Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

CPFortest posted:

The piano game is a case of patience and practice being your best friends. Except for "Two Legs, nothing to it'. gently caress that track.

I gave up on that song, I will need to watch a YouTube video of someone doing it so I can hear it first. It’s basically impossible to tell what the game is asking you to do, otherwise. Makes me wish the game let you demo the pieces and listen to them first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

The sticks are pretty drat forgiving directionally, just give them a wild mash roughly toward the right note and and it'll register. It makes some of the twin stick moments much easier so you can just focus on timing. The timing is trickier and on the more advanced songs it helps to speed the notes up a level or two. It doesn't actually make the song faster but I found that it's easier to hit the right moment, when they go slowly there's too much anticipation and overthinking for each note.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

i play piano irl so maybe that's why i didn't have too hard of a time with using both hands/sticks. gently caress the battle theme, though

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I gave up on that song, I will need to watch a YouTube video of someone doing it so I can hear it first. It’s basically impossible to tell what the game is asking you to do, otherwise. Makes me wish the game let you demo the pieces and listen to them first.

I saw a video that recommended using the accessibility zoom feature in the ps settings to basically full screen the song ui and I went from about 1800 below the A score to an A in two attempts

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

CPFortest posted:

The piano game is a case of patience and practice being your best friends. Except for "Two Legs, nothing to it'. gently caress that track.

I'm musically deficient. Like real bad at trying to play anything myself. Any sort of rhythm game or something like guitar hero is too much for me. I've pretty much written off the piano challenges. It's a real bummer. :(

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

So apparently the guy who runs the 'Rare Card Shop' in Grasslands will have a new summon's card for you every time you acquire one, a thing told to you in-game seemingly never (or so long ago it feels that way).

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Am I the only one who feels the gay tension between Cloud and Rufus?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Gologle posted:

It is overt.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Gologle posted:

A common theme in the game is that basically every adult wants to sleep with Cloud, some are just more overt about it than others.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Lakbay posted:

drat there's still 14% game left once you hit Chapter 13? I think I'm going to turn it down to easy since I saw a lot of complaints of overly long dungeons and some annoying final sequences

I had to watch the end of Remake on youtube because I couldn't beat the final boss in that and I'd rather not go through that again

I turned it down to easy to get through the trash mobs faster and then turned it back up for the boss fights. Its definitely MMO raid length. Easily 4+ hours of dungeoning.

Edit: Though I do prefer that to FF16 where you think you are heading to the endgame dungeon and then it turns out its all cutscenes and no dungeon, just the final boss fight.

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 21, 2024

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
given the quality of 16's dungeons that was probably a blessing

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Now that I know that “I am so, so bored” is to the tune of Yuffie’s theme I can’t unhear it, and I must share this cursed knowledge with all of you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Now that I know that “I am so, so bored” is to the tune of Yuffie’s theme I can’t unhear it, and I must share this cursed knowledge with all of you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhPSKnESj3c

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Instant Grat posted:

You can tell whether a spell/ability will give you Synergy Ability Points by looking at the icons in the bottom left when the ability is highlighted. The icon that looks like 2 vertical bars in different colors means "yes"

I feel the need to point out that symbol is one of the most common motifs that you print onto a glass sliding door so people don't walk into it. I don't know why I constantly think about this but presumably it is BC I have walked into multiple glass doors

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Near the end of the last fight and the game loving crashes. :mad: The first time it's done that too.

But right before that... what the gently caress is the game trying to say? Why did they do that only to just go nope lol immediately after. I'm gonna punch you Nomura.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
Again, Nomura doesn't write these games and was also the person who originally wanted the Remakes to be straight adaptations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

what does that have to do with punching him

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Why are there multiple chickobo-petting animations when the only one I would ever want it to be is the one where you squish their cheeks back and forth?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Oh sweet merciful heavens inverse controls in Glide de Chocobo.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thundarr posted:

Near the end of the last fight and the game loving crashes. :mad: The first time it's done that too.

