Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Tankbuster posted:

I don't think that North Korea has minefields with either the PRC or Russia.

Im not trying to support any argument, just dipping in to clarify this listed point that came up. According to Human Rights Watch, there are unconfirmed reports of such.

HRW posted:

Since late 2021, there have been unconfirmed reports about mines buried along the Tumen and Yalu Rivers to prevent border crossing to China. Media with contacts in North Korea reported that authorities started laying landmines around the northern border since August 2023, and six people died when land mines went off trying to cross the border near Musan county, North Hamgyong province, in September and October 2023.48

Distinguishing fact from fiction about matters between DPRK and PRC seems like a nearly impossible task, so for now they're just reports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I haven't seen any discussion about Chuck Schumer's speech a few days ago. I found the video worth watching.

Transcript: https://www.timesofisrael.com/full-text-of-senator-chuck-schumers-speech-israeli-elections-are-the-only-way/
Video: https://www.youtube.com/live/9VgXMcm_9l0?si=HfbjXI6eQANOlrE7

I thought it was interesting to see the most senior Jewish elected official in the US, who (in my opinion anyway) is incredibly biased towards Israel, identify right wing Israelis and Benjamin Netanyahu as major obstacles towards peace.

He listed four obstacles to peace. The first and third shouldn't be a surprise given the speaker, but the other two were interesting to hear:

1. Hamas, and the Palestinians who support and tolerate them. (He called it "their evil ways" :rolleyes:)
2. Radical right-wing Israelis in government and society.
3. Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas.
4. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

He went into detail on all four.

This has mostly shown up in the news as Schumer calling for Netanyahu's ouster and for new elections, and there's been some push back from Netanyahu about it, and it highlights the Democrat/Republican split on Israel:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/20/us/politics/netanyahu-schumer-israel.html

It's also kind of darkly amusing to see Netanyahu complain about interfering in Israeli politics while inserting himself into American politics so deeply.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

DeadlyMuffin posted:

He listed four obstacles to peace. The first and third shouldn't be a surprise given the speaker, but the other two were interesting to hear:

1. Hamas, and the Palestinians who support and tolerate them. (He called it "their evil ways" :rolleyes:)

This sounds like just whataboutism since both sides are clearly equally obstacles to peace, and we'll land back at Israel has no choice but to defense themselves. I realize it's jaded to say so, but I do think this is just performative to try to appease the part of the Democratic base that is livid about our unconditional support for genocide.

Ousting Netanyahu wouldn't do much, because the entire Israeli government would do the same things he's doing.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-68605401.amp

Anthony Blinken says 100% of the population in Gaza faces acute shortages, calls on Israel to do something to ensure aid gets to civilians, Israel says that’s the responsibility of UNWRA (that they got defunded with fake evidence) and Gaza police forces (which they are actively targeting even more than usual in the past week).

I dunno I remember when I was in a MEU the whole point was that we could deploy a battalion sized force anywhere in the world within hours notice. Gaza is conveniently close to the ocean and the US logistics chain. I’m sure marines would be perfectly capable of distributing food supplies. Wonder where the hustle went.

been saying for quite a while that if the US gave a single solitary gently caress about the humanitarian situation beyond making noises purely for appearances there'd be a campaign to supply civilians that would be reminiscent in scope as that of the first weeks of the russian invasion of ukraine. it's incredibly obvious when the US actually wants something to happen because it moves heaven and earth to make it happen

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Nail Rat posted:

This sounds like just whataboutism since both sides are clearly equally obstacles to peace, and we'll land back at Israel has no choice but to defense themselves. I realize it's jaded to say so, but I do think this is just performative to try to appease the part of the Democratic base that is livid about our unconditional support for genocide.

Ousting Netanyahu wouldn't do much, because the entire Israeli government would do the same things he's doing.

The “smart move” for both the dems who cannot not support Israel and smarter zionists is allow this to go on just long enough to make Gaza uninhabitable, kill off as many Palestinians and get as much of a foothold in Gaza, divide up the West Bank as much as possible before the election gets too close, and then let Bibi and the far right take all the blame while installing a more coy “centrist” Israeli leader who can effectively continue the same policies without all the noise.

For this to work it all requires the Hamas has been destroyed or placated enough to not be attacking Israeli military outposts, which will in turn lead to demands for retaliation that will quickly put a lie to the whole narrative that the genocide campaign is a product of the far-right or Bibi and his cabinet alone, and that Bibi will go quietly enough which I think are very unlikely.

