Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Can't believe Leo tried turning the country WOKE, now we can finally focus on the important issues, like only rental housing as far as the eye can see!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Who is/was Leo gonna lose re-election to anyway?

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
Coveney won’t contest for the leadership? Wtf?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i do hope there's a good scandal behind it :hehe:

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Presumably he doesn't want to preside over them getting a kicking at the polls.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Smart egg

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Monica Bellucci posted:

Presumably he doesn't want to preside over them getting a kicking at the polls.

Back to back with losing a referendum. It would be very embarrassing, better for him to leave now.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Yeah he did say he wanted to retire from politics at 50, so I guess he took the referendum result as a wake up call and decided to anticipate things.

I am, however, partial to the "going back to work after a bank holiday sucks" school of thought.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
He's only 45!

Still plenty of time for him to do the full Nick Clegg route and Davos his way into a VP-ship or board seat at one or more big MNCs

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Speaking of Leo, is there a good compiled list of his misdeeds? I know the thread is fairly anti-Leo and while I don't really have any particular reason to like him, he seems "fairly ok" as far a conservative politicians go - with the obvious failures to address things like the housing crisis or rise of the far right while in power. It may just be that my personal experience for conservative politicians is on a scale that goes from Berlusconi to Orban, so it may skew my baseline so far that what seems like a milquetoast one barely registers, but I may be missing something.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

That Italian Guy posted:

Speaking of Leo, is there a good compiled list of his misdeeds? I know the thread is fairly anti-Leo and while I don't really have any particular reason to like him, he seems "fairly ok" as far a conservative politicians go - with the obvious failures to address things like the housing crisis or rise of the far right while in power. It may just be that my personal experience for conservative politicians is on a scale that goes from Berlusconi to Orban, so it may skew my baseline so far that what seems like a milquetoast one barely registers, but I may be missing something.

I'm sure that people will be able to draw up a list of his misdeeds.

I always go back to minor stuff, like his comments in the Dail about how if people want to get a house they can always ask "for a loan from the bank of mom and dad."

Or how he was behind a campaign to report "social welfare cheats" because he cared about "the Irish people who get up early to go to work."

There was him having to withdraw planned celebration of the Royal Irish Constabulary and other pre-treaty police forces when it was pointed out that it would be a celebration of the Black and Tans. His response to this was to give Ireland a lecture on how small minded they were not to want to celebrate state sponsored violence.

Oh and his baffling comments about how he wished he could be a Tory, but that the Tories now aren't like the good Tories in Thatcher's days.

My wife also contends that Leo's support in the abortion referendum were in no way sincere and that he didn't in any way care about the lives and health of women, and that he just did it for political points and no other reason. That's harder to establish and more of a "gut feeling one."

Basically, the impression I always got from Leo is that he was always driven by a deep and real hatred of anyone outside of his social strata or anyone who didn't want to lick the boots of "their betters." (And that he wanted to be one of these betters.)

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Leo cares about Leo and how Leo looks to Leo. He blatantly goes no gently caress about Ew dirty poors and recently moved to my area as it is the new hotness according to people like Leo but has been massively gentrified previously by all the gay people Leo does not give a gently caress about. He is uniformly hated around here.

He gives off massive pulling ladders up energy because that is who he is, someone who makes Tory cunts look left wing.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I'd put money on this being a party decision rather than a personal decision for Varadkar. Harris gets to go into an election he's not expected to win, without Leo's history. If they do get to form the government he'll be the big man. If they don't he'll get to have a proper go at people, something he showed signs of being very capable of while in health. And he didn't do the worst job in health, i.e. he came out of that department intact as a politician, a real trial by fire.

Varadkar's "one of the girls" (which is weird as gently caress, Love Actually? oh those days ago. One of the very strange extremely posh sounding girls who shop in BTs) wouldn't fly with the severity of issues being hyped up for this election. It's no longer "Let's get the good times rolling again." Harris is far more serious as a politician, and I feel more capable than Varadkar. Of course Paschal and Coveney get to keep their powder dry for five years from now, and an actual contest.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I've never met Varadkar but I've come very close on two occasions. People who he met were never really impressed with him in a personal manner.

The weirdest story I've heard through the grapevine is that his partner loves TCGs and was asked not to go to any events after Leo ran for FG leader specifically to avoid any potential embarrassment. It does kinda line up with that one time he tried to do the Trudeau socks gimmick early in his first term as taoiseach and then never again.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Varadkar always struck me as a fella who tried a pint when he was 15 and didn't like it and never tried it again despite the entire country drinking pints. Just horrifically out of touch and in need of spending time among people.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Also his continual rules for thee but not for me gaffes are almost custom designed to make Irish people hate him.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Skull Servant posted:

I've never met Varadkar but I've come very close on two occasions. People who he met were never really impressed with him in a personal manner.

