Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

shrike82 posted:

https://twitter.com/rockpapershot/status/1770469696464191987?s=20

Welp, performance even on a high end PC sounds like a shitshow

I watched a stupid amount of reviews so can't find the specific ones/parts. But it looks like it is more a CPU thing, and it is definitely way worse in the cities.
(not that any of that is cool or good)
Someone had a 4090 and 14900, got over 100fps in the wilds during the fights with all the lovely effects popping off...until the town, then got 20-30. holy poo poo. Not a great deal (appears to be) happening in the towns relatively. Well other than NPCs LOD phasing into existence about 10 feet in front of you.
Hopefully it can be improved (a lot) but drat, they've been making it for a long while.
I've been looking forward to it for ages so I really hope so

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

FSR 3.1 dropped https://community.amd.com/t5/gaming/amd-fsr-3-1-announced-at-gdc-2024-fsr-3-available-and-upcoming/ba-p/674027

better upscaling quality, and framegen has been decoupled from upscaling so you can use it with DLSS or whatever (technically that was already possible but AMD is endorsing it now)

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

this would make for a nice sff build
https://twitter.com/3DCenter_org/status/1770426633281028130?s=20

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hoo boy, that is gorgeous

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lmao, the 551.86 Geforce drivers don't allow you to not install Geforce Experience anymore.

https://streamable.com/8kqypu

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 21, 2024

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Lmao, the 551.86 Geforce drivers don't allow you to not install Geforce Experience anymore.

I'm pretty sure this is early enablement for the NVIDIA app replacing GeForce experience, because it'll also eventually be your control panel so you can't really go without it.

Kinda stupid for now though when they best thing to do is immediately remove it to use the NVIDIA app.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

drat. So pretty.
Wonder if it'd take my 4080 one or if it's strictly 4070?

Actually on further reading it looks like it will cost a fortune and be hard to even get hands on one.
I really shouldn't start down the itx/mini rabbit hole either.

God though, look at the full video of the thing it is really something else...
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1oy421v77p/?t=68.0

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Downloaded it via the Nvidia app, selected the "express" option, and it did not install GFE.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

NvCleanstall 1.16 allowed me to install the 551.86 drivers with nothing else.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I assume the case would be obsolete unless they make a successor card that's nearly the exact same dimensions.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

That is true, but that's not really the point of the case. You'll just get some new specialty boutique case when you want to upgrade.

Somebody made another case specifically for the white Asus RTX 4060 Ti Dual (i think?) that looked pretty sick, but I can't find it anymore.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Mar 21, 2024

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Gucci Loafers posted:

I assume the case would be obsolete unless they make a successor card that's nearly the exact same dimensions.

This is a case for the kind of person who would just build a whole new PC when the GPU falls behind.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

shrike82 posted:

https://twitter.com/rockpapershot/status/1770469696464191987?s=20

Welp, performance even on a high end PC sounds like a shitshow

https://www.pcgamer.com/games/rpg/dragons-dogma-2-performance-analysis/
1440p results and 1080p results are almost identical (and both with terrible 1% lows in the city), showing just how CPU-limited it is even on relatively high-end CPUs

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Bofast posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/games/rpg/dragons-dogma-2-performance-analysis/
1440p results and 1080p results are almost identical (and both with terrible 1% lows in the city), showing just how CPU-limited it is even on relatively high-end CPUs

They didn't test an X3D CPU. I wonder if the extra cache would help.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Animal posted:

They didn't test an X3D CPU. I wonder if the extra cache would help.

I haven't seen X3D CPU tests for the game at all, which feels strange. I'm extremely curious to see how much v-cache helps vs. throwing more cores/threads at the problem (which DD2 will, it seems, happily use for NPCs and the like).

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 21, 2024

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

there's very little testing in general because these are just random game reviewers and not dedicated hardware testers. Once PCGH, computerbase, hardware unboxed, etc, get their hands on the game, we'll probably see more testing. Though HUB Steve is on vacation so maybe we won't see anything from them in a while.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I got that 6750xt and power supply a few weeks ago, but haven't posted because imgur is terrible all of a sudden. Hopefully postimg works.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

L M A loving O goddamn.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

:kstare:

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

RodShaft posted:

I got that 6750xt and power supply a few weeks ago, but haven't posted because imgur is terrible all of a sudden. Hopefully postimg works.

This is peak galaxy brain

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Took me a sec to notice the power supply for that computer is on the outside resting on top of the tower. Oof!

Edit: This does make me wonder why there aren't desktop PCs with external power supplies and a simple DC-DC converter on the inside. I guess ATX/ITX standardization prevents innovation like this.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 21, 2024

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

please don't leak alienwares trade secrets for how they're going to fit the 5090 into an old repurposed dell workstation chassis

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

:perfect:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The important thing is you never, ever replace that case

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Edit: This does make me wonder why there aren't desktop PCs with external power supplies and a simple DC-DC converter on the inside. I guess ATX/ITX standardization prevents innovation like this.

never doubt asrock again

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/N100DC-ITX/

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Took me a sec to notice the power supply for that computer is on the outside resting on top of the tower. Oof!

There are, but more importantly 600-watt flex PSUs also exist

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

This needs to be in the OP.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

change my name posted:

There are, but more importantly 600-watt flex PSUs also exist

Neither of those work for high end PCs but still neat, thanks!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nfcknblvbl posted:

sure they do, ask Mr. "why is my RTX 3090 (?) getting terrible 3DMark results, oh btw it can only use like half its TDP because of my PSU" :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
back in x-fire days, i used to run one of my gpus from an external power supply for a week because my psu wasn't good enough to run both at full tilt, but i did have an old lovely one that was plenty good enough for a single gpu

it's as simple as connecting your poo poo to a different psu and then jamming a paperclip into the power pins on the mobo power supply connector lmao

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Computerbase posted some GPU benchmarks of Dragon's Dogma 2: https://www.computerbase.de/2024-03/dragons-dogma-2-benchmark-test/2/

This doesn't explore the problematic CPU performance though.

Please tell me you at least leave the side panel off. That poor GPU.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

RodShaft posted:

poo poo I thought I was hardcore when I stuck a GTX 1070 into an Optiplex. I didn't even have to cut out the case, and the upgraded power supply fit inside.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
You need to drill breathing holes into the side of the case, or cut out room for a 140mm fan

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

orcane posted:

sure they do, ask Mr. "why is my RTX 3090 (?) getting terrible 3DMark results, oh btw it can only use like half its TDP because of my PSU" :v:

Tbf it was a 3080 and he was running it on a battery for a mobile VR rig

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Please tell me you at least leave the side panel off. That poor GPU.

Whaddaya mean, look at all the fresh air its getting! :v:

You could probably get a beefier CPU cooler on there too if you have screws that'll marry with the case's integrated standoffs - I was able to get an ID-Cooling SE-914-XT into an HP EliteDesk by using the Intel mounting brackets but the AMD mounting screws (wrapped in a shitton of teflon tape, because they were compatible-ish)

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Well a 2kW HPE c7000 PSU is always an option.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Saukkis posted:

Thanks, I'll just put this next to my E1.L SSDs on top of the case:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Saukkis posted:

I bet this thing also doubles as a plasma rifle

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I feel that the 120V 15A power limitation in North America is a blessing in disguise since it puts a hard limit on how many watts an enthusiast PC can put out. CPU and GPU makers gonna have to duke it out for who gets the lion's share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

change my name posted:

I bet this thing also doubles as a plasma rifle

Yeah, there is War whenever I've RMAd one of these and I have the broken unit in my hands.