Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Jerkface posted:

For those matches/matches with bile spewers though I think autocannon/GL is way better because you call it in once and you can hopefully keep it for the rest of the game.

i've started to consider support weapons/backpacks (other than EATs) a sometimes food because all the worst fail spirals i've encountered in this game come from trying to get my poo poo back after dying rather than loving off to somewhere else

bringing more red and green strats and having zero consideration for any corpse that doesn't have super samples on it has led to better outcomes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i think a big thing with a lot of the bad primaries is they feel like they need to make a bunch of them handle like a boat. why the gently caress does the spray and pray have noticeable aim lag? the entire drat point of the thing is swatting tiny bugs out of the air as they leap on you from thirty meters away!

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So I heard a theory that the Arc Thrower can do massive damage to a Bile Titan if you're level with their mouth and I think there's something to it. I managed to pop one's head with it when he wasn't bleeding out or otherwise looking on the verge of death:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HBLzTscsCk

He did get grazed by my 500kg bomb, but it landed well to his rear (as seen by his buddy that was behind him getting annihilated by it) and with the extreme damage fall off I don't think he was all that hurt from it. Not sure how often that can be replicated but it felt really satisfying. Maybe if the Jump Pack wasn't poo poo you could pop up and zap their faces, would be a fun tactic.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

atelier morgan posted:

i've started to consider support weapons/backpacks (other than EATs) a sometimes food because all the worst fail spirals i've encountered in this game come from trying to get my poo poo back after dying rather than loving off to somewhere else

bringing more red and green strats and having zero consideration for any corpse that doesn't have super samples on it has led to better outcomes

:colbert: just don't die :colbert:

Sometimes you do just gotta give it up, thats honestly one reason I love eats so much. Sometimes I call it down and a bug hole opens up underneath my eats and Im just like ah well, consider it a donation to the gods!

Hakarne posted:

So I heard a theory that the Arc Thrower can do massive damage to a Bile Titan if you're level with their mouth and I think there's something to it. I managed to pop one's head with it when he wasn't bleeding out or otherwise looking on the verge of death:

My theory on this is that your arc can chain to different parts of the titan depending on the alignment due to hitbox fuckery. So you're doing like triple/quadruple damage per shot AND hitting spots with low HP.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Mordja posted:

Yeah, the whole next Warbond got leaked on reddit, art and all. It'll also include a grenade pistol, explosive crossbow, and an armor piercing DMR.

I am totally willing to do drat near anything to get that Single shot pistol grenade launcher that can kill bug holes with 8 spare ammo, even if it has a slow reload time!

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Oneiros posted:

i think a big thing with a lot of the bad primaries is they feel like they need to make a bunch of them handle like a boat. why the gently caress does the spray and pray have noticeable aim lag? the entire drat point of the thing is swatting tiny bugs out of the air as they leap on you from thirty meters away!

Yeah. I also don't get why the Countersniper handles worse than the regular Diligence, which is already kind of niche? I don't even use these rifles but I don't feel the bit of extra damage the CS does justifies all the ways it's worse than the stock variant.

Breaker Incendiary is fun but the fact that the dot portion of the burn only really does relevant damage to the smallest bugs and yourself and the fact that its up-front damage is so dogshit means you're constantly wasting ammo making sure Hunters don't hurl themselves at you while on fire. So it's increased mag size is just a compensation instead of a bonus.

The Liberator Concussive has an terribly slow rate of fire as punishment for its ability to stagger enemies. Well, the best crowd control effect is still death, so just pick a gun that kills faster.

Liberator Penetrator also has like 3 downsides to pay for its penetration, but its damage per bullet is poo poo, like the worst of any automatic, which means it's a downgrade against small bugs a regular Liberator already gets red hit marks on, and shooting through medium armor makes you do half damage and is a trap option because your base damage is garbage. If you ever used the MG-43 you'll especially resent the difference in effectiveness when brute forcing medium armor. It's best performance is when shooting targets a regular Liberator could kill, but only slowly because white hit marks are not bounces but do crap damage. (Brood Commanders, etc). The Liberator Penetrator has three levels of zoom but I don't think Arrowhead is very good at making scopes either, but I guess technically this means the gun is for sniping weakspots?

The other weapons with medium penetration at least do enough damage to justify brute forcing a medium armor enemy if you can't shoot its weak spot.

The JAR-3 Dominator is also incredibly cumbersome but at least it feels distinct and does enough damage when you're not cursing the tiny magazines.

I was going to say the Scythe is bad because Arrowhead massively overvalues the heat/no magazine gimmick, but the Sickle exists now so I got nothing.

