Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Puntification posted:

It's very funny that presiding over the absolute evisceration of the conservatives won't cost Rishi his seat. Is there a list of which are the 36 seats?

i think we are finding out that the “floor” for the tories isn’t 25% like people seemed to assume, although that could be just shy tories in polling i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Jedit posted:

...that these houses are not intended to provide homes for 250 families, but rather an income stream for 250 landlords ....

So those houses will remain empty with nobody living in them? That doesn't compute....

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Tesseraction posted:

Him walking away from a rose? That's just designed to look dramatic, not imply the distracted boyfriend meme.

It’s more a take on this classic (and oft copied) Spider-Man panel:

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
building loads of houses on the edges of villages isn't great use of resources IMO

we need to increase population density in cities which should mean building lots of medium rise mixed use housing of a high quality on under utilised land and improving urban transport links, not slapping up 200 Barratt Homes specials in a field near absolutely nothing

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

it comes back around to new developments are supposed to have a certain amount of homes set aside for social housing, affordable homes, first time buyers etc. but there is always some legal loophole in the contract designed to allow them to avoid it.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

kecske posted:

it comes back around to new developments are supposed to have a certain amount of homes set aside for social housing, affordable homes, first time buyers etc. but there is always some legal loophole in the contract designed to allow them to avoid it.

The legal loophole is where they argue that affordable housing can't be provided because it's not viable without them losing out on developer profit which is usually 17.5-20% of the development value.

In my experience that's usually more of an issue in town centre sites where there's issues of demolition or remediation of contaminated land etc.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bozza posted:

building loads of houses on the edges of villages isn't great use of resources IMO

we need to increase population density in cities which should mean building lots of medium rise mixed use housing of a high quality on under utilised land and improving urban transport links, not slapping up 200 Barratt Homes specials in a field near absolutely nothing

You can do both.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

josh04 posted:

lol, there was this one in the BBC just the other day, where it looks an awful lot like they've placed all their affordable housing at the foot of a shockingly unaffordable retaining wall.

Also iirc there's strong evidence that the big UK home builders are collaborating to reduce the flow of new homes to keep prices high.
One of the ones round here tried to bulldoze the village centre and argued that they had no funds to replace it with anything but concrete piles, then put a lovely flower garden outside of their sales office and show home.

Fortunately they didn't get away with that for long.

Bozza posted:

:hai: yes, terraces at least

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fuctifino posted:

So those houses will remain empty with nobody living in them? That doesn't compute....

It's not like we don't have form in the UK for selling residential properties that will lie empty.

But, intent must be distinguished from outcome. As a purely hypothetical example, if the people of Britain rose up in anger tomorrow and decorated every lamppost in the Westminster postcode with a neoliberal MP, the outcome would be a better Britain but the intent of those acting would just be murder and vengeance.

Same with this: the outcome is for people to live in the houses, but the intent is not for those people to own the houses. The developers just want to sell them, which is fair - they invested money to do so and are producing goods of value. So when some parasite offers them a bulk buy deal, they go for it to recoup all their costs.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

as good an idea as it is, the people generally advocating for more centralisation of people in higher density living don't envisage themselves living there

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This the entirety of rental properties listed on Rightmove in a county with a registered population of 570,300 people.

There are currently more than 800 families living in emergency B&B accommodation in Cornwall

I'm of the opinion that the argument "But landlords might profit!" is not a valid excuse to deny anybody housing. Of course we need housing reform and greater protections for tenants, but we also desperately need homes for rent. We also need greater investment in infrastructure, as transport networks, schools, surgeries and other public amenities become saturated due to new builds, but that's also a separate parallel battle.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kecske posted:

as good an idea as it is, the people generally advocating for more centralisation of people in higher density living don't envisage themselves living there
I like living in a terraced house right near a bus stop and opposite a converted factory. Let me design the medium density housing.

Not sure about brutalism but if I can get an architect to knee Wes Streeting in the balustrades I'll look into it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fuctifino posted:

I'm of the opinion that the argument "But landlords might profit!" is not a valid excuse to deny anybody housing. Of course we need housing reform and greater protections for tenants, but we also desperately need homes for rent.

It's a valid reason to enforce regulation on landlords.

I personally favour a system of escalating duty and tax based on how many properties you own. Your first two houses are exempt - everyone needs somewhere to live for themselves, and sometimes people work away from home or have to buy a new home before selling the old one. After that, each property is levied more heavily than the last. In this way it is possible to be a small scale landlord renting one or two spare properties, but the mega landlords who own dozens or hundreds will be forced to divest.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
~edit: Wrong thread.

Skios fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Mar 21, 2024

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

It’s more a take on this classic (and oft copied) Spider-Man panel:

Ooh, that does look like the inspiration.

Thanks, nerd (appreciative).