Nail Rat posted:

I think the dem establishment types and liberal Zionists sincerely believe that Netanyahu is the root the problem and that it’s all a PR issue that can be fixed by rolling the genocide a little bit slower and quieter when the adults get in the room.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 21, 2024

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Are there estimates on the cost of rebuilding the Gaza Strip? Cause Israel obviously should be forced to foot the bill for the destruction they caused but a country of ten million people completely rebuilding the infrastructure of two million people is going to be pretty onerous. Like the destruction of the state talked about earlier in the thread will likely be accomplished by the devastating economic impacts of the entire productive output of your country being rerouted for years to undo the effects of your carpetbombing.

I’ve heard reports that 70% of buildings in Gaza city were damaged or destroyed and it seems like every hospital has been hit at this point. Rebuilding is going to be a staggeringly expensive and lengthy process, and slow walking this reconstruction would end up supporting the project of ethnic cleansing.

Like it must be tens of billions of dollars, maybe a hundred billion. And Israel has a history of blocking importation of construction material. So what’s the plan? Is the US going to pay for it? Ask the UN to? Force Israel to? Will Israel be impelled to throw open the blockade to allow for a jillion tons of concrete and steel to enter the strip? If they refuse what will happen, exactly?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

celadon posted:

Are there estimates on the cost of rebuilding the Gaza Strip? Cause Israel obviously should be forced to foot the bill for the destruction they caused but a country of ten million people completely rebuilding the infrastructure of two million people is going to be pretty onerous. Like the destruction of the state talked about earlier in the thread will likely be accomplished by the devastating economic impacts of the entire productive output of your country being rerouted for years to undo the effects of your carpetbombing.

I’ve heard reports that 70% of buildings in Gaza city were damaged or destroyed and it seems like every hospital has been hit at this point. Rebuilding is going to be a staggeringly expensive and lengthy process, and slow walking this reconstruction would end up supporting the project of ethnic cleansing.

Like it must be tens of billions of dollars, maybe a hundred billion. And Israel has a history of blocking importation of construction material. So what’s the plan? Is the US going to pay for it? Ask the UN to? Force Israel to? Will Israel be impelled to throw open the blockade to allow for a jillion tons of concrete and steel to enter the strip? If they refuse what will happen, exactly?

https://www.un.org/unispal/document...lease-excerpts/

I think we all know now, but been the plan for a long time. Gazans were able to make do with less a lot longer than Israel anticipated and kept food and water production far above what was predicted. Israel is not going to waste the opportunity to finally make the strip uninhabitable.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

celadon posted:

Any rebuilding that israel does is going to be greatly or exclusively preferenced towards reincorporation for non-arab populations. They will not be rebuilding gaza for gazans. Transitional uninhabitability is the point.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There have been negotiations under which Arab states have offered to fund the rebuilding of Gaza, in exchange for Israel allowing a two-state solution to happen, eg here.
https://jewishinsider.com/2024/03/task-force-arab-states-rebuilding-gaza-jinsa-vandenberg-coalition/
I think this misunderstands Israel's motivations though - they have absolutely zero interest in doing anything that could be regarded as a 'reward' for Palestinians. I suspect they will leave Gaza as a shattered tent city to serve as a reminder.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Esran posted:

Thank you, Inferior Third Season, for much needed moderation of these dangerous ideas.

It would be harmful to discussion if posters couldn't get away with deflecting from Israel's ethnic cleansing and mass murder campaign by asking "what about China".

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I haven't seen any discussion about Chuck Schumer's speech a few days ago. I found the video worth watching.

Transcript: https://www.timesofisrael.com/full-text-of-senator-chuck-schumers-speech-israeli-elections-are-the-only-way/

I thought it was interesting to see the most senior Jewish elected official in the US, who (in my opinion anyway) is incredibly biased towards Israel, identify right wing Israelis and Benjamin Netanyahu as major obstacles towards peace.

This has mostly shown up in the news as Schumer calling for Netanyahu's ouster and for new elections, and there's been some push back from Netanyahu about it, and it highlights the Democrat/Republican split on Israel:

It's also kind of darkly amusing to see Netanyahu complain about interfering in Israeli politics while inserting himself into American politics so deeply.

