Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Biplane posted:

I wrote a bunch of words here before I came to my loving senses and asked myself why in the gently caress am I arguing about which is best, cops or soldiers, and isn't there literally anything more worth my time, like hammering nails into my dick?

My state sanctioned violence dad can beat up your state sanctioned violence dad!! :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

tokin opposition posted:

Cops keep having panic attacks because they saw a white powder, and there is a *lot* of pent up hatred for cops that's ambient in the air. They're only effective so long as the status quo never changes, and, well...

Yeah pretty much. Violently resisting cops (which I cannot condone at this time) doesn't happen because the full force of the state will come down on those try, so this is only viable if the full of the force stops including the feds and other states.

In a collapse scenario I bet police departments become little armies like they already are, just more so, and they will set up cop juntas and thus they go from an annoyance and vague threat to most people to the actual power and a force that will abuse the gently caress out of everyone they meet.

Tiggum posted:

Only with a wakizashi. And who would habitually be carrying around a wakizashi with which to defend themself? Samurai. Who are the only people who could get away with self-defence from cops? Other cops. It works exactly the same way.

In the wiki they noted an example where a peasant insulted the samurai, and the samurai gave him his wakizashi to fight with. The peasant ran away with it and the samurai was dishonored further, which was only satisfied once he got the sword back and uh, killed that guy's family.

Of course a sword requires intense training to use, so that's still just a fig leaf over how brutal that kind of social order is. Peasants wouldn't receive training or armor or weapons and what do you know, the guys that do run everything and also made sure to block off access from the outside world that might give them muskets.

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

Biplane posted:

I wrote a bunch of words here before I came to my loving senses and asked myself why in the gently caress am I arguing about which is best, cops or soldiers, and isn't there literally anything more worth my time, like hammering nails into my dick?

The distinction is politically relevant. There's a reason capitalist states maintain an enlisted / commissioned distinction in the military, and not in civilian police forces. The officer corps is required to maintain control of the enlisted troops, precisely because if you tried to build a military with the same mechanisms that guarantee the political reliability of the police, it wouldn't function as an army. This is why there were military mutinies in February and October, when soldiers were sent against the public in a vacuum of legitimacy, while the St Petersburg cops swung clubs and whips until they faced guns, and then locked themselves up in the local jails and begged for the new authorities to send jailers so they wouldn't be dragged out and lynched in the street.

EDIT: under normal conditions, the ruling class can send the army to shoot down the people, if they have to, and that possibility, as already said, serves as a necessary backstop to the police. That said, habitually using the army for that purpose is bad for morale, requires skills distinct from what you want your army to be focusing on to wage even colonial wars, and tends to delegitimize the army and the state as a whole. Therefore, the advantage of developing a separate force, accustomed to constant repression, whose morale will not be eroded, and who can be specially trained for the purpose, and who do not need to be ready to wage war against actual armies in the field, and so can be coddled and pampered in such a way to assure their reliable hostility to the masses, even in a state of crisis where there is no clear legitimized political authority.

Pomeroy has issued a correction as of 08:40 on Mar 20, 2024

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I will destroy the police

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Is there a Wesson posting here? We already got Smythe

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

Working Class Murderers vs Bourgeois Everyone Else

But enough about my dreamy wish-life

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
https://twitter.com/JoePompliano/status/1770196825036710010

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

disgusting

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

No, no. It’s not disgusting you just don’t have the right mind set! Now would be the perfect time to make a start up offering an app that uses AI to give therapy to sports betting addicts! Ground floor, baby!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER. Eligibility rules apply.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

enter code PETEROSE for a free bonus offer

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Pete Rose turns over in his prepared for him grave

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I joked about this a few months back. Should have patented it then

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Give it a few years and news networks will be doing this with election coverage.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!
so Biden's CHIPS act is disbursing $39B in subsidies for the dubious goal of onshoring chip production. today it was announced that Intel is getting $8.9B to build some garbage that's gonna suck.

quick napkin math - there are about 165M taxpayers. split among them you get $54 for Intel out of about $236. fab!

