Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'm going to play it on PC but I'm still getting ready to suck it up when it comes to performance drops. I played Baldur's Gate 3 at launch after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

acksplode posted:

I just started replaying FF7 for the first time since 1997, and while it's clear Square is only dipping their toe into 3D, I gotta say the presentation is still amazing. The game works within tight bounds but it never feels like it's straining against them, there's cinematic flair all over the place. It's very easy to see how it made such a big impact and I'm only a couple hours in. I was prepared for the opening FMV that smoothly transitions into AVALANCHE hopping off the train, but I had forgotten about the quick scene a few minutes later where the isometric gameplay camera swooshes down behind Cloud as he looks up at the reactor, in perfect sync with the FMV background. That got a little gasp out of me. And the music is incredible even without the novelty of CD-quality audio. It's probably redundant to write all this about goddamn FF7, but It's just so impressive how well this game from the awkward teenage era of 3D holds up.

There's something about the original beats of the FF7 intro that not even Remake could quite top. I'd venture that it's the single most iconic title presentation in the entire medium, it sort of makes me shiver to watch it. There's also this really cool way that the sound effects of the train merge into the beat of the Bombing Run music track that they kind of downplayed in Remake, in it's original form though it sounds borderline like Trent Reznor. You do get the idea that even Kitase and crew knew they couldn't fully recapture it, so they went a different route that's equally good, but I still love the nods that show how much they were paying attention, like the little *tingle* noise that they faithfully reinserted right before the logo drop. They also nail a brand new audio sting when cloud does his fashionable jump off the train that gave me a new kind of hype in 2020. I guess it doesn't hurt to have 2 decades worth of pre-production and cultural evaluation lying around on your big series lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

noticed last night that there's a new console shutdown/restmode animation since the last firmware, looks spiff

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Volte posted:

I'm going to play it on PC but I'm still getting ready to suck it up when it comes to performance drops. I played Baldur's Gate 3 at launch after all.

Ooh right cant forget Act 3 Baldur's Gate 3 at launch lol. That was rough.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

rpgs from japan living large in 2024, Granblue, SaGa, Rebirth, Persona, DD2, Erdtree, etc etc

only Helldivers can compete

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest in my experience embargos have like nothing to do with the actual quality of the game. There are embargos the day before for excellent games and a week early for crap. There's no clear line. The closest I can think of is that the earlier review code goes out the more confident a developer is in a game, especially a big game, but that's absolutely not 1-for-1 either.

Same. Games with good reviews get fear mongering because the reviews come out with the game. It comes across as mindless.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I’m honestly a bit surprised at how universally positive DD2 reviews are. I was expecting it to be a bit more divisive like the first one.

And it's leaning into the divisive stuff, which makes the reaction really interesting. Different era I guess? It's like Dragon's Dogma was predicting open world fatigue that hadn't yet set in, and now people are ready for it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

embargos used to be a red flag but now they’ve become the industry standard

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh my loving god, the Jabba's Ship level of Dark Forces Remastered was infuriating. It took me like 4 tries but I finally beat it. I pretty much have to use a guide on some of these levels or I'd be stuck. Like with Nar Shadaa, I never would've figured that out on my own.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There's nothing wrong with embargoes. Sometimes it means the thing being reviewed is crap but in any medium they're mostly for ensuring fairness so reviewers aren't all racing each other to be first.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I actually think probably has traction at Square an is another on of the reasons why they sunk so much money into HD2D. I think FF6, Chrono Trigger, and maybe even Xenogears are on the table.

After FF7, XG and Parasite Eve are the titles I think are most begging for remakes that save them from their technological bindings

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lobok posted:

There's nothing wrong with embargoes. Sometimes it means the thing being reviewed is crap but in any medium they're mostly for ensuring fairness so reviewers aren't all racing each other to be first.

Yeah especially for a game like FF7rebirth or DD2. Huge loving games and it's not reasonable to say to a reviewer "play the game sufficiently to form and opinion then bang out a review" when they've had code for a week. Also if you're trying to get rid of bugs that you know won't be present in patched code when the game releases.

There would have to be some degree of infosec as well.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Oh yeah, Parasite Eve would be easy, they could even just knock out a remaster that's on par with the excellent FF8 remaster and I'd be happy. Xenogears needs to be addressed at some point tho, they've ignored it for far too long and it's too important a title to be stuck with such little access. Einhander needs a port, too, absolutely criminal that the game is locked behind $200 collector's item status.