Isn't Abbas/Fatah little more than a puppet for Israel at this point?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Laughing Zealot posted:

Isn't Abbas/Fatah little more than a puppet for Israel at this point?

This is something like Schumer's critique: Abbas has no legitimacy among the vast majority of Palestinian people, and for peace to happen, the guy in his chair needs to have that legitimacy.

quote:

Over the years, President Abbas has evaded the democratic process, declining to hold elections for over a decade and failing to empower future leadership. Despite his long tenure leading the Palestinian Authority, he has achieved few of his self-proclaimed goals. The Palestinian Authority remains corrupt and continues to incite instability through the martyr payment system. Palestinians are no more prosperous, no safer, and no freer than they were when Abbas first took power. As a result, President Abbas has lost the trust of the Palestinian people

Schumer separately criticizes him for his long history of antisemitism and Holocaust denial (this is true - Abbas has a long history of espousing anti-Jewish conspiracy theories, particularly about the Holocaust, and later on apologizing, which is politically counterproductive). Schumer also criticizes him for not condemning the murder of civilians on October 7 (it's impossible for me to believe anyone would have cared either way if he had done this). I think these points are basically irrelevant compared to the earlier ones, but they reinforce Schumer's rhetorical position as a "friend of Israel" who is not "soft on antisemitism" etc.

quote:

Furthermore, he is a terrible role model and spiritual leader. In the past, he has participated in outright Holocaust denial, attempting to justify Nazis’ actions. This embrace of antisemitism extended to his refusal, for weeks, to condemn the loss of Israeli civilian life on October 7.

And then he ends by repeating the significant point: Abbas can't represent Palestine in a peace process because Palestinians do not believe he represents their interests.

quote:

Should Abbas remain, the Palestinian people can have no assurance that a Palestinian state would be able to ensure their safety or prosperity. Nor can they have any belief that the government would be free of corruption.

It is really incredible how unpopular Abbas has managed to make himself. Among his constituents he's the corrupt comprador, but it makes him no more popular in Israel where he's the Holocaust denier. It's obvious he's not going to be the leader who accomplishes independent statehood for Palestine, so he needs to step aside for the leader who will. But it goes without saying that it makes no difference unless the State of Israel is positioned to enter reasonable negotiations instead of what it's currently doing, the opposite of that: committing a genocide.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 21, 2024

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

quote:

Over the years, President Abbas has evaded the democratic process, declining to hold elections for over a decade and failing to empower future leadership.

How accurate is this? I know that Israel controls the ability of Gaza and the West Bank to hold elections and I was under the impression that they wouldn't allow elections to be held because Hamas would almost certainly win them. Or, rather, win them again.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Israel new raid of al-Shifa hospital, which was one of the only healthcare facilities left under partial operation.

An uncharacteristically non-credulous article from today's NYT:
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/21/world/middleeast/israel-al-shifa-hospital-raid-gaza.html

quote:

One of Israel’s longest and deadliest hospital raids of the Gaza war stretched into a fourth day on Thursday, as the military said that it had killed dozens of people it described as terrorists in the previous 24 hours in its operation at Al-Shifa Hospital.

Israel has staged a series of raids on Al-Shifa in northern Gaza, the largest medical facility in the territory, arguing that Hamas used it as a command center and concealed weapons and fighters in underground tunnels there. Since the latest attack began on Monday, the Israeli military has reported killing more than 140 people it said were terrorists in and around the hospital, far more than in past raids. The Israeli accounts could not be independently verified.

Yesterday from al Jazeera:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/3/20/israeli-military-says-90-people-killed-in-gazas-al-shifa-hospital-raid

quote:

Al-Shifa, the Gaza Strip’s largest hospital before the current conflict started, is one of the few healthcare facilities that is even partially operational in the north of the enclave.

It housed more than 7,000 patients and displaced people before the latest attack, the Gaza government said.

On Wednesday, the Israeli military said about 300 suspects were interrogated at the complex and more than 160 detained were brought to Israel “for further investigation”.

“Over the past day, the troops have eliminated terrorists and located weapons in the hospital area, while preventing harm to civilians, patients, medical teams, and medical equipment,” the military said in a statement.
The weapons are totally right there, just out of the picture.

quote:

Displaced Palestinians spoke to Al Jazeera about their hours-long detentions during the Israeli army’s storming and siege of al-Shifa. The raid started early on Monday and the military said it had sent in special forces supported by infantry and tanks.

