Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

lol poe 2 now pls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Stux posted:

uhh no man, like 80% of the builds ppl are farming red maps with are going to melt in wave 30 without extra investment in defenses or a comical level of damage, its why armor/aura stackers love to farm it instead of mapping bcos you get passable dps and can face tank wave 30 double bosses with horrible mods much easier than regular builds which are paper in comparison. and to max rewards requires a completely insane level of investment on a small handful of builds. like one of the best builds for it ive seen was an aurastacker that hit 8x7 reward waves in one sim and the investment for the build was like 7 mirrors in a non-affliction league to get to that point, with other builds capping out way lower than that. i think its unreasonable to say that isnt a build pushing piece of content lol

we might have different standards of good builds and i'm not just talking about literally any build anyone has farmed a red map with ever, but ailment immune + some phys taken as mitigation + defenses from mageblooding flasks will get most builds tanky enough to complete simulacrums. imo it is dumb that mageblood is such a build bandaid, but it does mean that a lot of builds are plenty capable of it. we agree 100% that actually maxing out rewards on it, especially in the last few rounds is something requiring really exceptional damage, but simus themselves, and even up to wave 30 is not really a hard wall for any build with solid defenses. tbh 90% of building defenses for simus is getting ailment immunity + crit immunity. doing it without either is going to be way, way harder

in any case yeah people are making builds specialized to max farm simus and it owns. games should always reward specialization in a specific activity

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 21, 2024

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

we might have different standards of good builds and i'm not just talking about literally any build anyone has farmed a red map with ever, but ailment immune + some phys taken as mitigation + defenses from mageblooding flasks will get most builds tanky enough to complete simulacrums. imo it is dumb that mageblood is such a build bandaid, but it does mean that a lot of builds are plenty capable of it. we agree 100% that actually maxing out rewards on it, especially in the last few rounds is something requiring really exceptional damage, but simus themselves, and even up to wave 30 is not really a hard wall for any build with solid defenses. tbh 90% of building defenses for simus is getting ailment immunity + crit immunity. doing it without either is going to be way, way harder

in any case yeah people are making builds specialized to max farm simus and it owns. games should always reward specialization in a specific activity

the most played build atm is tornado shot and if you look at the top dps mapping focused deadeyes on poeninja they have magebloods with like 8k ehp because they off screen everything in maps, even the supremely lethal affliction maps. that doesnt work in sim. anyway this is the d4 thread butu i dont want to look like im trying to get the last word so if u want to keep talking aobut it we should go to poe thread lol

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Just watched the Wudi summary of the campfire and yeah wow, they finally worked out that late D3 got poo poo right.

Feels like there's going to be a proper endgame now, and way better gear scaling.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

one thing i hoped this game would do is recognize the failure in the d3 campaign and the utter hatred of running it to the point they let you skip it entirely and level via bounties.
Unfortunately this campaign while a lot better is not good for running thru and then they locked seasonal behind it OR They let you skip it.
I don't even want to take away the skip and level via the bounties option, i just want the campaign to be on par with it. it'll never be as efficient as hardcore whisper/bounty runners but it should not be significantly slower and more tedious

It feels like one of the fundamental ARPG* leveling experiences, going thru a variety of environments and notable mob compositions, thinking about how your build will do against X act boss and ideally needing to shore up leveling gear as you go and think about defenses. But it's so much loving slower and has so much completely unskippable cinematic stuff.

D2 really was that sweet spot and PoE does a good job as well (and i am the fool who runs seasonal stuff while running thru the acts). Grim Dawn is entirely focused around that and whips especially with the new drop rates for MIs.
Last Epoch kinda fails here as it's all kinda ez and forgettable. I just still really love that D2 campaign loop and Ive done it at least several times a year since it's release (albeit some were modded)

*The arpg definition chat is really loving funny to me as a rogueliker. sorry, its a generic rear end name and will get applied however and whenever it wants as long as it's got 'action' and 'rpg'.

