Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

Jack Trades posted:

True Dragon's Dogma experience.

Honestly, this is excellent news. I feared that the sequel would lose the quirky mechanics of the original. I am genuinely elated that this will feel like a AAA indie game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Lol yes

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

if people don't get upset about their character being assigned gay by video game, it ain't dragon's dogma. the legend truly lives on

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Jack Trades posted:

this is the best possible news I could have gotten

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

loving Moron posted:

So is there any downside to setting my Xbox to Norway or whatever so I can play early? I don't even know how to do it tbh...do I need a VPN?

Yeah they'll come to your house and make you eat a can of surströmming, so decide if it's worth that.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I had a plan to recreate Tobias Funke but I am lazy and instead just created a black Super Saiyan looking motherfucker.

One day Tobias you will indeed get that part.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

My pawn is Doctor Gregory House, M.D.

I tried to give him a low gravely voice like House has, but in the actual game he sounds like loving Mr. Bean and I am full of regret every time he opens his mouth.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

still occasionally lol when i think about my first arisen's love interest being that dude who leaves the game on a boat within the first 4 hours somehow.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If it isn't hilarious and inscrutable, it's not Dragon's Dogma!

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah they'll come to your house and make you eat a can of surströmming, so decide if it's worth that.

Surströmming is Swedish. The Norwegians might force you to eat waffles with brunost, though. I'd risk it.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

My only real hesitation in picking this up is the lack of a lock on button. I really lean on that in this sorta game.

It's probably not a big deal, but I know it's gonna irk me :(

still gonna pick it up for sure

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

There are going to be dragon's dogma newbies and they are going to experience a random love interest for the first time. :3:

(I've been evangelizing this game myself to anyone who will listen, but weirdly — or maybe not so weirdly — enough, most of my friends haven't even played the original. I can only hope to get them to experience the successor.)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Walked posted:

My only real hesitation in picking this up is the lack of a lock on button. I really lean on that in this sorta game.

It's probably not a big deal, but I know it's gonna irk me :(

still gonna pick it up for sure

Play a wizard or a magik archer.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Phlegmish posted:

I'm sorry to say that the hair in this game just does not look that great, especially juxtaposed with the incredibly detailed and customizable faces. As I said earlier, I experimented with going blonde, but it just makes the lackluster texturing even more obvious. Yes, this aspect is a bit disappointing.

Imo only finer hair like where it's shaved on the sides, a light beard, or light mustaches look bad in the RE Engine. It's pretty noticeable in this character creator and, like, Ryu's beard in Street Fighter 6. It looks less like hair and more like someone got spotty facepaint at a carnival. All the other hair types look great though.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
What does the preorder Ring of Assurance do?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

What does the preorder Ring of Assurance do?

knowing DD, it assures you bought a copy of the game

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Just realized I don't know whether Archer or Thief got the double jump that Strider used to have. What do those classes get? Is double jump back at all?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Walked posted:

It's not a big deal. You can aim anything that needs aiming, and there's a pretty generous auto-target system that for the most part works just fine.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Roobanguy posted:

still occasionally lol when i think about my first arisen's love interest being that dude who leaves the game on a boat within the first 4 hours somehow.

or this dude

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Roobanguy posted:

Mine was horrifying, it was the Witch from the woods who IIRC was not an adult. I reloaded an old save and redid the end sections in a different way to get a different beloved, which ended up being Fournival. Not the best but could be much much worse so he was also my second and third arisen loves.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Mine was the jester

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Imo only finer hair like where it's shaved on the sides, a light beard, or light mustaches look bad in the RE Engine. It's pretty noticeable in this character creator and, like, Ryu's beard in Street Fighter 6. It looks less like hair and more like someone got spotty facepaint at a carnival. All the other hair types look great though.

I do agree with that as far as the facial hair is concerned. It's why I went with a relatively full beard for my Arisen, the lighter ones look almost spray-painted on.

As for the haircuts, I honestly don't think most of them look great, but hair is notoriously difficult to model. As I said, in my opinion it looks subpar, but mostly just in comparison to the faces, which are truly excellent.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A little bit jealous that content creators get to play the game 12+ hours early on top of getting free copies, while the rest of us that paid $70+ have to wait (another 9 hours as of this post).

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Look on the bright side. At least you're not a content creator.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

quoting this to bring Solas Dragon Age to the current page

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I created some content in the toilet after my coffee just now

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'll get my revenge, any pawn I come across who looks like a celebrity or 'content creator' will be mercilessly thrown off a cliff.

With those who resemble fictional characters I will decide on a case-by-case basis (there is always room in my party for Handsome Squidward)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thumbtacks posted:

Mine was the jester

Feste is beste

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I mean... where does this fall in that spectrum?

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Phlegmish posted:

I'll get my revenge, any pawn I come across who looks like a celebrity or 'content creator' will be mercilessly thrown off a cliff.

With those who resemble fictional characters I will decide on a case-by-case basis (there is always room in my party for Handsome Squidward)

I'm hoping to have an entire party of Sandor Clegane

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Drakenel posted:

Who's that Pawn man?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
How did you manage to miss Pokepawn?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Gotta throw 'em all (off a cliff)

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

When my brother got Reynard as his romance because he gave him tons of gifts to get better prices we couldn't stop laughing, we were doubled over. Its an awesome system, better than the "choose the sex dialogue option" from Bioware games.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Drakenel posted:

I haven't made my Pawn yet but I think it needs to be horrifying in this style. Just need to think of something to go with my Jerma/The Crow Arisen.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah the only tweak I would have made was excluding kids because there are some (like Fournival's daughter) who max out affinity after their quest.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'm pretty sure every single time I played I got either the Duke's wife or Mercedes as my love interest. Missing out on all the funny storekeeper romances because I did all the quests :eng99:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I got Aelinore but then at the endgame after the Seneschal fight Madeline was with me at the beach so I guess it changed? The idea of Madeline being your beloved is hilarious so I'll take it

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

My first beloved was Madeleine, which was fine to be honest. On that run I had no idea what the ring even did and I never gifted it, so it just went with the merchant I did the most business with. I thought it was a good pick mechanically but didn't learn until my next run that she'll show up in Cassardis post-game anyway.

Also on that first run I never even knew Aelinore existed because on my way out of the castle I jumped the bannister rather than walking down the stairs, so her cutscene never triggered and I guess she died off screen two seconds after I left the castle grounds without talking to her.

Looking forward to some more janky rear end unexplained systems that break without you ever knowing they broke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Congrats on skipping the weird and uncomfortable forced cuck quest

e: this time it's a prince, I hope they learned their lesson