“We were in one of the buildings inside the al-Shifa Medical Complex,” said Saleh Abu Sakran. “The soldiers fired at the building where we are. They asked us to take off our clothes and go down to the hospital yard and sat us inside a residential building next to the hospital where we were interrogated.”

On Tuesday night, the army ordered them to head towards southern areas of the Gaza Strip, Abu Sakran said. He did not know the fate of the detainees inside the complex.

One woman recounted the ordeal she faced during her forced discharge from al-Shifa.

“I faced great difficulties in walking among the Israeli vehicles and bulldozers, and the children suffered greatly, and tanks fired at us,” said the woman, a diabetic.

“Gaza is not Gaza. All the places are destroyed. We went three days without eating. I felt like I was going to die.”

Some of the wounded and sick discharged from al-Shifa arrived at the Baptist Hospital in Gaza City for treatment.

Moath al-Kahlout, reporting from Gaza City, said the Israeli shelling has not stopped since Tuesday.

“It has been ongoing. Many were killed in the streets while fleeing and their bodies are still there,” he said.

Israel faced fierce criticism last November when troops first raided al-Shifa Hospital. They claimed to have uncovered tunnels ostensibly used as command and control centres by Hamas.

Hamas and medical staff denied the hospital was used for military purposes or to shelter fighters.

https://aje.io/fw14mj?update=2787640

quote:

Israeli forces are continuing attacks on homes near al-Shifa Hospital, according to our colleagues on the ground, who added that the forces are preventing ambulances or civil defence crew from reaching those injured from the attacks.

Wafa news agency earlier reported that dozens of civilians had been killed by Israeli missiles, artillery shelling and gunfire in and around the hospital in Gaza City which the Israeli military has now issued a full evacuation order for.

In other war crime news, the IDF did some airstrikes targeting two refugee camps, killing 19 in one (including nine children), and 8 in another:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/israeli-airstrikes-kill-28-in-urban-refugee-camps-in-central-gaza

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

shimmy shimmy posted:

How accurate is this? I know that Israel controls the ability of Gaza and the West Bank to hold elections and I was under the impression that they wouldn't allow elections to be held because Hamas would almost certainly win them. Or, rather, win them again.

[My understanding as a dummy who just reads news articles is that] Abbas blames Israel for there not being a Palestinian Authority election, and he is correct in the limited sense that Israel won't allow an election in East Jerusalem. But he uses that as an excuse not to hold an election overall, because he knows he'd lose (probably to Hamas).

quote:

Abbas, 85, issued a presidential decree postponing the May 22 parliamentary and July 31 presidential elections, the official news agency WAFA said.
He blamed Israel for uncertainty about whether it would allow the elections to proceed in East Jerusalem as well as in the occupied West Bank and Gaza.

"Facing this difficult situation, we decided to postpone," Abbas said early Friday after an impassioned speech in which he declared: "Our people are excited for elections. There is enthusiasm... but what about Jerusalem? Where is Jerusalem?"
He said the elections would be postponed "until the participation of our people in Jerusalem is guaranteed."
But many Palestinians regarded the Jerusalem issue as an excuse to avoid elections that Fatah might well lose to its Islamist rivals Hamas, as it did in the last parliamentary ballot in 2006.

But the situation has changed since Abbas called the elections in January.
He and his allies have been weakened by younger challengers from within his own party. In March, jailed Fatah leader Marwan Barghouti and Nasser Al-Qudwa - a nephew of the party's late founder Yasser Arafat - announced a rival slate of candidates to run against Abbas's lineup.
Hamas chief Ismail Haniyeh urged Abbas to defy Israel and go ahead with the polls.

He had hinted at the delay for weeks by claiming that Israel had not agreed to permit East Jerusalem Palestinians to vote in the city.
A spokesman for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office said earlier this week that there had been no formal Israeli announcement on whether it would allow Palestinian voting in Jerusalem - as it did during the last elections in 2006 - and Israeli officials said on Thursday that there had been no change. read more
After the postponement Prime Minister Mohammad Shtayyeh said he had decided to reinstate government staff who resigned from their posts in order to run for the election.
But such measures are unlikely to stem the criticism.
"The postponement of legislative elections is illegal. It was made by a president who lost his legitimacy over a decade," said Mohammad Dahlan, a former Palestinian security minister and a critic of Abbas.

