Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

what is the deal with spears having so much worse throwing arcs than hammers? it feels really hard to position for throwing like selune's spear, you basically have to be outdoors with perfect line of sight, while dwarven thrower basically always has a valid arc if you can see one of their toes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Spears I believe have a higher release point and the projectile arc is model-accurate instead of just releasing from a predetermined point. I noticed this on Karlach where stacking Enlarge/Colossus elixirs would start to mess with her throwing angles.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

really annoying. having to swap to the hammer more or less permanently screwed up my thrower build :mad:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Shard posted:

the flaming fists are mercenaries that answer to the highest bidder. gently caress em. In the face of corruption, armed resistance is the only answer!

I'm glad this game doesn't have a reputation thing like old games did.

I have talked my way out of crimes so far because I'm afraid of their giant robits with sky high stats

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

exquisite tea posted:

Spears I believe have a higher release point and the projectile arc is model-accurate instead of just releasing from a predetermined point. I noticed this on Karlach where stacking Enlarge/Colossus elixirs would start to mess with her throwing angles.

wait does that mean actual Dwarves are diegetically better throwers? lmao

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

I have talked my way out of crimes so far because I'm afraid of their giant robits with sky high stats

I break their robots and then sell their guts!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
There really needs to be more stuff to craft using infernal metal/iron.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

grack posted:

There really needs to be more stuff to craft using infernal metal/iron.

Or at least let me really bump up my rep with Dammon for just handing it over. Anything!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Is the RP reason for it being everywhere that Gortash and company brought a bunch back from hell along with the Crown to use in gearing up their army? At first I thought they just REALLY wanted to make sure you didn’t miss out on the chance to fix Karlach. But several vendors make comments about how they are getting nonstop orders to craft infernal weapons when usually they see maybe one piece a year. So they seem to have tried to integrate it into the story a bit

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Infernal iron codpiece

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Docjowles posted:

Is the RP reason for it being everywhere that Gortash and company brought a bunch back from hell along with the Crown to use in gearing up their army? At first I thought they just REALLY wanted to make sure you didn’t miss out on the chance to fix Karlach. But several vendors make comments about how they are getting nonstop orders to craft infernal weapons when usually they see maybe one piece a year. So they seem to have tried to integrate it into the story a bit

It's a little bit confusing because Karlach's engine is a prototype for the Steel Watch, it was implanted by Zariel, but the Steel Watch was also based on a Gondian design. So I'm thinking Gort approached Zariel and was like 'here's some sick tech I stole from some gnomes, I'll probably enslave them later, but I think we can work together on this, want a test subject?' and Zariel was like 'yeah aight'

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
My fourth time I think going through act 2, and I only today discovered the morgue.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Good ring in there especially for dealing with pesky Sharrans.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Kingtheninja posted:

My fourth time I think going through act 2, and I only today discovered the morgue.

I'm still discovering poo poo. This game is so big and there are so many little details. I think it was my 4th playthrough where I found that door next to Wither's tomb with the book of dead gods inside it.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Shard posted:

I'm still discovering poo poo. This game is so big and there are so many little details. I think it was my 4th playthrough where I found that door next to Wither's tomb with the book of dead gods inside it.

Yeah. I was reading some guide and it referenced a big zone in act 3 way off to the west of the bridge to Wyrms rock. I’ve beaten the game twice trying to be extremely thorough and had no idea it was there. And it has a substantial amount of content and some good loot! It is insane how big the world is.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Docjowles posted:

Yeah. I was reading some guide and it referenced a big zone in act 3 way off to the west of the bridge to Wyrms rock. I’ve beaten the game twice trying to be extremely thorough and had no idea it was there. And it has a substantial amount of content and some good loot! It is insane how big the world is.

Is that the one blocked off by a big poison cloud or something?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Even skimming this thread I often see people talking about things and think "I have no idea what that is."

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

What should I make Minthara since Durge is a Paladin?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

bird with big dick posted:

What should I make Minthara since Durge is a Paladin?

Open hand monk

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I'm sorry, Minthara is clearly meant to be a Bard, preferably in a very silly hat.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

She makes the most sense as a druid

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Shard posted:

the flaming fists are mercenaries that answer to the highest bidder. gently caress em. In the face of corruption, armed resistance is the only answer!

Yeah I'm confused about it. They're mercenaries... who only seem to have one client? They're the de facto police force and army? I get that they're technically working for pay, as opposed to being part of a feudal contract, but they don't seem like mercenaries.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Morrow posted:

Yeah I'm confused about it. They're mercenaries... who only seem to have one client? They're the de facto police force and army? I get that they're technically working for pay, as opposed to being part of a feudal contract, but they don't seem like mercenaries.

Essentially the Fists are a mercenary company who homesteaded in Baldur's Gate where their commission is to be paid thugs, so like real cops only more honest about it.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

Essentially the Fists are a mercenary company who homesteaded in Baldur's Gate where their commission is to be paid thugs, so like real cops only more honest about it.

walking around the fist is more than happy to oppress the population and they work for the upper city pretty much and don't give a poo poo about the downtrodden. The metal units are always flanked by human fist members. When you go to the metal soldier factory you can hear what the units are doing including murdering a child. And most of the fist are fine with this or don't actively try to stop it.