Makes me wonder if contemporary localisation of some of these games is still somehow mired in red tape from the joint publishing deal with Electronic Arts back then, the establishment of which was the big reason why anybody in the west got to play them in the first place, along with Legend of Mana, SaGa Frontier, Bushido Blade, Brave Fencer Musashi, etc

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Rageaholic posted:

Oh my loving god, the Jabba's Ship level of Dark Forces Remastered was infuriating. It took me like 4 tries but I finally beat it. I pretty much have to use a guide on some of these levels or I'd be stuck. Like with Nar Shadaa, I never would've figured that out on my own.

Yeah, I don't ever want to revisit those games, honestly. The only memory I have of Jedi Knight, besides dismembering stormtroopers, is running in circles around some ship or bunker trying to figure out where to go. The maps were just so loving dire to navigate that I would need to consult GameFAQs every level or two. (Which, in those days, meant closing out of the game and pulling up a text walkthrough in a browser, and reading through the author's description of the level until you recognized the place where you were stuck, then opening up the game again and trying to remember what he'd said.)

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

veni veni veni posted:

I’m honestly a bit surprised at how universally positive DD2 reviews are. I was expecting it to be a bit more divisive like the first one.
I think people were unprepared for the capital W Weird that was DD1. Now that's been out for a good long while and continual re-releases have gotten it a much wider fanbase. I'm sure there'll be plenty of people who never played the first one grabbing DD2 but the bulk is going to be people who know wolves hunt in packs.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

noticed last night that there's a new console shutdown/restmode animation since the last firmware, looks spiff

:yeah:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Some people got Rise of the Ronin early and it looks really fun. Of course, by law, they are completely terrible at it. But I'm getting a better idea of what this game is by watching someone play it than I did by the really weird preview stuff they put out.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Combat looks more like a throwback nod to something like Tenchu/Way of the Samurai rather than Ni-Oh or Ninja Gaiden, which honestly has me interested. Aside from Stranger of Paradise, the recent Team Ninja stuff has kind of all blended together for me.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
As someone who has never played Team Ninja games (Does Hyrule Warriors count?) it looks like open world Sekiro with easier combat so I preordered. You better be able to manually holster your blade like in GoT.

God drat GoT rules.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I cannot stress enough how weird it is to be playing Stalker on a couch with a controller on a large TV

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

As someone who has never played Team Ninja games (Does Hyrule Warriors count?) it looks like open world Sekiro with easier combat so I preordered. You better be able to manually holster your blade like in GoT.

God drat GoT rules.

You can. You can manually slash the blood off too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I cannot stress enough how weird it is to be playing Stalker on a couch with a controller on a large TV
Good weird?

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Jimbot posted:

Some people got Rise of the Ronin early and it looks really fun. Of course, by law, they are completely terrible at it. But I'm getting a better idea of what this game is by watching someone play it than I did by the really weird preview stuff they put out.

It does look fun. I like TN's games, even Wo Long that so many people apparently disliked so I will probably like this one too.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is there aim assist? How is aiming on a controller?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Rageaholic posted:

Good weird?

Good weird yes, SoC and CoP are two of my favorite games ever and not owning a PC anymore had me wanting to play them

Kefa posted:

Is there aim assist? How is aiming on a controller?

There is but I turned it off since it screwed with my aiming so much. Aiming isn’t too bad, m&kb still obviously better but I’m not like anymore trash at the game than normal. Had to bump sensitivity up quite a bit though

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Good weird yes, SoC and CoP are two of my favorite games ever and not owning a PC anymore had me wanting to play them

There is but I turned it off since it screwed with my aiming so much. Aiming isn’t too bad, m&kb still obviously better but I’m not like anymore trash at the game than normal. Had to bump sensitivity up quite a bit though

I may give it a try. My PC wasn't powerful enough when these games came out so I missed out. I even had the game that I ended up giving to a bunch of friends lol

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."

Xenogears needs to be addressed at some point tho, they've ignored it for far too long and it's too important a title to be stuck with such little access.

A remaster that replaced disc 2 with the original vision would be the only game I'd ever buy a Collectors Edition of.

It's really weird that they haven't cashed in on a re-release. Makes me think it's stuck in legal hell.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Arist posted:

e: Whatever the plan is for the future of Final Fantasy, I'd really like a new mainline game with jobs. Doesn't have to be turn-based, but I want to see how they do that outside of FFXIV (or Stranger of Paradise, I guess)

Yeah, this would be great. Don't try to blow the wheels off the genre again, just do a modernized turn-based combat with a deep jobs system to play around with. They've got plenty of side games to experiment with right now.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

SoC is one of my favorite games ever, too. I don't think I ever played CoP. I really need to get my hands on this trilogy soon.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Just bought a PS5, my first console since a Wii.

