Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
not going to engage with ragebait clicks

instead i have spent the last hour recreating and aging up my DD1 arisen/pawn. I like what I did with the tattoos, idk if it has the effect I wanted but I think they're neat. As you can guess my Arisen was mostly a magick archer and I wanted to reflect that, also I think it looks sick. Annoyed I can't tattoo hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I guess its whatever, it really doesn't matter. At its core, both games are RPGs. I don't give a gently caress about these reviews, I just want to play game already.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i don't think dd1 was very reminiscent of dark souls but they both are fantasy action rpgs with pretty distinct visions so i can at least vaguely understand the comparison. dd2 sounds like it's further emphasising its distinct vision and making design choices that deliberately create points of friction compared to most other games, which is also something fromsoft do in their own way, but it doesn't really seem like dd2 is imitating dark souls any more than 1 was (not really at all)

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Like the hilarious thing is it is a Souls-like....thematically. They are both drawing from a lot of the same influences of Western themed fantasy [Which includes Berserk, which both games draw a lot from], and not to get into spoilers for people that didn't play the first one but they are also dealing with similar ideas on the nature of the world. There is a lot you could talk about there.....

....but no loving way the A.V. Club of all places has a writer that is willing to take the nine seconds to actually understand the material to make those comparisons.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I think it's very similar to dark souls based on my time spent in the character creator. we shall see how this shakes out to the game proper

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I thought this was a Dark Messiah of Might and Magic clone?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Real gamers know that it's a Shadow over Mystara-like.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Come on guys I think we all know that if anything it’s the spiritual successor to Two Worlds.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

dradog 2 is a hydlidelike

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

God dammit they didn't bother implementing Frame Generation either, when you already have DLSS3? Especially in a game that clearly needs it? Come the gently caress on, Capcom.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I think Itsuno said he had to explain what Oblivion was to other people at Capcom repeatedly when he was pitching the game. Therefor it's an Elder Scrolls clone.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I would like to know where the inspiration of Dragons Dogma came from. Though I would not be suprised if it is "Literally Itsuno's D&D sessions", much like most sword and sorcery fantasy stuff that comes out of japan :v:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

I would like to know where the inspiration of Dragons Dogma came from. Though I would not be suprised if it is "Literally Itsuno's D&D sessions", much like most sword and sorcery fantasy stuff that comes out of japan :v:

it's visually and aesthetically D&D with the usual dash of berserk thrown in for good measure, though the gameplay's more of a bastard child of shadow of the colossus and monhun. dradog 1 was a very weird refrigerator soup of a game like that

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Vermain posted:

dradog 2 is a hydlidelike

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
the final day, <24 hours remain

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

Itsuno worked on D&D Arcade, and wanted to do an Action RPG after that. Out of the initial planning sessions, Monster Hunter and then Dragon's Dogma are born.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so27-39aL2w

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Jack Trades posted:

God dammit they didn't bother implementing Frame Generation either, when you already have DLSS3? Especially in a game that clearly needs it? Come the gently caress on, Capcom.

I don't think that would help when the performance bottleneck is the CPU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The setting is very standard Lord of the Rings/DnD western fantasy based in Sicily, the art style was Berserk and Mike Mignola, the central concept was "What if we did the big fantasy party in a single player action game?". As for the story itself....whatever crazy well Japanese developers go down when they get too into Western fantasy, like From.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Mulva posted:

Like the hilarious thing is it is a Souls-like....thematically. They are both drawing from a lot of the same influences of Western themed fantasy [Which includes Berserk, which both games draw a lot from], and not to get into spoilers for people that didn't play the first one but they are also dealing with similar ideas on the nature of the world. There is a lot you could talk about there.....

....but no loving way the A.V. Club of all places has a writer that is willing to take the nine seconds to actually understand the material to make those comparisons.
Yeah the parallels I'd see are ones that dummy absolutely isn't aware of and they're thematic and story stuff -not so much gameplay.
They compared a game where dying meant you had to reload to Dark Soul's deaths, so I'm 100% sure they're not talking about the lore implications of cyclical heroe's journeys and moral grey zones.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Oblivion was just a kingsfield-like anyway :shepface:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Caesar Saladin posted:

Do they still use the word ought all the time? its very important to the overall feel of the game.

You will hear the words aught and naught roughly 57234 times a minute.

You will also hear that these are materials, master, every time you pick up a strawberry. And then immediately afterwards that different combinations of materials may yield different results. Roughly 6321415 times an hour.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Really tempted to play as Colin Robinson now after playing around in the character editor.
Do you think the wolves can be tamed with updog?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Made a horrid little gremlin Arisen and a buff catlady pawn to protect them and possibly throw them at monsters.

Joyboy
Mar 18, 2021

I'm sure everyone feels the same.
IME, Framegen feels like absolute garbage to use unless you're already reaching 40-60fps without it since it doesn't decrease input lag

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Joyboy posted:

IME, Framegen feels like absolute garbage to use unless you're already reaching 40-60fps without it since it doesn't decrease input lag

AMD's version is absolutely god awful but I tested Nvidia's version in Vermintide 2 recently and going from 30 to 60, with Nvidia Reflex on to reduce the input lag, was pretty decent.
I felt like it was perfectly playable and that was a first person game that I used mouse for.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/SamAberdeen1/status/1770502129091752416

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

hosed up that we never find out who wins

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Lmao at the bloody slaps

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I knew Itsuno was giving us more than just 10 classes! Can't wait to unlock Bar Wench, rank 1 skills have some real style and it will only improve from there.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

So is there any downside to setting my Xbox to Norway or whatever so I can play early? I don't even know how to do it tbh...do I need a VPN?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

loving Moron posted:

So is there any downside to setting my Xbox to Norway or whatever so I can play early? I don't even know how to do it tbh...do I need a VPN?

Just go to settings. There’s a region option in there and you just change it to New Zealand. Easy.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Skeezy posted:

Just go to settings. There’s a region option in there and you just change it to New Zealand. Easy.

So I can be playing it tonight and ignoring all my responsibilities?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

loving Moron posted:

So I can be playing it tonight and ignoring all my responsibilities?

Uh you could be playing right now.

Me, I’m stuck at loving work all day but I set my poo poo to New Zealand before bed last night

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Wait can I unlock it early on steam too?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kevin Bacon posted:

Wait can I unlock it early on steam too?

No. Steam has a global release date.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Balls

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Patience is a virtue!!!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mad Wack posted:

character creator is great except is needs about... 100 more hairstyles

I'm sorry to say that the hair in this game just does not look that great, especially juxtaposed with the incredibly detailed and customizable faces. As I said earlier, I experimented with going blonde, but it just makes the lackluster texturing even more obvious. Yes, this aspect is a bit disappointing.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

True Dragon's Dogma experience.