Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
The slugger will one shot Shriekers if you can hit em.

Tom Tucker posted:

What pod does everyone use?

In my book the far left pod is the Pod of Honor for the Destroyer Captain. After that it's a bit more vague but the one next to it should go to a solid number 2, and also going to a right-side pod while the one next to the captain is open is rude.

Second from the left is the King's Pod, the peasants can divvy up the rest as they please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Ciaphas posted:

What's the Railgun's niche?
I think it's competitive with the autocannon and AMR for bots these days.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

It's still my preferred way of dealing with hulks and devastators while carrying a shield pack.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

If you overcharge it it's good at sniping devastators and hulks. If you have it in safe mode it makes a pretty line in the air. It's really sad how pathetic the safe mode railgun is now, it's basically useless.

If you were locked to a single weapon (but given 3x ammo to be fair) that you had to use for an entire mission, I think "Railgun but it's locked in safe mode" is one of the worst guns you could choose out of any possible option. The only possible contenders for the spot would be like, the dagger & scythe, the starting pistol, maybe the flamethrower against bots.

Sindai posted:

I think it's competitive with the autocannon and AMR for bots these days.
The autocannon was competitive with it before it got nerfed. No comments on the AMR, I think it sucks.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
the shrieker nests i've run into have all been on ridges or hills or plateaus making airstrikes and 500kg incomplete kills.

orbital laser or similar might be better than eagles for cleaning them up

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Shriekers are merely reason number #2812 to bring the gatling sentry to bug missions. It just works

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
oh yeah i had an autocannon sentry on a bot mission just sit there and waste all its ammo trying to destroy a bot factory.

how do they do vs shrieker nests?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Crashing after most of a good 30m level 8 game where it's all going to poo poo but in a fun way sucks. I also could have used those 5 supers. Oh well, game is still fun.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Tom Tucker posted:

What pod does everyone use?

all pods except for 3rd from left are cursed

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

inner left pod is for Kings, inner right is Queens, and the Jesters get the outer ones

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Friendship with EAT ended, best friends with Flamethrower now.

Flamethrower vs Chargers is just great but they're both wonderful, really. I was diving with a couple buddies with Scythe/Redeemer/Impact and Flamethrower/Toxic Gas/Airburst/Napalm Strike as maximum crowd control man. Worked well so long as my buddies didn't charge bug breaches that had already been marked for fiery toxic death!

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
arc thrower is great

the arc shotgun sucks vs bots tho

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Ravenfood posted:

Crashing after most of a good 30m level 8 game where it's all going to poo poo but in a fun way sucks. I also could have used those 5 supers. Oh well, game is still fun.

Just crashed (froze, really) with a minute left in extraction after a 35 minute clear the map job that would have cleared my daily and have been worth 25 medals in all.

Doesn't feel great.

EDIT: So on a hunch since I was so close to the end of the mission, I left it on the frozen screen for 5 minutes, which is enough time the friendlies would have extracted without me. When I logged in I actually got the samples, medals for the mission and completed the daily. I know this because I had just mathed out how many samples I need for pod steering and I had zero medals before the mission. So if you freeze near the end of a job it may be worth it to not end task or quit the game for a few minutes. I don't know if that also happens if I would have shut the game down.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 21, 2024

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
inject directly into your veins the drug that is managed democracy.

also the most democratic drop pod is far right because its closest to the democracy officer

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Why are you guys fighting shriekers, just setup on a hill and snipe their nests with EATs or whatever. If you spawn near their nest in clouds, run away, like fast, fastliest to where they arent dive bombing you taking away your reinforcements.

It takes 10 autocannon hits to down a spire apparently

BlackIronHeart posted:

Friendship with EAT ended, best friends with Flamethrower now.

Flamethrower vs Chargers is just great but they're both wonderful, really. I was diving with a couple buddies with Scythe/Redeemer/Impact and Flamethrower/Toxic Gas/Airburst/Napalm Strike as maximum crowd control man. Worked well so long as my buddies didn't charge bug breaches that had already been marked for fiery toxic death!

While the flamethrower is now pretty good, you cant do poo poo to titans which can be a problem in some situations. At least keep the resupply at the ready in case a bile titan is near imo.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Spookydonut posted:

also the most democratic drop pod is far right because its closest to the democracy officer

:hai:

The only way it would be more democratic would be if there was an extra pod that matches his position on the map table.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

BitBasher posted:

Just crashed (froze, really) with a minute left in extraction after a 35 minute clear the map job that would have cleared my daily and have been worth 25 medals in all.

Doesn't feel great.