The delay drew immediate criticism from opponents and from would-be voters - no Palestinian under 34 has taken part in national elections.
It also came on the day that campaigning was due to begin - preparations were already well under way, with thousands of new voters and three dozen party lists registered.
"As a young Palestinian citizen, I call for conducting elections, and I want my right to elect so I would see new faces, young faces, and see new political stances," said Wael Deys, from Hebron.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/palestinian-elections-delayed-says-president-mahmoud-abbas-2021-04-29/

I'd also add that "Israel prevents the elections because they don't want Hamas to win" is unlikely because Israel had, for decades until Oct 7, bolstered Hamas in order to make a two-state solution publicly understood to be impossible. It's the United States that wanted Hamas out of power because they wanted a public perception of progress toward a two-state solution.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 21, 2024

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
On that note, for like, a while Hamas has been significantly more popular than Fatah in the West Bank, often moreso than in Gaza proper.

Fatah/PA are rightfully seen as complicit thugs who signed the West Bank into an awful deal, do nothing about the IDF-escorted settler lynchings, and mainly exist to put down protests & get pointed to by the US.

https://aja.ws/rc5knz

quote:

Survey Studies:

71% of respondents are satisfied with Hamas’ decision to launch the October 7 attack

70% are satisfied with Hamas, compared to 27% for Fatah

61% are satisfied with Sinwar and 14% are satisfied with Abbas

84% want Abbas to resign, and 65% believe that power is a burden on the people

Haniyeh will receive 70% if he runs against Abbas, who will receive 22% of the votes

73% rejected the American-Arab plan to reform the authority and return to negotiations

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 21, 2024

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Civilized Fishbot posted:

[My understanding as a dummy who just reads news articles is that] Abbas blames Israel for there not being a Palestinian Authority election, and he is correct in the limited sense that Israel won't allow an election in East Jerusalem. But he uses that as an excuse not to hold an election overall, because he knows he'd lose (probably to Hamas).

I'd also add that "Israel prevents the elections because they don't want Hamas to win" is unlikely because Israel had, for decades until Oct 7, bolstered Hamas in order to make a two-state solution publicly understood to be impossible. It's the United States that wanted Hamas out of power because they wanted a public perception of progress toward a two-state solution.

The status quo where Hamas controls the strip and Fatah controls the West Bank is what Israel wants because it divides the Palestinians into two factions. An unified government under any Palestinian party or faction is the last thing Israel would want.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

rscott posted:

The status quo where Hamas controls the strip and Fatah controls the West Bank is what Israel wants because it divides the Palestinians into two factions. An unified government under any Palestinian party or faction is the last thing Israel would want.

That's a good point. In the bottom line I think we should trust all the non-Abbas Palestinians saying "you could hold an election right now but you don't because you'd obviously lose your seat as a comprador to the occupiers."

And the big picture is that representative democracy is difficult enough for first-world states, it's pretty loving impossible in the Palestinian context where your land is really administrated by another state that hates you and wants you defeated if not dead. And one of the failure cases is Fatah & Abbas.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 21, 2024

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
So is Netanyahu going to present a speech to the House at Speaker Johnson's invitation? I'd rather not have to hear him speak and let Bibi get even more leverage for poisoning American political discourse.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
Thanks for everyone who helped explain more about the internal Palestinian political situation, that helps refine my understanding considerably.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

One of the most likely reasons for Oct 7 too was that Hamas was increasingly being seen as a passive or even collaborationist faction after the March of Return protests while smaller groups like PIJ and Lions Den were seen as the new real resistance.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 21, 2024

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think that either Hamas nor the PA are intentionally collaborationalist, but both are so woefully incompetent that they nonetheless prove extremely useful to Israel. Netanyahu based his whole approach to Palestine on this fact (which worked great up until Hamas turned out to be even more stupid than anyone could have anticipated).

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I don't think that either Hamas nor the PA are intentionally collaborationalist, but both are so woefully incompetent that they nonetheless prove extremely useful to Israel. Netanyahu based his whole approach to Palestine on this fact (which worked great up until Hamas turned out to be even more stupid than anyone could have anticipated).

