Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s my mum’s birthday tomorrow and she loved GoT so I’ll be watching it either way!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
loving amazing: Anna Camp is playing evil twins in the final season of YOU.

Perfect. No notes.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Open Source Idiom posted:

loving amazing: Anna Camp is playing evil twins in the final season of YOU.

Perfect. No notes.

Maybe one of the twins will be able to act?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
X-Men 97 is a worthy successor to the original. The melodrama you expect from the X-Men with some beautiful fight scenes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

Maybe one of the twins will be able to act?

The gently caress is this post

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Really liked Girls5Eva season 3 but lmao that the biggest issue with the first two seasons was that they were too short and then this one is even shorter. Gimme more of that shiiiiiit

I love the show, but it'd work so much better with longer seasons.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Short seasons are awful for episodic comedy because they get driven way too much by the season's narrative. They also make holiday episodes stick out like sore thumbs. Great News could've been a real hit if they'd had 23 episode seasons.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

theflyingexecutive posted:

Great News could've been a real hit if they'd had 23 episode seasons.

It had one of the funniest lines in television history.

“Your child will be born with hooves!” / “At least that’d help me narrow down who the father is.”

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Golden Bee posted:

X-Men 97 is a worthy successor to the original. The melodrama you expect from the X-Men with some beautiful fight scenes.

Any difficulty for people who haven't seen it since the actual 90s?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I probably only ever saw one seasons worth back in the 90s and it still made about enough sense. Seemed fine.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

theflyingexecutive posted:

They also make holiday episodes stick out like sore thumbs.

Do writers for shows know when their show will air? Because shows have Halloween episodes in March, and then a Christmas episode in June. I guess these days it's not really possible to have properly timed holiday episodes because shows don't get 26 episodes a season anymore so you don't get a fall half and a spring half. You just get 8 episodes thrown on the internet whenever the streamer has a gap in programming.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Do writers for shows know when their show will air?

Nope! Showrunners on down find out about an hour before the press releases go out. This can happen any time during or after filming.

E: Network shows do have a much better idea as they are usually greenlit for the beginning of a season. (If they're more-or-less episodic, holiday episodes can get slotted into an appropriate place.) Weekly release cable/streaming shows often find out later in principal. Binge releases and heavy vfx shows find out well into post.

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 21, 2024

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

There’s a fair bit of “here’s who I am and here’s what my powers are” to get everyone up to speed.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

I only saw maybe two seasons back then, and it's completely fine in that respect. Even if you don't remember the broad strokes, they did a good job of expositing everything. Very much "hello person I already know, I am X and my power is Y" but it's fast, and what else can you do?

I was surprised by how good it is. So far they nailed the feel, and the fights look really cool.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

IRQ posted:

they did a good job of expositing everything. Very much "hello person I already know, I am X and my power is Y" but it's fast, and what else can you do?

Honestly, given what the show is a continuation of some amount of awkward exposition is a pro and not a con.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I went back and watched a couple of the original X men series and I was like, I guess I didn't know what good TV and animation looked like when I was 12

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Good animation was Batman: The Animated Series.

X-Men and Spider-Man were several levels below that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fezz posted:

Good animation was Batman: The Animated Series.

X-Men and Spider-Man were several levels below that.

Some of BTAS. Five different studios did the animation so the quality can vary wildly. AKOM actually got fired because two of their episodes were so bad.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

Yeah I went back and watched a couple of the original X men series and I was like, I guess I didn't know what good TV and animation looked like when I was 12

It's wild how ok we were with stuff being about 7 frames per second.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also I was looking into why the showrunner got fired (seems like he was an rear end in a top hat and had an Onlyfans that Disney didn't like?) and they said he's completed work on the first two seasons already, how many eps is that?

Also also when I was watching it yesterday, I was struck by the realization that Storm would be an s-tier RPDR guest judge.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'm here for non-comic adaptation actually seeing Cyclops own. It's so loving rare.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shageletic posted:

I'm here for non-comic adaptation actually seeing Cyclops own. It's so loving rare.

https://twitter.com/CaptKrakoa/status/1770424365139587390

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

Also I was looking into why the showrunner got fired (seems like he was an rear end in a top hat and had an Onlyfans that Disney didn't like?) and they said he's completed work on the first two seasons already, how many eps is that?

