Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
It won't be long before western militaries are a small officer core for decisions, mercenaries for flashy work, and vast penal legions for everything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The Oldest Man posted:

Solution: you get drafted into flipping burgers for small business owners any time you're not getting sent to die in Yemen

I could swear I saw an article tiptoeing around this during the height of the pandemic "labor shortage" from one of the usual ghoulish opinion mills.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

cock hero flux posted:

the country started coming apart at the seams the last time they had a draft and odds are it would be even worse if they tried it now

the inevitable outcome really is just that they privatize most of the military. they've already done some of this.

That was their hope, if you read the policy books.

The problem is, every agrees, mercenaries will only fight in low intensity conflicts. Money is no good to you if you're dead. Well, technology was supposed to make up for this, making even conventional, possibly high intensity, conflicts low risk, so they could go ahead and privatize.

Only, Ukraine has undermined that premise, so they're back in the same trap they're always in: their ideology runs counter to the source of the power they want to use to uphold it. Meaning, they want to use the military to enforce an ideology that weakens every aspect of the military, men and materiel.

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

It won't be long before western militaries are a small officer core for decisions, mercenaries for flashy work, and vast penal legions for everything else

This was their hope, correct. Read Armed Drones and the Ethics of War: Military virtue in a post-heroic age and Heroism and the Changing Character of War.

The problem is that bugmen aren't actually smarter than all of human history, despite their belief that they are, so there's no One Weird Trick to get around what five thousand years of institutions recognized. Literally since Ur, when organized men first took to the field, the military has been a social organization, it does not function on a market basis.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 00:51 on Mar 21, 2024

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

"A man does not have himself killed for a half-pence a day or for a petty distinction. You must speak to the soul in order to electrify him."

-Leonard Nimoy, Nationalism Tech Quote, Civilization 3

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Owlbear Camus posted:

"A man does not have himself killed for a half-pence a day or for a petty distinction. You must speak to the soul in order to electrify him."

lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

heard it with perfect clarity in my head

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

youre thinking civ 4 though

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I don't want to engage with the facility of "neofeudalism" but no, they cannot.

They rule over us by money, not by birth. It was the whole reasons burghers created liberalism in the first place. They wanted money to grant political and social power. They have no inherent power, by birth their money is their power. Even for inheritance, what matters is that they inherit money. Inheriting a name alone is worthless to them, which would be unimaginable in societies where families struggled for generations to earn "Don", "Von", "Van" etc. and you could be impoverished and genteel, to the point where it was a literary convention, and still have access to what you needed through your name.

In a world where the rich emerge from bunkers, money means nothing, and therefore, they have no ability to rule.

The movie Elysium was surprisingly (with the exception of the immediate happy ending) imo realistic look at what would probably happen if the ultra rich retreat to their bunkers/space colony. They just get taken over by the mercenary operator freaks they pay to do all the dirty work that maintaining the divide requires and/or the oppressed finally get lucky because large groups of desperate people with nothing are always going to find some weakness in the defenses.

Probably because the movie was a really on the nose allegory for things like private gated communities and borders between the rich and poor countries.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Probably because the movie was a really on the nose allegory for things like private gated communities and borders between the rich and poor countries.

In the Jeff Bezos version of Elysium, all the poor people get exiled to garbage space colonies to toil in the dark forever while the Earth is turned into a nature preserve for rich people to go yachting on

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

In the Elon Musk version, everybody on Earth just dies I guess and the whole Elysium/Earth dichotomy is replicated in miniature on a mars base with like 100 people on it where 95 of them live in horrid warrens while Musk and a couple of his slam pieces live in the Paradise Dome

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

The Oldest Man posted:

Solution: you get drafted into flipping burgers for small business owners any time you're not getting sent to die in Yemen

doing my reservist weekend at Goodburger

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Have you considered the IDF model? It's working pretty well.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

I see you and raise you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGCaACqy1Ro

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

the algorithm managed to get me to click through to one of the OSINT-adjacent accounts, but it's interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX68_FZl8UE