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 08:35 on Mar 21, 2024

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

that's definitely higher than my usual Intel donation

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!
lol
New program will test graffiti-obliterating drones along Washington highways

www.bizjournals.com posted:

Graffiti along Washington highways has become more common, and the state will soon begin to tackle the problem.

Gov. Jay Inslee on March 15 signed House Bill 1989, which creates a pilot program to test drones to paint over graffiti. The Washington State Department of Transportation also will use cameras to deter and identify perpetrators. Tolling and work safety zone enforcement cameras will not be used during the pilot, said bill sponsor, Rep. Andrew Barkis (R-Olympia).

"I am confident this pilot program will make significant strides in combating graffiti vandalism and reestablishing a culture of respect for our shared space," Barkis said in a Wednesday news release.

He cited a 2023 blog post by WSDOT employees, who said new bridges, overpasses and other structures are often hot spots for the crimes as they offer taggers fresh blank canvases. The post added that WSDOT maintenance teams had spent $1.4 million on graffiti removal over the previous two years.

WSDOT will oversee the pilot, which begins when the bill takes effect June 6. The program will focus on Interstate 5 between Tacoma and Seattle and the 10-mile North Spokane Corridor of U.S. Route 395.

The bill requires WSDOT to report to the Legislature by Dec. 1 on the program's progress, including funding allocation, the effectiveness of identification methods and the results of spray drone testing.

"The explosion of graffiti in our state has become a serious concern that demands an immediate and comprehensive response," Barkis said. "This bill acknowledges the frustration Washingtonians feel about graffiti on our roadways and sends a clear message that enough is enough."

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
irl jet set radio enemy

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

the endless miles of grey and black cannot be sullied with color

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

https://youtu.be/oDrYkwG6Tuo?si=CZxUxKdgmvVOaXkT

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i seriously cannot imagine being "frustrated with graffiti"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

are you wearing a big tan trenchcoat and getting your back tagged by rollerskating teens??

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Rigged Death Trap posted:

the endless miles of grey and black cannot be sullied with color

Yeah I’ve never understood this either

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

there's a big blank wall on the bike trail I use and every so often when they paint over it the first piece of graffiti on it is always "NICE, FRESH GRAY PAINT!"

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

There’s a tagger I used to see whose tag was fart princess, it made me smile

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Even if this works, you're just creating more blank space for more graffiti. You're doing the taggers a favor, really.

In New Orleans, the city tried to force one of the business owners who had commissioned murals on her walls to pay $50,000 to a city contractor to paint them all over. They were pretty nice art pieces, people liked them.

The owner eventually convinced the city to allow her to find her own painter, which saved her $40,000, but she still had to paint them over.

Here's what that corner looks like now.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Even if this works, you're just creating more blank space for more graffiti. You're doing the taggers a favor, really.

In New Orleans, the city tried to force one of the business owners who had commissioned murals on her walls to pay $50,000 to a city contractor to paint them all over. They were pretty nice art pieces, people liked them.

The owner eventually convinced the city to allow her to find her own painter, which saved her $40,000, but she still had to paint them over.

Here's what that corner looks like now.

wow it's cool to see local government making a real difference

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

500excf type r posted:

You're vastly underestimating "police" as a unified whole and how much the logistics and support networks matter when it comes to fighting. Police have it, right now, all across the US. They have it on the municipal, state, and federal levels and they all view themselves as a single team against everyone else. US soldiers post societal collapse will have no support network, no logistical supplies, no command and control. All the fitness and discipline standards in the world won't matter when you don't have food or clean water.

cops got their assess kicked by a spontaneous uprising in 2020 and are constantly shown to be cowards. they’re karens with guns whose threadbare sense of solidarity is entirely reliant on being the only untouched budget line in a dying system.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

My (and probably several other people's) hometown has a graffiti bridge that's kind of a dedicated free space for graffiti and it's a good litmus test for whether someone is worth knowing or not if they get extremely mad about it even existing

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!
I saw some grafitti on a bnsf train car last weekend that said "JESIS WAS AN ANTI-SEMITE" and I couldn't tell if it was supportive or critical

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Je suis Vaas, an anti-semite.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Seattle liberals are awful

