

he probably is subsidizing the mothership (his venue), hard to imagine how it makes money

there are tons of clubs though, i'm in walking distance to like seven. the closest one has an all-trans improv troupe

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

the closest one has an all-trans improv troupe

yeah there's a lot of RPG groups here too

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Punished Turtle posted:

so like 99.9 percent improv?

yes, but the second you try to get someone who only partakes in one to try the other, theyre going to be either disgusted or extremely confused if you tell them theyre the same thing

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Portland peaked a few years ago and has fallen off hard. Nobody is moving here for poo poo right now (inshallah)

turns out moving to pdx was mostly a misery of cobbling together gig work for most people, rather than a magical adventure that ends with you getting to do art for a living

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i want to believe the TrueAnon George Santos call was real. it sounded like him... ai??

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe
Liz says she hates us on the new ep :(

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Al! posted:

turns out moving to pdx was mostly a misery of cobbling together gig work for most people, rather than a magical adventure that ends with you getting to do art for a living

Good restaurants though!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

majour333 posted:

she's a permabanned superstar

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
support our troupes

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

mawarannahr posted:

i want to believe the TrueAnon George Santos call was real. it sounded like him... ai??

Worse. Vaxxed.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Good restaurants though!

lol that scene is dying under commercial rent and inflation depleted budgets too

I mean we still have it going for us, but it’s well past peak and current trajectory isn’t promising

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

portland has always been a place where the two families that control all the land are constantly in a war to see who can drive out more businesses with insane rents

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i still remember when the Naitos killed Holiday Market

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

majour333 posted:

she's right

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

*frustrated* if we know where the epicenter of stand-up comedy is, why aren't we bombing it??

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Al! posted:

Al! posted:

portland has always been a place where the two families that control all the land are constantly in a war to see who can drive out more businesses with insane rents
This is really most any major american city though?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

majour333 posted:

i'm glad we agree liz

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

majour333 posted:

I can understand why Tiny Brontosaurus would still be miffed after all this time.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

KirbyKhan posted:

I can understand why Tiny Brontosaurus would still be miffed after all this time.

.....kirbeh you have gone too far

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

liz is km

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

KirbyKhan posted:

Oh no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Xaris posted:

.....kirbeh you have gone too far

:twisted: should I have said Pick?