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

fuctifino posted:

This the entirety of rental properties listed on Rightmove in a county with a registered population of 570,300 people.

There are currently more than 800 families living in emergency B&B accommodation in Cornwall

I'm of the opinion that the argument "But landlords might profit!" is not a valid excuse to deny anybody housing. Of course we need housing reform and greater protections for tenants, but we also desperately need homes for rent. We also need greater investment in infrastructure, as transport networks, schools, surgeries and other public amenities become saturated due to new builds, but that's also a separate parallel battle.

There 13000 second homes in Cornwall.
So there is an easy fix for this...

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Jel Shaker posted:

i think we are finding out that the “floor” for the tories isn’t 25% like people seemed to assume, although that could be just shy tories in polling i guess

I would not be surprised if reform uk votes crater in the general and we don't get as funny an outcome as one might hope for; unless it swings back far enough that we get a hung parliament, which would be hilarious.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
As Marx himself said "every man is entitled to at least two tax-exempt properties, in case you need to get away for a long weekend"

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

Failed Imagineer posted:

You can do both.

agreed, but it makes the infrastructure issues easier to deal with. transport emissions are now 40% of all European emissions.

and also agreed re people not envisioning themselves living there. we've gotten into a vicious cycle in the UK of building substandard city housing for families and continue to push people out into the suburbs for "space". building tiny rat box new build flats for Saudi investors isn't what I mean, rather something like "what if Glasgow tenements but modern day" with decent sized rooms, shared green space plus modern benefits like district HVAC, insulation and secure storage for bikes etc

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/SimonDalling/status/1770699733729792232

While it's :lol: and :lmao: regarding the implosion of the Tories, Keith is going to win a huge mandate for promising continued austerity and authoritarianism.

Loving the lib dems getting half the votes of the Tories but getting more seats. If that did happen in the general I would expect their love affair with PR to disappear like a fart in the wind.

I would love it if this was the end for Tories but reform uk is right there.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone know how Brexit affects our rights re: the Consumer Rights Act 2015?

I bought a Razer mouse online in 2021, last year it started having issues so I had it replaced under warranty and now a year later the replacement is also having issues. My 2-year warranty period has expired but under the UK's Consumer Rights Act 2015 it's expected that products will last a reasonable lifespan*. I should have up to 6 years to claim under the CRA 2015 (unless the expected lifespan is less than this, I think? Like a £10 kettle probably isn't going to be expected to last the full 6, but something like a new car or £1000 dining table should). Razer's advertising tells me that their mouse button switches are rated to 70 million clicks which definitely translates to "more than 2-3 years" of moderate office/light gaming use imo.

I just don't know how any of this interacts with Razer Europe being in Hamburg.

* Honestly the fact that laws use "reasonable" as a measure is insane to me, because some people would buy something expecting it to last 15 minutes and some people would expect it to last 40 years.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Mega Comrade posted:

There 13000 second homes in Cornwall.
So there is an easy fix for this...

I agree 100%. Second homes, holiday homes and AirBNB's are a cancer on the counrty, but we also need extra homes too.

Housing reform can be a parallel fight alongside literally making it possible for some homeless families to have a home. Objecting to developments because it will put extra strain on our crumbling infrastructure, or because it will make some oval office landlord even richer is a really selfish move when there are so many homeless families desperate for a home.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Puntification posted:

I would not be surprised if reform uk votes crater in the general and we don't get as funny an outcome as one might hope for; unless it swings back far enough that we get a hung parliament, which would be hilarious.

There will be a 2019 style deal just before the election where in exchange for concessions/money/representation, Reform UK agrees not to challenge any safe Tory seats and only stand in Labour/Lib Dem ones.

Its near guaranteed - these people care for nothing but power. They have zero issue with manipulating the system for whatever short-term advantage they can get.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I used to always think of terraced housing in cities as cramped because the ones I saw in reading always were. Visited my friend who has one in Bristol. Things massive, 3 floors, all the rooms large doubles, 3 toilets.

Actual thick walls to so can barely hear the neighbours. Huge difference in quality.
My guess would be the era they were built in, Readings are much younger.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Surprise T Rex posted:

Anyone know how Brexit affects our rights re: the Consumer Rights Act 2015?

I bought a Razer mouse online in 2021, last year it started having issues so I had it replaced under warranty and now a year later the replacement is also having issues. My 2-year warranty period has expired but under the UK's Consumer Rights Act 2015 it's expected that products will last a reasonable lifespan*. I should have up to 6 years to claim under the CRA 2015 (unless the expected lifespan is less than this, I think? Like a £10 kettle probably isn't going to be expected to last the full 6, but something like a new car or £1000 dining table should). Razer's advertising tells me that their mouse button switches are rated to 70 million clicks which definitely translates to "more than 2-3 years" of moderate office/light gaming use imo.