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!
lol nature e: thought this was cyberpunk thread
E-contact facilitated by conversational agents reduces interethnic prejudice and anxiety in Afghanistan

www.nature.com posted:

Intergroup contact occurring through indirect means such as the internet has the potential to improve intergroup relationships and may be especially beneficial in high conflict situations. Here we conducted a three-timepoint online experiment to ascertain whether the use of a conversational agent in E-contact platforms could mitigate interethnic prejudices and hostility among Afghanistan’s historically segregated and persistently conflictual ethnic groups. 128 Afghans of Pashtun, Tajik, and Hazara backgrounds were assigned to one of four E-contact conditions (control with no conversational agent and three experimental groups that varied in the conversational agent settings). Participants in the experimental conditions contributed more ideas and longer opinions and showed a greater reduction in outgroup prejudice and anxiety than those in the control group. These findings demonstrate that E-contact facilitated by a conversational agent can improve intergroup attitudes even in contexts characterized by a long history of intergroup segregation and conflict.

One form of indirect contact that has received research and policy attention is electronic contact (E-contact)1,5,12,27,28. Here, individuals from different groups interact via online, virtual, and/or internet platforms that enable, for example, video conferencing or chatting. The use of the internet may bridge interactional gaps between various antagonistic ethno-racial groups in view of the barriers that may militate against the possibility of direct contact in places where rigid segregation norms and rules, protracted conflicts, spatial impediments and so on remain endemic3,12,27,28,29.

Unlike the evidence on direct face-to-face contacts, the evidence regarding the optimal conditions for E-contact remains sparse, thus suggesting the need for more studies to improve our understanding of how technology-mediated contacts can affect intergroup processes and reduce prejudices and hostility5,28,29,30. Likewise, there is a dearth of research exploring the effects of intergroup contact in contexts such as Afghanistan, which is understandable given the volatile intergroup relations and the difficulties it may impose on researchers, relevant authorities, and the participants themselves31,32.

Condra and Linardi’s (2019)33 study in Afghanistan showed that unstructured and unsupervised intergroup contacts may escalate rather than assuage intergroup anxiety and stereotypes, suggesting that researchers should pay greater attention to the conditions surrounding intergroup contacts. Accordingly, we highlight here a particular condition, the use of a conversational agent (CA) to facilitate E-contact, which may yield more fruitful outcomes than E-contact occurring without a CA. CAs are artificial intelligence programs that engage in human-like conversations, using natural language37. Having a CA facilitate online discussions could be a cost-efficient and relatively unbiased strategy for improving E-contact interactions by mitigating the risks of unstructured and unsupervised E-contact interactions by guiding and moderating the conversation to achieve desired goals. We use a CA that does not represent any of the existing ethnic groups in Afghanistan and that can act as a sort of neutral authority figure to support the goal of harmonious multi-ethnic relationships. Although Allport’s7 original concept of authority support focused on institutional and normative backing, we considered CAs a modern application of this idea to the extent that it structures the discussions and functions to ensure a level playing field that enables participants to participate on equal terms and with mutual respect for the opinions of other.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
No graffiti on a highway but billboards are okay?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

No graffiti on a highway but billboards are okay?

that's paid for. that's higher-class. graffiti is the youth doing things without permission!!!!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Arivia posted:

that's paid for. that's higher-class. graffiti is the youth doing things without permission!!!!

Not just youth, inner-city youth. You know, those ones. With the skin color and all.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I grew up sort of passively disliking graffiti, because I am extremely middle class. I think it's partly just a habit, and partly the idea of doing something without permission, which "damages" stuff. I've later spent 5 minutes realising that graffiti is pretty cool though.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Some grafitti looks bad but I like that it exists because it shows that the people in power can't control everything and I like the thought of them getting frustrated that it keeps coming back

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
I was admiring the graffiti last night on my train ride home but one was advertising an NFT so now I think all graffiti is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Whooping Crabs posted:

I was admiring the graffiti last night on my train ride home but one was advertising an NFT so now I think all graffiti is bad

There's a personal injury law firm here that will periodically replace one of their normal billboards with one that looks like it's been graffiti'd over by someone mad at them that they got sued and lost a lot of money.