I feel like Arrowhead isn't that good at balancing Primaries, considering how many weapons with weirdly specific use cases or huge downsides for small gains there are.

As you mentioned, the slow turn speed on the Spray and Pray is really egregious. It feels like poo poo having to watch your weapon slowly swing after your crosshair while trying to track a sidestepping hunter, a prime shotgun target otherwise!

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 21, 2024

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Oneiros posted:

it's fun

more guns should have slower turning speeds

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

turn off the TV posted:

it's fun

more guns should have slower turning speeds

are you a cop hunter? you have to tell us if you are

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I also like the slow turn speed stuff, its the one way the shooting in this game feels distinct from every other 1st/3rd person shooter out there. I'm also the kind of sicko who thinks 'maybe the players in an FPS game shouldn't be able to aim perfectly while tap dancing or snipe while leaping through the air, so perhaps holding steady and taking cover can help you aim'

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Having aim lag is fine, but then the rest of the package can't be middling at best and also your best guns can't all have no aim lag

Edit: also humans can aim pretty fast, go to a shooting range or watch some professionals do 3 gun runs and thats real humans, not the incredibly peak performance HELLDIVERS

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Jerkface posted:

Having aim lag is fine, but then the rest of the package can't be middling at best and also your best guns can't all have no aim lag

Of course, I have no defense for the counter sniper's continued existence, I just meant I can definitely enjoy a weirdly cumbersome gun if it has some kind of benefit (its me, I'm the jar dominator enjoyer)

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Captainicus posted:

I also like the slow turn speed stuff, its the one way the shooting in this game feels distinct from every other 1st/3rd person shooter out there. I'm also the kind of sicko who thinks 'maybe the players in an FPS game shouldn't be able to aim perfectly while tap dancing or snipe while leaping through the air, so perhaps holding steady and taking cover can help you aim'

I'm fine with slow aiming on guns where I feel like their effect justifies it. The JAR-3 Dominator is divisive but it's also a huge gun that deals shitloads of damage with every shot. Both support machine guns have slow tracking but also do a lot of work. But the slow turn speed on the Countersniper and Breaker Spray and Pray are just baffling. Is it there for flavor or for balance? What is the meaning behind these guns??

Captainicus posted:

Of course, I have no defense for the counter sniper's continued existence, I just meant I can definitely enjoy a weirdly cumbersome gun if it has some kind of benefit (its me, I'm the jar dominator enjoyer)

:respek:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

ye, i have no problem with aim lag as a concept especially with big chonky stuff like most support weapons or even some primaries like the jar-5 or the scorcher. but i feel like it shouldn't be as prevalent as it is on a lot of the primaries.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jerkface posted:

Edit: also humans can aim pretty fast, go to a shooting range or watch some professionals do 3 gun runs and thats real humans, not the incredibly peak performance HELLDIVERS

i don't care about it being realistic or whatever, i just like having to take turning speed into consideration when deciding what to shoot and where to stand. it makes dealing with groups of enemies more interesting.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

WarpedLichen posted:

My loadout was laser drone, eats, eagle airstrike, and 500kg.

I'd bring the eats and grenade launcher you mentioned then maybe drop 500kg for something else like cluster bombs. I do take the eats once and awhile with a grenade launcher against bugs instead of an ammo backpack since the eats means you won't be spamming grenades on chargers. Depends on what other people are taking.

Part of what makes the eats good is it's fire then dispose of it, you can run a grenade launcher or machine gun in addition to it. It can be fiddly to pick all this stuff up but it can work.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 21, 2024

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

turn off the TV posted:

i don't care about it being realistic or whatever, i just like having to take turning speed into consideration when deciding what to shoot and where to stand. it makes dealing with groups of enemies more interesting.

Yea for sure, realism doesn't need to trump gameplay balance concerns. I just hope the current primary roster gets another balance pass and we don't end up where its really just DLC primaries becoming the high tier stuff and all the initial drops end up at F tier over time.

I want to love the diligence and diligence CS but they suck too much rear end.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Jerkface posted:

Yea for sure, realism doesn't need to trump gameplay balance concerns. I just hope the current primary roster gets another balance pass and we don't end up where its really just DLC primaries becoming the high tier stuff and all the initial drops end up at F tier over time.