I've hated the fist since the first game and they would openly try to murder drow on the spot just for existing.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Lobok posted:

Is that the one blocked off by a big poison cloud or something?

It definitely had a shitload of traps and dead bodies leading up to it, I forget if it was specifically a poison cloud. You walk down on the riverside under the bridge and go way west. Pass through a cave to a cove where two factions are having a brawl and there’s a boat from moonrise towers surrounded by the shadow curse effect. From there there’s an even harder to find cave with the Bonespike boots and misc lore notes

grack posted:

I'm sorry, Minthara is clearly meant to be a Bard, preferably in a very silly hat.

:hmmyes: I got a floppy hat or frumpy hat or some poo poo like that on the opening beach and made my bard Tav wear it forever because the effect is so good. Thank you for enabling my bad Lemmy Kilmister cosplay

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 21, 2024

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Is there not a way to make the Shovel summon permanent? I had Gale learn the scroll, but if I use the summon even once the spell disappears permanently :confused:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Just got this, perfect timing too because I have COVID and can dedicate the proper amount of time to exploring this. 25 hours and I'm still in act 1, it's real hard to focus.

First time through as a Sorcerer. I keep getting focused down and dying, so I should probably switch to draconic for the extra survivability. Not fun getting into the loop of being downed, helped up, and immediately shot after.

Respecced Shadowheart into Light so she can actually be useful, some of those light damage spells have great utility like making targets easier to hit, setting them up for Lae'zel.

Lae'zel is a beast. Great Weapon Master and Haste and then attacking over and over until the game tells me I'm out of actions.

I don't like Astarion that much, but his lockpicking has proved essential. Making him my team's sniper is okay. I really don't like stealth in turn-based games, and have been considering switching him out for Gale or Karlach.

I had Gale early on, but fell victim to the necrotic aura bug where he wiped out my party during and after a tough fight. Since I was new, I ended up burning a few revivify scrolls and it was a whole mess. He wasn't killed, just downed, because I hadn't ever considered revivify scrolls before that. Is there a mod that disables his Necrotic Aura and nothing else?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Pump your DEX or use the Gloves of Dexterity and take the medium armor feat and get the Yuan-Ti scale and you can get your sorc's AC to 20 or higher.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 21, 2024

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Is there not a way to make the Shovel summon permanent? I had Gale learn the scroll, but if I use the summon even once the spell disappears permanently :confused:

Did you have Gale prepare the spell and ad the spell to your hotbar from Gale's spellbook? Once you learn it it should be there and that version is the permanent one, unless there is some new bug.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Nuclear Tourist posted:

It should be in your spellbook under the "common" tab. You don't have to memorize it anymore, just drag it down to your quickbar.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
same for sorcerers iirc, cast once and it's in your book, just gotta drag it out

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
If you say the right thing to shovel he'll also teach you to summon him even if you aren't a mage or sorcerer

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Shard posted:

walking around the fist is more than happy to oppress the population and they work for the upper city pretty much and don't give a poo poo about the downtrodden. The metal units are always flanked by human fist members. When you go to the metal soldier factory you can hear what the units are doing including murdering a child. And most of the fist are fine with this or don't actively try to stop it.

I've hated the fist since the first game and they would openly try to murder drow on the spot just for existing.

I ran a campaign where the party who had little experience of Baldur's Gate were (briefly) drafted into the Flaming Fist and were confused when the speech I had the commanding officer give about upholding the reputation of the Fist was full on "show no respect to anyone in the lower city, but beat the poo poo out of anyone who disrespects you". Since they seemed like goody two-shoes types, the commander assigned an experienced member of the Fist to "handle warrants and fines" (i.e. to kick in doors, demand bribes, and loot any crime scene for "evidence").

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

exactly. Honestly the Forgotten Realms is a poo poo hole and it really does not surprise me that a merchant city would have a police force to protect the money and gently caress everyone else.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Shard posted:

exactly. Honestly the Forgotten Realms is a poo poo hole and it really does not surprise me that a merchant city would have a police force to protect the money and gently caress everyone else.

With both Ravengard and his predecessor having been both Marshall of the Fist and Grand Duke of the city, one could argue that it's an open question if the merchant city has a police force to protect the money, or if the police city has a merchant force to make the money.

Though it's still "gently caress everyone else" either way, so potato potahto.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

It's always morally correct to gently caress off into the wilderness post-game, Baldurs Gate can always find another sucker to save it.
God I want to have a game set in Waterdeep so bad.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 21, 2024

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Shard posted:

That's what all police do

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Shard posted:

And that's why I stab every Fist I see except Devella and Art Cullough! Also XP

I'm romancing Lae'zel in my current run and god drat did she just kick my rear end in the duel. It wasn't even close.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've seen both versions of that scene and it's better when she wins, anyway. Also a very convenient thing to believe when she annihilates you with 5 attacks in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I have Lae'zel spec'ed as a Dragon Sorc. She hit me with Hold Person on round 1 and I didn't even get a single attack in.