EDIT: So on a hunch since I was so close to the end of the mission, I left it on the frozen screen for 5 minutes, which is enough time the friendlies would have extracted without me. When I logged in I actually got the samples, medals for the mission and completed the daily. I know this because I had just mathed out how many samples I need for pod steering and I had zero medals before the mission. So if you freeze near the end of a job it may be worth it to not end task or quit the game for a few minutes. I don't know if that also happens if I would have shut the game down.

gently caress, one thing I really miss about DRG is the kick protection at a certain point. Just got through a crazy as hell series of missions and got kicked maybe 10 seconds from the end because, presumably, I airstriked the host in the chaos instead of the guy with the samples. Would have been a nice operation payout too.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

You guys must have good luck (bad luck?) with your enemy selections. I played about 6 games on Hard tonight (and a couple mediums), and I only saw Shriekers show up once. Unfortunately my crew of pubbies was the kind that wanted to stay and fight every single breach, and so by the time we got to the north of the map, where the Shrieker nest and the extraction were, we were out of reinforcements and two of them promptly ate poo poo, so I had to just run to the extraction rather than get to fight them.

I also didn't see a single map with Bile Spewers on it for the daily mission until my very last one. I was ready to give it up.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Just crashed out of a flying bugs mission, after being killed on impact by flying bugs multiple times. 10/10 would serve again. Also, bugs don't fly.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Phenotype posted:

You guys must have good luck (bad luck?) with your enemy selections. I played about 6 games on Hard tonight (and a couple mediums), and I only saw Shriekers show up once. Unfortunately my crew of pubbies was the kind that wanted to stay and fight every single breach, and so by the time we got to the north of the map, where the Shrieker nest and the extraction were, we were out of reinforcements and two of them promptly ate poo poo, so I had to just run to the extraction rather than get to fight them.

I also didn't see a single map with Bile Spewers on it for the daily mission until my very last one. I was ready to give it up.

Shriekers seem to spawn more frequently on higher (7+) difficulties for now, I'm sure they'll move more into the rotation once they're officially acknowledged by high command.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Risky Bisquick posted:

Why are you guys fighting shriekers, just setup on a hill and snipe their nests with EATs or whatever. If you spawn near their nest in clouds, run away, like fast, fastliest to where they arent dive bombing you taking away your reinforcements.

It takes 10 autocannon hits to down a spire apparently

While the flamethrower is now pretty good, you cant do poo poo to titans which can be a problem in some situations. At least keep the resupply at the ready in case a bile titan is near imo.

Just play with me, I may have over hyperspecialized a bit, my kit is 100% designed to take out titans and chargers. I’ve noticed if you have just one person who makes it his life’s mission to kill any and every titan he sees everything else goes swimmingly.

Stun grenades + eagle 500 + air strike + eat and the last slot can be whatever and you can merk any titan you see.

If you want to help with trash toss on the laser dog, if you want to max survivability toss on the shield and if you want to maximize utility toss the emp mortar on your last slot.

The 500’s are easy to place on a stunned titan, and I’ve found if you liberally spread eats around a goon team will be more than happy to chuck a couple on any titan that pops up.

The orbital railgun is too much of a one trick pony or id include it in my kit too.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Phenotype posted:

diff 5 is where bile spewers hang out.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

That planet with canyons and plateaus plays completely different than most bug missions, it's interesting. The canyons funnel all patrols directly into you, so you're forced to actually fight nearly all of them instead of just bypassing or running away. Needing sustained wave--clearing damage has made the new laser rifle that much more useful.

It's some grade-A bullshit when an equipment call-in gets stuck on top of one of the plateaus though.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Haha yeah on that planet immediately after I threw my first grenade launcher down near a plateau I was like oh I'll bet they can get stuck up there. It narrowly missed but something to watch out for.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Arc thrower is a beast. It's sort of balanced by the fact that your teammates will not be wearing the new arc resistant armor even if you beg them to (because they'd be giving up any utility to not get killed by your dumb rear end), but after you kill them enough times you learn when and when not to fire that thing safely.

Also I saw someone crap on the AMR. I wish it took out fabricators but I love using it to snipe hulks. my favorite thing to do is chain stun a group of devastators and plink their heads. they'll be lined up nicely if they've just fallen out of a drop ship. Fun! But less fun against bugs.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Apparently this patch leaked an upcoming new primary and its what a lot of ppl were asking for 5 round, bolt action explosive rifle that can kill bug holes and fabs, 60 rounds total (12 mags) and medium pen.
Assuming this will be part of the warbond that has the explosive single shot pistol. Honestly I cant wait for this poo poo and the new heavy weapon stratagems.
Having more variety and moving different functions to unusual weapon slots will add a lot more fun to the game.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Haha yeah on that planet immediately after I threw my first grenade launcher down near a plateau I was like oh I'll bet they can get stuck up there. It narrowly missed but something to watch out for.

it is funny as gently caress to see a relatively small rock block most of an eagle - or the very edge of a resupply drop clipping a rock and staying suspended in air - or calling down a railcannon strike against a bile titan and slowly realizing the canyon wall ate it as she crushes you with her fabulous heels.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Jerkface posted:

Apparently this patch leaked an upcoming new primary and its what a lot of ppl were asking for 5 round, bolt action explosive rifle that can kill bug holes and fabs, 60 rounds total (12 mags) and medium pen.
Assuming this will be part of the warbond that has the explosive single shot pistol. Honestly I cant wait for this poo poo and the new heavy weapon stratagems.
Having more variety and moving different functions to unusual weapon slots will add a lot more fun to the game.

gun sounds awesome.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Astrochicken posted:

Arc thrower is a beast. It's sort of balanced by the fact that your teammates will not be wearing the new arc resistant armor even if you beg them to (because they'd be giving up any utility to not get killed by your dumb rear end), but after you kill them enough times you learn when and when not to fire that thing safely.