The weirdest story I've heard through the grapevine is that his partner loves TCGs and was asked not to go to any events after Leo ran for FG leader specifically to avoid any potential embarrassment. It does kinda line up with that one time he tried to do the Trudeau socks gimmick early in his first term as taoiseach and then never again.

The fact that Leo has said today that his partner was never cut out for political life makes me 100% believe the truth of the "no gaming" rumours.

Varadkar says political life was 'never' for partner Matt as he laughs off 'legacy' questions

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Had to google TCGs and had a good lol

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
lol at the idea of the partner giving it a tactful few days before quietly getting the Magic decks down from the top shelf

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Getting milled so hard that you end your partner's political career.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Mrenda posted:

Varadkar always struck me as a fella who tried a pint when he was 15 and didn't like it and never tried it again despite the entire country drinking pints. Just horrifically out of touch and in need of spending time among people.

He may not like pints but I've heard he's big into his MDMA and rumors Meth too.
Supposedly it's an open secret in the Gay community that he's big into partying and getting off with men in their 20s.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Resigning because my SO chose Squirtle as a starter.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Marenghi posted:

He may not like pints but I've heard he's big into his MDMA and rumors Meth too.
Supposedly it's an open secret in the Gay community that he's big into partying and getting off with men in their 20s.

I mean there was a widely circulated video of him doing just that so I don't think it's much of a secret. It was the only time he ever came within a lightyear of Normal Human so naturally it was hushed up quickly

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Marenghi posted:

The drug use and the open relationships? That's fine. People understand that politicians have human failings.

But my partner being into Nerd games? No, the country isn't ready for that.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Marenghi posted:

...like most of the gay dudes I have ever met.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Skull Servant posted:

I'll do you one better. Matt stopped playing in Gamer's World on Jervis street because my friend who is also gay kept loudly asking him how it felt to be loving the minister for health. Varadkar was always hated in the community apparently.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

I'll do you one better. Matt stopped playing in Gamer's World on Jervis street because my friend who is also gay kept loudly asking him how it felt to be loving the minister for health. Varadkar was always hated in the community apparently.

That's exactly the story I heard. When I was living in Ireland I only went to Gamers World a few times but as soon as my interest in politics came up, that story was told. Glad someone else can confirm it. It's hilarious.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Arquinsiel posted:

Hmmm on the one hand homophobic bullying...OTOH he's partner to one of the biggest cunts in the country.

Eh.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Is it really homophobic when everyone involved is gay though? I feel like I am not qualified to answer that.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Yeah, can't comment on the entire community but at least in my case the story was told by someone LGBT to me. I've been out for a while now and our group was partly built out of us playing TCGs at the local LGBT group. There are absolutely homophobic people in nerd circles but, for the most part, the scene is sound. That's the first time I interpreted the story as homophobic. It is a fine line between legitimate criticism of those associated with the government and being a dickhead and I don't blame anyone who might think it crosses it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah idk, I wouldn't get worked up about it, but I've definitely known some gay people to do and say pretty homophobic poo poo, and not just in the "reclaiming insults for ourselves" sense.

But tbf that's usually been much younger gays, and I'm probably talking over a decade ago, and also I'm a boring cis straight lad approaching middle age so it's not like my postings on the gays should be given any more credence than my bad takes on politics

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Simon Harris oh my stars

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

For some reason every time I hear his name I think of Calvin Harris first for about a second and a half, and then I’m really disappointed it’s not him.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Calvin Harris owns a working Amiga 1200 so he is good in my books

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

If you told me last week that Simon Harris was going to be Taoiseach in April I would've laughed you out of the room. Now it's reality?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's fairly stupid alright, he's a massive dickhead who has failed upwards his whole career. I guess Coveney and Donohue have agreed that he's the right guy to absorb the boot to the balls from the electorate next year and they'll get in there the next swing around.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Countdown to headlines of ELECTORAL HARRISMENT.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
he's new to me but i did see him standing behind leo at his resignation speech and i wondered who the sad count chocula was

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
He was a fairly unpopular Minister for Health and is.. I don't know what he's working at atm because they change every few months thanks to the coalition, is he Housing now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

So, new thread title in the works?