Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I love that Roberto was in that first episode, that's what I wanted to see the most from this, having more Mutants appear, even if it was for one episode.

Did the intro always have Emma and Deathstrike in it?

The X-men lineup is the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ok I've been an X-Men fan since I was 3, who the gently caress is the green bald guy? :psyduck:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Rarity posted:

Ok I've been an X-Men fan since I was 3, who the gently caress is the green bald guy? :psyduck:

he even says his name man cmon

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Soul Glo posted:

My favorite X-Man, Pikachu

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Rarity posted:

The answer may surprise you!

He’s no one. He’s an animation mistake by the Korean animators that they refused to fix and instead actually added to a couple of scenes later on out of spite.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Soul Glo posted:

No, not Xavier, the other green bald guy.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Adrianics posted:

My main worry about X-Men 97 (spoiling speculation I guess) is that it will start to tie directly into the MCU/Secret Wars stuff as it goes on rather than staying standalone. There's references to Stark Industries, Avengers Tower and The Daily Bugle in the first couple of episodes which isn't getting my hopes up...

Iirc I'm pretty sure I've read that this is its own separate universe and won't tie into the broader Marvel IP they've set up

This was absolutely fantastic and it really brings me back to my childhood in a fantastic way :unsmith: I'm so psyched about this

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

That ruled and I appreciate Morph giving that Executioner dude a good run for his money. Good way to show off that they're there for more than just impersonations and sneaky poo poo.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Do I need to have watched the original show?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The answer may surprise you!

He’s no one. He’s an animation mistake by the Korean animators that they refused to fix and instead actually added to a couple of scenes later on out of spite.

Apparently not true. My wife got me X-Men: The Art And Making Of The Animated Series a few years ago and it has an answer. I’m on the phone, so this is the best I can do:

https://imgur.com/a/w2sJU4Z

And let’s let Apple attempt to copy/paste that text for me:

quote:

ALL OF THE ARTISTS WERE FANS of the Marvel Universe. So, rather than make up characters for background or cameo bits, they populated the screen with Marvel characters that they loved and wanted to celebrate. It started at the top with Larry Houston; in fact, the first televised images of Deadpool and Black Panther appeared on our series, courtesy of Larry.
Larry explains, "It clicked with the audience by making the incidental characters somebody that they already knew. I then brought in my collection of X-Men books and so did the other guys, and we would give them to the model designers, Frank Brunner and Mark Lewis, and we'd just make background mutants look like characters from the books. I think that really helped the first season because people started seeing what they would now call Easter eggs."
Much to our delight, we discovered later that fans noticed these small indulgences and enjoyed keeping track of them. In the early '90s, there was no real Internet over which to share information, but fans managed. From school playgrounds to college common rooms, from early message boards to office water coolers, word got around. Fans loved these extra touches.
For the eagle-eyed fan, in the opening credits the pink-and-green mutant running next to Warpath has always been a mystery. At long last, Larry Houston supplies the definitive answer: "At first I thought it was a [coloring] mistake and wanted AKOM to correct the animation." But then Larry remembered there was an obscure mutant called Gremlin, son of Gargoyle. Gremlin had been added without Larry's prior approval by another artist. By the time it was all straightened out, it was too late to change the animation, and Gremlin remained.
It just goes to show that effective television creation is not all hard work and rational decisions but can benefit from the fun and joy that the creators take in the doing of it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Ok, well the first two episodes were good though does the animation feel a bit...janky?

Also, clearly we are due from Spider-Man: 98.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

The_Doctor posted:

Do I need to have watched the original show?

nope

finished ep2. show’s extremely good. glad this is kicking off x-men for disney.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Ok, well the first two episodes were good though does the animation feel a bit...janky?

I think they’re going for a certain style they original established, which was limited by the standards of the international pre-internet production. Some of the magneto close-ups feel like they are intentionally undynamic.
The sequence is showing off they could 100% make a beautiful cartoon if that’s all they wanted to do, but an actual animator could give better opinions.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Mooseontheloose posted:

Also, clearly we are due from Spider-Man: 98.

It has some jank, but in a way that evokes the 90s cartoon? Like it comes off as a deliberate stylistic choice, in a way that works imo.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Episode 1 slapped so hard. Storm has really big Megamind "What's the difference between a Hero and a Superhero" energy.

Also Jubilee with massive personality dropping down those shades.

Tom Tucker fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 21, 2024

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/MatthewB64/status/1770484224501420299

https://twitter.com/MatthewB64/status/1770356713381920914

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Ok cool I was definitely getting Capcom fighting game vides during that sequence.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I do not remember Warpath being a villain, it must of been pretty short lived because I've read those Essental X-men volumes like a dozen times.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Cabbit posted:

It has some jank, but in a way that evokes the 90s cartoon? Like it comes off as a deliberate stylistic choice, in a way that works imo.