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 21, 2024

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

we found them, the campaign enjoyer

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
D2 is a rough sell if you aren't a campaign enjoyer and I agree with the sentiments. I like developing familiarity and competence with upcoming areas and bosses and think the mish-mash put anything anywhere approach is weaker. Especially in D4, where you will fight plenty of monsters from the Hell pool(fallen, big fallen, the occasional balrog, succubi, etc) in act 1 and then finish the game doing the same. It's lamer, especially compared to the OH poo poo difficulty spikes of going from fallen in D2 to Act 4 poo poo stompers. Pull into one of Diablo's rune guard packs wrong and you're dead. It's also why I like the Drowned the most, they're so rare compared to everything else.

Grim Dawn is beautiful for this, there's a real rhythm and reward to being prepped for specific spots and getting perforated by bees, bandits with guns and torched by arsonists with heavy fire nukes because you decided to be as unobservant as possible in Act 2. It makes the later acts have some nice weight to even trivial encounters since you want to be aware when real nasty dudes start spawning in like bolt casters.

Which reminds me that D4 has a few standout enemies like undead crossbows and bees shooting bees but it's like 3 enemies in the entire game vs the rogues gallery you learn in other arpgs. I can still remember a dozen checks and warnings for D2 across bosses and certain mob spawns.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 21, 2024

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

The armor is $2.50 but the horse is $57.50

lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Don Dongington posted:

Just watched the Wudi summary of the campfire and yeah wow, they finally worked out that late D3 got poo poo right.

Feels like there's going to be a proper endgame now, and way better gear scaling.

didnt watch anything but this makes it sound like bad changes are on the way lol

Cerepol posted:

D2 really was that sweet spot and PoE does a good job as well (and i am the fool who runs seasonal stuff while running thru the acts). Grim Dawn is entirely focused around that and whips especially with the new drop rates for MIs.
Last Epoch kinda fails here as it's all kinda ez and forgettable. I just still really love that D2 campaign loop and Ive done it at least several times a year since it's release (albeit some were modded)

i will take d4, LE and even d3 levelling over a horrific campaign like poe every day of the week. it would be nice if they all had campaigns that hit d2/gd tier but thats a big ask and the poe campaign is absolute dogshit that needs a skip/alternative

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Its me, the poe campaign enjoyer.

I like the poe campaign because it’s a period of satisfying character growth and i like to race against myself. Once i started timing it, it was like a switch flipped in my brain and i was having fun.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The poe campaign is good enough until the exact point you've run it one time too many in your life and it's criminal that D4 beat them to a common sense lifetime skip option. Once you've had one poe too many it's pretty grating.

I did a hardcore to 90 run in poe and it was pretty engaging in the hyper awareness and respect paid to every potential story threat.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Doomykins posted:

bees shooting bees
Now I want a variant of this enemy that is dogs shooting bees out of their mouths.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Campaign skip is the gear, nothing worse than getting your dude to act5 hell in d2

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Think I would've been pretty happy with D4 as a game if all these features were there on release. Instead, we have a situation where I piss off half the thread by saying I am (legitimately) excited D4 is coming out of EA in May!

The skill tree is still embarrassing to come back to after playing LE. And I'm a little skeptical if the affixes will actually be fun or just passable.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is there a good summary of all the season 4 changes around? I missed the campfire because I was playing noted great game Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I finished the necro quest to get the golem skill but I'm finding the husky fellow underwhelming to the point where I'm considering setting him to sacrifice in favor of getting my ohshit mist skill back.

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much

Jimbot posted:

Is there a good summary of all the season 4 changes around? I missed the campfire because I was playing noted great game Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth.

This was linked upthread

https://www.wowhead.com/diablo-4/news/diablo-4-ptr-overview-season-4-preview-and-itemization-rework-campfire-chat-338169

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ah, I missed that post. Thanks!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's currently a much better version of release Diablo 4, and in May it's going to be a much better version of current Diablo 3

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

What Blizzard really needs to add is couch co-op split screen when in town, so my wife and I can do our town errands without getting divorced.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I missed it too, thank you.

I like the look of the things that they are adding to Helltides.