Ukraine has been using basically drone speedboats to great effect over the past, what, year? This is something that is probably well known in the ukraine thread that I don't really read, but in the context of modern sea warfare it's interesting. The video talks about how a combination of "it being night time" and waves helping to hide the speedboats from radar help the drones get up to Russian ships relatively reliably, which seems like its something that is going to cause a big doctrinal shift over the coming decade or two if countermeasures aren't developed. I can guarantee that if China/Russia/Iran don't have equivalent systems already they're seeing how effective they are, along with drones in general

I assume that the US has these drones, that's gotta be where Ukraine is getting them from, but do they have defenses against them? Does anyone have defenses against them?

They're oddly reminiscent of the Millenium Challenge where the general used suicide speedboats to great effect.

now I just have to clear this guy's video from my history so I don't get anything more from him

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

TeenageArchipelago posted:

the algorithm managed to get me to click through to one of the OSINT-adjacent accounts, but it's interesting

Ukraine has been using basically drone speedboats to great effect over the past, what, year? This is something that is probably well known in the ukraine thread that I don't really read, but in the context of modern sea warfare it's interesting. The video talks about how a combination of "it being night time" and waves helping to hide the speedboats from radar help the drones get up to Russian ships relatively reliably, which seems like its something that is going to cause a big doctrinal shift over the coming decade or two if countermeasures aren't developed. I can guarantee that if China/Russia/Iran don't have equivalent systems already they're seeing how effective they are, along with drones in general

I assume that the US has these drones, that's gotta be where Ukraine is getting them from, but do they have defenses against them? Does anyone have defenses against them?

They're oddly reminiscent of the Millenium Challenge where the general used suicide speedboats to great effect.

now I just have to clear this guy's video from my history so I don't get anything more from him

time to bring back a huge line of manned AA guns along the lengths of ships

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Regarde Aduck posted:

time to bring back a huge line of manned AA guns along the lengths of ships

there is footage of several russians shooting at one with PKMs from the railing of a ship

it did not seem very effective

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
China built about 100 of these type 022 missile boats in the 00s when they needed something in a hurry in a potential cross-strait conflict.

It can go up to 36 knots, I think its a good size to turn into a suicide remote control boat.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The US and rest of NATO can also fly over the warships with their reconnaissance drones and planes and beam over intelligence in real time well within air defense range too. The Ukrainian drone speedboat strategy is harder to emulate because of some peculiar circumstances that every NATO person is conspicuously ignoring and definitely thinking they can just lazily fly into air defense range and get away with it.

Ansarallah is the better model because they have none of the privileges that Ukraine has, and they rely a lot of flying lawnmowers and missiles in comparison.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

i remembered a british test of a nuclear warhead rocket recently that failed and it made me wonder, does the us test its icbms anymore? it'd be very funny if we tried to nuke somebody someday and the rockets just don't work cause stock buy backs are more profitable than making rocket parts

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Didn’t the Houthis do this to Saudi operated US made destroyers to pretty good effect as well?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Maed posted:

i remembered a british test of a nuclear warhead rocket recently that failed and it made me wonder, does the us test its icbms anymore? it'd be very funny if we tried to nuke somebody someday and the rockets just don't work cause stock buy backs are more profitable than making rocket parts

you won't be laughing when the minuteman goes up, comes straight back down, blows up, and dominoes all its nearby silo neighbors thus ending all life on earth

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

https://news.usni.org/2017/02/20/navy-saudi-frigate-attacked-unmanned-bomb-boat-likely-iranian

Ah here we go

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Don't need to sink them. Just put a hole in it to render mission ineffective and send back to the drydock for 12 months.