While this is true I also think it's a stylistic choice that helps them cut a few corners that they wouldn't if they were really super fixated on making it look maximum good

I don't think it looks bad at all (Probably the best looking Marvel cartoon, with the possible exception of Spectacular Spider-Man) but I dunno, have you seen some of the poo poo that gets put into TV cartoons lately? Good lord

Also that Jubilee dance sequence felt like an X-Men Evolution shout out to me

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Cyclops has too often been cast as the boring leader who is a bit of a stick in the mud, I like that they are portraying him better.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Those two episodes were surprisingly good. And I say that not having watched the original X-Men show until a year or two ago, so there really is no nostalgia colouring my opinion either way.

Also, "You've no idea how it feels to be left behind by the future." was unexpectedly profound by lines-in-cartoon-shows standards.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
They didn’t have to do much to move mutants from a minority metaphor to mutants as trans. Morph being they is subtle but completely logical.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Parkingtigers posted:

Meanwhile, I'm finally going in on Runaways. Apart from AoS (which has so many episodes I'm putting it off watching the rest until I have time to really get into it), this is the last MCU thing I haven't seen. Two episodes deep and... it's alright. Defiantly average, but I'm interested to see where it goes. I actually read the first couple of arcs from the comics, so I am (or was) familiar with what the story started out as.

I'm 6 episodes deep, and got all sad when I hit the Stan Lee cameo. Then while looking up one of the cast members I suddenly noticed one of the mums is Annie Wershing who sadly died last year (and who was so great in The Last of Us).

As a show it's an odd mix of glossy and clunky, and just as with InHumans I'm kind of digging coming to it late because in an MCU where it's constant world/galaxy/universe ending stakes, something smaller and less important feels nice. The villains all being so close to the main characters, and layered in their complexity and complicity in the bad things they are doing... there's a lot here to like, even though it's *very* 2017 in so many ways. I don't even mind that they surf dracula'd the first season, because it feels like giving them time to settle in before they become actual runaways gives time to build up the dynamic of the villains too.

It may all change, but I'm a sucker for these solid 3/5 MCU b-list TV shows. Never bad enough to make me angry, never trying to be prestige TV.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
That x men showrunner who was sacked must have been a real nightmare seeing as how good these episodes are, and how well they've landed with both critics and the public

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OnimaruXLR posted:

Also that Jubilee dance sequence felt like an X-Men Evolution shout out to me

Yeah, I thought this too.

It was quite nicely animated, until it started to loop. Around then it got surreal and a bit weird tbh.

The Grumbles posted:

That x men showrunner who was sacked must have been a real nightmare seeing as how good these episodes are, and how well they've landed with both critics and the public

People get sacked for all kinds of reasons; that he was an arsehole doesn't necessarily mean he was fired for being an arsehole. I find the radio silence over the issue really odd tbh.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
He's coming!!!
Who??? Apocalypse!!???
No, the baby!!
Oh.

I love how there's this silly bit and then Magnetos speech at the end but both are tonely consistent.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

People get sacked for all kinds of reasons; that he was an arsehole doesn't necessarily mean he was fired for being an arsehole. I find the radio silence over the issue really odd tbh.

You don't get sacked as the showrunner/EP of a big franchise TV show a week before air for 'all kinds of reasons'. It's safe to assume that whatever happened was fairly serious.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Gyrich's speech in the prison about how tolerance is just a fad is peak X-Men writing.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Skios posted:

Gyrich's speech in the prison about how tolerance is just a fad is peak X-Men writing.

It's crazy how they've snuck so much good writing into the (appropriately) hammy VO. A lot of the dialogue had me feeling that if that quality of writing made it way over to their live action stuff I'd be a happy man. It's genuinely funny too! The jokes are a step up from the tired quips of the live action films. - silly, surprising, don't feel like they've been farted out the production line by a zillion writers rooms. I'll give you a C-section! really caught me by surprise and made me laugh in a way the MCU hasn't.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The Grumbles posted:

You don't get sacked as the showrunner/EP of a big franchise TV show a week before air for 'all kinds of reasons'. It's safe to assume that whatever happened was fairly serious.

People are capricious and strange. Could be that he was pushed out for his arseholery. Could be he was an arsehole, but he was pushed out for having an onlyfans. Could be that he was an arsehole, but he rejected a pass from someone with too much power. Could be that he wanted to make his show "too gay".

I don't doubt that his being fired is a serious matter, because losing your job is serious, but he wasn't necessarily rejected for being a bad person to work for. It's not like Ike Perlmutter faced any real consequences for his bathroom policy, after all.