I still have some concerns about RNG being lovely, like getting an item with the affixes you want but they are all min rolls so you have to go back to the well or just deal with having lower numbers (it seems like the upgrade system will help with this a little). It would be nice if a higher roll just meant you got to max stat faster rather than a lower roll means the item is just plain worse (as in... doing all 12 upgrades gets an item with min rolls to max rolls while if it starts with max rolls you just dont need to do all 12 upgrades. Or something, I dunno, I'm not a videogame designer).

I am definitely looking forward to being able to try to lean into a gimmick by having so much control over my items affixes. Like with my S3 Ice Shard Sorcerer I went fully in on Crit Chance, Attack Speed, and Lucky Hit, so I was able to leverage having two items that gave mana-on-lucky-hit so I could use the Sorcerer Aspect that gives crit chance if casting with high mana along with the Aspect that gives attack speed on crit (each Ice Shard has its own crit chance so I was critting *constantly*). Having a consistently full mana pool helped Edgemasters be a good investment. I could get a boss to be stunned remarkably fast then just sit there and unload an incredible amount of Ice Shards on it during the stun window. It was a blast and I bet I can do it better with the new system.

smoobles posted:

What Blizzard really needs to add is couch co-op split screen when in town, so my wife and I can do our town errands without getting divorced.
lmao

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Having more control over rolls might open a few more interesting builds as well. Back in S1 I was experimenting with stacking Cooldown Reduction on every piece I could find to get my Ultimate to near 100% uptime + whatever the seasonal gimmick effect was that created a enemy vortex whenever your Ultimate was active.

Following guides and pushing super strong endgame builds has never really been appealing to me in games like that. I like just toying around with whatever systems the game gives me and seeing what kinda stuff I can come up with.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

smoobles posted:

That's how it already works on PS4/5, is that not how it aorks on PC?

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
on xbox you can only travel so far away. it isn't split screen, just shared screen. it'll zoom out a little bit.

if one person wants to salvage and one wants to enchant, you can't both do it at the same time

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

wemgo posted:

Its me, the poe campaign enjoyer.

mods? this is some real sicko poo poo

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
rng is ftw

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I still have some concerns about RNG being lovely, like getting an item with the affixes you want but they are all min rolls so you have to go back to the well or just deal with having lower numbers (it seems like the upgrade system will help with this a little). It would be nice if a higher roll just meant you got to max stat faster rather than a lower roll means the item is just plain worse (as in... doing all 12 upgrades gets an item with min rolls to max rolls while if it starts with max rolls you just dont need to do all 12 upgrades. Or something, I dunno, I'm not a videogame designer).

I've seen people say that the system they're using for masterworking is lifted straight from various mobile games, so the elongated grind for materials and the fact that it incentivises you to keep looking for better rolls even after you have a 5/5 affix item appears to be the point

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
all of these games are elongated grinds. thats the entire point. looking for better rolled gear is the entire genre. stop trying to tie modern stuff into design decisions that were made when ppl had 3210s.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Tarnop posted:

I've seen people say that the system they're using for masterworking is lifted straight from various mobile games,

??????

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Been hearing some rumors that the system for combining and upgrading runes in Diablo 2 was lifted directly from modern mobile gaming.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it's immoral for some rolls to be better than others

unrelated, Torchlight 2 still owns and I think it has become my favorite arpg after trying many many arpgs

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
(Guy who has played too many video games, playing another video game) I'm getting big "other video games" vibes from this

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
ugh another diablolike

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
if we really want to point at random stuff it bears a superficial similarity to, weapon upgrade systems from Korean MMOs of yore are right there. Lineage 2, Vindictus/Mabinogi Heroes, list goes on.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

game scholars please tell me the story of the origin of the dodge roll

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

hawowanlawow posted:

that was invented by my favorite arpg dark souls

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tarnop posted:

I've seen people say that the system they're using for masterworking is lifted straight from various mobile games, so the elongated grind for materials and the fact that it incentivises you to keep looking for better rolls even after you have a 5/5 affix item appears to be the point
Ah I see, good to know, thanks.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Dark Design

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

hawowanlawow posted:

Starfox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

oh yeah now I remember. they were actually just trying to make the plane turn left, but some guy from the erotic card company upstairs spilled his drink on a dev's keyboard and the plane did a barrel roll instead. the rest is history