Now at a low low low bargain price.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

500excf type r posted:

Why is R centerline to centerline when it should just be the wall thickness, which appears to be constant anyways

well they're estimating the pressure effect on someone on the opposite side of a wall from an explosion in a room where explosives are stored. so R is the distance between the guy and the explosion and R' is the length of the pathway of the pressure wave. the paper was only about 1-ft thick walls because that was the standard thickness for walls of rooms with explosives at the time.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

The Voice of Labor posted:

you won't be laughing when the minuteman goes up, comes straight back down, blows up, and dominoes all its nearby silo neighbors thus ending all life on earth

nah that'd be pretty drat funny tbh

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Modern ships needs to start resembling cruisers from the 19th century, covered in lots of assorted guns to deal with combat at any range, from any angle, whether one ship or a swarm.

Emphasis on guns because a hundred naval strike missiles is far too expensive to burn casually.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Maed posted:

vandenberg shoots off minutemen from time to time at the pacific target range

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

vandenberg shoots off minutemen from time to time at the pacific target range

hmm let me read about these on wikipedia...

no no
oh god no

Manufacturer: Boeing

nooooooooooooooooooo

HouseofSuren
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
Houthi Cruise Missile Hits Israel in Ominous First

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/houthi-cruise-missile-hits-israel-in-ominous-first/ar-BB1kd38B

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

wonder where they got the inspiration...

HouseofSuren
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
You really have to take into account what perspective plays in European history.

For example the Europeans were absolutely terrified of the Ottomans who they considered the worlds supreme military or the best they had par excellence

They attack Constantinople

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Constantinople_(1394%E2%80%931402)

Crushing the Crusaders who form for the defense

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Nicopolis

The city is relieved when Timur threatens Bayezid, defeats his entire military, captures the Ottoman capital, and captures the Sultan alive for the mere act of gaining his attention.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ankara

This initiates the Ottoman interregnum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottoman_Interregnum

Ottomans then re gather and instead of doing anything eastward, march immediately on Constantinople.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fall_of_Constantinople

HouseofSuren has issued a correction as of 05:45 on Mar 21, 2024

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

Modern ships needs to start resembling cruisers from the 19th century, covered in lots of assorted guns to deal with combat at any range, from any angle, whether one ship or a swarm.

Emphasis on guns because a hundred naval strike missiles is far too expensive to burn casually.

Pre-Dreadnkought Battleships with a dozen different caliber weapons ftw

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Yarr.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Maed posted:

Yes, they do test them

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Pre-Dreadnkought Battleships with a dozen different caliber weapons ftw

Exactly. It'll improve morale too. Nobody wants to boast they're a sailor aboard the frigate SS Pissboat but the fat wide cruiser SS Girthy Stallion? Of course they do. It'll work way better on their caps during shore leave in the bars.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Maed posted:

sure they do

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2023/11/02/minuteman-iii-missile-destroyed-after-failed-test-launch-near-california-coast.html

quote:

The Space Force and Air Force "safely terminated" an unarmed Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile over the Pacific Ocean on Wednesday, after a test launch experienced an unknown issue, the military said.

A test launch from Vandenberg Space Force Base in California went awry "due to an anomaly" early Wednesday morning, according to a press release from the service. The cause of what went wrong with the nuclear-capable missile is still being investigated.

"An anomaly is any unexpected event during the test," Air Force Global Strike Command said in a press release. "A Launch Analysis Group is forming to investigate the cause."

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Owlbear Camus posted:

has anyone done any oral histories of the fallout from that?

i gotta imagine there were a LOT of really awkward hookups, reconciliations, admissions and confessions, etc etc. probably more than a couple of unplanned pregnancies.

I really kind of doubt it. It was probably the least erotic half hour of my life. What I learned from it is that if you think you are possible about to become explosively owned in a really dumb way that you will probably just be sort of disassociatively melancholic.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

DancingShade posted:

Pleeeease can they have a ton of tumblehome too. That was a fantastic look.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Facehammer posted:

I don't see why not. They're just floating platforms covered in boom boom. Add on some French hotel uppers as well.

Been a while since I was near some fleet planners though. I uh don't think my radical ideas of "don't make them poo poo" fly these days. I mean they could but I don't have convincing voice.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 10:42 on Mar 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Facehammer posted:

the Zumwalt-class destroyers actually are tumblehome designs