The only thing we know is that we don't know.

Skios posted:

Yeah, I thought both villain speeches (one each episode) were very strong, as was the capriciousness of the X-Men's senator "ally".

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Parkingtigers posted:

I'm 6 episodes deep, and got all sad when I hit the Stan Lee cameo. Then while looking up one of the cast members I suddenly noticed one of the mums is Annie Wershing who sadly died last year (and who was so great in The Last of Us).

As a show it's an odd mix of glossy and clunky, and just as with InHumans I'm kind of digging coming to it late because in an MCU where it's constant world/galaxy/universe ending stakes, something smaller and less important feels nice. The villains all being so close to the main characters, and layered in their complexity and complicity in the bad things they are doing... there's a lot here to like, even though it's *very* 2017 in so many ways. I don't even mind that they surf dracula'd the first season, because it feels like giving them time to settle in before they become actual runaways gives time to build up the dynamic of the villains too.

It may all change, but I'm a sucker for these solid 3/5 MCU b-list TV shows. Never bad enough to make me angry, never trying to be prestige TV.

Not allowing the parents to be proper supervillains was such a baffling choice, especially given that the kids still have powers. Instead of "Our Parents Are Supervillains!", the parents are just assholes, and the kids randomly get powers for unrelated reasons. Still, I enjoyed season one, but the later seasons seemed to get no discussion at all.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'm kinda surprised nobody's mentioned the sound work in X-Men '97, or the lack thereof. The SFX for most of the powers, and combat in general, is soft, low-volume and lacking in impact. Compare it to the original series, which had clear, distinctive effects with real oomph behind them. It feels to me like the original had spotty animation quality but top notch audio production and the new one flipped that around.

E: it's easy to tell just by playing the respective intros back to back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1P3CR32uCM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAkL2-vh2Sk

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 21, 2024

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I was ready to hate this show as I haven’t liked marvel in a while but X-men is pretty good or much better than it has any right to be. I am also laser targeted by this nostalgia so maybe that’s it.

My only gripe is some of the old VA’s sound rough and animation can go from really good to Bad cgi-tier between scenes. Also, that they can’t directly reference the holocaust is really weird considering how important that is.

It’s strongly written and the action has been great, it could torpedo itself later but this actually seems good.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

SimonChris posted:

Still, I enjoyed season one, but the later seasons seemed to get no discussion at all.

I watched all of Season One and this is the first time I've been made aware it even had later seasons!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I might have finished the first season of Runaways, but definitely the only thing I watched from the later seasons was the Cloak & Dagger crossover.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I'm a huge mark for the original Runaways run and am pretty much a live action Marvel apologist for everything and I still only watched two or three episodes of the show before drifting off from it. I keep meaning to go back.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Golden Bee posted:

I think they’re going for a certain style they original established, which was limited by the standards of the international pre-internet production. Some of the magneto close-ups feel like they are intentionally undynamic.
The sequence is showing off they could 100% make a beautiful cartoon if that’s all they wanted to do, but an actual animator could give better opinions.

I think it moves like an Archer episode is what I come down on. It maybe nostalgia filter here, I haven't watched the old series in awhile but it feels a little less fluid maybe?

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

It's definitely less fluid, until it chooses to be for like a twenty seconds action scene.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

McSpanky posted:

I'm kinda surprised nobody's mentioned the sound work in X-Men '97, or the lack thereof. The SFX for most of the powers, and combat in general, is soft, low-volume and lacking in impact. Compare it to the original series, which had clear, distinctive effects with real oomph behind them. It feels to me like the original had spotty animation quality but top notch audio production and the new one flipped that around.

E: it's easy to tell just by playing the respective intros back to back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1P3CR32uCM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAkL2-vh2Sk

Maybe this is because the new episodes are mixed for more modern/fancy sound setups. I listened to it on headphones with spatial audio and it was all really punchy as well as being very immersive 3D sound. Sometimes when that gets mixed down to stereo it loses its oomph?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The Grumbles posted:

Maybe this is because the new episodes are mixed for more modern/fancy sound setups. I listened to it on headphones with spatial audio and it was all really punchy as well as being very immersive 3D sound. Sometimes when that gets mixed down to stereo it loses its oomph?

Yeah, the show is in 5.1 Atmos and that youtube upload is not, so it's flattened the sound quite a bit. It's particularly noticeable with the electricity sound effects on the X-Men '97 logo at the end of the credit sequence, it's much more boring on the youtube upload than on D+.

It's still true that the sound effects on the rest of the video are a lot less pronounced than in the 90s credit sequence, but yeah, back then they had to mix things to make sure that you could discern the SNIKT on your 15 inch CRT's tiny mono speaker.