Really I just want to play baseball so I got MLB the show. Should all arrive in the mail here soon. Any gotchas I should know about going in? I am not a gamer, and havent played any game in the last 10 years other than Fallout 4.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Really I just want to play baseball so I got MLB the show. Should all arrive in the mail here soon. Any gotchas I should know about going in? I am not a gamer, and havent played any game in the last 10 years other than Fallout 4.

Do a thorough audit of the console settings menu. I'd recommend setting the controller mic to auto mute upon startup and adjusting the capture settings so that trophies don't record video footage. Notification Settings specifically has a lot of options to play with so you can minimize the amount of info pop-ups that occur during a game. There's more stuff in the OP if you need to upgrade your SSD or something of the sort, info should still be relevant.

Also, play Astrobot.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

BaseballPCHiker posted:

also check out super mega baseball. the newest one is 4 which i haven't played yet, but i did dump time into 3.

they are arcade games but have a shocking amount of customization and tweaking. super fun.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Do a thorough audit of the console settings menu. I'd recommend setting the controller mic to auto mute upon startup and adjusting the capture settings so that trophies don't record video footage. Notification Settings specifically has a lot of options to play with so you can minimize the amount of info pop-ups that occur during a game. There's more stuff in the OP if you need to upgrade your SSD or something of the sort, info should still be relevant.

Also, play Astrobot.

Soul Glo posted:

also check out super mega baseball. the newest one is 4 which i haven't played yet, but i did dump time into 3.

they are arcade games but have a shocking amount of customization and tweaking. super fun.

Awesome thank you!

Im so green/new that a lot of gaming trends are totally new to me. For example their were 3 different versions of the show I could buy all with various levels of BS points that Im assuming are for in game purchases. No thanks!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Awesome thank you!

Im so green/new that a lot of gaming trends are totally new to me. For example their were 3 different versions of the show I could buy all with various levels of BS points that Im assuming are for in game purchases. No thanks!

Yup, always go standard edition imo.

Maybe I'm still just feeling the sting from getting the Deluxe Edition of Ghostwire to play it a few days early :negative:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm going to finish FF7REBIRTH over the next week. I've got a five day long weekend over Easter and want to get Rise of the Ronin or DD2 but I can't decide which.

I'm holding onto hope that Rise legitimately spices up after the four or so hours people had with the game (which isn't all that long in a ubiworld I guess). I've read some dragon's dogma reviews but I'm not convinced lol.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I'm kinda the same... but leaning toward DD2 or just neither. If Ronin turns out to have solid combat in its long run I'll probably eventually play, but after Avatar and Rebirth I don't want to do any icon hunting ubisoft worlds for a bit.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BG3 physical edition for console pushed to may

https://twitter.com/larianstudios/status/1770157345047560311

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i'm not in the habit of promoting marvel stuff but i really do hope this one goes well for Hennig, she deserves a win

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb2wwEx6DVw

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Oh lord, wait till you see what sports games are now. The Show isn't quite as bad as something like the NBA2K games these days, but woof. They're all about the virtual currencies and digital trading cards these days.

Edit - Also, look into PS Plus if you're going to play online. There's 3 tiers now. The middle one "Extra" gets you access to a decent selection of games, including some of the big Sony titles from the past few years. Returnal, Demon's Souls, Ghost of Tsushima, etc etc.

Paying2Lurk fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 21, 2024

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I'd recommend setting the controller mic to auto mute upon startup

i didnt know this was an option and ive had a ps5 since launch lol. im gonna turn that on asap.

it's kind of funny and kind of embarrassing, when i played through dark souls 3 i saved recordings of my boss fights and bc the settings default to mic on and capturing input data even in game recordings, you can hear me screaming at the tv when i almost die like 3/4 of the way through :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

ShoogaSlim posted:

i didnt know this was an option and ive had a ps5 since launch lol. im gonna turn that on asap.

it's kind of funny and kind of embarrassing, when i played through dark souls 3 i saved recordings of my boss fights and bc the settings default to mic on and capturing input data even in game recordings, you can hear me screaming at the tv when i almost die like 3/4 of the way through :gonk:

This owns though, and is a good argument for leaving the mic on.