Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
NFL looking to ban the hip-drop tackle and they should.

https://x.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1770491953999704131?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
just put 'em in skirts already!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i like the name hip drop. it reminds me of early 3d platformers. please put the name on something else that is going to be legal

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I really wish the bears could just figure it out. They have 2 cool receivers and I grew up in a bears family watching them every Sunday, but we all know where this is going.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Ort posted:

I really wish the bears could just figure it out. They have 2 cool receivers and I grew up in a bears family watching them every Sunday, but we all know where this is going.

they are owned by incompetent morons, they will never be good or relevant.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

wait I'm sorry this guy has been on the run from the law since MARCH SEVENTH?

Why are we just now hearing about this

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

kiimo posted:

he gave them the slip at the Chicago st Patrick's day parade

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Ort posted:

You're not wrong but loving up this situation would be a feat even by Chicago standards.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

kiimo posted:

Police just finally announced it. Sounds like they tried reaching out to him and watching his house, but he never answered or returned home.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

fsif posted:

You're not wrong but loving up this situation would be a feat even by Chicago standards.

no it wouldn't in fact they will gently caress it up very easily

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

wandler20 posted:

NFL looking to ban the hip-drop tackle and they should.

https://x.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1770491953999704131?s=20

yes what we need is giving the refs more powers to gently caress things up

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

R.D. Mangles posted:

Lol

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hey nerds, I hear you like reading complicated rule proposals for kickoffs

Or maybe that's just me.

Pretty close to the XFL kick :swoon:. Huge gently caress you's for kicking the ball into the endzone or not returning it.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i thought kick returns were supposed to be dangerous and so you need to implement rules so there are more of them?

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Parallax posted:

i thought kick returns were supposed to be dangerous and so you need to implement rules so there are more of them?

I'd be curious to see the recent data of injuries on kick returns vs every other play. They certainly used to be more dangerous, but that was when the kicking team was allowed to get a running start before the kick and the wedge blocking formation was allowed. I'm all for rules that try to limit the number of touchbacks. It doesn't look like they did anything to increase the viability of the onside kick though which is disappointing.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
The XFL rules basically make it so that the kicking and receiving team are not running full speed at each other and it worked pretty well.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, the short version is kicking team lines up on the receiving 40, receiving lines up on the 35, and neither can move until the ball lands. It's a lot of basically like setup for a screen blocking and would turn kickoffs back into an actual NFL play.

The yardage probably needs to be tweaked a little bit, but I really think they should do this at least for preseasons since the kickoff is just straight pointless time now.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

the actual kickoffs sound like an improvement, but sounds as lovely as ever for Onsides?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Remove kick-offs, replace with free kicks, job done

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I don't know how you even justify the existence of onside kicks under the proposed rules. At least until now the onside kick has been a strategy that either team could theoretically deploy at any time during the game; under the proposed rules it would be codified as an advantage only the losing team has, and only in the 4th quarter, and it requires a substantial deviation from what would be the standard kickoff procedures.

I know other sports have their weird quirks that don't really make sense but help keep games theoretically interesting at the end (e.g. timeouts advancing the ball at the end of game in basketball, clock stopping for first downs under 2 minutes in college football) but I am personally not aware of one that is explicitly written into the rules as "This is for losing teams to use"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

I can't remember what this is from but I am imagining him thwarting the police closing in by singing Twist and Shout and making everybody dance before silently slipping out a back alley

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

kiimo posted:

I can't remember what this is from but I am imagining him thwarting the police closing in by singing Twist and Shout and making everybody dance before silently slipping out a back alley

the fugitive

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

He looked so dapper in that hat

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

the fugitive

Ferris Bueller is the one who sang twist and shout, also during a chicago parade but i think it was a german cultural thing, not St. Patrick's day

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I think an onside kick using a similar structure to the XFL-inspired rule could be workable. You have a "drop zone" between the kicking team's 40 and midfield (or 45 and 45) with both teams lined up on their respective yard markers sans the kicker. Ball must touch the ground in the drop zone before players on either team can leave their starting position. If the ball doesn't land in the drop zone, it goes to the receiving team at their starting position. Seems like it would add a ton of randomness with a mandatory bounce while minimizing the speed players would be coming at each other because no one would know which way the ball is going. Basically one big fumble scramble.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

kiimo posted:

The Mask

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Rogue Elephant posted:

Ferris Bueller is the one who sang twist and shout, also during a chicago parade but i think it was a german cultural thing, not St. Patrick's day

Yeah I do remember dirndl. Knowing Chicago it was probably Pulaski day but people were wearing lederhosen anyway because...it's chicago

fake edit: internet says it was Von Steuben Day Parade which takes place in September and we're not supposed to think too hard about it.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Changing the inside kick to being only in the 4th quarter would've removed this exciting moment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cINLMbSiico

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I’m okay with that.

Hank Baskett :argh:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Jameis is one of a kind.

https://twitter.com/MDFNATION/status/1770534439828799987?t=VNj31aRT-Eg-QNd0CT6qxw&s=19

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

idk about one of a kind, he's got lot in common with at least one other dude, on the very same roster too

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

fartknocker posted:

Hank Baskett

Gary Brackett

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Android Apocalypse posted:

Changing the inside kick to being only in the 4th quarter would've removed this exciting moment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cINLMbSiico

That took some serious cojones.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Onside Kicks own because it relies on special teams and requires well-coached ST play on one side and/or poorly-coached ST play on the other to pull off effectively. It should be a long-shot to stay in the game (not as neutered as they are now of course), or a useful tool if you want to be aggressive (as above).

Basically I'm still laughing that the Falcons botched the onside kick that loving bad against the Cowboys.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Gonz posted:

Gary Brackett

:confused: he was a decent linebacker for years (And returned the fumble for a TD in the Rosencopter play :laugh:) and didn’t have the onside kick hit him in the hands, unless I’m completely blanking on something he did in that Super Bowl.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Onside Kicks own because it relies on special teams and requires well-coached ST play on one side and/or poorly-coached ST play on the other to pull off effectively. It should be a long-shot to stay in the game (not as neutered as they are now of course), or a useful tool if you want to be aggressive (as above).

Basically I'm still laughing that the Falcons botched the onside kick that loving bad against the Cowboys.

4th and XX attempts would be infinitely better at whatever yardage. I'd rather watch a 4th and 25 in place of a modern onside, even though the odds for converting would be just as horrible.

At least you'd be watching a real football play and not a gimmick kick that's been officiated into stupidly low odds that rob it of even having the fun of being an oddity in the sport.

It's hard for coaching to give much of an edge to extreme luck on a football trick shot and hoping the receiving team just has a terrible hands moment.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

repeating the silent letter in a word ftw

Parallax posted:

big returns are super cool though

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
KC you mind getting your people under control? We live in a society, after all

https://amp.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article286942485.html

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

lol

quote:

On Jan. 17, police executed a search warrant at a residence in the 2000 block of Askew Avenue. Inside the residence, the affidavit said, officers found a large aqua green box with Miami Dolphins shoes and other equipment, and a duffel bag with the Dolphins logo with shoes and coats.

Outside the residence, police said they found a metal barrel with what appeared to be burned Miami Dolphins gear.

stole 25 grand of Miami poo poo, just to burn it?

Put him in the Ring of Honor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Holy poo poo that dude needs to be locked up immediately. That’s some psycho mafioso type poo poo throwing folks off 3rd story balconies

Time is a flat circle and this is our Jim Brown