Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Shinjobi posted:

That little wave from Piccolo though

Shot right through my heart

He and Pan’s teacher are totally low-key hooking up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Shinjobi posted:

That little wave from Piccolo though

Shot right through my heart

I wasn't expecting them to double down on him and Janet

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Buglord

Mr.Acula posted:

People are actually excited for that xmen show? I thought the animation style looked horrible.

I don't know what style you call it, but it's a style unique to the era. I really like it, but digital animation tools don't really capture the effect. It feels like a wasted effort in that regard. It's all about the nostalgia rush and "good enough" will get fans to buy the new toys.

Much like how post-Toriyama Dragon Ball will be, if not already is.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

mycot posted:

The very very beginning of the Viz translation (like before Raditz meets Goku) is bizarrely bad, I remember feeling like I was tripping when reading it for the first time. It evens out soon though, it's just a weird opening.

I remember Piccolo having some amusing speech patterns and Goku talking in full on farmer slang.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nanigans posted:

Fuckin Funimation
freeza is a fair tl but this angle isnt really valid because otherwise you'd be demanding kurapika in hxh be translated as curapikt

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i want him to be translated as crapika

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Even TFS makes fun of the i in “Frieza”

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Endorph posted:

freeza is a fair tl but this angle isnt really valid because otherwise you'd be demanding kurapika in hxh be translated as curapikt

I'd agree if it weren't because:
1) "Fryza"
2) It comes from "freezer"

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
Manga hiatus returns to ambiguous:

https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1770769615007727969

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nanigans posted:

Even TFS makes fun of the i in “Frieza”
even TFS makes fun of trans women too but unfortunately i like those also

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Judge Tesla posted:

I remember Piccolo having some amusing speech patterns and Goku talking in full on farmer slang.
Yeah, they went really deep into being Correct and Accurate so they ended up playing up the distinction between how Piccolo and Goku talked. I dimly recall it evened out later in the series, or perhaps they figured out that no, people aren't going to get mad if Piccolo uses a contraction occasionally.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

No one has ever actually read "Frieza" as Fryza, this is something people just tell themselves.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Endorph posted:

even TFS makes fun of trans women too but unfortunately i like those also

I’m sorry if my spelling preferences for space lizard hitler may have upset you. Gommennasai.

Funky Valentine posted:

No one has ever actually read "Frieza" as Fryza, this is something people just tell themselves.

Someone who read the manga before watching the anime could.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 21, 2024

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Why do you guys get so sniffy about translations anyway? They're going to be imperfect by their nature, Frieza just looks a tiny bit more like a real name and less nakedly like the pun, it's just a creative choice

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

No Dignity posted:

Why do you guys get so sniffy about translations anyway?

anime in a nutshell

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Nessus posted:

Yeah, they went really deep into being Correct and Accurate so they ended up playing up the distinction between how Piccolo and Goku talked. I dimly recall it evened out later in the series, or perhaps they figured out that no, people aren't going to get mad if Piccolo uses a contraction occasionally.

I'm reading the manga now and it's especially weird because they apparently did the Dragonball Z chapters before they went back and did Dragonball (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

So Piccolo talks normally when he fights Goku at the Budokai, then it's 5 years later and he's talking like he's performing Shakespeare. But he stops doing it by the time he's training Gohan. So it reads like he went through a theater kid stage and quickly gave up on it once he made a friend.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://x.com/sandlandgame/status/1770812699305255245?s=20

FOREST LAND

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
My favorite characters are Son Gokoū, Kuririn, Buruma, Kamesennin and Torankusu.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Then comes BEACH LAND, then TAIGA LAND.

No Dignity posted:

Why do you guys get so sniffy about translations anyway? They're going to be imperfect by their nature, Frieza just looks a tiny bit more like a real name and less nakedly like the pun, it's just a creative choice

Related, Krillin is a better choice than leaving it as Kuririn.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Nanigans posted:

My favorite characters are Son Gokoū, Kuririn, Buruma, Kamesennin and Torankusu.