But right before that... what the gently caress is the game trying to say? Why did they do that only to just go nope lol immediately after. I'm gonna punch you Nomura.

Multiverse theory is a bitch

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Whats the difference between sharp and soft modes?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

McTimmy posted:

Oh sweet merciful heavens inverse controls in Glide de Chocobo.
Is that an option? Did they patch that in?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I dont understand what I’m doing wrong in Send in the Clowns. I just can’t get past round 4 with the double Joker and the toad. I try to kill the toad first but the Jokers do so much damage it’s hard to dodge both their attacks and fight the toad at the same time. I’m using Cloud/Barret/Yuffie with Barret set up for magic(and he has Pray). I went for this basically right after finishing the main story and I’m almost to level cap just from failed attempts…
Also beating the Tonberry stage(even with all characters equipped with Karmic Cowl) feels like luck.

Is there some cheese method besides setting difficulty to easy?

EDIT: I gave up and switched to Easy. Also couldn’t beat the Corel Intel level 2 VR mission

RatHat fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Mar 21, 2024

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

CapnAndy posted:

God I love her so much. They really nailed the "annoying but lovable little sister" energy. I love her obsession with materia against all sense or logic.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I was sure I was going to be sick of her dumb chocobo song immediately but its grown on me

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Going to be real fun going to Wutai, I assume next game.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
This game rules, I just got done with the Gi Nattak boss and now we’re being whisked off to the Gi Village and I really enjoy how it takes basically every opportunity to throw curve balls at those of us who know the original inside & out. I don’t love all of the changes but it’s just so much more interesting than a straight remake would have been.

Red’s new voice is going to take some time to get used to, but at least that answers who Aerith was talking to I guess!

Gruckles posted:

The Dodge 'n' Dive ability destroys the moogle, and detonates a primed Moogle Kaboom.

Thank you! Time to commit some light terrorism on the creatures of cosmo canyon

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Yuffie's theme is so catchy and they made it a kickass battle theme in Intergrade and Rebirth.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

why the gently caress does the cactuar crush music have to go so hard lmao this game sucks but loving hell man

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

What's up with this chapter 12 optional two-person bout where my guys get unavoidably paralyzed and then chewed up? I can't seem to dodge the shot.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Patch out.

Some bug fixes to specific Red abilities that made them "easily cancelled". I don't know what this means. Personally I see all the time with everyone this thing where sometimes I tell them to do something and then switch to someone else and they just... don't do it. Like they forgot. It's not getting cancelled, they still have the ATB and everything.

Graphics improvements. Allegedly better framerates and quality but no details. There's now a soft/sharp toggle in Performance. Moderately amusing they're still tinkering with this.

:siren::siren:Glide De Chocobo and pirate shooting respect inverted camera:siren::siren: but no word on if Glide now lets you look independently of movement. I suspect not

Adjusted paint on the climbing ledges in Mythril Mine. lol

The two protorelic minigames that now have a Hard Mode now apparently let you replay the Normal mode too? All the patch notes say is "added a difficulty select" but I assume this is what they mean.

It refers to fixes to the game text. I wonder if they changed any of the lying or misleading Assess screens but I have a feeling these will be minor changes.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I just got to Chapter 11. If I drop the difficulty down to Easy and blitz the main story, about how many hours do I have left? On a bit of a time crunch before I'm off for several months without the PS5 and hoping to at least get the main story completed before then.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

This game rules, I just got done with the Gi Nattak boss and now we’re being whisked off to the Gi Village and I really enjoy how it takes basically every opportunity to throw curve balls at those of us who know the original inside & out. I don’t love all of the changes but it’s just so much more interesting than a straight remake would have been.

I’m still on chapter 12, but one of my small gripes is that this game hews a bit too close to the original source material (barring any major swerves between now and the credit roll I haven’t seen yet, of course).