* Honestly the fact that laws use "reasonable" as a measure is insane to me, because some people would buy something expecting it to last 15 minutes and some people would expect it to last 40 years.

IIRC it is who you bought it from not the manufacturer that you have to take it up with.
Was it an online UK-based firm or direct from Germany?

https://dutyrefunds.co.uk/blog/customer-rights/

Says here rights unaffected by brexit (2022)

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Tigey posted:

There will be a 2019 style deal just before the election where in exchange for concessions/money/representation, Reform UK agrees not to challenge any safe Tory seats and only stand in Labour/Lib Dem ones.

Its near guaranteed - these people care for nothing but power. They have zero issue with manipulating the system for whatever short-term advantage they can get.

The upside is that this time round it will be very funny when labour snatches failure from the jaws of victory.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Surprise T Rex posted:

There's no harm in asking.

As for reasonable, the point is that there's a rationale behind why something would or wouldn't last as long as it does. If you bought a kettle, it's reasonable to expect it's rust resistant, and so if it's rusted in weeks that's not a reasonable lifespan. If your mouse is set to last 7 million clicks it's reasonable to assume it won't crap out in a single year.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

IIRC it is who you bought it from not the manufacturer that you have to take it up with.
Was it an online UK-based firm or direct from Germany?

https://dutyrefunds.co.uk/blog/customer-rights/

Says here rights unaffected by brexit (2022)

I bought it direct from Razer so both manufacturer and seller (I think?).

Just want to know whether I actually have any teeth here given that the support people just keep replying with (paraphrased) "Your warranty has ended, get hosed" no matter how many times I tell them its' a consumer law issue and not a warranty claim.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tigey posted:

Depends how genuinely poo poo the Reform candidates are. There's a bunch who really do think that Sunak is a WEF great replacement globalist (well you know what word they actually think) and will actually run on fire right into the middle of the generals.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Mega Comrade posted:

I used to always think of terraced housing in cities as cramped because the ones I saw in reading always were. Visited my friend who has one in Bristol. Things massive, 3 floors, all the rooms large doubles, 3 toilets.

Actual thick walls to so can barely hear the neighbours. Huge difference in quality.

Glasgow tenements are really highly prized nowadays too, because they're a lot larger and better built than everything that was made to replace them.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

I just buy a batch of cheap and cheerful basic wired mice off eBay every few years. They're usually £2 or less and very basic - but functional and last plenty long enough - usually at least a year, if not several.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Tigey posted:

I just buy a batch of cheap and cheerful basic wired mice off eBay every few years. They're usually £2 or less and very basic - but functional and last plenty long enough - usually at least a year, if not several.

Honestly this is the way I'm going in future. I bought a big flashy gaming mouse falsely assuming that it would be designed to stand up to Gamers who play 25 hours a day and click 600 times per minute with the occasional ragequit-and-throw, but having two of them crap out on me in 2.5 years is just annoying. Even if they'd replace it free under warranty again I frankly cba to have to return/replace it every 12-18 months.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tigey posted:

:wtc: my last mouse lasted like 15 years and I only got rid of it to upgrade to a wireless Microsoft mouse+keyboard set. I've never heard of anyone having to buy a bushel of new mice every couple of years

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Caution 'boro residents, do not vote for the paed

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Cue gammon rage on twitter as ArE SAcrEd fLaG of St George is defiled in this manner.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Only just realising what an apt name Rod Liddle is for a nonce

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I tend to buy mice and keyboards every 3-5 years as things like the cables or plastic starts to wear away.

Will apart from that keyboard I bought and had to replace like two months later because muggins here spilled an entire pint of beer into it because I'd carelessly put it in the path of rotation for my chair.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Tesseraction posted:

I tend to buy mice and keyboards every 3-5 years as things like the cables or plastic starts to wear away.

Will apart from that keyboard I bought and had to replace like two months later because muggins here spilled an entire pint of beer into it because I'd carelessly put it in the path of rotation for my chair.
I had a Logitech wireless keyboard / trackpad for controlling the living room media PC that lasted for years and years, even after I spilled a good portion of curry into it.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Mega Comrade posted:

I have a teeny tiny 2-up 2-down in a terrace built in 1904 and my walls are thick enough to keep like 99% of neighbour noise out. It'd be cramped for anyone more than a couple these days, I guess, but it suits me and cats and books just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Failed Imagineer posted:

Only just realising what an apt name Rod Liddle is for a nonce

When I worked in a call centre a friend got a call from a man named Wayne Raper. Now, admittedly that's a worse name in Scotland than elsewhere, but I honestly cannot imagine living with that name and not changing it immediately.

Another memorable case was an incident involving a Mr Richard Poole and Ms Jacqueline Sex. I honestly thought I was getting pranked--never heard of "Sex" being a surname before or since, and who the gently caress would believe me when I tell them I had a case where Dick Pull rear-ended Jacky Sex?