When I was a kid I thought Tien was just a first name and Shinhan was his last name.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Blaze Dragon posted:

https://youtu.be/wI3NvIE9zMs?si=dQuRcpnUkzHyPdzq

This AMV rocks, the entire thing is new instead of using animation from the show while still directly referencing so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd-PQt6o0JM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCRANHCLMvE

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

I absolutely knew someone back in school who did. They were also one of those people who insists that it's Bejeta, not Vegeta though

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The way Viz handles translation differences when they license a manga but not the anime can be pretty bizarre and inconsistent. Something incredibly popular in the west like Dragon Ball has all sorts of name and terminology differences, and then you have something like Detective Conan where they decided to stick with the extensive name changes from the rather short-lived Funimation localization of the anime.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Srice posted:

The way Viz handles translation differences when they license a manga but not the anime can be pretty bizarre and inconsistent. Something incredibly popular in the west like Dragon Ball has all sorts of name and terminology differences, and then you have something like Detective Conan where they decided to stick with the extensive name changes from the rather short-lived Funimation localization of the anime.

For some reason the show is still called Case Closed on Crunchyroll as well (I assume in the manga too), I assume for copyright reasons though I’m not sure if Conan the Barbarian is still a thing

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Viz still calls Zoro “zolo” in their one piece translation like 4kids did originally. Not sure what the logic is there since the official anime subs use Zoro. Viz is a strange company

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Reiche posted:

When I was a kid I thought Tien was just a first name and Shinhan was his last name.

To be fair, the earlier attempts to finally use his full name in dubs did make it appear like it was a last name.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

hatty posted:

Viz still calls Zoro “zolo” in their one piece translation like 4kids did originally. Not sure what the logic is there since the official anime subs use Zoro. Viz is a strange company

Still afraid of a certain spanish swordfighter.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

hatty posted:

Consistently with their published product. Iirc the timeline goes “Viz starts publishing One Piece in the states, using “Zoro”, the correct name > 4Kids starts dubbing the anime, renaming Zoro to Zolo > Viz retranslates Zoro as Zoro in subsequent rereleases of the already published volumes to correspond with the dub (don’t ask me why) > 4Kids stops dubbing One Piece, Funimation takes over > Viz does not have the money to re-re-edit the prior volumes, One Piece being more of a cult classic in the states circa 2008 > now there’s like 30+ volumes we’d have to re-edit.

It’s still kinda dumb since, like, there’s a long, long stretch before One Piece became simupubed where it would have been entirely reasonable to just put a little asterisk in the beginning of Volume X with the character bios to say “*formerly known as Zolo” under his bio but excluding that I can at least see the logic.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

hatty posted:

The explanation the current translator's given is that they don't like to make big translation changes in ongoing series but they changed Raftel to Laugh Tale so it really seems to be arbitrary.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SilverSupernova posted:

To be fair, the earlier attempts to finally use his full name in dubs did make it appear like it was a last name.

Kind of like how Bulma doesn’t actually have a last name and Briefs is just the name of her dad (though I’m not sure if that one actually appeared in any official English material or if it was just a fan misconception)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

ThingOne posted:

The explanation the current translator's given is that they don't like to make big translation changes in ongoing series but they changed Raftel to Laugh Tale so it really seems to be arbitrary.

That part, at least, is an important plot point vs Zolo/Zoro just being a name (so far)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

That sucks.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Let's give Toyotaro a chance to have a think on it and try and come up with something more interesting than the death march that was the Granolah arc

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThingOne posted:

Zolo/Zoro is a name choice while Raftel/Laugh Tale is a genuine translation issue.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

i say freeza because i can't remember if the i comes before or after the e and i can't be bothered to learn

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also to be fair even Japanese audiences were like "wait what" when Laugh Tale came up in Stampede

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

No Dignity posted:

there is no anime fandom more insufferable about the correct way to spell and pronounce a character's name than dragon ball

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

No Dignity posted:

Let's give Toyotaro a chance to have a think on it and try and come up with something more interesting than the death march that was the Granolah arc

the ending has frieza showing up and kicking everyones rear end which redeems it

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 21, 2024

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Just throw together another tournament of power I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Just throw together another tournament of power I guess.

Do the ToP we were all anticipating where it goes off the rails halfway through and becomes a grand cosmic conflict