In Remake, both Aerith and Sephiroth seem to acknowledge that this isn’t their first time around the block, so destroying the arbiters of fate in the climax leads you to believe that all bets from this point forward are off. To walk back from that and basically retread the original game beat for beat seems like a bit of a missed opportunity. But again, I haven’t finished Rebirth yet so there’s still time and another whole game for them to go off the rails. I still love what’s here for the most part though, and I can’t imagine anything else topping this for my game of the year.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Fhqwhgads posted:

I just got to Chapter 11. If I drop the difficulty down to Easy and blitz the main story, about how many hours do I have left? On a bit of a time crunch before I'm off for several months without the PS5 and hoping to at least get the main story completed before then.

Probably still 15-17ish depending on how fast you manage to do things.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

What a beautiful, funny, joyous, frustrating game.

It builds on the already great combat system from Remake, which is deep as hell and strongly rewards system mastery (but I still have to constantly fight against my brain trying to play it like it's a Platinum game). Synergy abilities are all super cool and make me want to watch the animations every time rather than switch to the third person for efficiency's sake.

The character beats are amazing and it's a joy to hang out with this gang of doofuses. Everybody's got a lot of layers and they get explored in endearing and memorable ways. With one big, consistent exception. Whenever Tifa or Aerith offered even the gentlest criticism of Cloud for doing psycho poo poo and he pushed back, they meekly apologized or stood back doing nothing at all. That's really distressing, because it kind of takes you out of the game and becomes too real and not in a good way. There was some of that in the OG too but with everything being more wholly realized in Rebirth it stands out.

Yuffie is real and she's strong and she's my friend.

The plot is kind of there as a contrivance to get you from get piece to set piece, and that's ok. Shinra's gang of cartoon villains are somewhat incoherent as always, and whatever Sephiroth is up to is a bit more clear than in Remake but the details are still confusing. And Aerith is dreaming and/or multiverse-casting at least part of it. But which parts? I guess we just have to stay tuned

Musically it's a masterpiece, but I have to give the edge to Remake just because a lot of the excellent music is reused directly and a lot of those bangers hit harder the first time. When Air Buster came out and Those Who Fight Further finally crashed the party, man.

Mini games. I'm crying uncle, I am defeated. You can submit or you can break, but you cannot escape.

Definitely a GOTY contender, but I guess we find out this week how good the competition is.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I think the Aerith/Tifa/Cloud stuff is really interesting and, sadly, very realistic. It's really hard to support someone who you care about but keeps hurting you. I like the clear signals that Cloud is not OK, that everyone realises this, but ultimately it's not like they can *do* anything about it. But I do agree that they could have pushed back more. It feels like the Gongaga Incident ought to have pushed Tifa to confront Cloud but sadly it's almost the opposite. Like you say, though, it's quite raw and real. I'm looking forward to the next game for sure...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think there's also the fact that Cloud is loving scary. They show us a couple times in Rebirth how terrifying Cloud can be when he gets violent. After seeing him butcher a whole squad of troopers and later coldly stab a SOLDIER who was begging for his life, I sure as hell wouldn't be confronting him about poo poo.

Something I do think Rebirth is pretty successful with is showing how Cloud is hurting the people around him, though. A lot of the expanded elements of Cloud's mental state also show us how much it disquiets the people around him, and how afraid of him they sometimes are. It makes it all even more disturbing.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I really wish they would patch in accessibility options for colorblindness. I’m RG colorblind and keep missing purple chests that are near anything green. The one in the Gongaga airstrip was basically invisible to me until I read online where it was because it was among shrubs and foliage. I also missed Tifa’s weapon on the boat, I probably looked right at it and didn’t even realize it was there. Kinda annoying considering how hard AAA games lean into accessibility these days.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Can't you just buy any weapons you miss at the weapon vendor later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Thundarr posted:

Musically it's a masterpiece, but I have to give the edge to Remake just because a lot of the excellent music is reused directly and a lot of those bangers hit harder the first time. When Air Buster came out and Those Who Fight Further finally crashed the party, man.

This is objectively wrong when Rebirth is the game that gave us Gus's themes.