I want to love the diligence and diligence CS but they suck too much rear end.

the liberator, defender, breaker, punisher and slugger are all great and in the starter warbond

if anything the premium warbond weapons have been pretty underwhelming until the sickle came out (and the sickle being defeated by leaves and bushes is *very real*)

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

atelier morgan posted:

the liberator, defender, breaker, punisher and slugger are all great and in the starter warbond

if anything the premium warbond weapons have been pretty underwhelming until the sickle came out (and the sickle being defeated by leaves and bushes is *very real*)

Haha the leaves thing has been crazy, Forni Prime is just full of bushes that eat entire sickle mags. I guess because I got the premium edition I ended up throwing the incendiary in to the mix in my mind as well. But I think anything from the regular warbond is fairgame to be annoyed about balance. The spray and pray, lib pen, scythe, diligence, and diligence CS could all use some love. The liberator is KIND of getting shown up by the Sickle a bit, though I think "fires instantly" is great. Scorcher is good but I think could use some more ammo.

The DLC I feel like should all be strong but strong in niche, and yea some of it is very underwhelming. I wonder if the laser rifles couldn't benefit from a "brittle" status effect that lowers the armor rating wherever you're hitting for like X seconds.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I like the humble punisher against bugs, liberator or slugger against bots. The punisher feels perfect against hordes of little bugs and staggers stalkers, I can see using the slugger too though if you're using something like the flamethrower against spewers. The defender isn't bad but I prefer the power of the slugger or better accuracy of the liberator for drilling berserkers in the face.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm starting to love the Sickle for bug missions. Hipfire sprays just tear through all the little bugs and leave good openings for hitting the big ones.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

atelier morgan posted:

My buddy has started deploying as Mr Calldowns with EAT, mech, supply pack and the lightning gun. He's a godsend tbh there's always a gun when you want one and for an idiot that can't resist the lure of the orbitals it's nice to find a rocket launcher every time you desperately need one.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think the issue with DMRs is that they need to buff the AMR to make room for accurate medium pen weapons to be good without obsoleting it. At the bare minimum more ammo and a third person reticle.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I played with the new laser ar for a bit and it was fun, then I got killed by a brood lord that didn't give a gently caress about it and switched back to the JAR-5 Goatinator

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

Sindai posted:

I think the issue with DMRs is that they need to buff the AMR to make room for accurate medium pen weapons to be good without obsoleting it. At the bare minimum more ammo and a third person reticle.

I agree it needs to be slightly below the railgun, which should actually maybe be buffed a bit again. I like sniper rifles in a lot of games but this game is way too hectic for either as they are.

JBP posted:

I played with the new laser ar for a bit and it was fun, then I got killed by a brood lord that didn't give a gently caress about it and switched back to the JAR-5 Goatinator

I picked one up and I can't stand the spin up. Primaries should be shoot and move, leave sustained fire to your call in.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The sickle is a lot of fun for everything, it's a really great primary. I'm working on unlocking the two electric shotguns in the electric pack, is it the last one that fires electric shotgun blasts?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The spin up is fine imo, you can mow down shitloads of enemies with it and it feels good to use, but I need a primary that fucks while being awkward.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
I just see too many people wasting ammo and time with their primaries on stuff like spewers or chargers as they're getting swarmed by smaller things. Use explosives on those pubbies!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

JBP posted:

My buddy has started deploying as Mr Calldowns with EAT, mech, supply pack and the lightning gun. He's a godsend tbh there's always a gun when you want one and for an idiot that can't resist the lure of the orbitals it's nice to find a rocket launcher every time you desperately need one.

Yep, two of my buddies always bring spare shield backpacks. True homies in the line of duty for the spread of managed democracy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

I just see too many people wasting ammo on stuff like spewers or chargers as they're getting swarmed by smaller things. Use explosives on those pubbies!

My primary loadout is JAR-5, Uzi and impacts. Total battlefield control. Pubbies love to annihilate the small ones with their auto shotguns so I just kill the things with teeth.

The other thing that made me go back was the stalkers. gently caress mag dumping those for no return lol.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Just had a shuttle not appear but tell us to board, anyhow. With seven seconds to go on the clock it auto-redeployed while we stood around dumbly, narrowly getting on board. Never seen that one before!

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

JBP posted:

My primary loadout is JAR-5, Uzi and impacts. Total battlefield control. Pubbies love to annihilate the small ones with their auto shotguns so I just kill the things with teeth.

The other thing that made me go back was the stalkers. gently caress mag dumping those for no return lol.

I have the exact opposite experience, everyone brings stuff to take down chargers and titans then gets swarmed by spewers brood commanders and hunters. Like I said a few posts ago it pays to pay attention to what your teammates are brining I guess.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Jerkface posted:

The DLC I feel like should all be strong but strong in niche, and yea some of it is very underwhelming. I wonder if the laser rifles couldn't benefit from a "brittle" status effect that lowers the armor rating wherever you're hitting for like X seconds.