Was Hamas stupid for doing October 7? Obviously completely calloused to the loss of enemy civilian life, and demonstrating an inhuman comfort with inevitable danger to their own civilians, but that's not at all unique among political parties or armies. And like SMEGMA_MAIL says, Hamas was in serious competition and needed to make a big move to stay in power.

So I think the operation as planned was a rational way to pursue the party's own interests - where it went wrong was for unpredictable reasons: the discovery of the Nova Festival and the IDF's lack of readiness resulted in far more civilian death than planned, including a lot of tourists/dual nationals dying or being kidnapped, laying the ideological foundation for Israel to unleash a total humanitarian catastrophe, either a genocide or a proto-genocide. But I don't think Hamas could have anticipated that on October 6.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 21, 2024

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

What would the competent approach of Hamas look like? Wait quietly as Palestine is ethnically cleansed in a slow(er) and quiet(er) genocide, rather than a louder and faster one?

Pentecoastal Elites fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 21, 2024

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Reports are that the IDF is performing mass executions of prisoners

International community must act immediately to stop Israeli army’s massacre of Palestinians at Al-Shifa Hospital

quote:

A survivor who asked to be identified only as “M.K.” confirmed that Israeli soldiers repeatedly took prisoners into the hospital’s morgue area, that gunshots were then heard, and that the soldiers left without the prisoners. “The soldiers detained me and handcuffed me in the hospital courtyard; I was left undressed for more than nine hours,” M.K. stated.

“About four times during that period, I saw soldiers lead groups of detainees—[always] at least three people and [never] more than 10—into the hospital buildings, particularly the morgue building where bodies had previously been kept,” added M.K. “Gunshots were heard, with the soldiers then leaving the area to bring another group there.”

Another witness, who preferred to remain completely anonymous due to safety concerns, and who was able to leave Al-Shifa Medical Complex recently, confirmed to the Euro-Med Monitor team that he witnessed Israeli forces taking eight or 10 Palestinian civilians at a time towards the morgue area. He then heard heavy gunfire, and the Israeli forces later left without the civilians.

Piell fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 21, 2024

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

What would the competent approach of Hamas look like? Wait quietly as Palestine is ethnically cleansed in a slow(er) and quiet(er) genocide, rather than a louder and faster one?

Secure and expand Palestine's borders by force, or enlist sponsors to do it. Outdo the Zionists at their own game.

Not saying it's practical, but anything less just changes the timetable.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Preen Dog posted:

Secure and expand Palestine's borders by force, or enlist sponsors to do it. Outdo the Zionists at their own game.

You can't really accomplish this as a guerilla force, because that would require static defensive positions on terrain the enemy is familiar with. Think ISIS; they started really cratering when they attempted to establish a state.

What we're seeing in Gaza right now is effectively what the Viet Cong and the Taliban did; hit-and-run tactics from hidden positions & tunnels, as few "fair fights" as possible. It requires ceding territory in the short term and risks the occupying force doing what they want with the civillians, but it's the only real approach to asymmetrical warfare where you aren't the side funded by the country that can print free money.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

piL posted:

Im not trying to support any argument, just dipping in to clarify this listed point that came up. According to Human Rights Watch, there are unconfirmed reports of such.

Distinguishing fact from fiction about matters between DPRK and PRC seems like a nearly impossible task, so for now they're just reports

yeah unconfirmed. At the same time there's enough people regularly working in the PRC or Russia for work that the NIS regularly honeypots korean immigrant labor into going through china and to Seoul for tabloid headlines.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DeadlyMuffin posted:

The problem with Schumer's position is Israel isn't going to elect someone who wants to work towards peace. You'll get a slightly less corrupt guy who'll be as bloodthirsty but will be doing it because he wants to and not because he has to keep his rear end out of jail. The Israeli populace is far-right. No matter when or how this ends Hamas is going to end up more popular than ever. He's living in a fantasy world.

National Parks
Apr 6, 2016

This is worse than anything that happened on october 7th.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Pretty sure this has been going on for awhile. Didn't they dig up corpses wrapped in plastic after the IDF left a hospital a month or two ago?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

This is tremendously hosed up

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Was Hamas stupid for doing October 7? Obviously completely calloused to the loss of enemy civilian life, and demonstrating an inhuman comfort with inevitable danger to their own civilians, but that's not at all unique among political parties or armies. And like SMEGMA_MAIL says, Hamas was in serious competition and needed to make a big move to stay in power.