Also also when I was watching it yesterday, I was struck by the realization that Storm would be an s-tier RPDR guest judge.

"The woven fabrics and fierce style do you well, child!"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

All these years and still no way to shoot beams without pressing a button. An enemy could tap it too and make him zap his friends.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
My headcanon is that the button allows him to modulate the power of the beams. Because here he's using the beams to just throw mooks into walls, while later in the episode he cuts a Sentinel's head in half with the beam

Maybe it's not even headcanon, maybe it's just something real that I heard when I was 9 and is still knocking around in my brain

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When he used the beams to help him land from free fall it occurred to me that the beams are subjecting his neck to slightly less than 1G of force every time.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I felt like I knew he had a button to open and close the goggles but thought it was in his gloves like SpiderMan. I definitely didn’t realize that giant thing on his head was a button.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

He seems to be able to control the intensity when he's just flipping his sunglasses up instead of the visor, so who knows.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Khanstant posted:

All these years and still no way to shoot beams without pressing a button. An enemy could tap it too and make him zap his friends.
That's because it's x-men '97. If it was x-men '24 it would be a touchscreen and he would have to go five menus deep to get to the option to turn on and off his beam.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well my understanding of it is he can just squint to lessen the beam. But the goggles give him a shutter he can control with some degree of accuracy. It’s literally just a matter of how much of his eye is exposed.

I have no idea if any of this is canon or just what kid me imagined.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh right lmao I just assumed they did a time gap to make it modern but then obviously not if they're calling it 97. In the 90s we had buttons. Should be like unlocking phone with face, just takes a video and modulates beam according to level of excitement. Yes, this means he has to keep his eyes closed and is no better than not having the device which means they should bench Cyclops which is great.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

IRQ posted:

He seems to be able to control the intensity when he's just flipping his sunglasses up instead of the visor, so who knows.

I thought when he was without sunglasses/visor, he COULDN'T control the intensity, hence the whole building blowing up when the bad guys took his visor.

zoux posted:

When he used the beams to help him land from free fall it occurred to me that the beams are subjecting his neck to slightly less than 1G of force every time.

Also when he does this (awesome) move, he doesn't appear to touch the button. Which kinda supports my "the button is only necessary for non-lethal beams" theory.

In case you couldn't tell, I really liked X-Men 97, and can't wait for more. My concerns about Wolverine's voice were totally unfounded (though a couple other voices are a bit iffy to me)

STAC Goat posted:

It doesn’t make a lot of sense.

I know, it's great :D

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 21, 2024

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. His beams just fire uncontrollably at full blast without the red crystal glasses or whatever. They block the beams while somehow not shooting them back into his face or out the sides. And somehow he never just wakes up and opens his eyes before he finds his glasses and blows up the Mansion.

It doesn’t make a lot of sense.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Adding onto everyone who says X-Men '97 owns. I was a little worried about the animation when I saw the trailers, but watching those two episodes felt so drat good. Way better than I was expecting, the show is basically a perfect continuation. I have no complaints.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Khanstant posted:

There's a real danger if you make it too easy to press

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The voice actress for Rogue is actually not southern. Rather she is Canadian and served two terms as an MP in the interim between the two shows.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

OldSenileGuy posted:

I thought when he was without sunglasses/visor, he COULDN'T control the intensity, hence the whole building blowing up when the bad guys took his visor.

Yeah when he has no visor or glasses he's just always blasting, it's why he had to close his eyes and get his rear end beat by the mutant racist that knocked it off.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
He doesn't have to push the button to make it work, he just wants to because it looks cool

Anway, watched the first ep. It's good. Was assuming it would be an empty nostalgia exercise, but it feeps like they're actually taking the whole idea seriously and just making more of it. The best compliment I can pay it is that it feels like I remember the show, rather than what the show actually was.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know everyone hates Joss Whedon but his run on Astonishing X-men does the coolest poo poo with Cyclops of any run, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha yeah I think that's the run that made me upgrade Cyclops from "delete this POS character and pretend it never happened" to "eh who cares least he's not Angel."