It’s more than some of it, most of the non-cosmetic/emote DLC stuff is underwhelming or disappointing in some way. Only two of the eight weapon unlocks are good, with the rest being outperformed by base warbond gear. The booster in Steeled Veterans is never going to get used. Finally Steeled Veterans doesn’t include a light armor variant and Cutting Edge doesn’t include a heavy armor variant.

It’s good SC can be earned in game to unlock the premium war bonds, cause I would not want to spend money for that.

Well, technically I did for Steeled Veterans since I shelled out for Super Citizen, but I wanted my ship to have a working DDR machine and the shiny title.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

I have the exact opposite experience, everyone brings stuff to take down chargers and titans then gets swarmed by spewers brood commanders and hunters. Like I said a few posts ago it pays to pay attention to what your teammates are brining I guess.

Yeah I mean the Uzi is for the little ones. The JAR takes out mediums in short order so I've got my personal defence covered.

Then I have orbital laser, 380, 120 and airburst in my kit. Everything dies :black101: or ahhh does not.

Against bots I vary it to 110s and eagle instead of the laser and airburst usually. As you say it does depend on team comp.

JBP fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Mar 21, 2024

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Oh so you're the one we have to stand around waiting for that 380 to finish up for, huh?

For real though it's cool you run with all call ins, I don't think I could manage it.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Chronojam posted:

Just had a shuttle not appear but tell us to board, anyhow. With seven seconds to go on the clock it auto-redeployed while we stood around dumbly, narrowly getting on board. Never seen that one before!

Similar thing happened to me. I think the extraction terminal got wasted by something? Regardless there was nothing for us to do, so we just kinda hung out around the pad and shot up any bugs that came close.

Pelican came down automatically after the mission timer expired, we all got on and left. Got an achievement for getting out at the last second?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
laser pistol is so bad

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Sindai posted:

the AMR already sucks and they need to buff it, period. Like if you want a clunky medium pen weapon, take the Dominator. Your support weapon slot needs to do something that a primary weapon can't do. If you want to deal with heavily armoured targets, you take the recoilless rifle or EATs. If you want to clear out hordes of enemies with medium armour or lower, you take the machine gun. If you're a grenadelord you take the grenade launcher and kill everything with it.

thus far the only thing i've found that the AMR can do that the machinegun can't do is go through the front plate of one of those AT-ST walkers but it takes like a whole magazine to do it, and that's just not all that useful when you can just run past them and shoot them in the back, snipe the driver's head with any primary, or use one grenade. Otherwise, the AMR doesn't have enough armour pen to deal with hulks or chargers, and the machinegun can shred devastators and armoured bugs about a hundred times more effectively. The AMR isn't even as good at dealing with medium armoured enemies as the dominator, which is a primary.

Giving it more ammo and a third person reticle just removes the identity of it, though. It's an AMR: it's supposed to be a big chunky thing. If the AMR is gonna be useful, it needs more armour pen an damage. It should be able to damage chargers and hulks, and it should be able to one-hit walkers, devastators and the mid-armoured bugs. It should be loving ruining everything at the medium armour level and at least scratching things at the heavy armour level, and it's never going to have any real purpose if it can't do that.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Darth Walrus posted:

Haven't yet encountered a Shrieker nest. How do you kill them? Do you have to get close and look for weak points, or just sit back and pound them into rubble with your autocannon like spore towers?

As many have pointed out, you can plink it from range or just run up the spiral path outside the nest. At the top of the path, if you place a 500KG in the pool it should destroy the nest or if you call down the hellbomb at the top, same thing.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

cock hero flux posted:

thus far the only thing i've found that the AMR can do that the machinegun can't do is go through the front plate of one of those AT-ST walkers but it takes like a whole magazine to do it, and that's just not all that useful when you can just run past them and shoot them in the back, snipe the driver's head with any primary, or use one grenade. Otherwise, the AMR doesn't have enough armour pen to deal with hulks

If the AMR is gonna be useful, it needs more armour pen an damage. It should be able to damage chargers and hulks, and it should be able to one-hit walkers, devastators and the mid-armoured bugs. It should be loving ruining everything at the medium armour level and at least scratching things at the heavy armour level, and it's never going to have any real purpose if it can't do that.
First off, shooting the front plate of striders with the AMR is the worst way to kill them with it.
If you hit the legs or the waist, it only takes 2-3 shots to bring them down.

Secondly, AMR already can damage hulks. Specifically 2 AMR shots to a hulk's eye will break it and kill them.
It also can oneshot devastators if you headshot them.

No strong feelings wrt "should it be better against armored bugs", but it's already a good gun vs bots. The only bot enemies it doesn't kill well are tanks/turrets.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
I feel like this wide open desert planet that has missions where you have to defend mineral surveys against automatons is the AMR's time to shine. Also the auto cannon turret.