I may kill some squaddies with the Arc, but compared to the number of bugs I kill that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make!

Some people are learning. On the mission earlier it was only me and one other guy on level 7 from the get go, two players dropped right at the start and the replacement beacon thing did poo poo and no one ever came to fill in. The one guy I paired with was running EATs same as me, and he was rocking a Sickle I believe and always stayed just behind me to a side and we just murdered everything we came across. He did a super good job of running to the side of me or behind me any time things got turned around.Every time we stopped we both called EATs and he used them while I kept all the bugs at medium range. It was great.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Dropped my eats on forni prime to kill a shrieker tower and it landed on top of the cliff -______________-

One lowkey awesome thing about EATs is being able to pick up wahtever junk you find laying around the level, feel like those can often go to waste but now I find a stalwart and Im like Yup, or an arc/amr/MG/whatever. Found a laser cannon under a hellbomb today and brought it around for a bit!

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Rhymenoserous posted:

The orbital railgun is too much of a one trick pony or id include it in my kit too.

If it 100% killed whatever it hit it would probably be worth using as a team utility pick but it feels real bad when you toss one, it locks onto a charger or titan, then hits a glancing blow.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Yeah AMR is pretty drat good against bots with shield pack. Not as killy as AC but you can still deal with hulks and devastators pretty well.

Since everybody is high on EATs I brought them against bugs on 9 and they were great when there's no bile spewers around but it kinda sucked when spewers were everywhere. I found myself missing my grenade launcher for wiping out packs of spewers. Increased call down time also made it sorta iffy against Biles and Chargers, you have to be pretty far from the action to be able to comfortably call one down. I did tag a few chargers with the call down itself which was sweet, but it often made them impossible to retrieve after since the corpse is usually surrounded by the horde.

Also felt iffy against titans compared to the 500kg since it takes two shots to the mouth and running back for the second shot could be fairly dangerous.

All in all, didn't feel great, but part of it might just be getting more practice with the weapon.

My loadout was laser drone, eats, eagle airstrike, and 500kg.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

2/4 missions this evening crashed and/or had mass disconnects plus a ctd within twenty seconds of launching the game just sitting on the ship

i could not do my part tonight :negative:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jerkface posted:

Yeah, the whole next Warbond got leaked on reddit, art and all. It'll also include a grenade pistol, explosive crossbow, and an armor piercing DMR.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

WarpedLichen posted:

Since everybody is high on EATs I brought them against bugs on 9 and they were great when there's no bile spewers around but it kinda sucked when spewers were everywhere. I found myself missing my grenade launcher for wiping out packs of spewers.

ive been taking gl and eats and its been working great

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Yeah, after only 1 or 2 crashes since launch tonight has been nothing but. Haven't been able to complete any missions all day due to disconnects and CTD :(

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Mordja posted:

Yeah, the whole next Warbond got leaked on reddit, art and all. It'll also include a grenade pistol, explosive crossbow, and an armor piercing DMR.

Armor piercing DMR sounds awesome but they already have two DMRs that kind of suck. So either the new DMR sucks too or it just ends up being an exclusively better option? It still feels like a lot of primaries are in a bad place, and new better weapons sound exciting, but I’d like a reason to use something besides the sickle/punisher/slugger. And ideally that reason isn’t because they made those three weapons bad.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

WarpedLichen posted:

Since everybody is high on EATs I brought them against bugs on 9 and they were great when there's no bile spewers around but it kinda sucked when spewers were everywhere. I found myself missing my grenade launcher for wiping out packs of spewers. Increased call down time also made it sorta iffy against Biles and Chargers, you have to be pretty far from the action to be able to comfortably call one down. I did tag a few chargers with the call down itself which was sweet, but it often made them impossible to retrieve after since the corpse is usually surrounded by the horde.

I wish you could get scouting info for enemy composition. With increased deployment time EATs ends up being worse as a panic button but you can still just call them in on cooldown and not worry. For those matches/matches with bile spewers though I think autocannon/GL is way better because you call it in once and you can hopefully keep it for the rest of the game.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Finally convinced my friends to do their patriotic duty to Super Earth and play 7s. The rush of killing four bile titans in a single encounter convinced them that it’s much better than 6s.

How some of them have almost 200 hours in without getting super samples until tonight though is beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Kazinsal posted:

Finally convinced my friends to do their patriotic duty to Super Earth and play 7s. The rush of killing four bile titans in a single encounter convinced them that it’s much better than 6s.

How some of them have almost 200 hours in without getting super samples until tonight though is beyond me.

Can't live without me extra eagle airstike, can't imagine people are just running around with *1* 500kg bomb... only 2 airstrikes...only 4 cluster bombs...

SEAF mindset