So I think the operation as planned was a rational way to pursue the party's own interests - where it went wrong was for unpredictable reasons: the discovery of the Nova Festival and the IDF's lack of readiness resulted in far more civilian death than planned, including a lot of tourists/dual nationals dying or being kidnapped, laying the ideological foundation for Israel to unleash a total humanitarian catastrophe, either a genocide or a proto-genocide. But I don't think Hamas could have anticipated that on October 6.
Supernova certainly made it a lot worse, but their actual error was strategic - there was obviously a large group of fighters who were instructed to kill as many civilians as possible. If they had decided to do a mission focused on taking hostages instead of mass murder then encountering Supernova would've been a stroke of luck.

Neurolimal posted:

You can't really accomplish this as a guerilla force, because that would require static defensive positions on terrain the enemy is familiar with. Think ISIS; they started really cratering when they attempted to establish a state.

What we're seeing in Gaza right now is effectively what the Viet Cong and the Taliban did; hit-and-run tactics from hidden positions & tunnels, as few "fair fights" as possible. It requires ceding territory in the short term and risks the occupying force doing what they want with the civillians, but it's the only real approach to asymmetrical warfare where you aren't the side funded by the country that can print free money.
Issue being they don't seem to have very much ability to actually 'hit', or indeed anywhere good to 'run' to. By Hamas' own numbers they're taking 25 casualties for every IDF soldier who dies - enormously worse than the insurgencies in Vietnam or Afghanistan, and they're also facing a proportionally much larger force.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

https://www.axios.com/2024/03/21/us-submits-gaza-ceasefire-resolution-un-israel-hamas

I really wish this had happened sooner. I am glad that actions are being taken that will prevent further deaths, but I am also filled with overwhelming rage when I remember that America blocked previous calls for a ceasefire twice. I start to physically shake with anger when I think of all the lives that could have been saved had America not voted against the ceasefire the first time.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Supernova certainly made it a lot worse, but their actual error was strategic - there was obviously a large group of fighters who were instructed to kill as many civilians as possible. If they had decided to do a mission focused on taking hostages instead of mass murder then encountering Supernova would've been a stroke of luck

This is not obvious at all

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Supernova certainly made it a lot worse, but their actual error was strategic - there was obviously a large group of fighters who were instructed to kill as many civilians as possible. If they had decided to do a mission focused on taking hostages instead of mass murder then encountering Supernova would've been a stroke of luck.

Citation please

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

https://www.axios.com/2024/03/21/us-submits-gaza-ceasefire-resolution-un-israel-hamas

I really wish this had happened sooner. I am glad that actions are being taken that will prevent further deaths, but I am also filled with overwhelming rage when I remember that America blocked previous calls for a ceasefire twice. I start to physically shake with anger when I think of all the lives that could have been saved had America not voted against the ceasefire the first time.

Isn't this the exact same bullshit pitch for a deal that the US has been pushing all along, and which Hamas has already rejected?

Hamas wants an end to the genocide. Israel wants the hostages, and time to give their death squads a bit of R&R before they get back into it. They explicitly do not want the war to end.

Unless the US has ordered Israel to permanently end the war, I doubt Hamas will agree to release the hostages. That's been their position all along: The hostages for a peace agreement.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Slanderer posted:

Agreed. They may have killed those civilians without orders. I'm curious if we have any insight into the instructions they were given.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Slanderer posted:

The Sean posted:

Citation please

According to Hamas, their fighters were extremely disciplined. But they also claimed that Israeli helicopter was the first to open fire at the nova festival. This is stated here: https://www.palestinechronicle.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/PDF.pdf

According to multiple eyewitnesses and video, Hamas was the first to attack at the festival. IDF didn’t show up until 7 hours later: https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2023/10/middleeast/hamas-music-festival-attack-investigation-cmd-intl/

So, either Hamas is lying about their disciplined troops or are lying about orders targeting civilians. Based on their “disciplined troops” verbiage and the amount of civilian death that occurred, it’s not a big leap to assume they were told there are no bad targets. At a minimum, I think it’s safe to assume they weren’t told to not murder civilians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Kalit posted:

Based on their “disciplined troops” verbiage and the amount of civilian death that occurred, it’s not a big leap to assume they were told there are no bad targets.

It seems like a very big leap to assume that.