Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Propaganda Hour posted:

Too many teeth

i may have told this story before but a friend of mine was on a student exchange program to the middle east in the middle of the summer in a lovely apartment, trying to play dwarf fortress on an old laptop in the blazing heat, and he ran into some alligator monster that one of his dwarves hit so hard that it knocked out like 9000 teeth and immediately fried his CPU on the spot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

CharlestonJew posted:

Kiss:
Fournival
Jester

Kill:
Everyone else

Phlegmish posted:

Marry the guy who says 'Masterworks all, can't go wrong', I think it was Caxton or something

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Propaganda Hour posted:

Too many teeth

capcom delete the teeth

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

jokes posted:

computer, delete the wife

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Propaganda Hour posted:

Too many teeth

Didn't Cities: Skylines 2 already have that issue?

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

MH Knights posted:

Didn't Cities: Skylines 2 already have that issue?

that's the joke, yes

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Owl Inspector posted:

yeah, when I saw how returnal, demon's souls remake and ghost of tshusmina looked while running at a smooth 60 all the time, I thought we were in the clear for major release performance on ps5. this is wild.

It's not just visuals though. There's a lot more going on under the hood in this game. Those games you mentioned have pretty static open worlds with not much interactivity going on. This game is more like the Zelda games with all the physics poo poo.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
character creator is great except is needs about... 100 more hairstyles

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
You can unlock more hair colors in game (like the first game) and potentially more haircuts as well.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Mad Wack posted:

character creator is great except is needs about... 100 more hairstyles

I fiddled with the settings for ages and couldn't manage to make a female character look... anything less than slightly off.

The male character was much easier.

I was wondering, are the face presets your choose just that, or do they add some factors that can't be changed with the sliders?

And yeah, needs more hairstyles, beard styles, and tattoos.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wiltsghost posted:

It's not just visuals though. There's a lot more going on under the hood in this game. Those games you mentioned have pretty static open worlds with not much interactivity going on. This game is more like the Zelda games with all the physics poo poo.

allowing players to disable the dumbass ray tracing would be a nice option at least

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Do they still use the word ought all the time? its very important to the overall feel of the game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Wiltsghost posted:

I seriously doubt the NPC simulation is 4x as complex as dwarf fortress and requires dropping PS5 hardware to low 20 fps without most of that performance being explainable by bad optimization, sorry

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Caesar Saladin posted:

Do they still use the word ought all the time? its very important to the overall feel of the game.

Definitely seen aught floating around in previews.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Play posted:

I fiddled with the settings for ages and couldn't manage to make a female character look... anything less than slightly off.

The male character was much easier.

I was wondering, are the face presets your choose just that, or do they add some factors that can't be changed with the sliders?

And yeah, needs more hairstyles, beard styles, and tattoos.

The face presets are just presets but! The most important part when making a face is choosing the right base face and skin, because *that* changes a bunch of things that can't be changed with sliders

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Yeah base heads are kinda nutty, there’s an insane number of them and they’re all so different, it owns

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Owl Inspector posted:

I seriously doubt the NPC simulation is 4x as complex as dwarf fortress and requires dropping PS5 hardware to low 20 fps without most of that performance being explainable by bad optimization, sorry

It's probably suspect optimization, but it assuredly more complex than Dwarf fortress. Even if Dwarf Fortress does a more detailed "life" simulator.

Path-finding, and making decisions, and calculating interactions in a 3d space takes a bunch of power, and also not having to do that while also doing the things the CPU needs to assist the GPU with rendering, while Dwarf Fortress is just like a sprite based/ASCII based game.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Oxxidation posted:

allowing players to disable the dumbass ray tracing would be a nice option at least
If it's bottlenecked to 30ish because of things other than GPU usage, then disabling graphical features for no gain would be pointless.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Vermain posted:

considering that the issue appears to be primarily CPU related, my guess would be that it's solely due to them cramming a ton of dynamism into the world with NPCs/physics/etc. that eats up a tremendous amount of cycles. might just be something the RE engine is bad at handling, but that's a question well outside my pay grade

acksplode posted:

It's a CPU bound game, it's not running poorly because of unoptimized visuals. It's that the simulation is very detailed and/or badly optimized

https://www.ign.com/articles/capcom-is-aware-of-dragons-dogma-2-frame-rate-issues-on-pc-looking-into-fixes

but what does it add to the game exactly? smarter AI and better destruction physics?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Kefa posted:

but what does it add to the game exactly? smarter AI and better destruction physics?

idk exactly what it means but it sounds pretty cool and that's probably the point

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

NeurosisHead posted:

idk exactly what it means but it sounds pretty cool and that's probably the point

hehe just buy better hardware hehe

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Kefa posted:

Based on what we know so far, the assorted monster assaults and emergent behavior are contributing to it. Seems like the dev team wanted to make the game world feel a bit unpredictable

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Just kill everything. New game design philosophy unlock: the more monsters and NPCs you kill, the more you're rewarded with framerate and gameplay improvements. It's only when you finally beat the final boss that you unlock a consistent 60FPS, to lord it over the empty land.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Kefa posted:

I'm guessing lots of NPCs and enemies with dynamic and reactive behavior, and quests and the general world continuing to proceed in the background while you play. Games that want to deliver "emergent" gameplay can't get away with scripting things, so they have to run simulations that can interact with each other and the player, which isn't cheap. DD2 sounds especially ambitious here, at least for a AAA action RPG.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

isk posted:

Based on what we know so far, the assorted monster assaults and emergent behavior are contributing to it. Seems like the dev team wanted to make the game world feel a bit unpredictable

that sounds cool actually, I guess we'll see

Nuebot posted:

Just kill everything. New game design philosophy unlock: the more monsters and NPCs you kill, the more you're rewarded with framerate and gameplay improvements. It's only when you finally beat the final boss that you unlock a consistent 60FPS, to lord it over the empty land.

the little trick capcom doesn't want you to know..

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

acksplode posted:

I'm guessing lots of NPCs and enemies with dynamic and reactive behavior, and quests and the general world continuing to proceed in the background while you play. Games that want to deliver "emergent" gameplay can't get away with scripting things, so they have to run simulations that can interact with each other and the player, which isn't cheap. DD2 sounds especially ambitious here, at least for a AAA action RPG.

well if they can deliver at least half of that I'd be okay with the lovely performance
just feels like they still could've gone lower on the visuals to compensate at least a little bit
I'd be okayish with a 30 fps lock on console.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Kefa posted:

well if they can deliver at least half of that I'd be okay with the lovely performance
just feels like they still could've gone lower on the visuals to compensate at least a little bit
CPU and GPU generally (ideally) run in parallel, so if the CPU load is making the game run at 30fps, then you might as well make the GPU do enough work for 30fps as well because it's "free". You can't really compensate for one with the other.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It wouldn't matter if they made it ASCII, Dwarf Fortress can beat your computer unconscious while running on your neighbors laptop. We can already see the testing in real time. Turn your settings all the way down....you get maybe 3 or 4 FPS more if you are lucky. It's not the graphics. Lots of processes running is expensive in CPU space. You can optimize it, sure, and I bet they can get another bump of FPS out of it if they really scrounge, but doing a lot of poo poo is doing a lot of poo poo and that will overload a CPU eventually.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Volte posted:

CPU and GPU generally (ideally) run in parallel, so if the CPU load is making the game run at 30fps, then you might as well make the GPU do enough work for 30fps as well because it's "free". You can't really compensate for one with the other.

Wouldn't lowering the resolution and a few visual effect still give you a few extra frames? Would be enough for a 30 fps lock.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Kefa posted:

Wouldn't lowering the resolution and a few visual effect still give you a few extra frames? Would be enough for a 30 fps lock.

Not if it doesn't decrease the CPU's workload, which usually isn't sensitive to resolution or visual effects. Dialing those down won't make NPC behavior easier to calculate. Coarse analogy, imagine an assembly line where the CPU is calculating scenes and passing them to the GPU to draw as frames. Making the GPU's job easier won't increase the assembly line's frame throughput if the CPU is already working as hard as it can.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Play posted:

if you're just looking for, like, "generic KMMO babe", pick the rightmost option in the second row on page 1 of the base head selection, then the option directly above that, then any of the top row options after that. skin #3's a good generic option with a solid lip shape, and you can go to town customizing the head shape after

this is what i ended up on after a couple hours of messing around but you can get a lot of different looks out of the same base if you tweak the sliders around

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Kefa posted:

It gives you a few frames like literally maybe 2-4 as it lightens the load on the CPU some tiny amount, but it's not gonna be noticable.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Dexo posted:

It gives you a few frames like literally maybe 2-4 as it lightens the load on the CPU some tiny amount, but it's not gonna be noticable.

acksplode posted:

Not if it doesn't decrease the CPU's workload, which usually isn't sensitive to resolution or visual effects. Dialing those down won't make NPC behavior easier to calculate. Coarse analogy, imagine an assembly line where the CPU is calculating scenes and passing them to the GPU to draw as frames. Making the GPU's job easier won't increase the assembly line's frame throughput if the CPU is already working as hard as it can.

I see, thanks for explaining. I probably shouldn't assume I know better than actual video game developers.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

e:

Wiltsghost fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 21, 2024

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kefa posted:

People are already really upset that this game gets an inconsistent 30fps looking as it does. If it looked any "worse" it'd basically be video game hitler. You'd be seeing people saying poo poo like "this is literally a PS2 game!" all over the place.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i'm guessing this is going for hate clicks

https://x.com/TheAVClub/status/1770469669201473938

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Calling Dragon’s Dogma a Souls-like is a wild take. It’s not like I haven’t heard it before, but it always makes me feel like the person is either trolling (more likely) or hasn’t played either game.

That one is absolutely courting hate clicks.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
There was a lot of that when the first one came out too which I always found weird because the I felt like the more obvious point of comparison would have been Skyrim. I think it was just the thing where people were comparing everything to Dark Souls back then.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 21, 2024

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Rinkles posted:

i'm guessing this is going for hate clicks

worse, the writer of the article is just stupid and defending himself in the comments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the correct definition of "soulslike" is "you have an estus flask and dodge roll" and anything else is just post hoc nonsense